Outlook 2000 to 2003: Using old pst file

I recently bought a new computer and have installed
Office 2003. I think I must have started Outlook and
created a personal data file before copying the pst file
from my old version of Outlook (I think 2000) into the
Outlook 2003 folder. In any event, I have two Personal
Folders in Outlook 2003. Following instructions regarding
using old pst files ("Reconnect your old Outlook data
file" located at
http://office.microsoft.com/assistance/preview.aspx?
AssetID=HA010771141033&CTT=98), I have tried renaming the
old pst file by right-clicking its Personal Folder icon,
going to Properties, and clicking Advanced. I get an
error message that says "The operation failed. An object
could not be found." The same thing happens when I follow
the same procedure with what appears to be the new
Personal Folders. By the way, it appears that I don't
have authority to make certain changes to Personal
Folders after right-clicking - certain functions are
dimmed, including "Rename 'Personal Folders'"
and "Close 'Personal Folders'." So, problem one is how to
get rid of the unwanted Personal Folders and ensure I
have full authority over the old pst Personal Folders
that I want to use.

The second problem may be related to the first. When I
try to create a new distribution list, when I try to
select members I get an error message that says, "The
address list could not be displayed. The Contacts folder
associated with this address list could not be opened; it
may have been moved or deleted, or you do not have
permissions.." Going past that, I can access a drop-down
list that gets me to a different Contacts folder - the
one in the old pst file. Again, how do I get rid of the
new one - when I'm told as to both Personal Folders that
I lack authority to rename or close?
0
anonymous (74718)

The easiest way to fix the multiple .PST file problem is to create a new
mail profile and then add your good .PST file to it.  You can do this via
Control Panel | Mail | Show Profiles.

Once you've got that going, we can talk about the contacts issue.

--
Jocelyn Fiorello
MVP - Outlook

In news:299a301c46622$879756a0$a601280a@phx.gbl,
John Rule wrote:

> I recently bought a new computer and have installed
> Office 2003. I think I must have started Outlook and
> created a personal data file before copying the pst file
> from my old version of Outlook (I think 2000) into the
> Outlook 2003 folder. In any event, I have two Personal
> Folders in Outlook 2003. Following instructions regarding
> using old pst files ("Reconnect your old Outlook data
> file" located at
> http://office.microsoft.com/assistance/preview.aspx?
> AssetID=HA010771141033&CTT=98), I have tried renaming the
> old pst file by right-clicking its Personal Folder icon,
> going to Properties, and clicking Advanced. I get an
> error message that says "The operation failed. An object
> could not be found." The same thing happens when I follow
> the same procedure with what appears to be the new
> Personal Folders. By the way, it appears that I don't
> have authority to make certain changes to Personal
> Folders after right-clicking - certain functions are
> dimmed, including "Rename 'Personal Folders'"
> and "Close 'Personal Folders'." So, problem one is how to
> get rid of the unwanted Personal Folders and ensure I
> have full authority over the old pst Personal Folders
> that I want to use.
>
> The second problem may be related to the first. When I
> try to create a new distribution list, when I try to
> select members I get an error message that says, "The
> address list could not be displayed. The Contacts folder
> associated with this address list could not be opened; it
> may have been moved or deleted, or you do not have
> permissions.." Going past that, I can access a drop-down
> list that gets me to a different Contacts folder - the
> one in the old pst file. Again, how do I get rid of the
> new one - when I'm told as to both Personal Folders that
> I lack authority to rename or close?

Outlook with Outlook Express ?

Questing about exchange 2000 server
My company recently had it's T1 internet connection cut so therefore, our exchange 2000 server couldn't receive email. We spoke to another company, X, that agreed to let us dial in, using an ISDN line, to their system to grab a static ip. They've called up our registrar, Network Solutions ,and added two of their own nameservers. They've also assigned 10 mail.x.com as the mx record. So now, all our mails goes to their linux email server, where spam and virus filtering takes place, then gets forwarded to our exchange 2000 server. We are now getting a T1 line from verizon wit...

Configuring free/busy calendar in Exchange 2003
Does anyone know how to configure the free/busy in Exchange 2003 to publish more than 2 months of calendar free/busy information on the server? I can do it on the client Outlook but I want to change the default from 2 months to 6 months for all users. Free/busy information is used by people sending meeting requests to determine when you are available for meeting. Thanks. --John ...

Outlook Contacts 05-25-07

Outlook freezes up

TextBox Bound to Memo Filed displays the first 255 Chr
hi everyone I have a "Notes" field which is set on the table as a MEMO field. The notes field is loaded into a form (bound) .the "Notes" field contains more than 255 characters. However, the "Notes" field (which is already a memo field type bound to textbox) the textbox cuts off all data after 255 characters. please help thanks Wael If the form is based directly on the table (not on a query), you probably have something in the Format property of the text box on the form, or in the Format property of the field in the table. Eliminate whatever is in the ...

When I use no margins, white edges still appear in printing. How .
How do I get rid of these white edges when printing on a laser printer? Hi Pub (Pub @discussions.microsoft.com), in the newsgroups you posted: || How do I get rid of these white edges when printing on a laser || printer? Because your printer cannot print to the edge. This is a limitation of your printer, and Publisher can only print to the printer's limitations. -- Brian Kvalheim Microsoft Publisher MVP http://www.publishermvps.com ~pay it forward~ This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights. ...

Outlook & Entourage

not sure if I'm using the correct formula for the result I want #2
I'm trying to calculate a 'low net' score. A persons 'actual score' minus 'their handicap' = 'low net' score. I have this worksheet setup like this; A4:A23 = list of names Columns B-U have the weekly calculated low net scores B4:U23 = the calculated 'low net' scores using this formula =SUM(Scorecard!B4-Scorecard!Y4); (this is for player one) Scorecard!B4 is player one's first week 'actual score', Scorecard!Y4 is player one's calculated 'handicap'. In Row B25:U25 I have this formula {=MIN(IF(B$4:B$23>0,B$4:B$23))}, to p...

Opening Outlook

gridlines in outlook?

can't create rules in outlook

select name box freezes Outlook

outlook 2002

Making Description filed in Closing Dialogs Business Required
Looking to see if there's a way of making the Description field in the Case Resolution closing dialog box mandatory. The attribute under the Case Resolution entity can't be ...

outlook and links in emails

Outlook XP and attachments

Exchange 2010, Outlook 2003

Outlook 2007

Excel 2003 Page Breaks
I e-mailed a workbook to a collegue that contained 28 worksheets. On my PC, all the vertical page breaks were set so printing was done on one page for each sheet. On his machine the page break shifted to the left such that some columns were on a second page for each sheet. What can be done to preserve the verticle page break setting. This file will be sent daily and we would like to not need to adjust the page breaks. He probably has a different printer and a different printer driver. Not much you can do about that, except work in very safe distance from the margins. Maybe doing the fin...