Outlook 2003 Improvements?

For anyone reading who has tried Outlook 2003 yet, any comments on it? Much
improved?

I read in an article something to the effect that, although for the most
part there are not many improvements in the Microsoft Office 2003
applications that would make much difference to most users, not much
different from the last version, there are more improvements in Outlook than
the other applications.

Have people who tried it found that to be the case? Any further explanation
of what you like better?

I don't have many complaints with Outlook 2002, except for problems with
e-mail. I started using Outlook just as a PIM, and continued using Outlook
Express for my e-mail. Then I decided to try doing e-mail with Outlook
instead. Some of the e-mail features of Outlook I like better than OE, so I
have continued to use Outlook for e-mail. (Still using OE for newsgroups
though. I wonder if Outlook will add that capability.) However, I have also
had some problems with Outlook e-mail. (I don't have time to go into detail
now.) Some aspects of the Outlook e-mail capability just don't work as good
as in OE (although the latter is a free program).

I wonder if the e-mail functions of Outlook have been significantly improved
in version 2003? Please explain if you think so.

Also, of course, tell us about any way in which you find Outlook 2003 better
or worse than previous versions. (Just that I have found problems with the
e-mail implementation in versions 2002 and earlier, so I'm wondering if that
has been significantly improved in 2003.)

Thank you.

0
ms7108 (109)

First, Outlook 2003 is "prettier", and includes a new vertical reading pane
that really grows on you.  Most of the work went into "spam capturing", with
junk mail folders that are pretty easy to empty, and better abilities to
search, organize and display email.  Outlook 2003 does not handle newsgroups
at all (which is too bad), so even as MS talks of dropping OE, they've made
it more indispensible.
Here's a link to some company line on Outlook 2003:
http://www.microsoft.com/office/outlook/prodinfo/default.mspx

I've been using it for a few months now and am really coming to like it, but
I don't push it that hard, nor do I have a lot of experience with other
pims, so for what it's worth......

kip

" MS" <ms@nospam.com> wrote in message
> For anyone reading who has tried Outlook 2003 yet, any comments on it?
Much
> improved?
>
> I read in an article something to the effect that, although for the most
> part there are not many improvements in the Microsoft Office 2003
> applications that would make much difference to most users, not much
> different from the last version, there are more improvements in Outlook
than
> the other applications.
>
> Have people who tried it found that to be the case? Any further
explanation
> of what you like better?
>
> I don't have many complaints with Outlook 2002, except for problems with
> e-mail. I started using Outlook just as a PIM, and continued using Outlook
> Express for my e-mail. Then I decided to try doing e-mail with Outlook
> instead. Some of the e-mail features of Outlook I like better than OE, so
> have continued to use Outlook for e-mail. (Still using OE for newsgroups
> though. I wonder if Outlook will add that capability.) However, I have
also
> had some problems with Outlook e-mail. (I don't have time to go into
detail
> now.) Some aspects of the Outlook e-mail capability just don't work as
good
> as in OE (although the latter is a free program).
>
> I wonder if the e-mail functions of Outlook have been significantly
improved
> in version 2003? Please explain if you think so.
>
> Also, of course, tell us about any way in which you find Outlook 2003
better
> or worse than previous versions. (Just that I have found problems with the
> e-mail implementation in versions 2002 and earlier, so I'm wondering if
that
> has been significantly improved in 2003.)
>
> Thank you.

0
jkipk (5)
10/30/2003 2:58:54 AM
For a list of what's new, see =
http://www.slipstick.com/outlook/ol2003/newfeatures.htm. I'd find it =
pretty hard to go back to Outlook 2002 now.=20
--=20
Sue Mosher, Outlook MVP
Author of
     http://www.outlookcode.com/jumpstart.aspx=20

" MS" <ms@nospam.com> wrote in message =
> For anyone reading who has tried Outlook 2003 yet, any comments on it? =
Much
> improved?

0
suemvp1 (83)
10/30/2003 3:49:59 AM
It's not bad but I still think it misses a couple of important features that
are in other programs. I just gave up on Eudora which I had been using for
15 years because it finally crashed once too often and so decided to bite
the bullet and try Outlook 2003.

It's definitely pretty (MS seems to think that eye candy is a critical
feature requirement) but it misses some mechanisms for managing a large
number of nested folders properly.

For example, if you have message rules that automatically moves new mail
into a folder associated with the recipient, it's hard to manage the new
mail, even with the new (10 years late!) "unread mail" folder.  For example,
the unread message count that is displayed beside a folder does not appear
to include unread messages in nested folders. So unless you expand the tree
completely, you can't see where there's new unread mail. Expanding and
reviewing an entire deeply nested tree everytime new mail arrives is
completely impractical.

And once you have looked at an "unread" message, it disappears from the
"unread mail" folder".

Eudora opens a separate window for each mailbox (folder in Outlook-speak)
into which new mail has arrived so you just CAN'T miss any new important
messages. I haven't found any other mail program that does this. In
particular, since you close those windows yourself, even if you've read a
message, you can leave the window open so you can see it again later. I know
OL has all sorts of things in it for "marking" messages for further action
but somehow that seems like extra work.

I haven't looked deeply at the rule system but it looks like there's no rule
that you can use that would simply put incoming mail into a folder with the
same name as the FROM address (or  if there's a contact for the address,
then the NAME associated with the FROM address). That means you have to
create a rule for every single recipient for which you might get more than
one message unless you want to move them manually everytime you get mail
from them (Ugg).

I've just bought a bunch of plugins (Thanks, Roady) to address some of the
drawbacks I've already encountered.

It's definitely an improvement over OL 2000, which is the last version I
looked at.

___________________________
Dr. David H. Jameson
CTO, DigiPortal Software

Block 100% of spam with ChoiceMail Enterprise
MS/Exchange, Domino, GroupWise
http://www.digiportal.com

" MS" <ms@nospam.com> wrote in message
> For anyone reading who has tried Outlook 2003 yet, any comments on it?
Much
> improved?
>
> I read in an article something to the effect that, although for the most
> part there are not many improvements in the Microsoft Office 2003
> applications that would make much difference to most users, not much
> different from the last version, there are more improvements in Outlook
than
> the other applications.
>
> Have people who tried it found that to be the case? Any further
explanation
> of what you like better?

Without a doubt the new look is easier on the eyes. Moving the preview to
the side seems so simple a thought and who would think it makes a difference
but it does and once you go "right" you won't go back ;)

Since we use GFI I have not played with the Spam rules in Outlook but the
default setting of not downloading images but giving me a one click to
download them if I want is a nice trick.

Exchange offline/online seems much improved. I'm still playing with this and
getting my setup tweaked for me and my typical use of being in the office
some, being VPN'd some and sometimes never connected. I'd love to be able to
figure out a way to sync all folders when in the office automatically but
not sync when connected via VPN but I guess a two clck manual sync is about
as good as I'm going to get.

Overall 2003 is what XP should have been since XP was nothing but 2000
warmed up leftovers. Now if we can get Outlook to support newsgroups
directly (no Exchange), yencoding, simple multiple calendar viewing, and
maybe it can finally get close to what Notes did for years.

" MS" <ms@nospam.com> wrote in message
> For anyone reading who has tried Outlook 2003 yet, any comments on it?
Much
> improved?
>
> I read in an article something to the effect that, although for the most
> part there are not many improvements in the Microsoft Office 2003
> applications that would make much difference to most users, not much
> different from the last version, there are more improvements in Outlook
than
> the other applications.
>
> Have people who tried it found that to be the case? Any further
explanation
> of what you like better?
>
> I don't have many complaints with Outlook 2002, except for problems with
> e-mail. I started using Outlook just as a PIM, and continued using Outlook
> Express for my e-mail. Then I decided to try doing e-mail with Outlook
> instead. Some of the e-mail features of Outlook I like better than OE, so
> have continued to use Outlook for e-mail. (Still using OE for newsgroups
> though. I wonder if Outlook will add that capability.) However, I have
also
> had some problems with Outlook e-mail. (I don't have time to go into
detail
> now.) Some aspects of the Outlook e-mail capability just don't work as
good
> as in OE (although the latter is a free program).
>
> I wonder if the e-mail functions of Outlook have been significantly
improved
> in version 2003? Please explain if you think so.
>
> Also, of course, tell us about any way in which you find Outlook 2003
better
> or worse than previous versions. (Just that I have found problems with the
> e-mail implementation in versions 2002 and earlier, so I'm wondering if
that
> has been significantly improved in 2003.)
>
> Thank you.

Re:  Unread Mail Folder: It's not a folder that holds items permanently, but is more akin to "view" or a "filter" (or a snapshot query if you're into database analogies).  This is what MS calls a "search folder".  Yes, they probably could have chosen a better word than "folder".

Basically, the message stays in the Inbox (or where ever it comes to rest per your In-Box rules), and appears in the "Unread Mail" search folder until (drum roll . . .) you read it.  The "read" flag is then set, and the message no longer appears in the unread mail folder.

As to the message count . . . my implementation picks up all unread mesages in "child" folders below the Inbox parent.  Maybe it doesn't pick them up if they are located in folders outside of the Inbox tree.  Don't know for sure, haven't tried it.

-- John

     ----- David Jameson wrote: -----

> [...]

     looked at.

     ___________________________
     Dr. David H. Jameson
     CTO, DigiPortal Software

     Block 100% of spam with ChoiceMail Enterprise
     MS/Exchange, Domino, GroupWise
     http://www.digiportal.com

     " MS" <ms@nospam.com> wrote in message
     > For anyone reading who has tried Outlook 2003 yet, any comments on it?
     Much
     > improved?
     >> I read in an article something to the effect that, although for the most
     > part there are not many improvements in the Microsoft Office 2003
     > applications that would make much difference to most users, not much
     > different from the last version, there are more improvements in Outlook
     than
     > the other applications.
     >> Have people who tried it found that to be the case? Any further

0
anonymous (74718)

Outlook with Outlook Express ?

Configuring free/busy calendar in Exchange 2003
Does anyone know how to configure the free/busy in Exchange 2003 to publish more than 2 months of calendar free/busy information on the server? I can do it on the client Outlook but I want to change the default from 2 months to 6 months for all users. Free/busy information is used by people sending meeting requests to determine when you are available for meeting. Thanks. --John ...

Outlook freezes up

Outlook Contacts 05-25-07

Outlook & Entourage

Opening Outlook

gridlines in outlook?

can't create rules in outlook

outlook 2002

select name box freezes Outlook

outlook and links in emails

Outlook XP and attachments

Exchange 2010, Outlook 2003

Excel 2003 Page Breaks
I e-mailed a workbook to a collegue that contained 28 worksheets. On my PC, all the vertical page breaks were set so printing was done on one page for each sheet. On his machine the page break shifted to the left such that some columns were on a second page for each sheet. What can be done to preserve the verticle page break setting. This file will be sent daily and we would like to not need to adjust the page breaks. He probably has a different printer and a different printer driver. Not much you can do about that, except work in very safe distance from the margins. Maybe doing the fin...

Outlook 2007

FYI Office 2003 Updates Now Available
Visit http://office.microsoft.com and click on Check for Updates Word 2003 Update: KB834702 (Finnish) / Word 2003 Update: KB834702 for Multilingual User Interface Pack (English). This update fixes an issue with the user interface for the Finnish version of Word 2003. The OK button is missing from the Table Properties dialogue box. Access 2003 Danish Update: KB834013 (Danish) / Access 2003 Danish Update for Multilingual User Interface Pack: KB834013 (English). This update from Microsoft prevents a potential error. If this error occurs, the three Danish characters �, � and � do not appear cor...

outlook #180
How do I set reminders (one week in advance) for birthdays or other events? Thank you, in advance, to anyone that can answer this question. In the reminders box, enter 1w for one week or 7d. --� Milly Staples [MVP - Outlook] Post all replies to the group to keep the discussion intact. Due to the (insert latest virus name here) virus, all mail sent to my personal account will be deleted without reading. After searching google.groups.com and finding no answer, Harvey asked: | How do I set reminders (one week in advance) for | birthdays or other events? | | Thank you, in advance, to anyo...

Spam Confidence Level (SCL) in Outlook 2007 with Exchange 2003
I have just upgraded our client machines to run Outlook 2007 while connecting to an SBS 2003 R2 server. I can no longer access the SCL values. I have tried a number of suggestions found on the web but nothing seems to work. Does anyone have a working solution for this configuration. Thanks Using the CFG to create the custom field? It seems to work for some and not others. I'm not sure why that is, but after an odd experience with one of the other CFG's I have, I thought of the SCL form and wondered if its something with the folders its installed in. [1] Beyond this...

outlook to outlook express #4
Hi, I am hoping there is away to import all my Outlook Express settings inc address book, messages and files in all local folders to Outlook 2003. I am using Outlook Express 6 When I start to install Outlook 2003 it asks if I want to Configure an email account... I stopped there afraid I would lose all my settings from Express. Any and all help would be appreciated I think you say no to that dialog and then you will get prompted about importing from OE. (Even if you say yes, it won't go delete anything out of OE.) "Manny" <manny_is@hotmail.com> wrote in messag...