Outlook 2000 will not save new contacts

For the past two weeks I have been trying to figure out why I cannot get
Outlook 2000 to save new contact information. This started as an
intermittent problem that now has progressed to permanent status. When I try
to save any new contact information I get the " Outlook has encountered a
problem & needs to close. We are sorry for the inconvenience." message
dialog box.  I send the error message and the program closes. I am now at
the place where Outlook is unusable for any new contact information. I have
run the repair outlook routine without success. I suspect the .pst file but
do not know how to repair it. Anyone know what is going on here?

George



0
gleese (10)
7/11/2003 6:26:18 PM
outlook 87535 articles. 10 followers. Follow

10 Replies
407 Views

Similar Articles

[PageSpeed] 17

How big is your .PST file?

-- 
Jocelyn Fiorello
MVP - Outlook

*** Replies sent to my e-mail address will probably not be answered -- 
please reply only to the newsgroup to preserve the message thread. ***


"GWL" <gleese@alltel.net> wrote in message
news:%23QFl2n9RDHA.3192@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl...
> For the past two weeks I have been trying to figure out why I cannot
get
> Outlook 2000 to save new contact information. This started as an
> intermittent problem that now has progressed to permanent status. When
I try
> to save any new contact information I get the " Outlook has
encountered a
> problem & needs to close. We are sorry for the inconvenience." message
> dialog box.  I send the error message and the program closes. I am now
at
> the place where Outlook is unusable for any new contact information. I
have
> run the repair outlook routine without success. I suspect the .pst
file but
> do not know how to repair it. Anyone know what is going on here?
>
> George
>
>
>


0
7/11/2003 7:49:15 PM
My pst file is 4384K.

George

"Jocelyn Fiorello [MVP - Outlook]" <jfiorelloNOSPAM@mvps.org> wrote in
message news:u$0cIW%23RDHA.2236@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl...
> How big is your .PST file?
>
> -- 
> Jocelyn Fiorello
> MVP - Outlook
>
> *** Replies sent to my e-mail address will probably not be answered -- 
> please reply only to the newsgroup to preserve the message thread. ***
>
>
> "GWL" <gleese@alltel.net> wrote in message
> news:%23QFl2n9RDHA.3192@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl...
> > For the past two weeks I have been trying to figure out why I cannot
> get
> > Outlook 2000 to save new contact information. This started as an
> > intermittent problem that now has progressed to permanent status. When
> I try
> > to save any new contact information I get the " Outlook has
> encountered a
> > problem & needs to close. We are sorry for the inconvenience." message
> > dialog box.  I send the error message and the program closes. I am now
> at
> > the place where Outlook is unusable for any new contact information. I
> have
> > run the repair outlook routine without success. I suspect the .pst
> file but
> > do not know how to repair it. Anyone know what is going on here?
> >
> > George
> >
> >
> >
>
>


0
gleese (10)
7/11/2003 8:16:45 PM
I have compacted and reduced the pst file to no avail. I have found at least
one record that will not delete, open or modify in any way. Any activity
with this record will generate the" Outlook has encountered a problem &
needs to close" error. If this record is the problem, I do not seem to have
a way to delete it from Outlook. I guess it is possible that it is tied to
another record (cross linked) somehow, but a solution escapes me.

George

"Jocelyn Fiorello [MVP - Outlook]" <jfiorelloNOSPAM@mvps.org> wrote in
message news:u$0cIW%23RDHA.2236@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl...
> How big is your .PST file?
>
> -- 
> Jocelyn Fiorello
> MVP - Outlook
>
> *** Replies sent to my e-mail address will probably not be answered -- 
> please reply only to the newsgroup to preserve the message thread. ***
>
>
> "GWL" <gleese@alltel.net> wrote in message
> news:%23QFl2n9RDHA.3192@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl...
> > For the past two weeks I have been trying to figure out why I cannot
> get
> > Outlook 2000 to save new contact information. This started as an
> > intermittent problem that now has progressed to permanent status. When
> I try
> > to save any new contact information I get the " Outlook has
> encountered a
> > problem & needs to close. We are sorry for the inconvenience." message
> > dialog box.  I send the error message and the program closes. I am now
> at
> > the place where Outlook is unusable for any new contact information. I
> have
> > run the repair outlook routine without success. I suspect the .pst
> file but
> > do not know how to repair it. Anyone know what is going on here?
> >
> > George
> >
> >
> >
>
>


0
gleese (10)
7/11/2003 9:01:11 PM
Have you tried running the Inbox Repair Tool (scanpst.exe) against your
..PST file to see if it finds any errors?  Note that this is not the same
thing as running Detect and Repair...

-- 
Jocelyn Fiorello
MVP - Outlook

*** Replies sent to my e-mail address will probably not be answered -- 
please reply only to the newsgroup to preserve the message thread. ***


"GWL" <gleese@alltel.net> wrote in message
news:eGm0U%23%23RDHA.1552@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl...
> I have compacted and reduced the pst file to no avail. I have found at
least
> one record that will not delete, open or modify in any way. Any
activity
> with this record will generate the" Outlook has encountered a problem
&
> needs to close" error. If this record is the problem, I do not seem to
have
> a way to delete it from Outlook. I guess it is possible that it is
tied to
> another record (cross linked) somehow, but a solution escapes me.
>
> George
>
> "Jocelyn Fiorello [MVP - Outlook]" <jfiorelloNOSPAM@mvps.org> wrote in
> message news:u$0cIW%23RDHA.2236@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl...
> > How big is your .PST file?
> >
> > -- 
> > Jocelyn Fiorello
> > MVP - Outlook
> >
> > *** Replies sent to my e-mail address will probably not be
answered -- 
> > please reply only to the newsgroup to preserve the message thread.
***
> >
> >
> > "GWL" <gleese@alltel.net> wrote in message
> > news:%23QFl2n9RDHA.3192@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl...
> > > For the past two weeks I have been trying to figure out why I
cannot
> > get
> > > Outlook 2000 to save new contact information. This started as an
> > > intermittent problem that now has progressed to permanent status.
When
> > I try
> > > to save any new contact information I get the " Outlook has
> > encountered a
> > > problem & needs to close. We are sorry for the inconvenience."
message
> > > dialog box.  I send the error message and the program closes. I am
now
> > at
> > > the place where Outlook is unusable for any new contact
information. I
> > have
> > > run the repair outlook routine without success. I suspect the .pst
> > file but
> > > do not know how to repair it. Anyone know what is going on here?
> > >
> > > George
> > >
> > >
> > >
> >
> >
>
>


0
7/12/2003 12:06:14 AM
I did not know about scanpst and I just ran it. It showed errors and
repaired them, but the problem remains. If I start a new contact and save
with name only, the contact saves. If I go on to add a Phone number or
address (each independently) I get the error message and outlook closes. I
ran scanpst a second time and it revealed no additional errors.

George Leese

"Jocelyn Fiorello [MVP - Outlook]" <jfiorelloNOSPAM@mvps.org> wrote in
message news:O$YEqlASDHA.2852@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl...
> Have you tried running the Inbox Repair Tool (scanpst.exe) against your
> .PST file to see if it finds any errors?  Note that this is not the same
> thing as running Detect and Repair...
>
> -- 
> Jocelyn Fiorello
> MVP - Outlook
>
> *** Replies sent to my e-mail address will probably not be answered -- 
> please reply only to the newsgroup to preserve the message thread. ***
>
>
> "GWL" <gleese@alltel.net> wrote in message
> news:eGm0U%23%23RDHA.1552@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl...
> > I have compacted and reduced the pst file to no avail. I have found at
> least
> > one record that will not delete, open or modify in any way. Any
> activity
> > with this record will generate the" Outlook has encountered a problem
> &
> > needs to close" error. If this record is the problem, I do not seem to
> have
> > a way to delete it from Outlook. I guess it is possible that it is
> tied to
> > another record (cross linked) somehow, but a solution escapes me.
> >
> > George
> >
> > "Jocelyn Fiorello [MVP - Outlook]" <jfiorelloNOSPAM@mvps.org> wrote in
> > message news:u$0cIW%23RDHA.2236@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl...
> > > How big is your .PST file?
> > >
> > > -- 
> > > Jocelyn Fiorello
> > > MVP - Outlook
> > >
> > > *** Replies sent to my e-mail address will probably not be
> answered -- 
> > > please reply only to the newsgroup to preserve the message thread.
> ***
> > >
> > >
> > > "GWL" <gleese@alltel.net> wrote in message
> > > news:%23QFl2n9RDHA.3192@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl...
> > > > For the past two weeks I have been trying to figure out why I
> cannot
> > > get
> > > > Outlook 2000 to save new contact information. This started as an
> > > > intermittent problem that now has progressed to permanent status.
> When
> > > I try
> > > > to save any new contact information I get the " Outlook has
> > > encountered a
> > > > problem & needs to close. We are sorry for the inconvenience."
> message
> > > > dialog box.  I send the error message and the program closes. I am
> now
> > > at
> > > > the place where Outlook is unusable for any new contact
> information. I
> > > have
> > > > run the repair outlook routine without success. I suspect the .pst
> > > file but
> > > > do not know how to repair it. Anyone know what is going on here?
> > > >
> > > > George
> > > >
> > > >
> > > >
> > >
> > >
> >
> >
>
>


0
gleese (10)
7/12/2003 1:14:40 AM
See if any of the additional tips on the following page are helpful:

http://www.slipstick.com/problems/scanpst.htm

-- 
Jocelyn Fiorello
MVP - Outlook

*** Replies sent to my e-mail address will probably not be answered -- 
please reply only to the newsgroup to preserve the message thread. ***


"GWL" <gleese@alltel.net> wrote in message
news:Ooqs7LBSDHA.560@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl...
> I did not know about scanpst and I just ran it. It showed errors and
> repaired them, but the problem remains. If I start a new contact and
save
> with name only, the contact saves. If I go on to add a Phone number or
> address (each independently) I get the error message and outlook
closes. I
> ran scanpst a second time and it revealed no additional errors.
>
> George Leese
>
> "Jocelyn Fiorello [MVP - Outlook]" <jfiorelloNOSPAM@mvps.org> wrote in
> message news:O$YEqlASDHA.2852@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl...
> > Have you tried running the Inbox Repair Tool (scanpst.exe) against
your
> > .PST file to see if it finds any errors?  Note that this is not the
same
> > thing as running Detect and Repair...
> >
> > -- 
> > Jocelyn Fiorello
> > MVP - Outlook
> >
> > *** Replies sent to my e-mail address will probably not be
answered -- 
> > please reply only to the newsgroup to preserve the message thread.
***
> >
> >
> > "GWL" <gleese@alltel.net> wrote in message
> > news:eGm0U%23%23RDHA.1552@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl...
> > > I have compacted and reduced the pst file to no avail. I have
found at
> > least
> > > one record that will not delete, open or modify in any way. Any
> > activity
> > > with this record will generate the" Outlook has encountered a
problem
> > &
> > > needs to close" error. If this record is the problem, I do not
seem to
> > have
> > > a way to delete it from Outlook. I guess it is possible that it is
> > tied to
> > > another record (cross linked) somehow, but a solution escapes me.
> > >
> > > George
> > >
> > > "Jocelyn Fiorello [MVP - Outlook]" <jfiorelloNOSPAM@mvps.org>
wrote in
> > > message news:u$0cIW%23RDHA.2236@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl...
> > > > How big is your .PST file?
> > > >
> > > > -- 
> > > > Jocelyn Fiorello
> > > > MVP - Outlook
> > > >
> > > > *** Replies sent to my e-mail address will probably not be
> > answered -- 
> > > > please reply only to the newsgroup to preserve the message
thread.
> > ***
> > > >
> > > >
> > > > "GWL" <gleese@alltel.net> wrote in message
> > > > news:%23QFl2n9RDHA.3192@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl...
> > > > > For the past two weeks I have been trying to figure out why I
> > cannot
> > > > get
> > > > > Outlook 2000 to save new contact information. This started as
an
> > > > > intermittent problem that now has progressed to permanent
status.
> > When
> > > > I try
> > > > > to save any new contact information I get the " Outlook has
> > > > encountered a
> > > > > problem & needs to close. We are sorry for the inconvenience."
> > message
> > > > > dialog box.  I send the error message and the program closes.
I am
> > now
> > > > at
> > > > > the place where Outlook is unusable for any new contact
> > information. I
> > > > have
> > > > > run the repair outlook routine without success. I suspect the
..pst
> > > > file but
> > > > > do not know how to repair it. Anyone know what is going on
here?
> > > > >
> > > > > George
> > > > >
> > > > >
> > > > >
> > > >
> > > >
> > >
> > >
> >
> >
>
>


0
7/12/2003 1:40:49 AM
Jocelyn, I have tried everything that you have suggested except the program
that must be purchased. Still no go. I did do some more trouble shooting
this morning and may have found a clue for someone who understands Outlook
better than me. I no longer suspect the PST file because I moved the old
files and forced Outlook to create a new  file with no data. Even this new
file cannot save with the same exact error message. Do you think I should
try an uninstall and reinstall instead of the repair that did not work.
Maybe some registry key is corrupted?

George Leese


"Jocelyn Fiorello [MVP - Outlook]" <jfiorelloNOSPAM@mvps.org> wrote in
message news:eaNmgaBSDHA.2148@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl...
> See if any of the additional tips on the following page are helpful:
>
> http://www.slipstick.com/problems/scanpst.htm
>
> -- 
> Jocelyn Fiorello
> MVP - Outlook
>
> *** Replies sent to my e-mail address will probably not be answered -- 
> please reply only to the newsgroup to preserve the message thread. ***
>
>
> "GWL" <gleese@alltel.net> wrote in message
> news:Ooqs7LBSDHA.560@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl...
> > I did not know about scanpst and I just ran it. It showed errors and
> > repaired them, but the problem remains. If I start a new contact and
> save
> > with name only, the contact saves. If I go on to add a Phone number or
> > address (each independently) I get the error message and outlook
> closes. I
> > ran scanpst a second time and it revealed no additional errors.
> >
> > George Leese
> >
> > "Jocelyn Fiorello [MVP - Outlook]" <jfiorelloNOSPAM@mvps.org> wrote in
> > message news:O$YEqlASDHA.2852@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl...
> > > Have you tried running the Inbox Repair Tool (scanpst.exe) against
> your
> > > .PST file to see if it finds any errors?  Note that this is not the
> same
> > > thing as running Detect and Repair...
> > >
> > > -- 
> > > Jocelyn Fiorello
> > > MVP - Outlook
> > >
> > > *** Replies sent to my e-mail address will probably not be
> answered -- 
> > > please reply only to the newsgroup to preserve the message thread.
> ***
> > >
> > >
> > > "GWL" <gleese@alltel.net> wrote in message
> > > news:eGm0U%23%23RDHA.1552@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl...
> > > > I have compacted and reduced the pst file to no avail. I have
> found at
> > > least
> > > > one record that will not delete, open or modify in any way. Any
> > > activity
> > > > with this record will generate the" Outlook has encountered a
> problem
> > > &
> > > > needs to close" error. If this record is the problem, I do not
> seem to
> > > have
> > > > a way to delete it from Outlook. I guess it is possible that it is
> > > tied to
> > > > another record (cross linked) somehow, but a solution escapes me.
> > > >
> > > > George
> > > >
> > > > "Jocelyn Fiorello [MVP - Outlook]" <jfiorelloNOSPAM@mvps.org>
> wrote in
> > > > message news:u$0cIW%23RDHA.2236@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl...
> > > > > How big is your .PST file?
> > > > >
> > > > > -- 
> > > > > Jocelyn Fiorello
> > > > > MVP - Outlook
> > > > >
> > > > > *** Replies sent to my e-mail address will probably not be
> > > answered -- 
> > > > > please reply only to the newsgroup to preserve the message
> thread.
> > > ***
> > > > >
> > > > >
> > > > > "GWL" <gleese@alltel.net> wrote in message
> > > > > news:%23QFl2n9RDHA.3192@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl...
> > > > > > For the past two weeks I have been trying to figure out why I
> > > cannot
> > > > > get
> > > > > > Outlook 2000 to save new contact information. This started as
> an
> > > > > > intermittent problem that now has progressed to permanent
> status.
> > > When
> > > > > I try
> > > > > > to save any new contact information I get the " Outlook has
> > > > > encountered a
> > > > > > problem & needs to close. We are sorry for the inconvenience."
> > > message
> > > > > > dialog box.  I send the error message and the program closes.
> I am
> > > now
> > > > > at
> > > > > > the place where Outlook is unusable for any new contact
> > > information. I
> > > > > have
> > > > > > run the repair outlook routine without success. I suspect the
> .pst
> > > > > file but
> > > > > > do not know how to repair it. Anyone know what is going on
> here?
> > > > > >
> > > > > > George
> > > > > >
> > > > > >
> > > > > >
> > > > >
> > > > >
> > > >
> > > >
> > >
> > >
> >
> >
>
>


0
gleese (10)
7/12/2003 1:02:13 PM
You could try it, but unfortunately reinstalling Outlook usually doesn't
change the files that seem to cause the most problems.  Does the error
dialog you get when Outlook crashes give you any details to look at?  If
so, what are they?  You might try searching the Microsoft Knowledge Base
for error messages such as the one you're getting...there may be some
other files you can try deleting.  Also, you could try deleting and
recreating your mail profile(s), which sometimes helps cure various
ills.

-- 
Jocelyn Fiorello
MVP - Outlook

*** Replies sent to my e-mail address will probably not be answered -- 
please reply only to the newsgroup to preserve the message thread. ***


"GWL" <gleese@alltel.net> wrote in message
news:uRU0ngHSDHA.2432@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl...
> Jocelyn, I have tried everything that you have suggested except the
program
> that must be purchased. Still no go. I did do some more trouble
shooting
> this morning and may have found a clue for someone who understands
Outlook
> better than me. I no longer suspect the PST file because I moved the
old
> files and forced Outlook to create a new  file with no data. Even this
new
> file cannot save with the same exact error message. Do you think I
should
> try an uninstall and reinstall instead of the repair that did not
work.
> Maybe some registry key is corrupted?
>
> George Leese
>
>
> "Jocelyn Fiorello [MVP - Outlook]" <jfiorelloNOSPAM@mvps.org> wrote in
> message news:eaNmgaBSDHA.2148@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl...
> > See if any of the additional tips on the following page are helpful:
> >
> > http://www.slipstick.com/problems/scanpst.htm
> >
> > -- 
> > Jocelyn Fiorello
> > MVP - Outlook
> >
> > *** Replies sent to my e-mail address will probably not be
answered -- 
> > please reply only to the newsgroup to preserve the message thread.
***
> >
> >
> > "GWL" <gleese@alltel.net> wrote in message
> > news:Ooqs7LBSDHA.560@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl...
> > > I did not know about scanpst and I just ran it. It showed errors
and
> > > repaired them, but the problem remains. If I start a new contact
and
> > save
> > > with name only, the contact saves. If I go on to add a Phone
number or
> > > address (each independently) I get the error message and outlook
> > closes. I
> > > ran scanpst a second time and it revealed no additional errors.
> > >
> > > George Leese
> > >
> > > "Jocelyn Fiorello [MVP - Outlook]" <jfiorelloNOSPAM@mvps.org>
wrote in
> > > message news:O$YEqlASDHA.2852@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl...
> > > > Have you tried running the Inbox Repair Tool (scanpst.exe)
against
> > your
> > > > .PST file to see if it finds any errors?  Note that this is not
the
> > same
> > > > thing as running Detect and Repair...
> > > >
> > > > -- 
> > > > Jocelyn Fiorello
> > > > MVP - Outlook
> > > >
> > > > *** Replies sent to my e-mail address will probably not be
> > answered -- 
> > > > please reply only to the newsgroup to preserve the message
thread.
> > ***
> > > >
> > > >
> > > > "GWL" <gleese@alltel.net> wrote in message
> > > > news:eGm0U%23%23RDHA.1552@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl...
> > > > > I have compacted and reduced the pst file to no avail. I have
> > found at
> > > > least
> > > > > one record that will not delete, open or modify in any way.
Any
> > > > activity
> > > > > with this record will generate the" Outlook has encountered a
> > problem
> > > > &
> > > > > needs to close" error. If this record is the problem, I do not
> > seem to
> > > > have
> > > > > a way to delete it from Outlook. I guess it is possible that
it is
> > > > tied to
> > > > > another record (cross linked) somehow, but a solution escapes
me.
> > > > >
> > > > > George
> > > > >
> > > > > "Jocelyn Fiorello [MVP - Outlook]" <jfiorelloNOSPAM@mvps.org>
> > wrote in
> > > > > message news:u$0cIW%23RDHA.2236@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl...
> > > > > > How big is your .PST file?
> > > > > >
> > > > > > -- 
> > > > > > Jocelyn Fiorello
> > > > > > MVP - Outlook
> > > > > >
> > > > > > *** Replies sent to my e-mail address will probably not be
> > > > answered -- 
> > > > > > please reply only to the newsgroup to preserve the message
> > thread.
> > > > ***
> > > > > >
> > > > > >
> > > > > > "GWL" <gleese@alltel.net> wrote in message
> > > > > > news:%23QFl2n9RDHA.3192@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl...
> > > > > > > For the past two weeks I have been trying to figure out
why I
> > > > cannot
> > > > > > get
> > > > > > > Outlook 2000 to save new contact information. This started
as
> > an
> > > > > > > intermittent problem that now has progressed to permanent
> > status.
> > > > When
> > > > > > I try
> > > > > > > to save any new contact information I get the " Outlook
has
> > > > > > encountered a
> > > > > > > problem & needs to close. We are sorry for the
inconvenience."
> > > > message
> > > > > > > dialog box.  I send the error message and the program
closes.
> > I am
> > > > now
> > > > > > at
> > > > > > > the place where Outlook is unusable for any new contact
> > > > information. I
> > > > > > have
> > > > > > > run the repair outlook routine without success. I suspect
the
> > .pst
> > > > > > file but
> > > > > > > do not know how to repair it. Anyone know what is going on
> > here?
> > > > > > >
> > > > > > > George
> > > > > > >
> > > > > > >
> > > > > > >
> > > > > >
> > > > > >
> > > > >
> > > > >
> > > >
> > > >
> > >
> > >
> >
> >
>
>


0
7/12/2003 5:52:28 PM
Well I went ahead and completely uninstalled Outlook, did a cold boot and
reinstalled after being sure that all the outlook folders scattered around
the hard disk were empty. Opened the new Outlook and the same problem exists
even with a newly created empty PST. The error message is the cryptic
"Outlook has encountered a problem and needs to close. Sorry ect.". No other
info in the error message. I did try to read the error report that is
generated to Microsoft, but it appeared to be just long listing of memory
addresses. The only clue that I have discovered is that a new entry will
save properly only if I do not try to include an address. Every attempt to
access the address dialog box will result in the error when Save and Close
is clicked or if any form of a save is attempted. So it appears to be
something in the address system that is causing the error.

George Leese




"Jocelyn Fiorello [MVP - Outlook]" <jfiorelloNOSPAM@mvps.org> wrote in
message news:uQ4kd5JSDHA.1720@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl...
> You could try it, but unfortunately reinstalling Outlook usually doesn't
> change the files that seem to cause the most problems.  Does the error
> dialog you get when Outlook crashes give you any details to look at?  If
> so, what are they?  You might try searching the Microsoft Knowledge Base
> for error messages such as the one you're getting...there may be some
> other files you can try deleting.  Also, you could try deleting and
> recreating your mail profile(s), which sometimes helps cure various
> ills.
>
> -- 
> Jocelyn Fiorello
> MVP - Outlook
>
> *** Replies sent to my e-mail address will probably not be answered -- 
> please reply only to the newsgroup to preserve the message thread. ***
>
>
> "GWL" <gleese@alltel.net> wrote in message
> news:uRU0ngHSDHA.2432@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl...
> > Jocelyn, I have tried everything that you have suggested except the
> program
> > that must be purchased. Still no go. I did do some more trouble
> shooting
> > this morning and may have found a clue for someone who understands
> Outlook
> > better than me. I no longer suspect the PST file because I moved the
> old
> > files and forced Outlook to create a new  file with no data. Even this
> new
> > file cannot save with the same exact error message. Do you think I
> should
> > try an uninstall and reinstall instead of the repair that did not
> work.
> > Maybe some registry key is corrupted?
> >
> > George Leese
> >
> >
> > "Jocelyn Fiorello [MVP - Outlook]" <jfiorelloNOSPAM@mvps.org> wrote in
> > message news:eaNmgaBSDHA.2148@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl...
> > > See if any of the additional tips on the following page are helpful:
> > >
> > > http://www.slipstick.com/problems/scanpst.htm
> > >
> > > -- 
> > > Jocelyn Fiorello
> > > MVP - Outlook
> > >
> > > *** Replies sent to my e-mail address will probably not be
> answered -- 
> > > please reply only to the newsgroup to preserve the message thread.
> ***
> > >
> > >
> > > "GWL" <gleese@alltel.net> wrote in message
> > > news:Ooqs7LBSDHA.560@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl...
> > > > I did not know about scanpst and I just ran it. It showed errors
> and
> > > > repaired them, but the problem remains. If I start a new contact
> and
> > > save
> > > > with name only, the contact saves. If I go on to add a Phone
> number or
> > > > address (each independently) I get the error message and outlook
> > > closes. I
> > > > ran scanpst a second time and it revealed no additional errors.
> > > >
> > > > George Leese
> > > >
> > > > "Jocelyn Fiorello [MVP - Outlook]" <jfiorelloNOSPAM@mvps.org>
> wrote in
> > > > message news:O$YEqlASDHA.2852@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl...
> > > > > Have you tried running the Inbox Repair Tool (scanpst.exe)
> against
> > > your
> > > > > .PST file to see if it finds any errors?  Note that this is not
> the
> > > same
> > > > > thing as running Detect and Repair...
> > > > >
> > > > > -- 
> > > > > Jocelyn Fiorello
> > > > > MVP - Outlook
> > > > >
> > > > > *** Replies sent to my e-mail address will probably not be
> > > answered -- 
> > > > > please reply only to the newsgroup to preserve the message
> thread.
> > > ***
> > > > >
> > > > >
> > > > > "GWL" <gleese@alltel.net> wrote in message
> > > > > news:eGm0U%23%23RDHA.1552@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl...
> > > > > > I have compacted and reduced the pst file to no avail. I have
> > > found at
> > > > > least
> > > > > > one record that will not delete, open or modify in any way.
> Any
> > > > > activity
> > > > > > with this record will generate the" Outlook has encountered a
> > > problem
> > > > > &
> > > > > > needs to close" error. If this record is the problem, I do not
> > > seem to
> > > > > have
> > > > > > a way to delete it from Outlook. I guess it is possible that
> it is
> > > > > tied to
> > > > > > another record (cross linked) somehow, but a solution escapes
> me.
> > > > > >
> > > > > > George
> > > > > >
> > > > > > "Jocelyn Fiorello [MVP - Outlook]" <jfiorelloNOSPAM@mvps.org>
> > > wrote in
> > > > > > message news:u$0cIW%23RDHA.2236@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl...
> > > > > > > How big is your .PST file?
> > > > > > >
> > > > > > > -- 
> > > > > > > Jocelyn Fiorello
> > > > > > > MVP - Outlook
> > > > > > >
> > > > > > > *** Replies sent to my e-mail address will probably not be
> > > > > answered -- 
> > > > > > > please reply only to the newsgroup to preserve the message
> > > thread.
> > > > > ***
> > > > > > >
> > > > > > >
> > > > > > > "GWL" <gleese@alltel.net> wrote in message
> > > > > > > news:%23QFl2n9RDHA.3192@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl...
> > > > > > > > For the past two weeks I have been trying to figure out
> why I
> > > > > cannot
> > > > > > > get
> > > > > > > > Outlook 2000 to save new contact information. This started
> as
> > > an
> > > > > > > > intermittent problem that now has progressed to permanent
> > > status.
> > > > > When
> > > > > > > I try
> > > > > > > > to save any new contact information I get the " Outlook
> has
> > > > > > > encountered a
> > > > > > > > problem & needs to close. We are sorry for the
> inconvenience."
> > > > > message
> > > > > > > > dialog box.  I send the error message and the program
> closes.
> > > I am
> > > > > now
> > > > > > > at
> > > > > > > > the place where Outlook is unusable for any new contact
> > > > > information. I
> > > > > > > have
> > > > > > > > run the repair outlook routine without success. I suspect
> the
> > > .pst
> > > > > > > file but
> > > > > > > > do not know how to repair it. Anyone know what is going on
> > > here?
> > > > > > > >
> > > > > > > > George
> > > > > > > >
> > > > > > > >
> > > > > > > >
> > > > > > >
> > > > > > >
> > > > > >
> > > > > >
> > > > >
> > > > >
> > > >
> > > >
> > >
> > >
> >
> >
>
>


0
gleese (10)
7/12/2003 6:11:03 PM
Unfortunately I've pretty much exhausted everything I can think of on
this one...the only thing I can suggest is that you start a new thread
(possibly in microsoft.public.outlook.contacts, only because that's
where the problem seems to lie), and describe what you've already done
to troubleshoot the problem.  Perhaps someone else will be able to give
you more guidance.  Sorry I couldn't help you further.

-- 
Jocelyn Fiorello
MVP - Outlook

*** Replies sent to my e-mail address will probably not be answered -- 
please reply only to the newsgroup to preserve the message thread. ***


"GWL" <gleese@alltel.net> wrote in message
news:ec$g9DKSDHA.940@TK2MSFTNGP11.phx.gbl...
> Well I went ahead and completely uninstalled Outlook, did a cold boot
and
> reinstalled after being sure that all the outlook folders scattered
around
> the hard disk were empty. Opened the new Outlook and the same problem
exists
> even with a newly created empty PST. The error message is the cryptic
> "Outlook has encountered a problem and needs to close. Sorry ect.". No
other
> info in the error message. I did try to read the error report that is
> generated to Microsoft, but it appeared to be just long listing of
memory
> addresses. The only clue that I have discovered is that a new entry
will
> save properly only if I do not try to include an address. Every
attempt to
> access the address dialog box will result in the error when Save and
Close
> is clicked or if any form of a save is attempted. So it appears to be
> something in the address system that is causing the error.
>
> George Leese
>
>
>
>
> "Jocelyn Fiorello [MVP - Outlook]" <jfiorelloNOSPAM@mvps.org> wrote in
> message news:uQ4kd5JSDHA.1720@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl...
> > You could try it, but unfortunately reinstalling Outlook usually
doesn't
> > change the files that seem to cause the most problems.  Does the
error
> > dialog you get when Outlook crashes give you any details to look at?
If
> > so, what are they?  You might try searching the Microsoft Knowledge
Base
> > for error messages such as the one you're getting...there may be
some
> > other files you can try deleting.  Also, you could try deleting and
> > recreating your mail profile(s), which sometimes helps cure various
> > ills.
> >
> > -- 
> > Jocelyn Fiorello
> > MVP - Outlook
> >
> > *** Replies sent to my e-mail address will probably not be
answered -- 
> > please reply only to the newsgroup to preserve the message thread.
***
> >
> >
> > "GWL" <gleese@alltel.net> wrote in message
> > news:uRU0ngHSDHA.2432@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl...
> > > Jocelyn, I have tried everything that you have suggested except
the
> > program
> > > that must be purchased. Still no go. I did do some more trouble
> > shooting
> > > this morning and may have found a clue for someone who understands
> > Outlook
> > > better than me. I no longer suspect the PST file because I moved
the
> > old
> > > files and forced Outlook to create a new  file with no data. Even
this
> > new
> > > file cannot save with the same exact error message. Do you think I
> > should
> > > try an uninstall and reinstall instead of the repair that did not
> > work.
> > > Maybe some registry key is corrupted?
> > >
> > > George Leese
> > >
> > >
> > > "Jocelyn Fiorello [MVP - Outlook]" <jfiorelloNOSPAM@mvps.org>
wrote in
> > > message news:eaNmgaBSDHA.2148@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl...
> > > > See if any of the additional tips on the following page are
helpful:
> > > >
> > > > http://www.slipstick.com/problems/scanpst.htm
> > > >
> > > > -- 
> > > > Jocelyn Fiorello
> > > > MVP - Outlook
> > > >
> > > > *** Replies sent to my e-mail address will probably not be
> > answered -- 
> > > > please reply only to the newsgroup to preserve the message
thread.
> > ***
> > > >
> > > >
> > > > "GWL" <gleese@alltel.net> wrote in message
> > > > news:Ooqs7LBSDHA.560@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl...
> > > > > I did not know about scanpst and I just ran it. It showed
errors
> > and
> > > > > repaired them, but the problem remains. If I start a new
contact
> > and
> > > > save
> > > > > with name only, the contact saves. If I go on to add a Phone
> > number or
> > > > > address (each independently) I get the error message and
outlook
> > > > closes. I
> > > > > ran scanpst a second time and it revealed no additional
errors.
> > > > >
> > > > > George Leese
> > > > >
> > > > > "Jocelyn Fiorello [MVP - Outlook]" <jfiorelloNOSPAM@mvps.org>
> > wrote in
> > > > > message news:O$YEqlASDHA.2852@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl...
> > > > > > Have you tried running the Inbox Repair Tool (scanpst.exe)
> > against
> > > > your
> > > > > > .PST file to see if it finds any errors?  Note that this is
not
> > the
> > > > same
> > > > > > thing as running Detect and Repair...
> > > > > >
> > > > > > -- 
> > > > > > Jocelyn Fiorello
> > > > > > MVP - Outlook
> > > > > >
> > > > > > *** Replies sent to my e-mail address will probably not be
> > > > answered -- 
> > > > > > please reply only to the newsgroup to preserve the message
> > thread.
> > > > ***
> > > > > >
> > > > > >
> > > > > > "GWL" <gleese@alltel.net> wrote in message
> > > > > > news:eGm0U%23%23RDHA.1552@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl...
> > > > > > > I have compacted and reduced the pst file to no avail. I
have
> > > > found at
> > > > > > least
> > > > > > > one record that will not delete, open or modify in any
way.
> > Any
> > > > > > activity
> > > > > > > with this record will generate the" Outlook has
encountered a
> > > > problem
> > > > > > &
> > > > > > > needs to close" error. If this record is the problem, I do
not
> > > > seem to
> > > > > > have
> > > > > > > a way to delete it from Outlook. I guess it is possible
that
> > it is
> > > > > > tied to
> > > > > > > another record (cross linked) somehow, but a solution
escapes
> > me.
> > > > > > >
> > > > > > > George
> > > > > > >
> > > > > > > "Jocelyn Fiorello [MVP - Outlook]"
<jfiorelloNOSPAM@mvps.org>
> > > > wrote in
> > > > > > > message news:u$0cIW%23RDHA.2236@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl...
> > > > > > > > How big is your .PST file?
> > > > > > > >
> > > > > > > > -- 
> > > > > > > > Jocelyn Fiorello
> > > > > > > > MVP - Outlook
> > > > > > > >
> > > > > > > > *** Replies sent to my e-mail address will probably not
be
> > > > > > answered -- 
> > > > > > > > please reply only to the newsgroup to preserve the
message
> > > > thread.
> > > > > > ***
> > > > > > > >
> > > > > > > >
> > > > > > > > "GWL" <gleese@alltel.net> wrote in message
> > > > > > > > news:%23QFl2n9RDHA.3192@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl...
> > > > > > > > > For the past two weeks I have been trying to figure
out
> > why I
> > > > > > cannot
> > > > > > > > get
> > > > > > > > > Outlook 2000 to save new contact information. This
started
> > as
> > > > an
> > > > > > > > > intermittent problem that now has progressed to
permanent
> > > > status.
> > > > > > When
> > > > > > > > I try
> > > > > > > > > to save any new contact information I get the "
Outlook
> > has
> > > > > > > > encountered a
> > > > > > > > > problem & needs to close. We are sorry for the
> > inconvenience."
> > > > > > message
> > > > > > > > > dialog box.  I send the error message and the program
> > closes.
> > > > I am
> > > > > > now
> > > > > > > > at
> > > > > > > > > the place where Outlook is unusable for any new
contact
> > > > > > information. I
> > > > > > > > have
> > > > > > > > > run the repair outlook routine without success. I
suspect
> > the
> > > > .pst
> > > > > > > > file but
> > > > > > > > > do not know how to repair it. Anyone know what is
going on
> > > > here?
> > > > > > > > >
> > > > > > > > > George
> > > > > > > > >
> > > > > > > > >
> > > > > > > > >
> > > > > > > >
> > > > > > > >
> > > > > > >
> > > > > > >
> > > > > >
> > > > > >
> > > > >
> > > > >
> > > >
> > > >
> > >
> > >
> >
> >
>
>


0
7/12/2003 6:42:32 PM
Reply:

Similar Artilces:

Outlook with Outlook Express ?
Is it possible to select an Outlook Contact, and send an email using Outlook Express? Thanks. Talal Itani No. But you can do it vice versa. "Talal Itani" <titani@verizon.net> wrote in message news:TXaXh.4742$Fc1.4027@trnddc05... > > Is it possible to select an Outlook Contact, and send an email using > Outlook Express? > > Thanks. > Talal Itani > Talal Itani <titani@verizon.net> wrote: > Is it possible to select an Outlook Contact, and send an email using > Outlook Express? No, but you could open the Outlook Contact, select the e...

Why does Outlook access contacts twice at start up?
When I open Outlook (2002), I am always immediately promped twice to allow access to contacts. Is this normal? (I always decline) Dave Clewlow;111740 Wrote: > When I open Outlook (2002), I am always immediately promped twice to > allow access to contacts. Is this normal? (I always decline) What is the exact text of the error or prompt and what type of account are you using? -- Brian Tillman Brian Tillman [MVP-Outlook] -- http://forums.slipstick.com What add-ins are installed? It sounds like you have two that want to access your contacts. -- Diane P...

I am unable to activate a 2nd account in Outlook
My 2nd e-mail shows up in Outlook but no messages get sent there. http://www.howto-outlook.com/faq/newprofile.htm -- Kathleen Orland Outlook Tips: http://www.outlook-tips.net/ http://www.howto-outlook.com/ Outlook & Exchange Solutions Center: http://www.slipstick.com "55trojan" wrote: > My 2nd e-mail shows up in Outlook but no messages get sent there. ...

Questing about exchange 2000 server
My company recently had it's T1 internet connection cut so therefore, our exchange 2000 server couldn't receive email. We spoke to another company, X, that agreed to let us dial in, using an ISDN line, to their system to grab a static ip. They've called up our registrar, Network Solutions ,and added two of their own nameservers. They've also assigned 10 mail.x.com as the mx record. So now, all our mails goes to their linux email server, where spam and virus filtering takes place, then gets forwarded to our exchange 2000 server. We are now getting a T1 line from verizon wit...

Importing old Outlook contact data into new Outlook personal fold
Background (please bear with me here): I had a hard drive crash and no recent backup (I know I'm an idiot!). I finally had to have a disk recovery outfit rescue my data. However, for reasons I won't bore you with, a couple of months elapsed between crash and recovery of old data. During that time, I got a new drive and reinstalled the programs, like Office 2007. So I have data in the newer installation and older data in the previous, recovered drive. I need to get the old personal address book info from a backup of the old Outlook 2007 into my new Outlook 2007 .pst fol...

Outlook Contacts 05-25-07
Is there a way to point CRM contacts to a different folder in Outlook durring sink? ...

Outlook freezes up
I just upgraded my OS to XP Pro and my Office to XP Pro. After teh upgrades I went to Windows Update and installed all the updates that were made since SP1 and then done the same for Office Updates. One of the updates SP1 downloaded and then quit the install telling me to download again and try to reinstall. When I go to down load it says the file is already downloaded... Where is it and how can I fix this problem? Thanks, Fred >-----Original Message----- >I just upgraded my OS to XP Pro and my Office to XP Pro. >After teh upgrades I went to Windows Update and install...

Outlook & Entourage
Hi All, I have Exchange 2007 server. I have a client. I setup Outlook in Dell PC and Entourage in his MAC PC. I have a problem now. When he checked Sent Items from Outlook, there just only have old sent emails which he sent on 2008 and he said that he has already deleted them. On Entourage, in Sent Items, there are emails which is he sent out recently, it shows correctly. Is anybody know why? Is there any tools which I could use for checking user's sent email box to see how many emails or email details are there from Exchange 2007? Thanks in advance, --qq "...

Outlook *.pst import to Outlook Web Access???
I am wondering if there is a way to import my Personal Folder.pst into Outlook Web Access application? JimC No, that's not possible, because OWA is a browser application. It knows = nothing about files on your hard drive.=20 --=20 Sue Mosher, Outlook MVP Author of Configuring Microsoft Outlook 2003 http://www.turtleflock.com/olconfig/index.htm and Microsoft Outlook Programming - Jumpstart for=20 Administrators, Power Users, and Developers http://www.outlookcode.com/jumpstart.aspx =20 "JimC2007" <JimC2007@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message...

Opening Outlook
I can't open Outlook. Outlook Express is fine. I get the message "Unable to open your default folders. Outlook could not open because a location to send and receive e-mail could not be found. To add a location open the 'Mail' icon in control panel. I've looked in the 'mail' and I have 'none' in the delivery section and no apparent means of adding one. Help Search your hard drive for all files with a .PST extension. If you're using Windows 2000 or XP, you'll need to enable searching in hidden and system folders to find all possible .PST fi...

gridlines in outlook?
im trying to make outlook print gridlines. i copy a piece of an exce worksheet into an outlook email. the gridlines appear ok. but when i g to print- they dont appear on the preview or the print out. what do i need to do to make them visible ----------------------------------------------- ~~ Message posted from http://www.ExcelTip.com ~~View and post usenet messages directly from http://www.ExcelForum.com ...

Please Help with Outlook Journal (Outlook 2002)
The journal is very important to me but it doesn't seem to be working. A) The contact list only displays 1/3 of my contacts (A-I) B) When I do check one of those boxes to track a contact, nothing automatically appears in the journal please help thanks in advance that dialog is a PITA. :) Go to the contacts folder and choose the phone list view from view, current view (or the advanced toolbar's current view selector) one of the last fields is Journal. Add and remove checks to that column to change the journal status. If you make a custom view that groups by journal field yo...

can't create rules in outlook
When I try to create rules in outlook, I get a message which says the rule can't be created and to check my folder permissions. If I go through the wizard, I can create them successfully. It is really frustrating, because most of what I want to create would be simple to create with the create button. I'm the only user on this machine. It is running Windows XP pro and I'm the admin. I'm using Outlook 2002. Anyone have any ideas? Thanks, Anne ...

select name box freezes Outlook
Outlook 2002 sp2 XP Pro When I click the To: button, the select names window opens. I cannot select any names as Outlook freezes completely. I have to close the entire program through Ctl Alt Del. I used the cd to do a fix and repair, but it did not fix or repair the problem. Any solutions or suggestions are appreciated. Jerry ...

outlook 2002
Hello I am having problems accessing outlook 2002 I get a message " microsoft has stopped working" then another message " the product entered it's extended support phase" can anyone help please Many thanks On 5/7/2010 7:13 AM, CAH wrote: > Hello I am having problems accessing outlook 2002 I get a message " > microsoft has stopped working" then another message " the product entered > it's extended support phase" > can anyone help please Many thanks You will need to ask this question in a group specific t...

outlook and links in emails
hi all, maybe someone knows... when i receive an email with a HTML link in it, is there any way (when i click on it) to make outlook open this using the inbuilt browser instead of it opening into IE? I am using office 2002 (=XP). regards, piotr The "in-built" browser IS Internet Explorer. What is it you are trying to accomplish? --� Milly Staples [MVP - Outlook] Post all replies to the group to keep the discussion intact. Due to the Swen virus, all e-mails sent to my actual account will be deleted w/out reading. After searching google.groups.com and finding no answer Llama ...

GP 9 new user cannot change password
We're testing the upgrade from 7 to 9, and in our 9 database, I added a new user but the user cannot change the password. I checked my ODBC settings and everything is unchecked, &c. Can anyone tihnk of anything else? I've read the other posts on this subject and tried everything suggested, to no avail. Does the new user have rights to any company? Visit us at Convergence in San Diego -- booth 624. -- Richard L. Whaley Author / Consultant / MVP Documentation for Software Users For help learning and better using Dynamics GP,... check out our books at http://www.AccoladePub...

Same Contact, Different Owners
We are running V4. Big big concern of our users is multiple owners of a single contact. CRM is only allowing one user to sync back changes from the CRM to Outlook (so the first user to synch their Outlook contacts with CRM wins). Even if record is shared, updates are not being synch'd. Are there any solutions/ideas/suggestions to handle this? The easier way to do it is to modify the local data rule for synchornizing the data. The default rule is to download all of the records owned by the login user. Darren Liu, Microsoft CRM MVP Crowe http://www.crowecrm.com On May 22, 6:26=...

Outlook XP and attachments
I have recently installed Outlook XP SP-2. I send attachments (in this case. Powerpoint file). If I retrieve the mail message from a POP server with Outlook XP, I also receive attachments. If I retrieve the message with Outlook Express 6.0, the attachmente deos not come through. What am I doing wrong? how do I correct the problem?? Thanks andrea <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: > I have recently installed Outlook XP SP-2. > > I send attachments (in this case. Powerpoint file). If I > retrieve the mail message from a POP server with Outlook > XP, I als...

Exchange 2010, Outlook 2003
I've setup my Exchange 2010 server with my email address policies. Of course there are some acceptions to the rules. I've made changes to those accounts in the EMC under Recipient Configuration | Mailbox. I edit the account under the "E-Mail Addresses" tab by adding the diffrent email address, unchecking the "Automatically update e-mail addresses based on e-mail address policy", then click the "Set as Reply" button. If I fire up Outlook 2010, start to compose an email and select that person from the GAL, it will have the correct email addres...

Outlook 2007
Every time I go to Tasks the To Do list is the default view. I moved Tasks up to the top but the To Do list remains the default. Can you please tell me how to switch off the To Do list or make Tasks the default view. Can I go back to the good old Task view of Outlook 2003 without these dang To Do's ? Grateful for any help. Cheers. AFAIk, you can't change that. You could create a view the hid flagged messages, so only tasks are visible. -- Diane Poremsky [MVP - Outlook] Outlook Tips: http://www.outlook-tips.net/ Outlook & Exchange Solutions Center: http://www.slip...

corrupted word-outlook interface or preferences
Without any warning, some preferences for Word 2003 when I use it as the email editor for Outlook got goofy today. When I'm in edit mode (creating a new email or replying to an old one), the fonts look bolder and larger than they should. When I send the email, they look fine when received. The fonts all look okay when I stop using Word as my email editor. I thought that maybe a Word preference got corrupted. I've tried deleting the Normal.dot file (for Word, since it seems that Word is at least part of the problem) and also doing the "detect and repair" option, but I&#...

outlook #180
How do I set reminders (one week in advance) for birthdays or other events? Thank you, in advance, to anyone that can answer this question. In the reminders box, enter 1w for one week or 7d. --� Milly Staples [MVP - Outlook] Post all replies to the group to keep the discussion intact. Due to the (insert latest virus name here) virus, all mail sent to my personal account will be deleted without reading. After searching google.groups.com and finding no answer, Harvey asked: | How do I set reminders (one week in advance) for | birthdays or other events? | | Thank you, in advance, to anyo...

Spam Confidence Level (SCL) in Outlook 2007 with Exchange 2003
I have just upgraded our client machines to run Outlook 2007 while connecting to an SBS 2003 R2 server. I can no longer access the SCL values. I have tried a number of suggestions found on the web but nothing seems to work. Does anyone have a working solution for this configuration. Thanks Using the CFG to create the custom field? It seems to work for some and not others. I'm not sure why that is, but after an odd experience with one of the other CFG's I have, I thought of the SCL form and wondered if its something with the folders its installed in. [1] Beyond this...

outlook to outlook express #4
Hi, I am hoping there is away to import all my Outlook Express settings inc address book, messages and files in all local folders to Outlook 2003. I am using Outlook Express 6 When I start to install Outlook 2003 it asks if I want to Configure an email account... I stopped there afraid I would lose all my settings from Express. Any and all help would be appreciated I think you say no to that dialog and then you will get prompted about importing from OE. (Even if you say yes, it won't go delete anything out of OE.) "Manny" <manny_is@hotmail.com> wrote in messag...