Outloo 2003 pst file finding?

When I 1st open Outlook 2003 can I press a key to force it to "browse" for a
pst file?

0
JDS

Huh? Can you rephrase your Question. Are you looking for the pst files or are you
looking for a single email as the pst. Very hard to understand what exactly you are
looking for and how

--
Peter

"JDS" <noway@notnow.net> wrote in message
> When I 1st open Outlook 2003 can I press a key to force it to "browse" for a pst
> file?

0
Peter
12/12/2009 8:30:38 PM
I have an outlook.pst file on my pc, copied from another pc.  I just
installed outlook and I was hoping that when I started it up, rather than it
just creating its own new outlook.pst file, I could point it to the file a
copied over.  I know some programs have the option of holding down a key at
start up so you can browse to the data file.

> Huh? Can you rephrase your Question. Are you looking for the pst files or
> are you looking for a single email as the pst. Very hard to understand
> what exactly you are looking for and how
>
> --
> Peter

> "JDS" <noway@notnow.net> wrote in message
>> When I 1st open Outlook 2003 can I press a key to force it to "browse"
>> for a pst file?

0
JDS
12/12/2009 9:39:07 PM
Outlook 2003 and 2007 always create a new PST file once you install and
configure them for an Internet Mail Account. Only Outlook 2010 will provide
an option to choose an existing PST file before it creates another.
If you already configured a profile with an account, you will have a new PST
file which, of course, you don't need. Just open the PST file you'd rather
use, set it as your default, restart Outlook, and then you can close the new
PST file you never needed in the first place.
Outlook always thinks it knows better than you do. Sadly, it never does.
--
Russ Valentine

>I have an outlook.pst file on my pc, copied from another pc.  I just
>installed outlook and I was hoping that when I started it up, rather than
>it just creating its own new outlook.pst file, I could point it to the file
>a copied over.  I know some programs have the option of holding down a key
>at start up so you can browse to the data file.
>
> "Peter Foldes" <okf22@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>> Huh? Can you rephrase your Question. Are you looking for the pst files or
>> are you looking for a single email as the pst. Very hard to understand
>> what exactly you are looking for and how
>>
>> --
>> Peter

>> "JDS" <noway@notnow.net> wrote in message
>>> When I 1st open Outlook 2003 can I press a key to force it to "browse"
>>> for a pst file?

0
Russ
12/12/2009 10:23:59 PM
Actually maybe I should just ask for directions on how to set up Outlook on
new PC and get it to use the old pst file I've copied over and eliminate the
default pst it created when first started.  I see both listed in the Data
File Management listing but I'm not sure I should delete the file I don't
want to use.  I also see  a McAfee Spam folder under the Inbox in the
Personal Folder Inbox that I don't want to use.

Also, I have no Contacts showing in an email address look up although I can
see them in the Contacts view.

"JDS" <noway@notnow.net> wrote in message
> I have an outlook.pst file on my pc, copied from another pc.  I just
> installed outlook and I was hoping that when I started it up, rather than
> it just creating its own new outlook.pst file, I could point it to the
> file a copied over.  I know some programs have the option of holding down
> a key at start up so you can browse to the data file.
>
> "Peter Foldes" <okf22@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>> Huh? Can you rephrase your Question. Are you looking for the pst files or
>> are you looking for a single email as the pst. Very hard to understand
>> what exactly you are looking for and how
>>
>> --
>> Peter

>> "JDS" <noway@notnow.net> wrote in message
>>> When I 1st open Outlook 2003 can I press a key to force it to "browse"
>>> for a pst file?

0
JDS
12/12/2009 10:27:18 PM
LOL - I don't feel so bad now knowing that Outlook tries to outsmart
everyone!  Thanks.

I've got it all set up now but I don't see where/how to set the file I want
as the default?

> Russ Valentine" <russval@mvps.org> wrote in message
> Outlook 2003 and 2007 always create a new PST file once you install and
> configure them for an Internet Mail Account. Only Outlook 2010 will
> provide an option to choose an existing PST file before it creates
> another.
> If you already configured a profile with an account, you will have a new
> PST file which, of course, you don't need. Just open the PST file you'd
> rather use, set it as your default, restart Outlook, and then you can
> close the new PST file you never needed in the first place.
> Outlook always thinks it knows better than you do. Sadly, it never does.
> --
> Russ Valentine
>

> "JDS" <noway@notnow.net> wrote in message
>>I have an outlook.pst file on my pc, copied from another pc.  I just
>>installed outlook and I was hoping that when I started it up, rather than
>>it just creating its own new outlook.pst file, I could point it to the
>>file a copied over.  I know some programs have the option of holding down
>>a key at start up so you can browse to the data file.
>>
>> "Peter Foldes" <okf22@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>>> Huh? Can you rephrase your Question. Are you looking for the pst files
>>> or are you looking for a single email as the pst. Very hard to
>>> understand what exactly you are looking for and how
>>>
>>> --
>>> Peter
>>>
>>> Please Reply to Newsgroup for the benefit of others
>>> Requests for assistance by email can not and will not be acknowledged.
>>>
>>> "JDS" <noway@notnow.net> wrote in message

0
JDS
12/12/2009 10:41:58 PM
Outlook 2003 is ancient history. As I recall it's in the Tools > Email
Accounts... dialog. It can't be that hard to find. You can also find it in
File > Data File Management...
You'll also need to reset the Outlook Address Book Service if you intend to
use it:
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;287563&Product=ol2002

--
Russ Valentine
> LOL - I don't feel so bad now knowing that Outlook tries to outsmart
> everyone!  Thanks.
>
> I've got it all set up now but I don't see where/how to set the file I
> want as the default?
>
>> Russ Valentine" <russval@mvps.org> wrote in message
>> Outlook 2003 and 2007 always create a new PST file once you install and
>> configure them for an Internet Mail Account. Only Outlook 2010 will
>> provide an option to choose an existing PST file before it creates
>> another.
>> If you already configured a profile with an account, you will have a new
>> PST file which, of course, you don't need. Just open the PST file you'd
>> rather use, set it as your default, restart Outlook, and then you can
>> close the new PST file you never needed in the first place.
>> Outlook always thinks it knows better than you do. Sadly, it never does.
>> --
>> Russ Valentine
>>

>> "JDS" <noway@notnow.net> wrote in message
>>>I have an outlook.pst file on my pc, copied from another pc.  I just
>>>installed outlook and I was hoping that when I started it up, rather than
>>>it just creating its own new outlook.pst file, I could point it to the
>>>file a copied over.  I know some programs have the option of holding down
>>>a key at start up so you can browse to the data file.
>>>
>>> "Peter Foldes" <okf22@hotmail.com> wrote in message

0
Russ
12/12/2009 10:57:13 PM
Hmmmmm...feeling dumb again.  I can access the data file management control
panel but I sure don't see anything about setting 1 or the other as default.
Any ideas?

> Outlook 2003 is ancient history. As I recall it's in the Tools > Email
> Accounts... dialog. It can't be that hard to find. You can also find it in
> File > Data File Management...
> You'll also need to reset the Outlook Address Book Service if you intend
> to use it:
> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;287563&Product=ol2002
>
> --
> Russ Valentine
> "JDS" <noway@notnow.net> wrote in message
>> LOL - I don't feel so bad now knowing that Outlook tries to outsmart
>> everyone!  Thanks.
>>
>> I've got it all set up now but I don't see where/how to set the file I
>> want as the default?
>>
>>> Russ Valentine" <russval@mvps.org> wrote in message
>>> Outlook 2003 and 2007 always create a new PST file once you install and
>>> configure them for an Internet Mail Account. Only Outlook 2010 will
>>> provide an option to choose an existing PST file before it creates
>>> another.
>>> If you already configured a profile with an account, you will have a new
>>> PST file which, of course, you don't need. Just open the PST file you'd
>>> rather use, set it as your default, restart Outlook, and then you can
>>> close the new PST file you never needed in the first place.
>>> Outlook always thinks it knows better than you do. Sadly, it never does.
>>> --
>>> Russ Valentine
>>>

>>> "JDS" <noway@notnow.net> wrote in message

0
JDS
12/12/2009 11:13:36 PM
JDS wrote:

> When I 1st open Outlook 2003 can I press a key to force it to "browse" for a
> pst file?

Sure.  Rename the current .pst file that the mail profile in Outlook is
using, like to <file>.old_pst.  Then load Outlook.  It won't find the .pst
by the filename it was previously told and lets you go find a .pst file.

(I haven't done this in many years but recall that's how you get Outlook to
prompt and go hunting for a .pst file.)
0
VanguardLH
12/13/2009 2:10:06 AM
Data Files Tab > Set as Default
You can't miss it.

--
Russ Valentine
> Hmmmmm...feeling dumb again.  I can access the data file management
> control panel but I sure don't see anything about setting 1 or the other
> as default. Any ideas?
>
> "Russ Valentine" <russval@mvps.org> wrote in message
>> Outlook 2003 is ancient history. As I recall it's in the Tools > Email
>> Accounts... dialog. It can't be that hard to find. You can also find it
>> in File > Data File Management...
>> You'll also need to reset the Outlook Address Book Service if you intend
>> to use it:
>> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;287563&Product=ol2002
>>
>> --
>> Russ Valentine
>> "JDS" <noway@notnow.net> wrote in message
>>> LOL - I don't feel so bad now knowing that Outlook tries to outsmart
>>> everyone!  Thanks.
>>>
>>> I've got it all set up now but I don't see where/how to set the file I
>>> want as the default?

0
Russ
12/13/2009 3:38:50 AM
I must be looking in the wrong place.  File > Data File Mgmt.... No such tab
anywhere in that window.  Am I looking in the wrong place?

> Data Files Tab > Set as Default
> You can't miss it.
>
> --
> Russ Valentine
> "JDS" <noway@notnow.net> wrote in message
>> Hmmmmm...feeling dumb again.  I can access the data file management
>> control panel but I sure don't see anything about setting 1 or the other
>> as default. Any ideas?
>>
>> "Russ Valentine" <russval@mvps.org> wrote in message
>>> Outlook 2003 is ancient history. As I recall it's in the Tools > Email
>>> Accounts... dialog. It can't be that hard to find. You can also find it
>>> in File > Data File Management...
>>> You'll also need to reset the Outlook Address Book Service if you intend
>>> to use it:
>>> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;287563&Product=ol2002
>>>
>>> --
>>> Russ Valentine
>>> "JDS" <noway@notnow.net> wrote in message

0
JDS
12/13/2009 4:28:22 AM
Yes.

Tools > Account Settings

Data Files tab

Select pst then Set As Default.
0
John
12/13/2009 7:22:37 AM
Don't think that's right for Outlook 2003.
I'll have to boot up an ancient partition to check. I still think it's in
Tools > Email Accounts...

--
Russ Valentine
"John Waller" <johnw@pinnacleweb.com.au> wrote in message
> Yes.
>
> Tools > Account Settings
>
> Data Files tab
>
> Select pst then Set As Default.

0
Russ
12/13/2009 12:06:28 PM
I was right the first time.
Tools > E-mail Accounts > View or change existing email accounts > Deliver
new e-mail to the following location:
--
Russ Valentine
"John Waller" <johnw@pinnacleweb.com.au> wrote in message
> Yes.
>
> Tools > Account Settings
>
> Data Files tab
>
> Select pst then Set As Default.

0
Russ
12/13/2009 12:21:16 PM
It is, but it isn't a supported method.
--
Russ Valentine
> JDS wrote:
>
>> When I 1st open Outlook 2003 can I press a key to force it to "browse"
>> for a
>> pst file?
>
> Sure.  Rename the current .pst file that the mail profile in Outlook is
> using, like to <file>.old_pst.  Then load Outlook.  It won't find the .pst
> by the filename it was previously told and lets you go find a .pst file.
>
> (I haven't done this in many years but recall that's how you get Outlook
> prompt and go hunting for a .pst file.)

0
Russ

Outloo Styles
Hi there, Has anybody come across the problem whereby Outlook displays a red cross in place of where the different Outlook styles should be? Thank you & Regards Frank P. (Australia ...

Adding Windows 7 64 bit Print Driver to Server 2003 32 bit
I am working on a projct to add a dozen Windows 7 64 bit HP Printer and Copier print drivers to a Server 2003 32 bit print server. All of these network printers have existing TCPIP addresses on the network and the TCPIP Ports are defined on the server. This is what I tried - Selected Add Printer; Chose Local Printer without Auto detect; chose the existing IP Address and Port as the Win XP 32 Bit driver; selected Have Disk; selected the new Win 7 64 bit driver, provide a new driver name and printer driver share name, the driver looks like it will install as it loads the files,...

Switch from Outlook Express to Outlook 2002/2003
MS gurus, My home desktop came loaded with Outlook Express and Outlook 2002. For some reason we have been using Outlook Express (Comcast is my email service provider) and I would much rather start using Outlook 2002/2003 to take advantage of the robust calendar and contacts functions. FYI - I can open up Outlook 2002 in my desktop but it won't recognize any incoming email messages. Therefore, my question is: How do I set up Outlook 2002 to accept incoming email messages.and "turn off" Outlook Express in the process. Many Thanks!! -Ted teddybgame@hotmail.com Outlo...

Pivot Tables
....On one spreadsheet, I'm collating raw data each month about members of staff who use our company eLearning portal: name, subject, time spent. I've then created a Pivot Table on another sheet which fits the bill, except in one respect. I've added a comment in the employee name cell if they pass the course. When I refresh the Pivot Table monthly, it isn't in A-Z order (i.e. new employees are added to the bottom). If I re-sort using the A-Z button, any comments remain absolute instead of moving relatively with the employee name. Any way round this or am I updating the P...

DNS Problem in ESM 2003
Hi Everyone, I have an Exchange 2003 server that is currently not sending emails that are directed at certain Universal email distribution groups. The messages get stuck in the queue in ESM, in the Deleted Objects folder. The message in there states that it is "Unable to bind to the destination server in DNS" even though this email is only being sent internally. I have message tracking turned on and found that the message gets categorized and queued for remote delivery. I checked the SMTP virtual server to see if the problem was external dns settings, but there was none. This s...

Mailbox "send as" rights in exchange 2003
When you give users "send as" rights to a exchange 2003 mailbox and these users reply to an email in the target users mailbox the email sent goes into the users mailbox who is doing the replying/"sending as" not the mailbox itself. IS there a way to get the mail to go the sent items of the mailbox owner not the user who is "sending as" sent items. Hi, have a look on: http://www.lucatec.de/mask This could be a nice solution for you. It is a small utility which automates certain routine tasks if you're working with a Microsoft Exchange Server and have se...

Outlook 2003 and Vista
Outlook 2003 is converting all HTML emails received to plain text. I has seem this issue posted before, but no solutions have been suggested. Do anyone know of a fix. I have had to resort to using Windows Mails to read my emails. Rick, Choose Options from the Tools drop down menu, then click Preferences. Click E-Mail Options, and then un-select the Read All standard mail in plain text check box. Courtesy Outlook 2003 Help! The F1 key never broke anything! "Rick Zangari" <rzangari@cogeco.ca> wrote in message news:e53OkbOhHHA.2332@TK2MSFTNGP04.phx.gbl... > Outlook 2003 ...

How to find/replace data in column
Hi, In Excel I have a column of 0's as text and I want to change the whole column to 1 but still as text. How can I do this? I tried a find/replace, but the 1 was entered as a number not as text. Thanks Rock Select the range format|Cells|number tab choose Text Type 1 hit ctrl-enter to fill those cells with text 1. Rock wrote: > > Hi, > > In Excel I have a column of 0's as text and I want to change the whole > column to 1 but still as text. > > How can I do this? > > I tried a find/replace, but the 1 was entered as a number not as text. > > ...

Recover Deleted Public Folder in Exchange 2003 with Outlook 2003
Help! I have full admin rights and when I try to recover a deleted public folder it looks like it's working but then I get this error, "Outlook was unable to recover some or all of the items in this folder. Make sure you have the required permissions to recover items in this folder, and try again. If the problem persists, contact your administrator." Mindy are you an owner of the folder AND the parent folder? is it a top-level folder? do you have permissions to create top-level folders? "Mindy" <Mindy@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:3D91...

extract text from html files
okay, I have a file in microsoft excel. I have a column in there for a description. However, my resource of all the descriptions are in html files. All that is in the file is the description., I also need to be able to match up either the name of the html file or one of the numbers in the html file to a catalog number in excel so that the right description gets put on the same line as the item. The title of the html file is the same as the item # inside the html file. Is there anyway to pull the text out of the html files, with still keeping the model # or whatever in excel? (i.e. file numbe...

OWA 2003 and SSL Security Vulnerability
Hello-- I'm hoping you can provide some direction. We currently are running Exchange 2003 Enterprise with an OWA server in the DMZ. Yes.. I know best practices recommend routing this traffic through an ISA server. There is a trusted SSL certificate on the server and we have many mobile device users. Anyway, on a recent scan, we received the following security notice. SSLv2 Supported This SSL service supports SSLv2 connections. SSLv2 has known cryptographic weaknesses. Secure web applications should only enable the SSLv3 or TLSv1 protocols. For PCI compliance validation scans, note that ...

CFile (same file used by many application)
I have opened file using this syntax: BOOL ok = f.Open(fileName, CFile::modeCreate | CFile::modeWrite | CFile::modeRead | CFile::shareDenyNone); but MSXML complains that file is already used by another process. :( Can both apps (mine and MSXML's load() method) open the same file at the same time? I thought I should specify CFile::shareDenyNone for this? :( Yes, two applications can open the same file at the same time as long as the correct permissions are used. You can use shareDenyNone but if the other program opens the file exclusively first, then it won't work. Usually, w...

Exhange 2003 SystemMailbox
Hi, We are using SBS 2003 (with latest patches) and Exchange 2003. When I look at the SystemMailbox with the Exchange manager, I find a large number of elements present. Is it possible to consult the contents of the SystemMailbox? What is stored there (emission reception errors)? Leonard MOR (same posting with object - sorry) The SystemMailbox will always have some items in it. My little old E2K3 test server's SystemMailbox on the 361KB of data and 401 items (I believe that is the default). If you see more items than in that mailbox, they probably belong there. Things such ...

fwrite a hidden file
hi all~ now i try to use "fgets" and "fwrite" to read and modify a file but if i set the file hidden i would get error message "Microsoft Visual Studio C Runtime Library has detected a fatal error in *.exe" code: FILE* file; char data[512]; CString content[128]; int row=0; file = fopen("C:\\text.txt", "rt"); while( fgets(data, 512, file) != NULL ) { content[row++].Format("%s", data); } fclose(file); if( content[row-1].Find( " /noguiboot /bootlogo" ) != -1 ) { content[row-1].Replace(" /noguiboot /bootlogo"...

How do I cut closely in 2003
In Pub 2000 you used to be able to press an icon and it would give you loads of points aroung a picture, so you could then cut it and remove backgrounds or if you wanted to no have it so rigid around the edges, I now have Pub 2003 and I cannot seem to get this all I can get it a square crop Can anyone help? Place your cursor anywhere on the edge of the image, click and a new point will automatically be created. -- Mary Sauer MSFT MVP http://office.microsoft.com/ http://msauer.mvps.org/ news://msnews.microsoft.com "tessywessy" <tessywessy@discussions.microsoft.com> wro...

Exchange 2003 Settings for Entourage Kerberos Authentication
Does anyone know the Exchange settings (Exchange 2003) we need to enable to ensure Kerberos and Entourage work effectively? We can change to Kerberos authentication in the Account settings OK (see exception below), but when we try to access Public folders and the Directory Services (GAL), the access is denied. The error returned when we try to access Directory Services is: http error. Access to the resource has not been authorized. The error returned when we try to access Public Folders is: This exchange server does not use Kerberos authentication. Click OK to turn off Kerbe...

pst file too big
Tried to open my Outlook today and it refused to open. Went in and removed the personal file folder (pst) and it worked fine. Trouble is that that pst file is too big (is over 150 mbyte. I can reduce it but Outlook won't let me open it to do that. Any ideas how I can open it? Hi, Actually speaking 150 MB is really not too big for the PST file. You can probably try searching for the Inbox Repair Tool ( scanpst.exe ) and then try repairing the PST file. Regards, Sudharson.AN "Rich Flight" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:0ea701c3fb52$1b...

send as permission in exchange 2003
I have a windows server 2003 with a exchange server 2003 On the mailbox of user A I'd give permission to user B the send as permission, but it doesn't work. Outlook tells me I don't have the permission to send mail as user A. Am I doing something wrong??? Thx Are you looking to impersonate User A or just send email on their behalf (like an assistant might do when organizing a meeting for their boss). If you want to send on behalf, follow these steps: 1) Open User A's properties in "Active Directory Users and Computers" 2) Go to the "Exchange General" tab ...

Cannot email large PDF file
Trying to email a large (195MB) PDF file but get the error message that there is not enough memory. Any ideas please? Thanks Jeff "Efremis" <Efremis@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:C3DBF2BF-A9A7-48F3-8EC9-B77B0CE5CF70@microsoft.com... > Trying to email a large (195MB) PDF file but get the error message that > there > is not enough memory. Any ideas please? > Thanks > Jeff Most ISP's operate with a maximum sending size, some allow as high as 20MB, mostly 5 or 10MB, but none that I am aware of allow anything remotely near ...

Office 2003, crashes
Hi, I have a problem with Excel 2003. If I make linking between another worksheets in a workbook or when I try to link from other worksheets in formula does application excel.exe to crash. see sample ( formula in cell =+':\Document_2009\FII_Financ\2009\PDC\[calculation_pdc_2009.xls]Oct'!$BW$8) The error messages on my computer is following: Faulting application excel.exe, version 11.0.8316.0, stamp 4ace3b8f, faulting module excel.exe, version 11.0.8316.0, stamp 4ace3b8f, ,fDebug: 0, Offset: 001cb5c9 (PC DELL OPTIFLEX 170 - Windows XP ver.2002, SP3 Intel Pentium ...

Outlook 2003 Lotus Notes
Does anyone know where I can download the Outlook 2003 Lotus Notes Connector? ...

Migrating from Exch 5.5 to 2003
We have upgraded our network to A/D in Mixed mode, although we have no BDCs on our network. Our Exchange 5.5 is running on a Windows 2K Server. Our priv is 30GB/250 mailboxes. What's the best and fastest method to migrate to Exchange 2003 and remove our old Exchange server? Check out the Planning and Deployment guides on www.microsoft.com/exchange/library -- Cheers, Steve Antonio Microsoft Exchange Support This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights. Note: Please do not reply to this e-mail address. It is used for newsgroup purposes only. &...

outlook 2003 #291
i have been online with my server to get Outlook 2003 running so I know the incoming/outgoing information is correct. The problem is I cannot receive or send. When I open outlook I get a message as follows: outlvba.dll is not a valid office add-in. Then I get an error message as follows: Internet Explorer Script Error Line: 28 Char: 1 Error Class not registered Code: 0 URL: outlook.today I have tried fixing the dll with "free" trials of mighty max and registry fix but ultimately they want $$. Can anyone help me should I just scrap it and go with outlook express? I hate to d...

Importing from Outloo 2007
Hi! 20 May The boss finally had it with Office 2007, and wants Outlook Express back. Windows mail has slightly less functionality( address book folders etc). So I have shifted him to XP SP3 Can someone guide me on how to import from the existing .pst on Vista/Outlook2007 to Outlook Express? I have installed Office2007 on the new PC , as I heard that Outlook2007 needs to be present on the OE machine for the import of messages to be successful. Will un-instal it after the job is done Mohan -- Message posted via http://www.officekb.com "bnmohan via OfficeKB.com...

big file 2
Hi This doesn't seem to be the answer as i did delete all unused cells. I also tried the format cleaner but still the same problem...... End cell fine! Tahnks Jo "Alan" wrote: > You need to find the last used cell im the file then if for instance the > last used cell is AY954, in the name box enter 955:65536 > Enter, right > click and hit Delete, then in the namebox enter AZ:IV > Enter, right > clickand hit Delete. Save the file and check the size now, > Regards, > "Jo" <Jo@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message > news:DFCB9...