Outlook 2000 and Roaming Profiles(Windows XP)

I need to set up Outlook on a Network without Microsot Exchange for users
with roaming profiles.

So the .PST file needs to go on <HomeDirectory>\Application
Data\Microsoft\Outlook on the Server

How can I configure things so that as each user logs and sets up Outlook
this will happen rather than creating
C:\Documents and Settings\<User>\Application Data\Microsoft\Outlook and then
having to go through the rigmarole of setting up another .PST file in the
right place

0
amg51 (10)

MS does not support accessing PST files from a network drive - you will
likely run into problems with this.

A M Ginsberg wrote:
> I need to set up Outlook on a Network without Microsot Exchange for
> users with roaming profiles.
>
> So the .PST file needs to go on <HomeDirectory>\Application
> Data\Microsoft\Outlook on the Server
>
> How can I configure things so that as each user logs and sets up
> Outlook this will happen rather than creating
> C:\Documents and Settings\<User>\Application Data\Microsoft\Outlook
> and then having to go through the rigmarole of setting up another
> .PST file in the right place

0
lanwench (7567)
11/17/2003 10:11:45 PM
I should've written, MS does not *recommend* this config - my fingers were
typing without the benefit of my brain!

How many users do you have on your network?

Lanwench [MVP - Exchange] wrote:
> MS does not support accessing PST files from a network drive - you
> will likely run into problems with this.
>
> A M Ginsberg wrote:
>> I need to set up Outlook on a Network without Microsot Exchange for
>> users with roaming profiles.
>>
>> So the .PST file needs to go on <HomeDirectory>\Application
>> Data\Microsoft\Outlook on the Server
>>
>> How can I configure things so that as each user logs and sets up
>> Outlook this will happen rather than creating
>> C:\Documents and Settings\<User>\Application Data\Microsoft\Outlook
>> and then having to go through the rigmarole of setting up another
>> .PST file in the right place

0
lanwench (7567)
11/17/2003 10:21:52 PM
It is a (primary) school with 60 low volume users.
The ISP is the local education authority which provides an IMAP server
The .PST file HAS to be on the school server - there is no way that you can
guarantee pupils will use the same
computer each time.

Microsoft may say they do not recommend it - but in fact there are KB
articles which in fact tell you how to move your PST file to another
location - including a network drive.
In fact it works quite fine - you need to keep it out of the Profile so that
it is not transferred back and forth.

The problem is that it is a pain to first have Outlook generate a PST file
on the C drive and then have to create another one on the network -
especially since the pupils who are first introduced to Email are 8 years
old!!!!

0
amg51 (10)
11/18/2003 6:43:07 AM
As I said Microsoft do not expressly forbid the use of network shares

Extract from Outlook Help
"To see where default store and additional data files are kept on different
versions of Microsoft Windows, see the "Outlook file locations" topic. Keep
these points in mind:

  a.. You can save, copy, and move a data file (other than the file used as
your default information store) to another location on your hard disk, to a
floppy disk, or to a share on the network. But remember that you must have
read/write permissions to open Personal Folders files (.pst) from a network
share.
  b.. If you need to access any data file that is stored on a network share
or on another computer, close any program that might be using that file. A
data file can be accessed by only one user or program at a time."
  c..
I am sure I need to create a .PRF file or something like that - there is
also a Registry setting which supposedly lets you force the location of the
PST - but that caused Outlook to crash spectacularly

0
amg51 (10)
11/18/2003 8:38:28 AM
Just note that it can cause lots of problems and you may experience latency
and data corruption. I do not do this myself.

A M Ginsberg wrote:
> As I said Microsoft do not expressly forbid the use of network shares
>
> Extract from Outlook Help
> "To see where default store and additional data files are kept on
> different versions of Microsoft Windows, see the "Outlook file
> locations" topic. Keep these points in mind:
>
>   a.. You can save, copy, and move a data file (other than the file
> used as your default information store) to another location on your
> hard disk, to a floppy disk, or to a share on the network. But
> remember that you must have read/write permissions to open Personal
> Folders files (.pst) from a network share.
>   b.. If you need to access any data file that is stored on a network
> share or on another computer, close any program that might be using
> that file. A data file can be accessed by only one user or program at
>   a time." c..
> I am sure I need to create a .PRF file or something like that - there
> is also a Registry setting which supposedly lets you force the
> location of the PST - but that caused Outlook to crash spectacularly

0
lanwench (7567)
11/18/2003 2:01:02 PM
What about putting in Exchange server? With that many users, it seems like
it would be a good idea. Either that or have them use webmail of some sort.
MS may tell you how to move a PST file to a network drive, but remember,
just because you *can* doesn't mean you *should*...

A M Ginsberg wrote:
> It is a (primary) school with 60 low volume users.
> The ISP is the local education authority which provides an IMAP server
> The .PST file HAS to be on the school server - there is no way that
> you can guarantee pupils will use the same
> computer each time.
>
> Microsoft may say they do not recommend it - but in fact there are KB
> articles which in fact tell you how to move your PST file to another
> location - including a network drive.
> In fact it works quite fine - you need to keep it out of the Profile
> so that it is not transferred back and forth.
>
> The problem is that it is a pain to first have Outlook generate a PST
> file on the C drive and then have to create another one on the
> network - especially since the pupils who are first introduced to
> Email are 8 years old!!!!

0
lanwench (7567)
11/18/2003 2:01:54 PM
Although there are 60 users there are only 18 computers and each pupil only
spends about an hour a week on the computer. Time is not an issue.
We could not afford Exchange Server.
We could use Web Mail - this is in fact the ISP's recommended use.

I have actually set it up OK for about 10 of the users but as I said it is a
real pain to do the set up.

0
amg51 (10)
11/18/2003 6:29:47 PM

     ----- A M Ginsberg wrote: -----

     Microsoft may say they do not recommend it - but in fact there are KB
     articles which in fact tell you how to move your PST file to another
     location - including a network drive.
     In fact it works quite fine - you need to keep it out of the Profile so that
     it is not transferred back and forth.

I would like to know what KB article??
0
anonymous (74721)

xp no boot menu no key board option
My friend's parents have asked me to "fix their computer" I think the only problem is: I need to re-install XP and drivers. The only problem with that is I cannot get to the boot menu. On start up, the screen goes blank and goes to the "megatrends" screen where it tells you the status of your HD and stuff. I tried ps2 and usb keyboards but i cannot get to the boot menu. Both keyboards I was using have led lights but they never turn on I checked connections and all were fastened properly. thanks for reading -- namflow44 -------------------------...

Outlook with Outlook Express ?

Questing about exchange 2000 server
My company recently had it's T1 internet connection cut so therefore, our exchange 2000 server couldn't receive email. We spoke to another company, X, that agreed to let us dial in, using an ISDN line, to their system to grab a static ip. They've called up our registrar, Network Solutions ,and added two of their own nameservers. They've also assigned 10 mail.x.com as the mx record. So now, all our mails goes to their linux email server, where spam and virus filtering takes place, then gets forwarded to our exchange 2000 server. We are now getting a T1 line from verizon wit...

How to become Administrator of a usergroup (Windows XP sp 2)
In my office we have 6 computers which are connected by a Hub. I have created a user group call "CECILIYAN". I have connected internet one port of that hub. So any one can access to Internet in that group. Now I want to make my PC as the Administrator of this user group. And I should be able to control other PCs by blocking USB Pen drives & Internet Access & other things. Please let me know how to do it. Is there any third party tool or registry editing or any way to control that things Thank you. On 7/17/2010 9:58 AM, Booli wrote: > In my office we have 6 co...

Outlook freezes up

Outlook Contacts 05-25-07

Outlook & Entourage

Opening Outlook

Move Form to edge of chart window
I am using some vba in excel to display different forms in different sheets. Workbook has one data entry sheet with a dedicated form. This I manage to select as I have info on the screen resolution even if it changes and by selecting a particlar cell I manage to move this form relative to this cell. The problem is that I have 2 other sheets that are both chart windows. For each chart window I have a dedicated form that shows up whenever I switch to that particular sheet. My problem lies witht the positioning of these 2 forms, since that chart windows have no cells to refer ...

SOP Sales Transaction Entry Window
Dear Folks, I have noticed that i couldn't choose/select a salesman Id from Sales Transaction Entry Window (Transactions-> Sales -> Sales Transaction Entry). In my case for every Invoice i have to select a Diffierent Sales man ID. Could any one help me how can i enable this. BUT IT IS AVAILABLE IN Transaction Entry Window which we use without inventory module (Transactions-> Sales -> Transaction Entry Window) Awaiting for your favourable feedback. You can find that field by clicking on the customer number expansion button to the right of the customer number field. Thi...

gridlines in outlook?

can't create rules in outlook

outlook 2002

select name box freezes Outlook

outlook and links in emails

Outlook XP and attachments

Exchange 2010, Outlook 2003

Outlook 2007

outlook #180
How do I set reminders (one week in advance) for birthdays or other events? Thank you, in advance, to anyone that can answer this question. In the reminders box, enter 1w for one week or 7d. --� Milly Staples [MVP - Outlook] Post all replies to the group to keep the discussion intact. Due to the (insert latest virus name here) virus, all mail sent to my personal account will be deleted without reading. After searching google.groups.com and finding no answer, Harvey asked: | How do I set reminders (one week in advance) for | birthdays or other events? | | Thank you, in advance, to anyo...