Outlook 2003 and Word 2003 problem

Weird problem. "All of the sudden", when I hit reply or forward, I get
the following error:

"Microsoft Word is set to be your e-mail editor. However, Word is
unavailable, not installed, or is not the same version as Outlook. The
Outlook e-mail editor will be used instead. An OLE registration error
occurred. The program is not correctly installed. Run Setup again for
the program."

Now, the "funny" thing is that with New message, Word opens normally. I
ran Detect and Repair a few times. I even uninstalled and reinstalled
entire office (Enterprise) and applied all the service packs and hot
fixes - still nothing.

Would anyone care to speculate what might be the problem here?

TIA

lc
0
lcdata (11)

There appear to be a whole host of causes for this error message. Most have
no solution. Here are a few that do:
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;Q284900
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;Q319796
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;Q196871
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;Q223934

In the most refractory of cases, you can try this at your own risk:
Get the Windows Installer Cleanup utility from Microsoft.
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;290301

Then uninstall Word and run the installer cleanup utility to remove anything
that has Word in it and\or remove information from any previous version of
Microsoft Office.  Reboot.  Then re-install Word.  Reboot.  Then run Office
Detect and Repair.  Reboot.

To use the Windows installer cleanup utility to remove Word:
1. Click Start, point to All Programs, and then click Windows Install Clean
Up.
2. In the list of installed programs, click Word or the earlier Office
installation, and then click Remove.
3. When the removal process is completed, click OK, and then click Exit.
--
Russ Valentine
[MVP-Outlook]
"lc" <lcdata@hotmail.com> wrote in message

> Weird problem. "All of the sudden", when I hit reply or forward, I get the
> following error:
>
> "Microsoft Word is set to be your e-mail editor. However, Word is
> unavailable, not installed, or is not the same version as Outlook. The
> Outlook e-mail editor will be used instead. An OLE registration error
> occurred. The program is not correctly installed. Run Setup again for the
> program."
>
> Now, the "funny" thing is that with New message, Word opens normally. I
> ran Detect and Repair a few times. I even uninstalled and reinstalled
> entire office (Enterprise) and applied all the service packs and hot
> fixes - still nothing.
>
> Would anyone care to speculate what might be the problem here?
>
> TIA
>
> lc

0
russval1 (2100)
5/31/2005 12:52:50 AM
Wow. Thanks a million. Let me try a few things and will get back to you
on the result.

Thanks a lot.

lc
0
lcdata (11)
5/31/2005 2:43:25 AM
No dice. I tried everything that was suggested and that was applicable
(i.e. version mismatch not applicable). Went even as far as to delete
Office folder and I let Detect & Repair kill all of my settings - and
still nothing.

Isn't really odd? Outlook is able to start Word with New message but not
Reply or Forward.

Would you have any other idea?

TIA.

lc
0
lcdata (11)
5/31/2005 12:05:26 PM
I just noticed something else: When I'd hit Reply, I'd get that error
message and Outlook with disable Word as my email editor but only for
HTML messages. The checkbox on "Use Word for Rich Text..." is still on.

Would this shed any light on the problem?

TIA

lc
0
lcdata (11)
5/31/2005 2:14:29 PM
More details... From Word or Excel, Send To Mail Recipient as Attachment
also doesn't work. It starts the message form but the attachment is not
there; "Send" (anyway) causes "The operation failed due to network or
other communications problems. Check your connections and try again"
error. However, doing the same from Outlook (manually attaching these
documents) works just fine (all in the same Outlook session).

Really weird. Seems like something's missing from MAPI extensions for
Office (if there is such a thing).

Anyone?

TIA

lc
0
lcdata (11)
5/31/2005 4:02:43 PM
I warned you, this is a problem that is so pervasive and ongoing that you
most likely would find no solution. However, when you said you "tried
everything," what did you mean?
Simply removing folders does nothing. It would only make matters worse. This
is a version conflict issue. Are you telling me that on this hard drive you
have never had anything but Office 2003 installed?
--

> More details... From Word or Excel, Send To Mail Recipient as Attachment
> also doesn't work. It starts the message form but the attachment is not
> there; "Send" (anyway) causes "The operation failed due to network or
> other communications problems. Check your connections and try again"
> error. However, doing the same from Outlook (manually attaching these
> documents) works just fine (all in the same Outlook session).
>
> Really weird. Seems like something's missing from MAPI extensions for
> Office (if there is such a thing).
>
> Anyone?
>
> TIA
>
> lc

0
russval1 (2100)
5/31/2005 10:18:24 PM
I love talking with myself :) but this time I'm not getting anywhere
with the other me :):)

Any help would be highly appreciated.

TIA.

lc
0
lcdata (11)
6/1/2005 11:23:35 AM
Then read the replies to your post.
--

> I love talking with myself :) but this time I'm not getting anywhere with
> the other me :):)
>
> Any help would be highly appreciated.
>
> TIA.
>
> lc

0
russval1 (2100)
6/1/2005 11:33:18 AM
Russ Valentine [MVP-Outlook] wrote:
> Then read the replies to your post.

Sorry, didn't see your post on time.
0
lcdata (11)
6/1/2005 7:20:51 PM
Russ Valentine [MVP-Outlook] wrote:
> I warned you, this is a problem that is so pervasive and ongoing that you
> most likely would find no solution. However, when you said you "tried
> everything," what did you mean?

I meant everything you suggested and a "bit" more. That includes that
Cleanup utility you mentioned. I've done the whole thing twice. The
second time I wiped the directories clean.

> Simply removing folders does nothing. It would only make matters worse. This
> is a version conflict issue. Are you telling me that on this hard drive you
> have never had anything but Office 2003 installed?

I can't quite recall; I probably had Office XP long time ago but I've
been running 2003 for over a year for sure. Last thing I did (before I
started seeing this problem), come to think of it, is that I uninstalled
SQL 2005 beta and Framework 2 (also beta). If you believe this is a
version conflict, I would have to assume that SQL 2005 messed up one of
DLLs in System32 (since I wiped Office directories clean), which now
wouldn't be overwritten as it's "newer" than whatever comes with Office
2003. The trick would be to find which one. Any suggestions?

Thanks.

lc
0
lcdata (11)
6/1/2005 7:29:05 PM
No. I have no more recent information than what I've posted. As I said,
there seem to be more undocumented (and unsolved) causes for this problem
than solvable ones. I agree with you that your most recent software
installation is the likely culprit since Office 2003 worked fine until then,
but it's anyone's guess as to what setting or file actually caused the
problem.
--
> Russ Valentine [MVP-Outlook] wrote:
>> I warned you, this is a problem that is so pervasive and ongoing that you
>> most likely would find no solution. However, when you said you "tried
>> everything," what did you mean?
>
> I meant everything you suggested and a "bit" more. That includes that
> Cleanup utility you mentioned. I've done the whole thing twice. The second
> time I wiped the directories clean.
>
>> Simply removing folders does nothing. It would only make matters worse.
>> This is a version conflict issue. Are you telling me that on this hard
>> drive you have never had anything but Office 2003 installed?
>
> I can't quite recall; I probably had Office XP long time ago but I've been
> running 2003 for over a year for sure. Last thing I did (before I started
> seeing this problem), come to think of it, is that I uninstalled SQL 2005
> beta and Framework 2 (also beta). If you believe this is a version
> conflict, I would have to assume that SQL 2005 messed up one of DLLs in
> System32 (since I wiped Office directories clean), which now wouldn't be
> overwritten as it's "newer" than whatever comes with Office 2003. The
> trick would be to find which one. Any suggestions?
>
> Thanks.
>
> lc

0
russval1 (2100)
6/1/2005 9:57:18 PM
Cool. I get it. I figure I'll just compare what I have with what's on a
"good" computer and hopefully, I should be able to find which DLL(s)
is/are the perpetrator(s). I already started writing a small utility to
compare versions of files in two directories. I'll post it here once
it's done. I hope it's permitted to post attachments :)

Thanks for your time.

lc
0
lcdata (11)
6/2/2005 12:40:28 AM
Good. If you're lucky, you can come up with another solution to add to the
list.
--

> Cool. I get it. I figure I'll just compare what I have with what's on a
> "good" computer and hopefully, I should be able to find which DLL(s)
> is/are the perpetrator(s). I already started writing a small utility to
> compare versions of files in two directories. I'll post it here once it's
> done. I hope it's permitted to post attachments :)
>
> Thanks for your time.
>
> lc

0
russval1 (2100)
6/2/2005 3:27:17 AM
HA! and HA!!! again!!!

It seems that OLE32.DLL was no longer registered. Therefore:

	regsvr32 C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\OLE32.DLL

I sure hope this will help some other poor soul having this kind of problem.

lc
0
lcdata (11)
6/3/2005 1:55:59 AM
Are you saying registering it fixed your problem?
Do you know why it was not registered?
--

> HA! and HA!!! again!!!
>
> It seems that OLE32.DLL was no longer registered. Therefore:
>
> regsvr32 C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\OLE32.DLL
>
> I sure hope this will help some other poor soul having this kind of
> problem.
>
> lc

0
russval1 (2100)
6/3/2005 3:28:29 AM
Russ Valentine [MVP-Outlook] wrote:
> Are you saying registering it fixed your problem?
> Do you know why it was not registered?

Yes, it entirely fixed the problem but as for why did it get
unregistered, I really can't tell with certainty. I know that I
uninstalled SQL 2005 and Framework 2 but I seriously doubt those could
have anything to do with this issue. The only other possibility would be
completely unrelated (prior) problems with Navision; something was (so)
bad with importing its license file that I couldn't start the client any
longer and I had to kill it and reinstall it. I just think that
reinstall would've fixed anything that it might've messed up
uninstalling. I really can't tell.

All I know that it occurred to me that all applications (Outlook, Word,
Excel) worked flawlessly on their own but when they were to "talk" to
each other (tested only Word to Outlook and Excel to Outlook) I would've
seen problems. I guessed it must be OLE and ... ta-daaa. I only assume
that had I tried to embed Excel sheet in Word document I would've seen
the same problems again - just thought never crossed my mind that this
should be tested.

Anyway, I sure hope this experience of mind would/will help someone else.

Thanks for your time Russ.

lc
0
lcdata (11)
6/4/2005 2:52:42 AM
Fascinating. Another one to add to the list.
Thanks.
--
Russ Valentine
[MVP-Outlook]

lc wrote:
> Russ Valentine [MVP-Outlook] wrote:
>
>> Are you saying registering it fixed your problem?
>> Do you know why it was not registered?
>

> Yes, it entirely fixed the problem but as for why did it get
> unregistered, I really can't tell with certainty. I know that I
> uninstalled SQL 2005 and Framework 2 but I seriously doubt those could
> have anything to do with this issue. The only other possibility would be
> completely unrelated (prior) problems with Navision; something was (so)
> bad with importing its license file that I couldn't start the client any
> longer and I had to kill it and reinstall it. I just think that
> reinstall would've fixed anything that it might've messed up
> uninstalling. I really can't tell.
>
> All I know that it occurred to me that all applications (Outlook, Word,
> Excel) worked flawlessly on their own but when they were to "talk" to
> each other (tested only Word to Outlook and Excel to Outlook) I would've
> seen problems. I guessed it must be OLE and ... ta-daaa. I only assume
> that had I tried to embed Excel sheet in Word document I would've seen
> the same problems again - just thought never crossed my mind that this
> should be tested.
>
> Anyway, I sure hope this experience of mind would/will help someone else.
>
> Thanks for your time Russ.
>
> lc
0
russval1 (2100)
6/4/2005 3:59:03 AM
Not sure if you ever resolved the problem, but here are a couple things
to try to fix this:
----------------
CAUSE
This behavior occurs if the Ole32.dll file that is located in the
%Windir%\System32 folder is not registered correctly in the registry.

RESOLUTION
To resolve this problem, register the Ole32.dll file. To do this,
follow these steps: 1. Click Start, click Run, type the following
command in the Open box, and then click OK:
Regsvr32.exe %Windir%\System32\Ole32.dll
2. In the RegSvr32 dialog box, click OK.
-----------------

1. Interface not Registered in Outlook 2003.
2. Problem with current editor (word 2003)
3. "Microsoft Word is set to be your e-mail editor. However, Word is
unavailable, not installed, or is not the same version as Outlook. The
Outlook e-mail editor will be used instead. An OLE registration error
occurred. The program is not correctly installed. Run setup again for
the program."
SOLUTION:
Click Start, click Run,
type Msiexec.exe /fm GUID For Office 2003 Product
, and then press ENTER.

EXAMPLE cmd for MS Office Pro 2003

msiexec.exe /fm {90110409-6000-11D3-8CFE-0150048383C9}

-----------------

--
Dvally
Dvally's Profile: http://www.24help.info/member.php?userid=405

24help.info - IT Newsgroups @ http://www.24help.info

0
Dvally
9/9/2005 2:13:39 PM
I had the same error occur after installing SP2 for Microsoft Office
2003.  I ran a repair on office but it didn't work.  It turned out to
be a problem with the registration of the OLE32.dll file in the
registry.  I ran the command "regsvr32 C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\OLE32.DLL"
(w/o the quote mark) and restarted Outlook and it worked just fine.  If
you haven't yet installed SP2, I guess you should; just keep this
solution bookmarked in case you receive the same error after updating
the software.

Thank you to those who provided the solution to this problem.  I
reiterated & paraphrased your postings so that a user, performing a
Google Groups search for and identical problem, would find my post and
wouldn't have to search any further for the solution.  Credit to whom
credit is due!

MaxRoberts22

Just wanted to let you guys know that you were a HUGE help. I'd been
searching for an answer to this problem for awhile and I was stumped
until I stumbled onto your forum.

Regsvr32.exe %Windir%\System32\Ole32.dll

That was all it took.

Thanks!!!!!!

--
matthew
matthew's Profile: http://www.24help.info/member.php?userid=507
View this thread: http://www.24help.info/showthread.php?t=427279

24help.info - IT Newsgroups @ http://www.24help.info

0
matthew
10/12/2005 10:01:17 PM
I can't thank you people enough for all your hard work, it really took
a while to find someone with the solution!

Thanks a million!

0
c.kindle (1)
10/27/2005 3:52:27 PM
Wow! Just gotta say that you guys and this thread saved my life!

Three machines, all running XP/Pro SP2 fine for more than a year. N
problems until I ran OfficeUpdate to bring all three up to Office SP2.

All three machines instantly began the behaviour described her
(Outlook complaining that Word was the wrong version, yada, yada
yada).

Uninstalled, reinstalled, detected & repaired... Nothing.

All three appeard to be "killed" by the Office SP2 update.

Then, I read here the regsvr32 C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\OLE32.DLL trick, an
presto!!! It fixed all the machine.

Thank you, thank you, thank you!!!

I only wish I'd read this thread before wasting more than five hours

--
ByteTravele
ByteTraveler's Profile: http://www.24help.info/member.php?userid=59
View this thread: http://www.24help.info/showthread.php?t=42727

24help.info - IT Newsgroups @ http://www.24help.inf

0
ByteTraveler
11/15/2005 4:39:41 AM
This issue has been driving me nuts with Outlook (Office 2003) and the
reg fix didn't work for me. When I hit "new" when composing a new e-
mail, I get (the below; for which I have done all of the fixes). I
checked the version of the OLE32.dll file and it appears that this may
be the problem. The file properties show: 5.1.2600.2180 (xpsp_sp2
_rtm.040803-2158). I was formerly using OfficeXP but after a format,
installed Office 2003. So, the question is: How does one replace the XP
..dll with a 2003 OLE.dll? Haven't seen that issue here and would
appreciate a solution.

Thanx.

This error message may appear if:
You have Word configured as your e-mail editor and Word is no longer
present on the computer.
The form is corrupt.
Word has faulted.
You are running a version of Word that does not support e-mail editing.
This can also occur if Microsoft Office Outlook was started in Safe mode
(achieved by pressing and holding the CTRL key while starting Outlook).
To work around this problem:
Start Outlook in normal mode.
-Or-
Configure Outlook to use the Outlook editor as the e-mail editor.
1.	On the Outlook Tools menu, click Options.
2.	On the Mail Format tab, set Use Microsoft Office Word to edit e-
mail messages to unchecked and click OK.
-Or-
Reset Word (reboot may be needed or Detect and Repair should be run).
-Or-Reinstall Word-Or-Upgrade Word.

In article <ByteTraveler.1yiuha@24help.dot.info>, ByteTraveler.1yiuha@
24help.dot.info says...

> Wow! Just gotta say that you guys and this thread saved my life!
>
> Three machines, all running XP/Pro SP2 fine for more than a year. No
> problems until I ran OfficeUpdate to bring all three up to Office SP2.
>
> All three machines instantly began the behaviour described here
> (Outlook complaining that Word was the wrong version, yada, yada,
> yada).
>
> Uninstalled, reinstalled, detected & repaired... Nothing.
>
> All three appeard to be "killed" by the Office SP2 update.
>
> Then, I read here the regsvr32 C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\OLE32.DLL trick, and
> presto!!! It fixed all the machine.
>
> Thank you, thank you, thank you!!!
>
> I only wish I'd read this thread before wasting more than five hours!
>

> --
> ByteTraveler
> ByteTraveler's Profile: http://www.24help.info/member.php?userid=594
> View this thread: http://www.24help.info/showthread.php?t=427279
>
> 24help.info - IT Newsgroups @ http://www.24help.info

I just had the same problem pop up this week.  Lucky for me that I
found this thread.

Thanks!

Norman

0
norman881 (1)
11/23/2005 6:47:10 PM
We also had the same error message, but none of the above fixed it.
However, when we re-installed Outlook Express that fixed the problem.
(We had not wanted the users to accidently try to use OE.  The problem
did not show up until Office Word 2003 SP2).

0
drusemark (1)
12/14/2005 9:12:17 PM
Just want to post here that I have identical problem on my system.
Intially I thought it was the anti-virus or security level that block
the Word to be started since Word, when I start it myself, requires m
"ok" for 3rd party macroes.  But then, even I disabled the Anti-Viru
office add-on it still have the same problem.  Did you recently tak
any thing off from the "Run" or "Runonce" from the registry?  Let'
compare notes to see what could be in common...:)  Thanks...

Oooppppsss... I missed the new message that lc solved the problem wit
OLE32 registration... I did that yesterday too but won't help me...

Message sent by EdH from mombu the microsoft forum http://www.mombu.com/microsoft

EdH's Profile: http://www.mombu.com/microsoft/member.php?u=158
View this thread: http://www.mombu.com/microsoft/showthread.php?p=36713

0
users (4)
8/29/2006 6:52:47 PM
[...]

Outlook with Outlook Express ?

Configuring free/busy calendar in Exchange 2003
Does anyone know how to configure the free/busy in Exchange 2003 to publish more than 2 months of calendar free/busy information on the server? I can do it on the client Outlook but I want to change the default from 2 months to 6 months for all users. Free/busy information is used by people sending meeting requests to determine when you are available for meeting. Thanks. --John ...

Outlook Contacts 05-25-07

Outlook freezes up

Outlook & Entourage

Opening Outlook

Word vs. PowerPoint
I'm giving a lecture next month, only my third with a PowerPoint presentation -- and only the first that'll have an audience of more than about 10, so I'll be writing it out fully in advance. And with the new Windows 7 laptop (yay!), I can even take advantage of the dual- monitor thing and have the slide show on the projector and a working view on the computer. Does anyone know of arguments for or against using the Notes function in PowerPoint to contain my entire text, vs. simply writing it in a word processor the usual way and printing it out? (I am assuming that I c...

gridlines in outlook?

ActiveX spreadsheet control problem
Hi! Is it possible to assign cell in a spreadsheet control on a userform as multi line? I tried several times to copy multi line strings into a spreadsheet control but it was always converged into one line. appreciate your help! Eli Try with some text in cell A1 Range("A1").WrapText = True -- Jacob "אלי" wrote: > Hi! > > Is it possible to assign cell in a spreadsheet control on a userform as > multi line? > I tried several times to copy multi line strings into a spreadsheet control > but it was always converged int...

How can i insert multiple pictures in a word doc, simultaneously?
Hello! I need to put in multiple photos from a file in my reports, and i would like them to be sized to fit 6-10 per page. Is there any way to do that in one simple step? Thanks! It depends on your definition of simple. In order to control the layout of the images you need to insert them in a table of fixed cell width. The images will then adapt to the width of the cell. How many will fit of a page is determined by whether the images are portrait mode or landscape mode - or mixed modes. The following macro will insert a two column table at the cursor and proceed to en...

can't create rules in outlook

Adobe Flash and/or javascript problems in IE8
I am pretty sure that my "explorers" (I use many different computers with IE8) are reporting every bit of hangs that I am suffering on a daily basis. I am also sure that lots of people at Miscrosoft are looking at error reports and are fully aware of hangs (I can't be just me). For that reason I can't believe that as of today they (you) haven't reached a common solution for all of those problems. As I said they are far too common and not related to a specific site or sites. So please, raise a little bit your game and find a solution quick, I don't want t...

select name box freezes Outlook

outlook 2002

outlook and links in emails

multiple copies won't print is word 2002
I am running Word 2002, ( as part of works suite 6). All of a sudden it won't print multiple copies of a doc, only one. I have a brother hl-5040 with 136 mb memory. The computer is running win xp pro; sp3. Any ideas? Thanks As a first step, I would suggest that you make sure you have the latest printer driver available and then delete and reinstall the printer. -- Terry Farrell - MSWord MVP "Hal" <Hal@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:3B84BC29-BAB9-4187-AFD8-6F19FD9BECCE@microsoft.com... > I am running Word 2002, ( as part of work...

Outlook XP and attachments

Exchange 2010, Outlook 2003

Outlook 2007

Excel 2003 Page Breaks
I e-mailed a workbook to a collegue that contained 28 worksheets. On my PC, all the vertical page breaks were set so printing was done on one page for each sheet. On his machine the page break shifted to the left such that some columns were on a second page for each sheet. What can be done to preserve the verticle page break setting. This file will be sent daily and we would like to not need to adjust the page breaks. He probably has a different printer and a different printer driver. Not much you can do about that, except work in very safe distance from the margins. Maybe doing the fin...