Outlook 2002 cannot read 2003 attachment

I run Outlook 2002 and I received an Outlook 2003 message sent as an
attachment.

When I try to open the attachment, the error message is:

"Outlook cannot open this message.  A newer version, such as Outlook
2003 or later, is required to open this message."

0
jabailo (14)

Yes, that is a clear and correct error message.

The technical part behind is that Outlook 2003 uses UNICODE and Outlook 2002
and previous ANSI. Have them resend the item in a either the old format or
something like htm or txt.

--
Robert Sparnaaij [MVP-Outlook]
www.howto-outlook.com

Tips of the month:
-FREE tool; QuickMail. Create new Outlook items anywhere from within Windows
-Properly back-up and restore your Outlook data

-----
"John Bailo" <jabailo@texeme.com> wrote in message

I run Outlook 2002 and I received an Outlook 2003 message sent as an
attachment.

When I try to open the attachment, the error message is:

"Outlook cannot open this message.  A newer version, such as Outlook
2003 or later, is required to open this message."

0
Roady
2/27/2006 10:23:38 PM
There's no backward compatibility at all (?)

Are there any filters or free software that can read Outlook 2003 format
emails?

Roady [MVP] wrote:
> Yes, that is a clear and correct error message.
>
> The technical part behind is that Outlook 2003 uses UNICODE and Outlook 2002
> and previous ANSI. Have them resend the item in a either the old format or
> something like htm or txt.

0
jabailo (14)
2/27/2006 10:46:06 PM
There is; Outlook 2003 can read and create ANSI files. What you are talking
about is FORWARD compatibility.

Other than the trial edition of Outlook 2003 there are no free tools.

--

Roady [MVP] wrote:
> Yes, that is a clear and correct error message.
>
> The technical part behind is that Outlook 2003 uses UNICODE and Outlook
> 2002
> and previous ANSI. Have them resend the item in a either the old format or
> something like htm or txt.

0
Roady
2/27/2006 11:34:47 PM
How about people with Outlook Express?

Can Outlook Express read Outlook 2003 mail messages?

Roady [MVP] wrote:
> There is; Outlook 2003 can read and create ANSI files. What you are talking
> about is FORWARD compatibility.
>
> Other than the trial edition of Outlook 2003 there are no free tools.

0
jabailo (14)
2/28/2006 12:01:56 AM
John Bailo <jabailo@texeme.com> wrote:

> How about people with Outlook Express?
>
> Can Outlook Express read Outlook 2003 mail messages?

With HTML format and some fonts, probably.  I believe Outlook Express V5 and
V6 support Unicode with some of the fonts, like Arial and Times New Roman.
--
Brian Tillman

0
tillman1952 (16052)
2/28/2006 12:44:10 AM
Nope -- it just tries to launch Outlook(!)

Brian Tillman wrote:
> John Bailo <jabailo@texeme.com> wrote:
>
>> How about people with Outlook Express?
>>
>> Can Outlook Express read Outlook 2003 mail messages?
>

> With HTML format and some fonts, probably.  I believe Outlook Express V5
> and V6 support Unicode with some of the fonts, like Arial and Times New
> Roman.
0
jabailo (14)
2/28/2006 12:52:51 AM
Does anyone know a good windows tnef decoder?

John Bailo wrote:

> I run Outlook 2002 and I received an Outlook 2003 message sent as an
> attachment.
>
> When I try to open the attachment, the error message is:
>
> "Outlook cannot open this message.  A newer version, such as Outlook
> 2003 or later, is required to open this message."

0
jabailo (14)
2/28/2006 12:53:12 AM
John Bailo <jabailo@texeme.com> wrote:

> Nope -- it just tries to launch Outlook(!)

Your question was "can Outlook Express read Outlook messages", not "can
Outlook Express open .msg files".  Those are different questions with,
naturally, different answers.
--
Brian Tillman

0
tillman1952 (16052)
2/28/2006 1:12:59 AM
John Bailo <jabailo@texeme.com> wrote:

> Does anyone know a good windows tnef decoder?

Eudora purports to be able to receive Rich Text messages.
--
Brian Tillman
0
Brian Tillman wrote:
> John Bailo <jabailo@texeme.com> wrote:
>
>> Nope -- it just tries to launch Outlook(!)
>
> Your question was "can Outlook Express read Outlook messages", not "can
> Outlook Express open .msg files".  Those are different questions with,
> naturally, different answers.

Can Outlook Express read Outlook 2003 mailItems which are sent as
attachments (without having Outlook installed) ?

0
jabailo (14)
2/28/2006 5:41:31 AM
No, only Outlook 2003 can open msg-files in UNICODE.

--

> Brian Tillman wrote:
>> John Bailo <jabailo@texeme.com> wrote:
>>
>>> Nope -- it just tries to launch Outlook(!)
>>
>> Your question was "can Outlook Express read Outlook messages", not "can
>> Outlook Express open .msg files".  Those are different questions with,
>> naturally, different answers.
>
> Can Outlook Express read Outlook 2003 mailItems which are sent as
> attachments (without having Outlook installed) ?

0
Roady

Outlook with Outlook Express ?

Excel 2002: how to incr font size in option button text
In the Properties of the button, select the right pane of the Font line, dropdown the ... and select the font and size required. jdm1051 Wrote: > -- Bryan Hessey ------------------------------------------------------------------------ Bryan Hessey's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=21059 View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=395719 If it's an option button from the Forms toolbar, you can't change the font size. If it's an option button from the Control toolbox: On the Control toolbox, click ...

Configuring free/busy calendar in Exchange 2003
Does anyone know how to configure the free/busy in Exchange 2003 to publish more than 2 months of calendar free/busy information on the server? I can do it on the client Outlook but I want to change the default from 2 months to 6 months for all users. Free/busy information is used by people sending meeting requests to determine when you are available for meeting. Thanks. --John ...

Outlook Contacts 05-25-07

Outlook freezes up

Outlook & Entourage

Opening Outlook

attachment formats
Occassionaly I receive emails that contain file attachments and the file name of the attachment appears in the body of the message in the format of <<filename.doc>>. The attachment also appears at the bottom of the message as an icon. How is the format of enclosing the filename within these tags accomplished? thanks, Rick ...

gridlines in outlook?

can't create rules in outlook

select name box freezes Outlook

outlook 2002

outlook and links in emails

Outlook XP and attachments

multiple copies won't print is word 2002
I am running Word 2002, ( as part of works suite 6). All of a sudden it won't print multiple copies of a doc, only one. I have a brother hl-5040 with 136 mb memory. The computer is running win xp pro; sp3. Any ideas? Thanks As a first step, I would suggest that you make sure you have the latest printer driver available and then delete and reinstall the printer. -- Terry Farrell - MSWord MVP "Hal" <Hal@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:3B84BC29-BAB9-4187-AFD8-6F19FD9BECCE@microsoft.com... > I am running Word 2002, ( as part of work...

Email body arrives as attachment
Hi We are receiving a number of emails which are mostly replies where the email body is added as an attachment. I can only think this is being caused by antivirus systems on other peoples email servers, a fact that I am trying to check, however would welcome any suggestions. This is a new problem that has only kicked in today. The server did run out of disk space this morning but that has been resolved (the backup failed and did not remove the logs). thanks in advance ...

Exchange 2010, Outlook 2003

Outlook 2007

Excel 2003 Page Breaks
I e-mailed a workbook to a collegue that contained 28 worksheets. On my PC, all the vertical page breaks were set so printing was done on one page for each sheet. On his machine the page break shifted to the left such that some columns were on a second page for each sheet. What can be done to preserve the verticle page break setting. This file will be sent daily and we would like to not need to adjust the page breaks. He probably has a different printer and a different printer driver. Not much you can do about that, except work in very safe distance from the margins. Maybe doing the fin...