Outlook 2003 does not "remember' previous email addresses when you type in their first name - only for the last name

Gurus,

Using Outlook 2003.  I thought Outlook 2003 "remembered" previous email
addresses you typed?  With people I've emailed before, I'll type their first
name and Outlook pops up their address.  However, my supervisor also running
Outlook 2003 has to manually bring up the address book or type the last name
for which Outlook will pop up the correct suggestion(s).

He has enabled the following:
Tools - Options - Email Options - Advanced Email Options - Suggest names
while completing To, Cc, and Bcc fields

My supervisor tested this. When he unchecks that box, the automatic name
locator stopped working (e.g. both John and Smith gave me nothing) but when
he re-checked it he can type in SMI and John Smith pops up but typing John
gives nothing).  Note our company Address Book is sorted by Last Name, First
Name.

While I'm told that's expected behavior, in my Outlook 2003 I can type John
and up pops John Smith.  Any thoughts?

--
Spin

0
Spin (165)

Has he sent mail to John Smith before? Outlook caches previous recipients
for auto-fill. You might want to delete his NK2 file to reset his auto-fill
cache.

"Spin" <Spin@spin.com> wrote in message
> Gurus,
>
> Using Outlook 2003.  I thought Outlook 2003 "remembered" previous email
> addresses you typed?  With people I've emailed before, I'll type their
> first name and Outlook pops up their address.  However, my supervisor also
> running Outlook 2003 has to manually bring up the address book or type the
> last name for which Outlook will pop up the correct suggestion(s).
>
> He has enabled the following:
> Tools - Options - Email Options - Advanced Email Options - Suggest names
> while completing To, Cc, and Bcc fields
>
> My supervisor tested this. When he unchecks that box, the automatic name
> locator stopped working (e.g. both John and Smith gave me nothing) but
> when he re-checked it he can type in SMI and John Smith pops up but typing
> John gives nothing).  Note our company Address Book is sorted by Last
> Name, First Name.
>
> While I'm told that's expected behavior, in my Outlook 2003 I can type
> John and up pops John Smith.  Any thoughts?

0
vince8328 (2732)
8/14/2007 10:19:59 AM
I have the same problem but I will take it a little further... I bet this
applies to Spin as well...?

I can type "John" (without the quotes) and then hit Check Names, and it will
bring up the Global Address Book and it will list all the Johnsons, etc...
and it will also list "Smith, John". However, when the customer with the
problem does the same thing it only lists the users with last name starting
with "John". "Smith, John" never gets listed...!

I can also type in "John S" hit Check Names, and Outlook would go to the
Global Address Book and list all people with the last name starting with
"John" for example "Johnson Sue" but it will also list "Smith John". This
does not work for some people though. This has nothing to do with the
AutoComplete Outlook Cache, this is a direct lookup feature from the Global
Address Book, which just seems to behave differently between users.

Really strange, and we are all using Outlook 2003.

Any ideas what might cause the difference?

TIA!

 / Per

"Vince Averello [MVP-Outlook]" <vince@omegageek.com> wrote in message
> Has he sent mail to John Smith before? Outlook caches previous recipients
> for auto-fill. You might want to delete his NK2 file to reset his
> auto-fill cache.
>
> "Spin" <Spin@spin.com> wrote in message
>> Gurus,
>>
>> Using Outlook 2003.  I thought Outlook 2003 "remembered" previous email
>> addresses you typed?  With people I've emailed before, I'll type their
>> first name and Outlook pops up their address.  However, my supervisor
>> also running Outlook 2003 has to manually bring up the address book or
>> type the last name for which Outlook will pop up the correct
>> suggestion(s).
>>
>> He has enabled the following:
>> Tools - Options - Email Options - Advanced Email Options - Suggest names
>> while completing To, Cc, and Bcc fields
>>
>> My supervisor tested this. When he unchecks that box, the automatic name
>> locator stopped working (e.g. both John and Smith gave me nothing) but
>> when he re-checked it he can type in SMI and John Smith pops up but
>> typing John gives nothing).  Note our company Address Book is sorted by
>> Last Name, First Name.
>>
>> While I'm told that's expected behavior, in my Outlook 2003 I can type
>> John and up pops John Smith.  Any thoughts?

0
poh (7)
8/15/2007 3:48:42 PM

"Spin" wrote:

> Gurus,
>
> Using Outlook 2003.  I thought Outlook 2003 "remembered" previous email
> addresses you typed?  With people I've emailed before, I'll type their first
> name and Outlook pops up their address.  However, my supervisor also running
> Outlook 2003 has to manually bring up the address book or type the last name
> for which Outlook will pop up the correct suggestion(s).
>
> He has enabled the following:
> Tools - Options - Email Options - Advanced Email Options - Suggest names
> while completing To, Cc, and Bcc fields
>
> My supervisor tested this. When he unchecks that box, the automatic name
> locator stopped working (e.g. both John and Smith gave me nothing) but when
> he re-checked it he can type in SMI and John Smith pops up but typing John
> gives nothing).  Note our company Address Book is sorted by Last Name, First
> Name.
>
> While I'm told that's expected behavior, in my Outlook 2003 I can type John
> and up pops John Smith.  Any thoughts?
>
> --
> Spin

0
T (153)
8/21/2007 2:04:00 PM
my email was set with that option, so I unchecked it, closed Outlook, opened
again and set the option back again, and my contact list showed up again,
thanks

"Spin" wrote:

> Gurus,
>
> Using Outlook 2003.  I thought Outlook 2003 "remembered" previous email
> addresses you typed?  With people I've emailed before, I'll type their first
> name and Outlook pops up their address.  However, my supervisor also running
> Outlook 2003 has to manually bring up the address book or type the last name
> for which Outlook will pop up the correct suggestion(s).
>
> He has enabled the following:
> Tools - Options - Email Options - Advanced Email Options - Suggest names
> while completing To, Cc, and Bcc fields
>
> My supervisor tested this. When he unchecks that box, the automatic name
> locator stopped working (e.g. both John and Smith gave me nothing) but when
> he re-checked it he can type in SMI and John Smith pops up but typing John
> gives nothing).  Note our company Address Book is sorted by Last Name, First
> Name.
>
> While I'm told that's expected behavior, in my Outlook 2003 I can type John
> and up pops John Smith.  Any thoughts?
>
> --
> Spin

0
ShariT (1)

Sort highest by name
I have 55 teams in A1 to A55. I have their scores in B1 to B55. Is there a way to list the scores (highest to lowest) but giving their team names instead of all the numbers in order of the highest to the lowest? Help Obe 1 Why don't you just sort this data by column B in descending order? Select the range starting from cell B1 then just click the sort descending button on the toolbar. If you don't want to sort the data then you could use a formula. Are there any tie scores? What type of values are the scores? Are they whole numbers? Decimals? -- Biff Microsoft Excel MVP &qu...

Outlook with Outlook Express ?

Configuring free/busy calendar in Exchange 2003
Does anyone know how to configure the free/busy in Exchange 2003 to publish more than 2 months of calendar free/busy information on the server? I can do it on the client Outlook but I want to change the default from 2 months to 6 months for all users. Free/busy information is used by people sending meeting requests to determine when you are available for meeting. Thanks. --John ...

Outlook Contacts 05-25-07

Outlook freezes up

TextBox Bound to Memo Filed displays the first 255 Chr
hi everyone I have a "Notes" field which is set on the table as a MEMO field. The notes field is loaded into a form (bound) .the "Notes" field contains more than 255 characters. However, the "Notes" field (which is already a memo field type bound to textbox) the textbox cuts off all data after 255 characters. please help thanks Wael If the form is based directly on the table (not on a query), you probably have something in the Format property of the text box on the form, or in the Format property of the field in the table. Eliminate whatever is in the ...

Outlook & Entourage

Opening Outlook

gridlines in outlook?

can't create rules in outlook

select name box freezes Outlook

outlook 2002

outlook and links in emails

Outlook XP and attachments

Email body arrives as attachment
Hi We are receiving a number of emails which are mostly replies where the email body is added as an attachment. I can only think this is being caused by antivirus systems on other peoples email servers, a fact that I am trying to check, however would welcome any suggestions. This is a new problem that has only kicked in today. The server did run out of disk space this morning but that has been resolved (the backup failed and did not remove the logs). thanks in advance ...

Exchange 2010, Outlook 2003

Outlook 2007

Excel 2003 Page Breaks
I e-mailed a workbook to a collegue that contained 28 worksheets. On my PC, all the vertical page breaks were set so printing was done on one page for each sheet. On his machine the page break shifted to the left such that some columns were on a second page for each sheet. What can be done to preserve the verticle page break setting. This file will be sent daily and we would like to not need to adjust the page breaks. He probably has a different printer and a different printer driver. Not much you can do about that, except work in very safe distance from the margins. Maybe doing the fin...

FYI Office 2003 Updates Now Available
Visit http://office.microsoft.com and click on Check for Updates Word 2003 Update: KB834702 (Finnish) / Word 2003 Update: KB834702 for Multilingual User Interface Pack (English). This update fixes an issue with the user interface for the Finnish version of Word 2003. The OK button is missing from the Table Properties dialogue box. Access 2003 Danish Update: KB834013 (Danish) / Access 2003 Danish Update for Multilingual User Interface Pack: KB834013 (English). This update from Microsoft prevents a potential error. If this error occurs, the three Danish characters �, � and � do not appear cor...