Outlook 2003 error #16

My PC crashed last night, and when I restarted it, Outlook 2003 gave an 
error message that the personal folders had been improperly terminated, and 
it was trying to recover.  That message disappeared after a few seconds, and 
a normal-looking Outlook window came up.  But now, when I try to 
send/recieve email, I get the error message:
Task 'Verizon Main - Receiving' reported error (0x80040600) : 'Unknown Error 
0x80040600'

Is there a way to recover Outlook without losing the inbox, which contains 
numerous unread emails?
Running Vista Home Premium edition. 

0
5/19/2008 3:40:43 PM
outlook 87535 articles. 10 followers. Follow

5 Replies
672 Views

Similar Articles

[PageSpeed] 43

In the first instance run Detect/Repair from the OL help menu
Your data is contained within a seperate data file uninstalling/reinstalling 
OL has no impact on this, but backups are allways wise. MS has a free backup 
addin on their site

"Joe" <avoidspam1@verizon.net> wrote in message 
news:%bhYj.625$ah.589@trnddc06...
> My PC crashed last night, and when I restarted it, Outlook 2003 gave an 
> error message that the personal folders had been improperly terminated, 
> and it was trying to recover.  That message disappeared after a few 
> seconds, and a normal-looking Outlook window came up.  But now, when I try 
> to send/recieve email, I get the error message:
> Task 'Verizon Main - Receiving' reported error (0x80040600) : 'Unknown 
> Error 0x80040600'
>
> Is there a way to recover Outlook without losing the inbox, which contains 
> numerous unread emails?
> Running Vista Home Premium edition. 


0
DL
5/19/2008 4:21:15 PM
Thanks, DL. I appreciate the quick response.

I got it fixed, but it was quite an odyssey...  I couldn't find
"Detect/Repair" in the help menu.  Also, when I searched help, it came up
with lots of unrelated topics.  Anyway, after a lot of searching on the
Internet, I learned of a utility called scanpst.exe.  Unfortunately, the
Search function on my Start Menu couldn't locate it.  I manually looked
through all my folders that had anything to do with Outlook and found it
buried in a hidden folder.  Then, I had to manually search for my Personal
Folders file (fortunately, it was pretty straight-forward, and named
"Outlook.pst".   When I ran Scanpst, it took about 45 minutes, using 100% of
both cores on my processor, and finally got all the way to the "Repair"
button.  when I told it to repair, it ran a while, then stopped responding.
I had to use Task Manger to stop it.  After a reboot, I tried Scanpst again.
I finished more quickly, using a lot less processor, and reported no errors
found!

I started Outlook, and everything seems to be working again. (fingers
crossed)

This is crazy.  why couldn't the Outlook Help pages have told me about
Scanpst, without me having to go looking for possible fixes.  Why is
scanpst.exe buried so far that it was a chore to find it (probably the
typical computer user would never have found it!)?  Does "Detect/Repair"
normally show up on the Outlook help menu?  Am I just an anomaly who is not
getting a correct install? (I'm using a fully-registered copy of Office
Professional 2003).

I once (long ago) had a Win 3.1 PC operating on my desk side-by-side with
the then-current Mac.  The PC was easier to use and was more dependable than
the Mac.  Hands down, no contest.  However, in the past couple of years, I'm
beginning to think of trying out a Mac again.  One thing I held against
Apple was that they made everything too esoteric, and charged through the
nose for support.   Microsoft has unfortunately adopted Apple's model.
"DL" <address@invalid> wrote in message 
news:e2cEjxcuIHA.396@TK2MSFTNGP04.phx.gbl...
> In the first instance run Detect/Repair from the OL help menu
> Your data is contained within a seperate data file 
> uninstalling/reinstalling OL has no impact on this, but backups are 
> allways wise. MS has a free backup addin on their site
>
> "Joe" <avoidspam1@verizon.net> wrote in message 
> news:%bhYj.625$ah.589@trnddc06...
>> My PC crashed last night, and when I restarted it, Outlook 2003 gave an 
>> error message that the personal folders had been improperly terminated, 
>> and it was trying to recover.  That message disappeared after a few 
>> seconds, and a normal-looking Outlook window came up.  But now, when I 
>> try to send/recieve email, I get the error message:
>> Task 'Verizon Main - Receiving' reported error (0x80040600) : 'Unknown 
>> Error 0x80040600'
>>
>> Is there a way to recover Outlook without losing the inbox, which 
>> contains numerous unread emails?
>> Running Vista Home Premium edition.
>
> 

0
5/19/2008 5:48:18 PM
I'm not on an OL2003 PC at the moment so cannot remember the actual menu 
location Of Detect/Repair, but you can also run a repair via the Office cd, 
or via add/remove dialogue

Both the pst (data Files) and scanpst.exe are in hidden folders, you have to 
search to include hidden, and / or have show hidden files turned on in 
explorer.

http://www.howto-outlook.com/howto/backupandrestore.htm for various OL 
help/Tips


"Joe" <avoidspam1@verizon.net> wrote in message 
news:C3jYj.10678$IK5.3795@trnddc04...
> Thanks, DL. I appreciate the quick response.
>
> I got it fixed, but it was quite an odyssey...  I couldn't find
> "Detect/Repair" in the help menu.  Also, when I searched help, it came up
> with lots of unrelated topics.  Anyway, after a lot of searching on the
> Internet, I learned of a utility called scanpst.exe.  Unfortunately, the
> Search function on my Start Menu couldn't locate it.  I manually looked
> through all my folders that had anything to do with Outlook and found it
> buried in a hidden folder.  Then, I had to manually search for my Personal
> Folders file (fortunately, it was pretty straight-forward, and named
> "Outlook.pst".   When I ran Scanpst, it took about 45 minutes, using 100% 
> of
> both cores on my processor, and finally got all the way to the "Repair"
> button.  when I told it to repair, it ran a while, then stopped 
> responding.
> I had to use Task Manger to stop it.  After a reboot, I tried Scanpst 
> again.
> I finished more quickly, using a lot less processor, and reported no 
> errors
> found!
>
> I started Outlook, and everything seems to be working again. (fingers
> crossed)
>
> This is crazy.  why couldn't the Outlook Help pages have told me about
> Scanpst, without me having to go looking for possible fixes.  Why is
> scanpst.exe buried so far that it was a chore to find it (probably the
> typical computer user would never have found it!)?  Does "Detect/Repair"
> normally show up on the Outlook help menu?  Am I just an anomaly who is 
> not
> getting a correct install? (I'm using a fully-registered copy of Office
> Professional 2003).
>
> I once (long ago) had a Win 3.1 PC operating on my desk side-by-side with
> the then-current Mac.  The PC was easier to use and was more dependable 
> than
> the Mac.  Hands down, no contest.  However, in the past couple of years, 
> I'm
> beginning to think of trying out a Mac again.  One thing I held against
> Apple was that they made everything too esoteric, and charged through the
> nose for support.   Microsoft has unfortunately adopted Apple's model.
> "DL" <address@invalid> wrote in message 
> news:e2cEjxcuIHA.396@TK2MSFTNGP04.phx.gbl...
>> In the first instance run Detect/Repair from the OL help menu
>> Your data is contained within a seperate data file 
>> uninstalling/reinstalling OL has no impact on this, but backups are 
>> allways wise. MS has a free backup addin on their site
>>
>> "Joe" <avoidspam1@verizon.net> wrote in message 
>> news:%bhYj.625$ah.589@trnddc06...
>>> My PC crashed last night, and when I restarted it, Outlook 2003 gave an 
>>> error message that the personal folders had been improperly terminated, 
>>> and it was trying to recover.  That message disappeared after a few 
>>> seconds, and a normal-looking Outlook window came up.  But now, when I 
>>> try to send/recieve email, I get the error message:
>>> Task 'Verizon Main - Receiving' reported error (0x80040600) : 'Unknown 
>>> Error 0x80040600'
>>>
>>> Is there a way to recover Outlook without losing the inbox, which 
>>> contains numerous unread emails?
>>> Running Vista Home Premium edition.
>>
>>
> 


0
DL
5/19/2008 6:56:05 PM
Hey Joe,

Looks like the personal folder file of outlook might be corrupt. We can 
follow the KB article 814441 ( follow the link 
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/814441/en-us ) in this case.

Regards
Outlook Tech

"Joe" <avoidspam1@verizon.net> wrote in message 
news:%bhYj.625$ah.589@trnddc06...
> My PC crashed last night, and when I restarted it, Outlook 2003 gave an 
> error message that the personal folders had been improperly terminated, 
> and it was trying to recover.  That message disappeared after a few 
> seconds, and a normal-looking Outlook window came up.  But now, when I try 
> to send/recieve email, I get the error message:
> Task 'Verizon Main - Receiving' reported error (0x80040600) : 'Unknown 
> Error 0x80040600'
>
> Is there a way to recover Outlook without losing the inbox, which contains 
> numerous unread emails?
> Running Vista Home Premium edition. 


0
5/19/2008 7:39:32 PM
Joe <avoidspam1@verizon.net> wrote:

> I got it fixed, but it was quite an odyssey...  I couldn't find
> "Detect/Repair" in the help menu. 

It's right there.  When you click Help, the menu items are:

Microsoft Office Outlook Help
Show the Office Assistant
Contact Us
----------------------------------------
Check for Updates
Detect and Repair
Activate Product
Customer Feedback Options
----------------------------------------
About Microsoft Office Outlook
-- 
Brian Tillman [MVP-Outlook]
0
tillman1952 (16052)
5/20/2008 2:42:31 PM
Reply:

Similar Artilces:

Outlook with Outlook Express ?
Is it possible to select an Outlook Contact, and send an email using Outlook Express? Thanks. Talal Itani No. But you can do it vice versa. "Talal Itani" <titani@verizon.net> wrote in message news:TXaXh.4742$Fc1.4027@trnddc05... > > Is it possible to select an Outlook Contact, and send an email using > Outlook Express? > > Thanks. > Talal Itani > Talal Itani <titani@verizon.net> wrote: > Is it possible to select an Outlook Contact, and send an email using > Outlook Express? No, but you could open the Outlook Contact, select the e...

Why does Outlook access contacts twice at start up?
When I open Outlook (2002), I am always immediately promped twice to allow access to contacts. Is this normal? (I always decline) Dave Clewlow;111740 Wrote: > When I open Outlook (2002), I am always immediately promped twice to > allow access to contacts. Is this normal? (I always decline) What is the exact text of the error or prompt and what type of account are you using? -- Brian Tillman Brian Tillman [MVP-Outlook] -- http://forums.slipstick.com What add-ins are installed? It sounds like you have two that want to access your contacts. -- Diane P...

I am unable to activate a 2nd account in Outlook
My 2nd e-mail shows up in Outlook but no messages get sent there. http://www.howto-outlook.com/faq/newprofile.htm -- Kathleen Orland Outlook Tips: http://www.outlook-tips.net/ http://www.howto-outlook.com/ Outlook & Exchange Solutions Center: http://www.slipstick.com "55trojan" wrote: > My 2nd e-mail shows up in Outlook but no messages get sent there. ...

Importing old Outlook contact data into new Outlook personal fold
Background (please bear with me here): I had a hard drive crash and no recent backup (I know I'm an idiot!). I finally had to have a disk recovery outfit rescue my data. However, for reasons I won't bore you with, a couple of months elapsed between crash and recovery of old data. During that time, I got a new drive and reinstalled the programs, like Office 2007. So I have data in the newer installation and older data in the previous, recovered drive. I need to get the old personal address book info from a backup of the old Outlook 2007 into my new Outlook 2007 .pst fol...

Configuring free/busy calendar in Exchange 2003
Does anyone know how to configure the free/busy in Exchange 2003 to publish more than 2 months of calendar free/busy information on the server? I can do it on the client Outlook but I want to change the default from 2 months to 6 months for all users. Free/busy information is used by people sending meeting requests to determine when you are available for meeting. Thanks. --John ...

Outlook Contacts 05-25-07
Is there a way to point CRM contacts to a different folder in Outlook durring sink? ...

Outlook freezes up
I just upgraded my OS to XP Pro and my Office to XP Pro. After teh upgrades I went to Windows Update and installed all the updates that were made since SP1 and then done the same for Office Updates. One of the updates SP1 downloaded and then quit the install telling me to download again and try to reinstall. When I go to down load it says the file is already downloaded... Where is it and how can I fix this problem? Thanks, Fred >-----Original Message----- >I just upgraded my OS to XP Pro and my Office to XP Pro. >After teh upgrades I went to Windows Update and install...

Outlook *.pst import to Outlook Web Access???
I am wondering if there is a way to import my Personal Folder.pst into Outlook Web Access application? JimC No, that's not possible, because OWA is a browser application. It knows = nothing about files on your hard drive.=20 --=20 Sue Mosher, Outlook MVP Author of Configuring Microsoft Outlook 2003 http://www.turtleflock.com/olconfig/index.htm and Microsoft Outlook Programming - Jumpstart for=20 Administrators, Power Users, and Developers http://www.outlookcode.com/jumpstart.aspx =20 "JimC2007" <JimC2007@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message...

Query Builder Error: Unexpected Error
I am working with 1.2. I tried to print all cases for an account. When I leave the bullet on 'all pages', and then click the 'print' icon, I receive an error. ...

excel format errors
whenever I put an integer value in a new worksheet, it takes my value and divides it by 10,000. For example, if I enter 34, it returns .00034. If I enter 34.0, it returns 34. All cells are formatted as General, with no indication of any special formatting applied to them. This has happened not only on my machine but also on several other machines around here. Tools > Options > Edit tab and uncheck the "Fixed Decimals" box. HTH Jason Atlanta, GA >-----Original Message----- >whenever I put an integer value in a new worksheet, it >takes my value and divides...

Outlook & Entourage
Hi All, I have Exchange 2007 server. I have a client. I setup Outlook in Dell PC and Entourage in his MAC PC. I have a problem now. When he checked Sent Items from Outlook, there just only have old sent emails which he sent on 2008 and he said that he has already deleted them. On Entourage, in Sent Items, there are emails which is he sent out recently, it shows correctly. Is anybody know why? Is there any tools which I could use for checking user's sent email box to see how many emails or email details are there from Exchange 2007? Thanks in advance, --qq "...

Opening Outlook
I can't open Outlook. Outlook Express is fine. I get the message "Unable to open your default folders. Outlook could not open because a location to send and receive e-mail could not be found. To add a location open the 'Mail' icon in control panel. I've looked in the 'mail' and I have 'none' in the delivery section and no apparent means of adding one. Help Search your hard drive for all files with a .PST extension. If you're using Windows 2000 or XP, you'll need to enable searching in hidden and system folders to find all possible .PST fi...

gridlines in outlook?
im trying to make outlook print gridlines. i copy a piece of an exce worksheet into an outlook email. the gridlines appear ok. but when i g to print- they dont appear on the preview or the print out. what do i need to do to make them visible ----------------------------------------------- ~~ Message posted from http://www.ExcelTip.com ~~View and post usenet messages directly from http://www.ExcelForum.com ...

SQL Server Error when going offline MS CRM 4.0
Hi We have quite a few problems with the MS CRM 4.0 Offline Client. When our customer tries to go offline he gets always an SQL Server Error. When we execute the diag tool it shows us that something is wrong with the sync. After executing the repair it works fine and we can go offline without any troubles. The strange thing is, that it does not work on the next day. Then we get the same error again. The only solution is to execute the repair.... We are working for quite a long time together with ms support, but unfortunately they couldn't help us so far. We also have installed several ...

Please Help with Outlook Journal (Outlook 2002)
The journal is very important to me but it doesn't seem to be working. A) The contact list only displays 1/3 of my contacts (A-I) B) When I do check one of those boxes to track a contact, nothing automatically appears in the journal please help thanks in advance that dialog is a PITA. :) Go to the contacts folder and choose the phone list view from view, current view (or the advanced toolbar's current view selector) one of the last fields is Journal. Add and remove checks to that column to change the journal status. If you make a custom view that groups by journal field yo...

can't create rules in outlook
When I try to create rules in outlook, I get a message which says the rule can't be created and to check my folder permissions. If I go through the wizard, I can create them successfully. It is really frustrating, because most of what I want to create would be simple to create with the create button. I'm the only user on this machine. It is running Windows XP pro and I'm the admin. I'm using Outlook 2002. Anyone have any ideas? Thanks, Anne ...

select name box freezes Outlook
Outlook 2002 sp2 XP Pro When I click the To: button, the select names window opens. I cannot select any names as Outlook freezes completely. I have to close the entire program through Ctl Alt Del. I used the cd to do a fix and repair, but it did not fix or repair the problem. Any solutions or suggestions are appreciated. Jerry ...

outlook 2002
Hello I am having problems accessing outlook 2002 I get a message " microsoft has stopped working" then another message " the product entered it's extended support phase" can anyone help please Many thanks On 5/7/2010 7:13 AM, CAH wrote: > Hello I am having problems accessing outlook 2002 I get a message " > microsoft has stopped working" then another message " the product entered > it's extended support phase" > can anyone help please Many thanks You will need to ask this question in a group specific t...

outlook and links in emails
hi all, maybe someone knows... when i receive an email with a HTML link in it, is there any way (when i click on it) to make outlook open this using the inbuilt browser instead of it opening into IE? I am using office 2002 (=XP). regards, piotr The "in-built" browser IS Internet Explorer. What is it you are trying to accomplish? --� Milly Staples [MVP - Outlook] Post all replies to the group to keep the discussion intact. Due to the Swen virus, all e-mails sent to my actual account will be deleted w/out reading. After searching google.groups.com and finding no answer Llama ...

Payroll
Has anyone come across the following error message when attempting to import an excel file for payroll? "Base paycode can only consist of letters." ...

Outlook XP and attachments
I have recently installed Outlook XP SP-2. I send attachments (in this case. Powerpoint file). If I retrieve the mail message from a POP server with Outlook XP, I also receive attachments. If I retrieve the message with Outlook Express 6.0, the attachmente deos not come through. What am I doing wrong? how do I correct the problem?? Thanks andrea <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: > I have recently installed Outlook XP SP-2. > > I send attachments (in this case. Powerpoint file). If I > retrieve the mail message from a POP server with Outlook > XP, I als...

Exchange 2010, Outlook 2003
I've setup my Exchange 2010 server with my email address policies. Of course there are some acceptions to the rules. I've made changes to those accounts in the EMC under Recipient Configuration | Mailbox. I edit the account under the "E-Mail Addresses" tab by adding the diffrent email address, unchecking the "Automatically update e-mail addresses based on e-mail address policy", then click the "Set as Reply" button. If I fire up Outlook 2010, start to compose an email and select that person from the GAL, it will have the correct email addres...

Outlook 2007
Every time I go to Tasks the To Do list is the default view. I moved Tasks up to the top but the To Do list remains the default. Can you please tell me how to switch off the To Do list or make Tasks the default view. Can I go back to the good old Task view of Outlook 2003 without these dang To Do's ? Grateful for any help. Cheers. AFAIk, you can't change that. You could create a view the hid flagged messages, so only tasks are visible. -- Diane Poremsky [MVP - Outlook] Outlook Tips: http://www.outlook-tips.net/ Outlook & Exchange Solutions Center: http://www.slip...

Excel 2003 Page Breaks
I e-mailed a workbook to a collegue that contained 28 worksheets. On my PC, all the vertical page breaks were set so printing was done on one page for each sheet. On his machine the page break shifted to the left such that some columns were on a second page for each sheet. What can be done to preserve the verticle page break setting. This file will be sent daily and we would like to not need to adjust the page breaks. He probably has a different printer and a different printer driver. Not much you can do about that, except work in very safe distance from the margins. Maybe doing the fin...

corrupted word-outlook interface or preferences
Without any warning, some preferences for Word 2003 when I use it as the email editor for Outlook got goofy today. When I'm in edit mode (creating a new email or replying to an old one), the fonts look bolder and larger than they should. When I send the email, they look fine when received. The fonts all look okay when I stop using Word as my email editor. I thought that maybe a Word preference got corrupted. I've tried deleting the Normal.dot file (for Word, since it seems that Word is at least part of the problem) and also doing the "detect and repair" option, but I&#...