Outlook 2003 - error (0x80070057)

I've been using Outlook 2003 for years, but after miagrating to Vista, the 
following problem cropped up.

When I try to send some emails in Outlook 2003, I get the following error 
message:
Task 'Main-Sending' reported error(0x80070057) : 'Could not complete the 
operation.  One or more parameter values are not valid.'  (note: "Main" is 
my primary pop3/SMTP server).

My ISP says it's Microsoft's problem, not something at the server, and they 
have no idea.
I searched the MS website, but did not get any hits on the error.

It only affects *some* of the emails.  So far, all of the affected items 
seem to be ones that I am forwarding and have attachments or imbedded 
Internet links.
However, some forwarded emails with links or attachments go through just 
fine.  Usually, if I regenerate the message from scratch, it will go 
through.

Has anyone experienced this problem and worked out a fix?

Thanks. 

0
3/22/2007 12:00:53 AM
outlook 87535 articles. 10 followers. Follow

10 Replies
348 Views

Similar Articles

[PageSpeed] 31

You could try logging the SMTP conversation to see what's going on behind the 
scenes. Take a look at this article for info on logging: 

http://support.microsoft.com/support/kb/articles/q177/8/78.asp 

-- 
Kathleen Orland
Outlook Tips: http://www.outlook-tips.net/ 
http://www.howto-outlook.com/ 



"Joe" wrote:

> I've been using Outlook 2003 for years, but after miagrating to Vista, the 
> following problem cropped up.
> 
> When I try to send some emails in Outlook 2003, I get the following error 
> message:
> Task 'Main-Sending' reported error(0x80070057) : 'Could not complete the 
> operation.  One or more parameter values are not valid.'  (note: "Main" is 
> my primary pop3/SMTP server).
> 
> My ISP says it's Microsoft's problem, not something at the server, and they 
> have no idea.
> I searched the MS website, but did not get any hits on the error.
> 
> It only affects *some* of the emails.  So far, all of the affected items 
> seem to be ones that I am forwarding and have attachments or imbedded 
> Internet links.
> However, some forwarded emails with links or attachments go through just 
> fine.  Usually, if I regenerate the message from scratch, it will go 
> through.
> 
> Has anyone experienced this problem and worked out a fix?
> 
> Thanks. 
> 
0
KOrland1 (1012)
3/22/2007 1:25:43 PM
Joe

I have exactly the same problem - but without the Vista trigger.  I hope 
someone has a suggestion.

"Joe" wrote:

> I've been using Outlook 2003 for years, but after miagrating to Vista, the 
> following problem cropped up.
> 
> When I try to send some emails in Outlook 2003, I get the following error 
> message:
> Task 'Main-Sending' reported error(0x80070057) : 'Could not complete the 
> operation.  One or more parameter values are not valid.'  (note: "Main" is 
> my primary pop3/SMTP server).
> 
> My ISP says it's Microsoft's problem, not something at the server, and they 
> have no idea.
> I searched the MS website, but did not get any hits on the error.
> 
> It only affects *some* of the emails.  So far, all of the affected items 
> seem to be ones that I am forwarding and have attachments or imbedded 
> Internet links.
> However, some forwarded emails with links or attachments go through just 
> fine.  Usually, if I regenerate the message from scratch, it will go 
> through.
> 
> Has anyone experienced this problem and worked out a fix?
> 
> Thanks. 
> 
0
JWT (2)
3/28/2007 1:48:20 AM
Thanks, but that didn't work.  Registry changes are all there, but the log 
file is not created.  The folder structure described is not created, so I 
created it manually--to no avail.  A search of all files with "smtp" or "log" 
in the filename filas to show any such log file.

"K. Orland" wrote:

> You could try logging the SMTP conversation to see what's going on behind the 
> scenes. Take a look at this article for info on logging: 
> 
> http://support.microsoft.com/support/kb/articles/q177/8/78.asp 
> 
> -- 
> Kathleen Orland
> Outlook Tips: http://www.outlook-tips.net/ 
> http://www.howto-outlook.com/ 
> 
> 
> 
> "Joe" wrote:
> 
> > I've been using Outlook 2003 for years, but after miagrating to Vista, the 
> > following problem cropped up.
> > 
> > When I try to send some emails in Outlook 2003, I get the following error 
> > message:
> > Task 'Main-Sending' reported error(0x80070057) : 'Could not complete the 
> > operation.  One or more parameter values are not valid.'  (note: "Main" is 
> > my primary pop3/SMTP server).
> > 
> > My ISP says it's Microsoft's problem, not something at the server, and they 
> > have no idea.
> > I searched the MS website, but did not get any hits on the error.
> > 
> > It only affects *some* of the emails.  So far, all of the affected items 
> > seem to be ones that I am forwarding and have attachments or imbedded 
> > Internet links.
> > However, some forwarded emails with links or attachments go through just 
> > fine.  Usually, if I regenerate the message from scratch, it will go 
> > through.
> > 
> > Has anyone experienced this problem and worked out a fix?
> > 
> > Thanks. 
> > 
0
Joe (497)
6/8/2007 11:23:00 PM
Following advice I found in another thread, I discovered the OPMLOG file.  It 
logs all activity, not just SMTP.  Here is the snippet where I was trying to 
send:

  2007.06.08 19:58:20 SMTP (smtp.east.cox.net): Begin execution
  2007.06.08 19:58:20 SMTP (smtp.east.cox.net): End execution
  2007.06.08 19:58:20 Main: Synch operation started (flags = 00000030)
  2007.06.08 19:58:20 Main: DoPOPDownload(flags = 00000030, max msg = 
ffffffff): full items
  2007.06.08 19:58:20 Main: ReportStatus: RSF_COMPLETED, hr = 0x80070057
  2007.06.08 19:58:20 Main: Synch operation completed

I don't see anything helful there.  Unfortunately, the error message in play 
seems to translate to: "Wow! Something unexpected happened, but we have no 
earthly idea of what it was or how to describe it."

"Joe" wrote:

> Thanks, but that didn't work.  Registry changes are all there, but the log 
> file is not created.  The folder structure described is not created, so I 
> created it manually--to no avail.  A search of all files with "smtp" or "log" 
> in the filename filas to show any such log file.
> 
> "K. Orland" wrote:
> 
> > You could try logging the SMTP conversation to see what's going on behind the 
> > scenes. Take a look at this article for info on logging: 
> > 
> > http://support.microsoft.com/support/kb/articles/q177/8/78.asp 
> > 
> > -- 
> > Kathleen Orland
> > Outlook Tips: http://www.outlook-tips.net/ 
> > http://www.howto-outlook.com/ 
> > 
> > 
> > 
> > "Joe" wrote:
> > 
> > > I've been using Outlook 2003 for years, but after miagrating to Vista, the 
> > > following problem cropped up.
> > > 
> > > When I try to send some emails in Outlook 2003, I get the following error 
> > > message:
> > > Task 'Main-Sending' reported error(0x80070057) : 'Could not complete the 
> > > operation.  One or more parameter values are not valid.'  (note: "Main" is 
> > > my primary pop3/SMTP server).
> > > 
> > > My ISP says it's Microsoft's problem, not something at the server, and they 
> > > have no idea.
> > > I searched the MS website, but did not get any hits on the error.
> > > 
> > > It only affects *some* of the emails.  So far, all of the affected items 
> > > seem to be ones that I am forwarding and have attachments or imbedded 
> > > Internet links.
> > > However, some forwarded emails with links or attachments go through just 
> > > fine.  Usually, if I regenerate the message from scratch, it will go 
> > > through.
> > > 
> > > Has anyone experienced this problem and worked out a fix?
> > > 
> > > Thanks. 
> > > 
0
Joe (497)
6/9/2007 12:12:01 AM
I would try running Detect and Repair (from the Help Menu), you'll likely 
need your Office CD. 

If that doesn't make a difference, I would rename your current mail profile 
(use the mail applet in the Control Panel) and create a new one. You'll find 
instructions on how to do that here: 
http://www.howto-outlook.com/faq/newprofile.htm 

Let me know if either or neither works. Good luck! 
-- 
Kathleen Orland
Outlook Tips: http://www.outlook-tips.net/ 
http://www.howto-outlook.com/ 



"Joe" wrote:

> Following advice I found in another thread, I discovered the OPMLOG file.  It 
> logs all activity, not just SMTP.  Here is the snippet where I was trying to 
> send:
> 
>   2007.06.08 19:58:20 SMTP (smtp.east.cox.net): Begin execution
>   2007.06.08 19:58:20 SMTP (smtp.east.cox.net): End execution
>   2007.06.08 19:58:20 Main: Synch operation started (flags = 00000030)
>   2007.06.08 19:58:20 Main: DoPOPDownload(flags = 00000030, max msg = 
> ffffffff): full items
>   2007.06.08 19:58:20 Main: ReportStatus: RSF_COMPLETED, hr = 0x80070057
>   2007.06.08 19:58:20 Main: Synch operation completed
> 
> I don't see anything helful there.  Unfortunately, the error message in play 
> seems to translate to: "Wow! Something unexpected happened, but we have no 
> earthly idea of what it was or how to describe it."
> 
> "Joe" wrote:
> 
> > Thanks, but that didn't work.  Registry changes are all there, but the log 
> > file is not created.  The folder structure described is not created, so I 
> > created it manually--to no avail.  A search of all files with "smtp" or "log" 
> > in the filename filas to show any such log file.
> > 
> > "K. Orland" wrote:
> > 
> > > You could try logging the SMTP conversation to see what's going on behind the 
> > > scenes. Take a look at this article for info on logging: 
> > > 
> > > http://support.microsoft.com/support/kb/articles/q177/8/78.asp 
> > > 
> > > -- 
> > > Kathleen Orland
> > > Outlook Tips: http://www.outlook-tips.net/ 
> > > http://www.howto-outlook.com/ 
> > > 
> > > 
> > > 
> > > "Joe" wrote:
> > > 
> > > > I've been using Outlook 2003 for years, but after miagrating to Vista, the 
> > > > following problem cropped up.
> > > > 
> > > > When I try to send some emails in Outlook 2003, I get the following error 
> > > > message:
> > > > Task 'Main-Sending' reported error(0x80070057) : 'Could not complete the 
> > > > operation.  One or more parameter values are not valid.'  (note: "Main" is 
> > > > my primary pop3/SMTP server).
> > > > 
> > > > My ISP says it's Microsoft's problem, not something at the server, and they 
> > > > have no idea.
> > > > I searched the MS website, but did not get any hits on the error.
> > > > 
> > > > It only affects *some* of the emails.  So far, all of the affected items 
> > > > seem to be ones that I am forwarding and have attachments or imbedded 
> > > > Internet links.
> > > > However, some forwarded emails with links or attachments go through just 
> > > > fine.  Usually, if I regenerate the message from scratch, it will go 
> > > > through.
> > > > 
> > > > Has anyone experienced this problem and worked out a fix?
> > > > 
> > > > Thanks. 
> > > > 
0
KOrland1 (1012)
6/11/2007 2:48:02 AM
 Thanks.  I've tried those steps several times, to no effect.  I have three 
email addresses (all on the same ISP, though), and they all behave the same 
way. 

My ISP swears it it not a problem on their end (and judging by the number of 
people here who report similar behavior. I suspect my ISP may be right); 
however, they only support OE and webmail--so they will give me no help in 
seeking a solution.

At this point, I'm convinced it's a bug in Outlook that is not ISP specific, 
so I'm trying to decide which alternate mail program to switch to.

"K. Orland" wrote:

> I would try running Detect and Repair (from the Help Menu), you'll likely 
> need your Office CD. 
> 
> If that doesn't make a difference, I would rename your current mail profile 
> (use the mail applet in the Control Panel) and create a new one. You'll find 
> instructions on how to do that here: 
> http://www.howto-outlook.com/faq/newprofile.htm 
> 
> Let me know if either or neither works. Good luck! 
> -- 
> Kathleen Orland
> Outlook Tips: http://www.outlook-tips.net/ 
> http://www.howto-outlook.com/ 
> 
> 
> 
> "Joe" wrote:
> 
> > Following advice I found in another thread, I discovered the OPMLOG file.  It 
> > logs all activity, not just SMTP.  Here is the snippet where I was trying to 
> > send:
> > 
> >   2007.06.08 19:58:20 SMTP (smtp.east.cox.net): Begin execution
> >   2007.06.08 19:58:20 SMTP (smtp.east.cox.net): End execution
> >   2007.06.08 19:58:20 Main: Synch operation started (flags = 00000030)
> >   2007.06.08 19:58:20 Main: DoPOPDownload(flags = 00000030, max msg = 
> > ffffffff): full items
> >   2007.06.08 19:58:20 Main: ReportStatus: RSF_COMPLETED, hr = 0x80070057
> >   2007.06.08 19:58:20 Main: Synch operation completed
> > 
> > I don't see anything helful there.  Unfortunately, the error message in play 
> > seems to translate to: "Wow! Something unexpected happened, but we have no 
> > earthly idea of what it was or how to describe it."
> > 
> > "Joe" wrote:
> > 
> > > Thanks, but that didn't work.  Registry changes are all there, but the log 
> > > file is not created.  The folder structure described is not created, so I 
> > > created it manually--to no avail.  A search of all files with "smtp" or "log" 
> > > in the filename filas to show any such log file.
> > > 
> > > "K. Orland" wrote:
> > > 
> > > > You could try logging the SMTP conversation to see what's going on behind the 
> > > > scenes. Take a look at this article for info on logging: 
> > > > 
> > > > http://support.microsoft.com/support/kb/articles/q177/8/78.asp 
> > > > 
> > > > -- 
> > > > Kathleen Orland
> > > > Outlook Tips: http://www.outlook-tips.net/ 
> > > > http://www.howto-outlook.com/ 
> > > > 
> > > > 
> > > > 
> > > > "Joe" wrote:
> > > > 
> > > > > I've been using Outlook 2003 for years, but after miagrating to Vista, the 
> > > > > following problem cropped up.
> > > > > 
> > > > > When I try to send some emails in Outlook 2003, I get the following error 
> > > > > message:
> > > > > Task 'Main-Sending' reported error(0x80070057) : 'Could not complete the 
> > > > > operation.  One or more parameter values are not valid.'  (note: "Main" is 
> > > > > my primary pop3/SMTP server).
> > > > > 
> > > > > My ISP says it's Microsoft's problem, not something at the server, and they 
> > > > > have no idea.
> > > > > I searched the MS website, but did not get any hits on the error.
> > > > > 
> > > > > It only affects *some* of the emails.  So far, all of the affected items 
> > > > > seem to be ones that I am forwarding and have attachments or imbedded 
> > > > > Internet links.
> > > > > However, some forwarded emails with links or attachments go through just 
> > > > > fine.  Usually, if I regenerate the message from scratch, it will go 
> > > > > through.
> > > > > 
> > > > > Has anyone experienced this problem and worked out a fix?
> > > > > 
> > > > > Thanks. 
> > > > > 
0
Joe (497)
6/11/2007 5:51:02 PM
Honestly, the best troubleshooting step might be to look at the actual 
network traffic with a protocol sniffer to see what exactly is being sent 
that the server doesn't seem to agree with.  That's probably the only way 
you'll get to the bottom of the problem.

-- 
f.h.
"Joe" <Joe@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message 
news:A946D92F-B27D-4B89-BB11-44E765B70CD8@microsoft.com...
> Thanks.  I've tried those steps several times, to no effect.  I have three
> email addresses (all on the same ISP, though), and they all behave the 
> same
> way.
>
> My ISP swears it it not a problem on their end (and judging by the number 
> of
> people here who report similar behavior. I suspect my ISP may be right);
> however, they only support OE and webmail--so they will give me no help in
> seeking a solution.
>
> At this point, I'm convinced it's a bug in Outlook that is not ISP 
> specific,
> so I'm trying to decide which alternate mail program to switch to.
>
> "K. Orland" wrote:
>
>> I would try running Detect and Repair (from the Help Menu), you'll likely
>> need your Office CD.
>>
>> If that doesn't make a difference, I would rename your current mail 
>> profile
>> (use the mail applet in the Control Panel) and create a new one. You'll 
>> find
>> instructions on how to do that here:
>> http://www.howto-outlook.com/faq/newprofile.htm
>>
>> Let me know if either or neither works. Good luck!
>> -- 
>> Kathleen Orland
>> Outlook Tips: http://www.outlook-tips.net/
>> http://www.howto-outlook.com/
>>
>>
>>
>> "Joe" wrote:
>>
>> > Following advice I found in another thread, I discovered the OPMLOG 
>> > file.  It
>> > logs all activity, not just SMTP.  Here is the snippet where I was 
>> > trying to
>> > send:
>> >
>> >   2007.06.08 19:58:20 SMTP (smtp.east.cox.net): Begin execution
>> >   2007.06.08 19:58:20 SMTP (smtp.east.cox.net): End execution
>> >   2007.06.08 19:58:20 Main: Synch operation started (flags = 00000030)
>> >   2007.06.08 19:58:20 Main: DoPOPDownload(flags = 00000030, max msg =
>> > ffffffff): full items
>> >   2007.06.08 19:58:20 Main: ReportStatus: RSF_COMPLETED, hr = 
>> > 0x80070057
>> >   2007.06.08 19:58:20 Main: Synch operation completed
>> >
>> > I don't see anything helful there.  Unfortunately, the error message in 
>> > play
>> > seems to translate to: "Wow! Something unexpected happened, but we have 
>> > no
>> > earthly idea of what it was or how to describe it."
>> >
>> > "Joe" wrote:
>> >
>> > > Thanks, but that didn't work.  Registry changes are all there, but 
>> > > the log
>> > > file is not created.  The folder structure described is not created, 
>> > > so I
>> > > created it manually--to no avail.  A search of all files with "smtp" 
>> > > or "log"
>> > > in the filename filas to show any such log file.
>> > >
>> > > "K. Orland" wrote:
>> > >
>> > > > You could try logging the SMTP conversation to see what's going on 
>> > > > behind the
>> > > > scenes. Take a look at this article for info on logging:
>> > > >
>> > > > http://support.microsoft.com/support/kb/articles/q177/8/78.asp
>> > > >
>> > > > -- 
>> > > > Kathleen Orland
>> > > > Outlook Tips: http://www.outlook-tips.net/
>> > > > http://www.howto-outlook.com/
>> > > >
>> > > >
>> > > >
>> > > > "Joe" wrote:
>> > > >
>> > > > > I've been using Outlook 2003 for years, but after miagrating to 
>> > > > > Vista, the
>> > > > > following problem cropped up.
>> > > > >
>> > > > > When I try to send some emails in Outlook 2003, I get the 
>> > > > > following error
>> > > > > message:
>> > > > > Task 'Main-Sending' reported error(0x80070057) : 'Could not 
>> > > > > complete the
>> > > > > operation.  One or more parameter values are not valid.'  (note: 
>> > > > > "Main" is
>> > > > > my primary pop3/SMTP server).
>> > > > >
>> > > > > My ISP says it's Microsoft's problem, not something at the 
>> > > > > server, and they
>> > > > > have no idea.
>> > > > > I searched the MS website, but did not get any hits on the error.
>> > > > >
>> > > > > It only affects *some* of the emails.  So far, all of the 
>> > > > > affected items
>> > > > > seem to be ones that I am forwarding and have attachments or 
>> > > > > imbedded
>> > > > > Internet links.
>> > > > > However, some forwarded emails with links or attachments go 
>> > > > > through just
>> > > > > fine.  Usually, if I regenerate the message from scratch, it will 
>> > > > > go
>> > > > > through.
>> > > > >
>> > > > > Has anyone experienced this problem and worked out a fix?
>> > > > >
>> > > > > Thanks.
>> > > > > 


0
f.h.muffman (751)
6/11/2007 6:02:05 PM
Where does one get a "protocol sniffer"?

What irritates me is the "Aw geez, something went wrong... sorry 'bout 
that..." nature of the error message.  That's the way Macintosh does it!

"F.H. Muffman" wrote:

> Honestly, the best troubleshooting step might be to look at the actual 
> network traffic with a protocol sniffer to see what exactly is being sent 
> that the server doesn't seem to agree with.  That's probably the only way 
> you'll get to the bottom of the problem.
> 
> -- 
> f.h.
> "Joe" <Joe@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message 
> news:A946D92F-B27D-4B89-BB11-44E765B70CD8@microsoft.com...
> > Thanks.  I've tried those steps several times, to no effect.  I have three
> > email addresses (all on the same ISP, though), and they all behave the 
> > same
> > way.
> >
> > My ISP swears it it not a problem on their end (and judging by the number 
> > of
> > people here who report similar behavior. I suspect my ISP may be right);
> > however, they only support OE and webmail--so they will give me no help in
> > seeking a solution.
> >
> > At this point, I'm convinced it's a bug in Outlook that is not ISP 
> > specific,
> > so I'm trying to decide which alternate mail program to switch to.
> >
> > "K. Orland" wrote:
> >
> >> I would try running Detect and Repair (from the Help Menu), you'll likely
> >> need your Office CD.
> >>
> >> If that doesn't make a difference, I would rename your current mail 
> >> profile
> >> (use the mail applet in the Control Panel) and create a new one. You'll 
> >> find
> >> instructions on how to do that here:
> >> http://www.howto-outlook.com/faq/newprofile.htm
> >>
> >> Let me know if either or neither works. Good luck!
> >> -- 
> >> Kathleen Orland
> >> Outlook Tips: http://www.outlook-tips.net/
> >> http://www.howto-outlook.com/
> >>
> >>
> >>
> >> "Joe" wrote:
> >>
> >> > Following advice I found in another thread, I discovered the OPMLOG 
> >> > file.  It
> >> > logs all activity, not just SMTP.  Here is the snippet where I was 
> >> > trying to
> >> > send:
> >> >
> >> >   2007.06.08 19:58:20 SMTP (smtp.east.cox.net): Begin execution
> >> >   2007.06.08 19:58:20 SMTP (smtp.east.cox.net): End execution
> >> >   2007.06.08 19:58:20 Main: Synch operation started (flags = 00000030)
> >> >   2007.06.08 19:58:20 Main: DoPOPDownload(flags = 00000030, max msg =
> >> > ffffffff): full items
> >> >   2007.06.08 19:58:20 Main: ReportStatus: RSF_COMPLETED, hr = 
> >> > 0x80070057
> >> >   2007.06.08 19:58:20 Main: Synch operation completed
> >> >
> >> > I don't see anything helful there.  Unfortunately, the error message in 
> >> > play
> >> > seems to translate to: "Wow! Something unexpected happened, but we have 
> >> > no
> >> > earthly idea of what it was or how to describe it."
> >> >
> >> > "Joe" wrote:
> >> >
> >> > > Thanks, but that didn't work.  Registry changes are all there, but 
> >> > > the log
> >> > > file is not created.  The folder structure described is not created, 
> >> > > so I
> >> > > created it manually--to no avail.  A search of all files with "smtp" 
> >> > > or "log"
> >> > > in the filename filas to show any such log file.
> >> > >
> >> > > "K. Orland" wrote:
> >> > >
> >> > > > You could try logging the SMTP conversation to see what's going on 
> >> > > > behind the
> >> > > > scenes. Take a look at this article for info on logging:
> >> > > >
> >> > > > http://support.microsoft.com/support/kb/articles/q177/8/78.asp
> >> > > >
> >> > > > -- 
> >> > > > Kathleen Orland
> >> > > > Outlook Tips: http://www.outlook-tips.net/
> >> > > > http://www.howto-outlook.com/
> >> > > >
> >> > > >
> >> > > >
> >> > > > "Joe" wrote:
> >> > > >
> >> > > > > I've been using Outlook 2003 for years, but after miagrating to 
> >> > > > > Vista, the
> >> > > > > following problem cropped up.
> >> > > > >
> >> > > > > When I try to send some emails in Outlook 2003, I get the 
> >> > > > > following error
> >> > > > > message:
> >> > > > > Task 'Main-Sending' reported error(0x80070057) : 'Could not 
> >> > > > > complete the
> >> > > > > operation.  One or more parameter values are not valid.'  (note: 
> >> > > > > "Main" is
> >> > > > > my primary pop3/SMTP server).
> >> > > > >
> >> > > > > My ISP says it's Microsoft's problem, not something at the 
> >> > > > > server, and they
> >> > > > > have no idea.
> >> > > > > I searched the MS website, but did not get any hits on the error.
> >> > > > >
> >> > > > > It only affects *some* of the emails.  So far, all of the 
> >> > > > > affected items
> >> > > > > seem to be ones that I am forwarding and have attachments or 
> >> > > > > imbedded
> >> > > > > Internet links.
> >> > > > > However, some forwarded emails with links or attachments go 
> >> > > > > through just
> >> > > > > fine.  Usually, if I regenerate the message from scratch, it will 
> >> > > > > go
> >> > > > > through.
> >> > > > >
> >> > > > > Has anyone experienced this problem and worked out a fix?
> >> > > > >
> >> > > > > Thanks.
> >> > > > > 
> 
> 
> 
0
Joe (497)
6/11/2007 9:40:00 PM
There's no polite way to say this, so, I beg your forgiveness.

If you don't know where to get a protocol sniffer, you're going to need a 
lot of help in setting it up, using it and interpreting the results.  It's 
sorta like the whole 'If you have to ask, you can't afford it' thing.

But, really, if your ISP says it's not their problem, I'd ask them 'How can 
you tell?  What is Outlook sending to you that produces the error?'  If they 
can't tell you, then, well, really, they can't know it isn't their problem. 
I mean, really, it comes down to this question:  What is the command that 
Outlook sends to the SMTP server that produces the error?  Knowing that, it 
might be possible to figure out what's wrong in Outlook.  Or, honestly, it 
might not be.  It might need to be one of those things that only Microsoft 
can figure out through tech support.

-- 
f.h.
"Joe" <Joe@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message 
news:1B671C3F-1F71-40CB-9506-6908EAE68810@microsoft.com...
> Where does one get a "protocol sniffer"?
>
> What irritates me is the "Aw geez, something went wrong... sorry 'bout
> that..." nature of the error message.  That's the way Macintosh does it!
>
> "F.H. Muffman" wrote:
>
>> Honestly, the best troubleshooting step might be to look at the actual
>> network traffic with a protocol sniffer to see what exactly is being sent
>> that the server doesn't seem to agree with.  That's probably the only way
>> you'll get to the bottom of the problem.
>>
>> "Joe" <Joe@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> news:A946D92F-B27D-4B89-BB11-44E765B70CD8@microsoft.com...
>> > Thanks.  I've tried those steps several times, to no effect.  I have 
>> > three
>> > email addresses (all on the same ISP, though), and they all behave the
>> > same way.
>> >
>> > My ISP swears it it not a problem on their end (and judging by the 
>> > number of
>> > people here who report similar behavior. I suspect my ISP may be 
>> > right);
>> > however, they only support OE and webmail--so they will give me no help 
>> > in
>> > seeking a solution.
>> >
>> > At this point, I'm convinced it's a bug in Outlook that is not ISP 
>> > specific,
>> > so I'm trying to decide which alternate mail program to switch to.
>> >
>> > "K. Orland" wrote:
>> >
>> >> I would try running Detect and Repair (from the Help Menu), you'll 
>> >> likely
>> >> need your Office CD.
>> >>
>> >> If that doesn't make a difference, I would rename your current mail 
>> >> profile
>> >> (use the mail applet in the Control Panel) and create a new one. 
>> >> You'll find
>> >> instructions on how to do that here:
>> >> http://www.howto-outlook.com/faq/newprofile.htm
>> >>
>> >> Let me know if either or neither works. Good luck!
>> >> "Joe" wrote:
>> >>
>> >> > Following advice I found in another thread, I discovered the OPMLOG
>> >> > file.  It
>> >> > logs all activity, not just SMTP.  Here is the snippet where I was
>> >> > trying to
>> >> > send:
>> >> >
>> >> >   2007.06.08 19:58:20 SMTP (smtp.east.cox.net): Begin execution
>> >> >   2007.06.08 19:58:20 SMTP (smtp.east.cox.net): End execution
>> >> >   2007.06.08 19:58:20 Main: Synch operation started (flags = 
>> >> > 00000030)
>> >> >   2007.06.08 19:58:20 Main: DoPOPDownload(flags = 00000030, max msg 
>> >> > =
>> >> > ffffffff): full items
>> >> >   2007.06.08 19:58:20 Main: ReportStatus: RSF_COMPLETED, hr =
>> >> > 0x80070057
>> >> >   2007.06.08 19:58:20 Main: Synch operation completed
>> >> >
>> >> > I don't see anything helful there.  Unfortunately, the error message 
>> >> > in
>> >> > play
>> >> > seems to translate to: "Wow! Something unexpected happened, but we 
>> >> > have
>> >> > no
>> >> > earthly idea of what it was or how to describe it."
>> >> >
>> >> > "Joe" wrote:
>> >> >
>> >> > > Thanks, but that didn't work.  Registry changes are all there, but
>> >> > > the log
>> >> > > file is not created.  The folder structure described is not 
>> >> > > created,
>> >> > > so I
>> >> > > created it manually--to no avail.  A search of all files with 
>> >> > > "smtp"
>> >> > > or "log"
>> >> > > in the filename filas to show any such log file.
>> >> > >
>> >> > > "K. Orland" wrote:
>> >> > >
>> >> > > > You could try logging the SMTP conversation to see what's going 
>> >> > > > on
>> >> > > > behind the
>> >> > > > scenes. Take a look at this article for info on logging:
>> >> > > >
>> >> > > > http://support.microsoft.com/support/kb/articles/q177/8/78.asp
>> >> > > >
>> >> > > > "Joe" wrote:
>> >> > > >
>> >> > > > > I've been using Outlook 2003 for years, but after miagrating 
>> >> > > > > to
>> >> > > > > Vista, the
>> >> > > > > following problem cropped up.
>> >> > > > >
>> >> > > > > When I try to send some emails in Outlook 2003, I get the
>> >> > > > > following error
>> >> > > > > message:
>> >> > > > > Task 'Main-Sending' reported error(0x80070057) : 'Could not
>> >> > > > > complete the
>> >> > > > > operation.  One or more parameter values are not valid.' 
>> >> > > > > (note:
>> >> > > > > "Main" is
>> >> > > > > my primary pop3/SMTP server).
>> >> > > > >
>> >> > > > > My ISP says it's Microsoft's problem, not something at the
>> >> > > > > server, and they
>> >> > > > > have no idea.
>> >> > > > > I searched the MS website, but did not get any hits on the 
>> >> > > > > error.
>> >> > > > >
>> >> > > > > It only affects *some* of the emails.  So far, all of the
>> >> > > > > affected items
>> >> > > > > seem to be ones that I am forwarding and have attachments or
>> >> > > > > imbedded
>> >> > > > > Internet links.
>> >> > > > > However, some forwarded emails with links or attachments go
>> >> > > > > through just
>> >> > > > > fine.  Usually, if I regenerate the message from scratch, it 
>> >> > > > > will
>> >> > > > > go
>> >> > > > > through.
>> >> > > > >
>> >> > > > > Has anyone experienced this problem and worked out a fix?


0
f.h.muffman (751)
6/12/2007 12:36:47 AM
Have you turned on Diagnostic Logging?  Do so, and send something out, =
verify that is is not received and then post the relevant portions of =
the error log that show the problem (will probably have a "failed" =
somewhere).

--=81
Milly Staples [MVP - Outlook]

Post all replies to the group to keep the discussion intact.  All
unsolicited mail sent to my personal account will be deleted without
reading. =20

After furious head scratching, Joe asked:

| Thanks.  I've tried those steps several times, to no effect.  I have
| three email addresses (all on the same ISP, though), and they all
| behave the same way.
|=20
| My ISP swears it it not a problem on their end (and judging by the
| number of people here who report similar behavior. I suspect my ISP
| may be right); however, they only support OE and webmail--so they
| will give me no help in seeking a solution.
|=20
| At this point, I'm convinced it's a bug in Outlook that is not ISP
| specific, so I'm trying to decide which alternate mail program to
| switch to.=20
|=20
| "K. Orland" wrote:
|=20
|| I would try running Detect and Repair (from the Help Menu), you'll
|| likely need your Office CD.
||=20
|| If that doesn't make a difference, I would rename your current mail
|| profile (use the mail applet in the Control Panel) and create a new
|| one. You'll find instructions on how to do that here:
|| http://www.howto-outlook.com/faq/newprofile.htm
||=20
|| Let me know if either or neither works. Good luck!
|| --
|| Kathleen Orland
|| Outlook Tips: http://www.outlook-tips.net/
|| http://www.howto-outlook.com/
||=20
||=20
||=20
|| "Joe" wrote:
||=20
||| Following advice I found in another thread, I discovered the OPMLOG
||| file.  It logs all activity, not just SMTP.  Here is the snippet
||| where I was trying to send:
|||=20
|||   2007.06.08 19:58:20 SMTP (smtp.east.cox.net): Begin execution
|||   2007.06.08 19:58:20 SMTP (smtp.east.cox.net): End execution
|||   2007.06.08 19:58:20 Main: Synch operation started (flags =3D
|||   00000030) 2007.06.08 19:58:20 Main: DoPOPDownload(flags =3D
||| 00000030, max msg =3D ffffffff): full items
|||   2007.06.08 19:58:20 Main: ReportStatus: RSF_COMPLETED, hr =3D
|||   0x80070057 2007.06.08 19:58:20 Main: Synch operation completed
|||=20
||| I don't see anything helful there.  Unfortunately, the error
||| message in play seems to translate to: "Wow! Something unexpected
||| happened, but we have no earthly idea of what it was or how to
||| describe it."=20
|||=20
||| "Joe" wrote:
|||=20
|||| Thanks, but that didn't work.  Registry changes are all there, but
|||| the log file is not created.  The folder structure described is
|||| not created, so I created it manually--to no avail.  A search of
|||| all files with "smtp" or "log" in the filename filas to show any
|||| such log file.=20
||||=20
|||| "K. Orland" wrote:
||||=20
||||| You could try logging the SMTP conversation to see what's going
||||| on behind the scenes. Take a look at this article for info on
||||| logging:=20
|||||=20
||||| http://support.microsoft.com/support/kb/articles/q177/8/78.asp
|||||=20
||||| --
||||| Kathleen Orland
||||| Outlook Tips: http://www.outlook-tips.net/
||||| http://www.howto-outlook.com/
|||||=20
|||||=20
|||||=20
||||| "Joe" wrote:
|||||=20
|||||| I've been using Outlook 2003 for years, but after miagrating to
|||||| Vista, the following problem cropped up.
||||||=20
|||||| When I try to send some emails in Outlook 2003, I get the
|||||| following error message:
|||||| Task 'Main-Sending' reported error(0x80070057) : 'Could not
|||||| complete the operation.  One or more parameter values are not
|||||| valid.'  (note: "Main" is my primary pop3/SMTP server).
||||||=20
|||||| My ISP says it's Microsoft's problem, not something at the
|||||| server, and they have no idea.
|||||| I searched the MS website, but did not get any hits on the error.
||||||=20
|||||| It only affects *some* of the emails.  So far, all of the
|||||| affected items seem to be ones that I am forwarding and have
|||||| attachments or imbedded Internet links.
|||||| However, some forwarded emails with links or attachments go
|||||| through just fine.  Usually, if I regenerate the message from
|||||| scratch, it will go through.
||||||=20
|||||| Has anyone experienced this problem and worked out a fix?
||||||=20
|||||| Thanks.
0
MillyS (3228)
6/12/2007 3:00:17 AM
Reply:

Similar Artilces:

Outlook with Outlook Express ?
Is it possible to select an Outlook Contact, and send an email using Outlook Express? Thanks. Talal Itani No. But you can do it vice versa. "Talal Itani" <titani@verizon.net> wrote in message news:TXaXh.4742$Fc1.4027@trnddc05... > > Is it possible to select an Outlook Contact, and send an email using > Outlook Express? > > Thanks. > Talal Itani > Talal Itani <titani@verizon.net> wrote: > Is it possible to select an Outlook Contact, and send an email using > Outlook Express? No, but you could open the Outlook Contact, select the e...

Why does Outlook access contacts twice at start up?
When I open Outlook (2002), I am always immediately promped twice to allow access to contacts. Is this normal? (I always decline) Dave Clewlow;111740 Wrote: > When I open Outlook (2002), I am always immediately promped twice to > allow access to contacts. Is this normal? (I always decline) What is the exact text of the error or prompt and what type of account are you using? -- Brian Tillman Brian Tillman [MVP-Outlook] -- http://forums.slipstick.com What add-ins are installed? It sounds like you have two that want to access your contacts. -- Diane P...

I am unable to activate a 2nd account in Outlook
My 2nd e-mail shows up in Outlook but no messages get sent there. http://www.howto-outlook.com/faq/newprofile.htm -- Kathleen Orland Outlook Tips: http://www.outlook-tips.net/ http://www.howto-outlook.com/ Outlook & Exchange Solutions Center: http://www.slipstick.com "55trojan" wrote: > My 2nd e-mail shows up in Outlook but no messages get sent there. ...

Configuring free/busy calendar in Exchange 2003
Does anyone know how to configure the free/busy in Exchange 2003 to publish more than 2 months of calendar free/busy information on the server? I can do it on the client Outlook but I want to change the default from 2 months to 6 months for all users. Free/busy information is used by people sending meeting requests to determine when you are available for meeting. Thanks. --John ...

Importing old Outlook contact data into new Outlook personal fold
Background (please bear with me here): I had a hard drive crash and no recent backup (I know I'm an idiot!). I finally had to have a disk recovery outfit rescue my data. However, for reasons I won't bore you with, a couple of months elapsed between crash and recovery of old data. During that time, I got a new drive and reinstalled the programs, like Office 2007. So I have data in the newer installation and older data in the previous, recovered drive. I need to get the old personal address book info from a backup of the old Outlook 2007 into my new Outlook 2007 .pst fol...

Outlook freezes up
I just upgraded my OS to XP Pro and my Office to XP Pro. After teh upgrades I went to Windows Update and installed all the updates that were made since SP1 and then done the same for Office Updates. One of the updates SP1 downloaded and then quit the install telling me to download again and try to reinstall. When I go to down load it says the file is already downloaded... Where is it and how can I fix this problem? Thanks, Fred >-----Original Message----- >I just upgraded my OS to XP Pro and my Office to XP Pro. >After teh upgrades I went to Windows Update and install...

Outlook Contacts 05-25-07
Is there a way to point CRM contacts to a different folder in Outlook durring sink? ...

Outlook & Entourage
Hi All, I have Exchange 2007 server. I have a client. I setup Outlook in Dell PC and Entourage in his MAC PC. I have a problem now. When he checked Sent Items from Outlook, there just only have old sent emails which he sent on 2008 and he said that he has already deleted them. On Entourage, in Sent Items, there are emails which is he sent out recently, it shows correctly. Is anybody know why? Is there any tools which I could use for checking user's sent email box to see how many emails or email details are there from Exchange 2007? Thanks in advance, --qq "...

Outlook *.pst import to Outlook Web Access???
I am wondering if there is a way to import my Personal Folder.pst into Outlook Web Access application? JimC No, that's not possible, because OWA is a browser application. It knows = nothing about files on your hard drive.=20 --=20 Sue Mosher, Outlook MVP Author of Configuring Microsoft Outlook 2003 http://www.turtleflock.com/olconfig/index.htm and Microsoft Outlook Programming - Jumpstart for=20 Administrators, Power Users, and Developers http://www.outlookcode.com/jumpstart.aspx =20 "JimC2007" <JimC2007@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message...

Opening Outlook
I can't open Outlook. Outlook Express is fine. I get the message "Unable to open your default folders. Outlook could not open because a location to send and receive e-mail could not be found. To add a location open the 'Mail' icon in control panel. I've looked in the 'mail' and I have 'none' in the delivery section and no apparent means of adding one. Help Search your hard drive for all files with a .PST extension. If you're using Windows 2000 or XP, you'll need to enable searching in hidden and system folders to find all possible .PST fi...

gridlines in outlook?
im trying to make outlook print gridlines. i copy a piece of an exce worksheet into an outlook email. the gridlines appear ok. but when i g to print- they dont appear on the preview or the print out. what do i need to do to make them visible ----------------------------------------------- ~~ Message posted from http://www.ExcelTip.com ~~View and post usenet messages directly from http://www.ExcelForum.com ...

Please Help with Outlook Journal (Outlook 2002)
The journal is very important to me but it doesn't seem to be working. A) The contact list only displays 1/3 of my contacts (A-I) B) When I do check one of those boxes to track a contact, nothing automatically appears in the journal please help thanks in advance that dialog is a PITA. :) Go to the contacts folder and choose the phone list view from view, current view (or the advanced toolbar's current view selector) one of the last fields is Journal. Add and remove checks to that column to change the journal status. If you make a custom view that groups by journal field yo...

can't create rules in outlook
When I try to create rules in outlook, I get a message which says the rule can't be created and to check my folder permissions. If I go through the wizard, I can create them successfully. It is really frustrating, because most of what I want to create would be simple to create with the create button. I'm the only user on this machine. It is running Windows XP pro and I'm the admin. I'm using Outlook 2002. Anyone have any ideas? Thanks, Anne ...

outlook 2002
Hello I am having problems accessing outlook 2002 I get a message " microsoft has stopped working" then another message " the product entered it's extended support phase" can anyone help please Many thanks On 5/7/2010 7:13 AM, CAH wrote: > Hello I am having problems accessing outlook 2002 I get a message " > microsoft has stopped working" then another message " the product entered > it's extended support phase" > can anyone help please Many thanks You will need to ask this question in a group specific t...

select name box freezes Outlook
Outlook 2002 sp2 XP Pro When I click the To: button, the select names window opens. I cannot select any names as Outlook freezes completely. I have to close the entire program through Ctl Alt Del. I used the cd to do a fix and repair, but it did not fix or repair the problem. Any solutions or suggestions are appreciated. Jerry ...

outlook and links in emails
hi all, maybe someone knows... when i receive an email with a HTML link in it, is there any way (when i click on it) to make outlook open this using the inbuilt browser instead of it opening into IE? I am using office 2002 (=XP). regards, piotr The "in-built" browser IS Internet Explorer. What is it you are trying to accomplish? --� Milly Staples [MVP - Outlook] Post all replies to the group to keep the discussion intact. Due to the Swen virus, all e-mails sent to my actual account will be deleted w/out reading. After searching google.groups.com and finding no answer Llama ...

Outlook XP and attachments
I have recently installed Outlook XP SP-2. I send attachments (in this case. Powerpoint file). If I retrieve the mail message from a POP server with Outlook XP, I also receive attachments. If I retrieve the message with Outlook Express 6.0, the attachmente deos not come through. What am I doing wrong? how do I correct the problem?? Thanks andrea <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: > I have recently installed Outlook XP SP-2. > > I send attachments (in this case. Powerpoint file). If I > retrieve the mail message from a POP server with Outlook > XP, I als...

Exchange 2010, Outlook 2003
I've setup my Exchange 2010 server with my email address policies. Of course there are some acceptions to the rules. I've made changes to those accounts in the EMC under Recipient Configuration | Mailbox. I edit the account under the "E-Mail Addresses" tab by adding the diffrent email address, unchecking the "Automatically update e-mail addresses based on e-mail address policy", then click the "Set as Reply" button. If I fire up Outlook 2010, start to compose an email and select that person from the GAL, it will have the correct email addres...

Excel 2003 Page Breaks
I e-mailed a workbook to a collegue that contained 28 worksheets. On my PC, all the vertical page breaks were set so printing was done on one page for each sheet. On his machine the page break shifted to the left such that some columns were on a second page for each sheet. What can be done to preserve the verticle page break setting. This file will be sent daily and we would like to not need to adjust the page breaks. He probably has a different printer and a different printer driver. Not much you can do about that, except work in very safe distance from the margins. Maybe doing the fin...

Outlook 2007
Every time I go to Tasks the To Do list is the default view. I moved Tasks up to the top but the To Do list remains the default. Can you please tell me how to switch off the To Do list or make Tasks the default view. Can I go back to the good old Task view of Outlook 2003 without these dang To Do's ? Grateful for any help. Cheers. AFAIk, you can't change that. You could create a view the hid flagged messages, so only tasks are visible. -- Diane Poremsky [MVP - Outlook] Outlook Tips: http://www.outlook-tips.net/ Outlook & Exchange Solutions Center: http://www.slip...

corrupted word-outlook interface or preferences
Without any warning, some preferences for Word 2003 when I use it as the email editor for Outlook got goofy today. When I'm in edit mode (creating a new email or replying to an old one), the fonts look bolder and larger than they should. When I send the email, they look fine when received. The fonts all look okay when I stop using Word as my email editor. I thought that maybe a Word preference got corrupted. I've tried deleting the Normal.dot file (for Word, since it seems that Word is at least part of the problem) and also doing the "detect and repair" option, but I&#...

FYI Office 2003 Updates Now Available
Visit http://office.microsoft.com and click on Check for Updates Word 2003 Update: KB834702 (Finnish) / Word 2003 Update: KB834702 for Multilingual User Interface Pack (English). This update fixes an issue with the user interface for the Finnish version of Word 2003. The OK button is missing from the Table Properties dialogue box. Access 2003 Danish Update: KB834013 (Danish) / Access 2003 Danish Update for Multilingual User Interface Pack: KB834013 (English). This update from Microsoft prevents a potential error. If this error occurs, the three Danish characters �, � and � do not appear cor...

outlook #180
How do I set reminders (one week in advance) for birthdays or other events? Thank you, in advance, to anyone that can answer this question. In the reminders box, enter 1w for one week or 7d. --� Milly Staples [MVP - Outlook] Post all replies to the group to keep the discussion intact. Due to the (insert latest virus name here) virus, all mail sent to my personal account will be deleted without reading. After searching google.groups.com and finding no answer, Harvey asked: | How do I set reminders (one week in advance) for | birthdays or other events? | | Thank you, in advance, to anyo...

Spam Confidence Level (SCL) in Outlook 2007 with Exchange 2003
I have just upgraded our client machines to run Outlook 2007 while connecting to an SBS 2003 R2 server. I can no longer access the SCL values. I have tried a number of suggestions found on the web but nothing seems to work. Does anyone have a working solution for this configuration. Thanks Using the CFG to create the custom field? It seems to work for some and not others. I'm not sure why that is, but after an odd experience with one of the other CFG's I have, I thought of the SCL form and wondered if its something with the folders its installed in. [1] Beyond this...

outlook to outlook express #4
Hi, I am hoping there is away to import all my Outlook Express settings inc address book, messages and files in all local folders to Outlook 2003. I am using Outlook Express 6 When I start to install Outlook 2003 it asks if I want to Configure an email account... I stopped there afraid I would lose all my settings from Express. Any and all help would be appreciated I think you say no to that dialog and then you will get prompted about importing from OE. (Even if you say yes, it won't go delete anything out of OE.) "Manny" <manny_is@hotmail.com> wrote in messag...