Outlook 2000 - date navigator (those mini month calendars in the corner) no longer showing active dates in bold

I'm using Outlook 2000 with SP 3.  The date navigator (those little mini
month calendars that show up in the upper corner when viewing the Calendar
section) no longer display dates with active appointments in bold text.  Or,
to be more accurate, once in a while, if I start Outlook and go immediately
to the Calendar section, then I can see the dates bolded as expected for a
while (at least until I change to a different folder and then when I return
to the Calendar they are no longer bolded).  But usually when I go to the
Calendar section the dates are not bolded at all (and yes, I've confirmed
that there are active appointments on some days).  The problem is not with
certain dates not being bolded, but that there are NO dates bolded at all
when it is not working.  In those rare moments when it works, only selected
dates with active appointments are bolded (and they appear as they should).

I had some intermittent difficulty with this in the past, but it seems to
have become a permanent problem now.  In addition to recently installing
SP3, I'm also running SpamBeyes (which filters SPAM) and Outlook Attachment
Sniffer (which allows me to archive attachments in an external folder,
separateld from the emails they were sent in).  I'm also running an old
synchronization program for an old PDA on a regular basis.  And I've
recently installed IE 6 with all recommended updates.

I've verified that the option "Bolded dates in date navigator represent days
with active appointments" is checked, I've tried using different calendar
views, I've reset the views using the /CleanViews command-line switch,  I've
played around with my Internet Explorer settings, and I've tried turning my
Add-Ins off and changing various settings for them.  Some of these things
seem to fix the problem in the first instance I reopen Outlook after making
a change, but then after closing and re-opening or restarting, the problem
is back again.  In particular, I seem to be able to change the behaviour
(somewhat unpredictably) by clearing the "Bolded dates in date navigator..."
checkbox, restarting, and then checking it to on again.  And changing IE to
display images or not display images or to use JavaScript or not to use it
seems to have a noticeable effect.  And I know that my SpamBeyes settings
are probably fiddling with some of the internal dispaly features like this,
but the problem does not seem to go away permanently when SpamBeyes is
disabled.

Whatever I do, I can't get any of these settings to permanently fix the
problem.  Does anyone here know what might be causing the problem?  Or do
you know what registry settings I might fiddle with to fix this (Windoze
98)?

Thanks,

Outlook 2000 User

This may be a long shot, but try this

Close Outlook

Check Task Manager to ensure both the Outlook.exe and MAPISP32.EXE processes
are no longer running

Select Start | Run

Enter    outlook.exe /CleanFreeBusy
(note the space between "outlook.exe" and "/CleanFreeBusy")

Select OK

--
PATRICK REED [Outlook - MVP]~~~~~~
  -Microsoft Certified Professional (MCP)

"Outlook 2000 User" <outlook2000user@NOTmicrosoft.com> wrote in message
> [...]
> is back again.  In particular, I seem to be able to change the behaviour
> (somewhat unpredictably) by clearing the "Bolded dates in date
navigator..."
> checkbox, restarting, and then checking it to on again.  And changing IE
> display images or not display images or to use JavaScript or not to use it
> seems to have a noticeable effect.  And I know that my SpamBeyes settings
> are probably fiddling with some of the internal dispaly features like
this,
> but the problem does not seem to go away permanently when SpamBeyes is
> disabled.
>
> Whatever I do, I can't get any of these settings to permanently fix the
> problem.  Does anyone here know what might be causing the problem?  Or do
> you know what registry settings I might fiddle with to fix this (Windoze

0
patrickareed (498)
3/4/2004 4:00:26 PM
Thanks for the suggestion, Patrick.

I think I tried the /CleanFreeBusy switch before, but I tried it again and
it didn't change the behaviour.  In fact, I think I've tried a whole series
of the command line switches now, including /CleanFreeBusy, /CleanReminders,
/CleanViews, and  /ResetOutlookBar.  None seem to fix this problem.  I'm
using a non-networked, stand-alone, POP3 installation, so no one else has
access to my free/busy times..

Also, since my original posting I have discovered that it seems that I can
basically ALWAYS get the bold navigator dates to show up correctly if I go
directly to my calendar before visiting any other folder.  And it seems that
I can NEVER get it to stay displaying correctly after I leave the Calendar
folder and return to it later.

It has crossed my mind that the Outlook calendar "day/week/month" view
depends on IE integration and that one of the later security fixes to either
IE 6 or Outlook 2000 has decided not to permit certain JavaScript/ActiveX
controls to work under certain conditions and that is disabling the bolded
date functionality of the date navigator.  Does anyone know if that is at
all possible?

Outlook 2000 User

Patrick Reed [MVP - Outlook] <patrickareed@mchsi.com> wrote in message
> This may be a long shot, but try this
>
> Close Outlook
>
> Check Task Manager to ensure both the Outlook.exe and MAPISP32.EXE
processes
> are no longer running
>
> Select Start | Run
>
> Enter    outlook.exe /CleanFreeBusy
> (note the space between "outlook.exe" and "/CleanFreeBusy")
>
> Select OK
>
> --
> PATRICK REED [Outlook - MVP]~~~~~~
>   -Microsoft Certified Professional (MCP)
>   -Have you checked http://www.slipstick.com?
>   -Please post your Outlook version!
>

> "Outlook 2000 User" <outlook2000user@NOTmicrosoft.com> wrote in message
> > I'm using Outlook 2000 with SP 3.  The date navigator (those little mini
> > month calendars that show up in the upper corner when viewing the
Calendar
> > section) no longer display dates with active appointments in bold text.
[snip]

Did a search on google.groups and discovered that there is a
microsoft.public.outlook.calendaring group and that this issue has been
raised several times in that area over the past two years without being
resolved.  Perhaps it is a bug in Outlook?

Outlook 2000 User.

> Thanks for the suggestion, Patrick.
>
> I think I tried the /CleanFreeBusy switch before, but I tried it again and
> it didn't change the behaviour.  In fact, I think I've tried a whole
series
> of the command line switches now, including /CleanFreeBusy,
/CleanReminders,
> /CleanViews, and  /ResetOutlookBar.  None seem to fix this problem.  I'm
> using a non-networked, stand-alone, POP3 installation, so no one else has
> access to my free/busy times..
>
> Also, since my original posting I have discovered that it seems that I can
> basically ALWAYS get the bold navigator dates to show up correctly if I go
> directly to my calendar before visiting any other folder.  And it seems
that
> I can NEVER get it to stay displaying correctly after I leave the Calendar
> folder and return to it later.
>
> It has crossed my mind that the Outlook calendar "day/week/month" view
> depends on IE integration and that one of the later security fixes to
either
> IE 6 or Outlook 2000 has decided not to permit certain JavaScript/ActiveX
> controls to work under certain conditions and that is disabling the bolded
> date functionality of the date navigator.  Does anyone know if that is at
> all possible?
>
> Outlook 2000 User
>
> Patrick Reed [MVP - Outlook] <patrickareed@mchsi.com> wrote in message
> > This may be a long shot, but try this
> >
> > Close Outlook
> >
> > Check Task Manager to ensure both the Outlook.exe and MAPISP32.EXE
> processes
> > are no longer running
> >
> > Select Start | Run
> >
> > Enter    outlook.exe /CleanFreeBusy
> > (note the space between "outlook.exe" and "/CleanFreeBusy")
> >
> > Select OK
> >
> > --
> > PATRICK REED [Outlook - MVP]~~~~~~
> >   -Microsoft Certified Professional (MCP)
> >   -Have you checked http://www.slipstick.com?
> >   -Please post your Outlook version!
> >

> > "Outlook 2000 User" <outlook2000user@NOTmicrosoft.com> wrote in message
> > > I'm using Outlook 2000 with SP 3.  The date navigator (those little
mini
> > > month calendars that show up in the upper corner when viewing the
> Calendar
> > > section) no longer display dates with active appointments in bold
text.
> [snip]

Possibly, although I can't reproduce it.

This may seem a rather "wierd" thing to try, but I've seen an import and
export of data cure other problems more complicated than this.

If you're using a PST file, I would suggest making a copy of it first before
doing this.

Select File | Import/Export and export to a PST file. Follow the wizard to
export all your Calendar appointments to a new PST file.

Once completed, open your Calendar and select a list view such as "By
Category" to display all the appointments.

Select all the appointments and delete them.

Restart Outlook using the /CleanFreeBusy switch

Import your appointments from the PST file to which you exported them

Restart Outlook once again using the /CleanFreeBusy switch

Does it behave differently now?

--

> Did a search on google.groups and discovered that there is a
> microsoft.public.outlook.calendaring group and that this issue has been
> raised several times in that area over the past two years without being
> resolved.  Perhaps it is a bug in Outlook?
>
> Outlook 2000 User.
>
> Outlook 2000 User <outlook2000user@NOTmicrosoft.com> wrote in message
> > Thanks for the suggestion, Patrick.
> >
> > I think I tried the /CleanFreeBusy switch before, but I tried it again
and
> > it didn't change the behaviour.  In fact, I think I've tried a whole
> series
> > of the command line switches now, including /CleanFreeBusy,
> /CleanReminders,
> > /CleanViews, and  /ResetOutlookBar.  None seem to fix this problem.  I'm
> > using a non-networked, stand-alone, POP3 installation, so no one else
has
> > access to my free/busy times..
> >
> > Also, since my original posting I have discovered that it seems that I
can
> > basically ALWAYS get the bold navigator dates to show up correctly if I
go
> > directly to my calendar before visiting any other folder.  And it seems
> that
> > I can NEVER get it to stay displaying correctly after I leave the
Calendar
> > folder and return to it later.
> >
> > It has crossed my mind that the Outlook calendar "day/week/month" view
> > depends on IE integration and that one of the later security fixes to
> either
> > IE 6 or Outlook 2000 has decided not to permit certain
JavaScript/ActiveX
> > controls to work under certain conditions and that is disabling the
bolded
> > date functionality of the date navigator.  Does anyone know if that is
at
> > all possible?
> >
> > Outlook 2000 User
> >
> > Patrick Reed [MVP - Outlook] <patrickareed@mchsi.com> wrote in message
> > > This may be a long shot, but try this
> > >
> > > Close Outlook
> > >
> > > Check Task Manager to ensure both the Outlook.exe and MAPISP32.EXE
> > processes
> > > are no longer running
> > >
> > > Select Start | Run
> > >
> > > Enter    outlook.exe /CleanFreeBusy
> > > (note the space between "outlook.exe" and "/CleanFreeBusy")
> > >
> > > Select OK
> > >
> > > --
> > > PATRICK REED [Outlook - MVP]~~~~~~
> > >   -Microsoft Certified Professional (MCP)
> > >   -Have you checked http://www.slipstick.com?
> > >   -Please post your Outlook version!
> > >

> > > "Outlook 2000 User" <outlook2000user@NOTmicrosoft.com> wrote in
message
> mini
> > Calendar
> text.
> > [snip]

0
patrickareed (498)
3/5/2004 3:07:52 PM
Thanks for your persistence trying to help with this problem.  I will not be
able to try this latest suggestion for a couple days, but after I do, I will
post the results back here.

> [...]
> can
> > > basically ALWAYS get the bold navigator dates to show up correctly if
> go
> > > directly to my calendar before visiting any other folder.  And it
seems
> > that
> > > I can NEVER get it to stay displaying correctly after I leave the
> Calendar
> > > folder and return to it later.
> > >
> > > It has crossed my mind that the Outlook calendar "day/week/month" view
> > > depends on IE integration and that one of the later security fixes to
> > either
> > > IE 6 or Outlook 2000 has decided not to permit certain
> JavaScript/ActiveX
> > > controls to work under certain conditions and that is disabling the
> bolded
> > > date functionality of the date navigator.  Does anyone know if that is

Outlook with Outlook Express ?

Questing about exchange 2000 server
My company recently had it's T1 internet connection cut so therefore, our exchange 2000 server couldn't receive email. We spoke to another company, X, that agreed to let us dial in, using an ISDN line, to their system to grab a static ip. They've called up our registrar, Network Solutions ,and added two of their own nameservers. They've also assigned 10 mail.x.com as the mx record. So now, all our mails goes to their linux email server, where spam and virus filtering takes place, then gets forwarded to our exchange 2000 server. We are now getting a T1 line from verizon wit...

Configuring free/busy calendar in Exchange 2003
Does anyone know how to configure the free/busy in Exchange 2003 to publish more than 2 months of calendar free/busy information on the server? I can do it on the client Outlook but I want to change the default from 2 months to 6 months for all users. Free/busy information is used by people sending meeting requests to determine when you are available for meeting. Thanks. --John ...

Outlook Contacts 05-25-07

Outlook freezes up

Outlook & Entourage

Delivery Options Does Not Show Up.
I need to setup an alternative recipient to one of my mailboxes but I can't seem to find the Delivery Options Button under "Exchange Advanced" tab of ADU&C. I can only see three options: Custom Attributes ILS Settings Mailbox Rights What am I missing. It should be there. Thanks for your time Percy it's on the Exchange General tab... -- Susan Conkey [MVP] "Percy" <Percy@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:845C7BCF-BB5B-4E56-9CB6-5C05F32F3A9E@microsoft.com... >I need to setup an alternative recipient to one of my mailboxes but ...

Mini Module Training
It would be helpful to have e-courses for the modules. For example a mini e-course in landed cost or PO Generator. A mini course would be great for those of us who have used GP for a long time and just need extra assistance on the newer features. Of course at a mini price as well! Thanks ---------------- This post is a suggestion for Microsoft, and Microsoft responds to the suggestions with the most votes. To vote for this suggestion, click the "I Agree" button in the message pane. If you do not see the button, follow this link to open the suggestion in the Microsoft Web-bas...

Opening Outlook

gridlines in outlook?

can't create rules in outlook

select name box freezes Outlook

outlook 2002

outlook and links in emails

Outlook XP and attachments

Exchange 2010, Outlook 2003

How do I synch my calendar with my 3 home networked computers?
I've upgraded to W7 and am running Outlook 2007. I run three computers across my home network and want know if and how I can synch my calendars across the network. Hope someone can help... rgds Chris not easily... see http://slipstick.me/sync for options. -- Diane Poremsky [MVP - Outlook] Outlook Tips: http://www.outlook-tips.net/ Outlook & Exchange Solutions Center: http://www.slipstick.com/ Outlook Tips by email: mailto:dailytips-subscribe-request@lists.outlooktips.net EMO - a weekly newsletter about Outlook and Exchange: mailto:EMO-NEWSLETTER-SUBSCRIB...

Outlook 2007

outlook #180
How do I set reminders (one week in advance) for birthdays or other events? Thank you, in advance, to anyone that can answer this question. In the reminders box, enter 1w for one week or 7d. --� Milly Staples [MVP - Outlook] Post all replies to the group to keep the discussion intact. Due to the (insert latest virus name here) virus, all mail sent to my personal account will be deleted without reading. After searching google.groups.com and finding no answer, Harvey asked: | How do I set reminders (one week in advance) for | birthdays or other events? | | Thank you, in advance, to anyo...