Opening up a Word doc; Retrieving Outlook Email Messages

 I want to open up a microsoft word document, however when I choose "file"
"open" it only opens up a grey word doc without the text showing up in the
doc, even though I have plenty of disc space, and tried "system restore",
also tried a "full-system scan" and no viruses were found.  A message
dialogue box use to pop up when I tried to open the doc which said: "Check
the file permissions for the document drive" - how do I do that? It also
said: "Make sure there is sufficient free memory" How?  and lastly it said:
"Open the file with the text recovery converter" Tried this but it did not
open up.  So I went to the help window and it said: "If the file does not
open, it is either corrupt, locked by another application or is protected by
file permissions."  How can I tell this.  The disc is new, with just a few
docs on it, and when I put it on another new disc it still did not open up,
there are not any viruses or anyone else that uses this computer.  So what is
the problem and the solution.  Can you answer the questions listed one at a
time.  By the way the computer is slow in opening up docs though I have
plenty of free space, and have taken a lot off the computer through back up
system, etc.  Thank you in advance if you can answer these questions.

--
jeansau
0

I think you actually want to ask this question in the
microsoft.public.word.newusers newsgroup - this group is for Microsoft
Outlook.  When you post your question over there be sure to specify what
version of Microsoft Word you're using and what operating system (Windows
XP, Vista, etc.) you're running it on.

That said if you go to File | Open, find the file in question and rather
than opening it right-click on it and choose "Properties" you should be able
to see a checkbox that specifies if the file is Read Only or not.

--
-Ben-
Ben M. Schorr, MVP

"jeansau" <jackysaun@netzero.com(donotspam)> wrote in message
> I want to open up a microsoft word document, however when I choose "file"
> "open" it only opens up a grey word doc without the text showing up in the
> doc, even though I have plenty of disc space, and tried "system restore",
> also tried a "full-system scan" and no viruses were found.  A message
> dialogue box use to pop up when I tried to open the doc which said: "Check
> the file permissions for the document drive" - how do I do that? It also
> said: "Make sure there is sufficient free memory" How?  and lastly it
> said:
> "Open the file with the text recovery converter" Tried this but it did not
> open up.  So I went to the help window and it said: "If the file does not
> open, it is either corrupt, locked by another application or is protected
> by
> file permissions."  How can I tell this.  The disc is new, with just a few
> docs on it, and when I put it on another new disc it still did not open
> up,
> there are not any viruses or anyone else that uses this computer.  So what
> is
> the problem and the solution.  Can you answer the questions listed one at
> time.  By the way the computer is slow in opening up docs though I have
> plenty of free space, and have taken a lot off the computer through back
> up
> system, etc.  Thank you in advance if you can answer these questions.
>
> --
> jeansau

0
bens1 (1425)

Outlook will not connect
I have just purchased a new HP computer with Vista and also Office 2007. I cannot get Outlook to work. Upon clicking on the icon I get a blue page with the message “The connection to Microsoft Exchange is unavailable. Outlook must be online or connected to complete this action.” Then a popup asking for server and mailbox info. I have filled this in and pressed ok. I get a message- “Cannot open your default email folders. The file C:\Users\Joseph\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Outlook.ost is not a offline folder file.” I can get no help online or anywhere else. Can you help? Many thanks, Jo...

Hyperlinks and outlook
Everytime I press a hyperlink, outlook express starts, but I want outlook 2000 to start instead, how do I change that? I already changed it on the control panel + internet options, and have it pointing to outlook 2000 but still launches outlook express. Any ideas? See if the tip in the first highlighted section of the following article works for you: http://www.slipstick.com/config/defaultmailer.htm -- Jocelyn Fiorello MVP - Outlook *** Messages sent to my e-mail address will NOT be answered -- please reply only to the newsgroup to preserve the message thread. *** In news:8S5Ab.14154$...

audio notes in Word Notebook
I have recorded an audio file using Word Notebook. I would like to send the audio file to co-workers but they cannot seem to open it. Any ideas Are your co-workers using Word 2004? Only Word 2004 can open documents in Notebook Layout view and use the special features like audio, I think. However, you could use Tools | Audio Notes | Export audio to get just the audio file out, I think it comes out as an .mp4 Then send that around, it should be a standard format that most any audio program can play, far as I know. On 9/14/06 11:09 AM, "healy@parentchoice.org" wrote: > I h...

Delete emails in autocomplete
How do I delete emails which continue to show up in the autocomplete in outlook 2003? Posted here almost daily. Remove individual addresses from the autocompletion cache by highlighting the entry when presented in the suggested names list (use your arrow key to migrate to the entry) and then hitting your Delete key before you tab out of the field. To clear the entire cache, follow the instructions here: http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;Q287623 -- Russ Valentine [MVP-Outlook] "Grumpy" <jbanton@sbcglobal.net> wrote in message news:9B7F7C07-A290-4...

Junk Email
I've noticed that our exchange server receives spam email for users that do not exist within our company ie. dave@domain.com. Is there any filter I can apply in exchange that will automatically delete emails that are sent to users that do not exist? Thanks Simon Microsoft provides the IMF Intelligent Massage Filter for Exchange 2003. This filter learns gradually about spam and performs actions described by the admin. for prior exchange versions try third party softwares like 1.Brightmail(www.brightmail.com) 2.SpamMarshall(www.spammarshall.com) These products are anti-spams and filter...

email attachments 12-02-04
I'm unable to attach in photos, orshare any using msn9, but can open explorer and do that from there. It says its been blocked. How do I unblock this. I have to stop and open IE to send anyphotos what so ever. ...

Outlook 2000 won't start
After fighting spyware for 2 days last week, Outlook 2K has stopped running on a Win2K machine. I can see the calendar & appointments when starting, but an immediate error pops up that says "Operation Failed" then the program crashes. We've tried the inbox repair tool (no problems found), uninstalling and reinstalling Outlook, command line Outlook safe mode. It still won't start. Possibly related problem: in Control Panel | Mail... we can't pull up the profile. When Mail is clicked, nothing happens, so we can't edit, delete or add a profile. Any suggesti...

Blackberry Internet Email & Exch 2007
Greets... Have some Blackberrys that were using BB Internet Email connection. Worked fine with Exch. 2003. Now we upgraded to Exch. 2007 and Blackbery Internet Connection (via T-Mobile) gives us "Cannot connect to server". I think this is related to the old method of accessing via web: i.e. HTTPS:\\mail.company.com\exchange\username doesn't work the same under 2007. I've tried Https:\\mail.company.com\owa\username and that doesn't work either... Thanks, Cheesle Check out this link: http://www.blackberry.com/select/exchange2007/ cheers, Guga Varo Exchange Gr...

Publisher 2000

Outlook Calander #3
Does anybody know if there is a way to have Outlooks calendar display the month with "full squares" for Sat and Sun just like other days of the week in the month display mode. I have a lot going on the weekends. Having Sat/Sun as one "square" makes it difficult to read. I cannot see any way to do this from the buttons menu. I am using Office Outlook 2003. Thanks in advance right click on the calendar and choose other settings - untick the compress weekend days option. -- Diane Poremsky [MVP - Outlook] Author, Teach Yourself Outlook 2003 in 24 Hours Coauthor, OneNo...

Problem trying to open old money file

Conversion from Publisher to Word
Hi; Can anyone tell me how to convert a Publisher document to Word? I don't have Publisher and my girlfriend's resume was created in it. I tried using Word 2000 to change it, but didn't see any options in the pull down menu for Publisher. If you don't have Publisher, you are hosed. There are no other programs that will open a Publisher file. You need the same or later version of Publisher to open a Publisher file. There are no Publisher viewers for any version available. -- ...

opening links in outlook

Outlook Mail Editor Does Not Close When Outlook Closes
Config: WIN2K & Outlook 2K with latest service packs. Word is my email editor. When I close Outlook the WINWORD.EXE process continues to run. (There are no open email messages when I close Outlook.) If I subsequently open Word it will not to print because it says a default printer does not exist. If I stop the WINWORD.EXE process in the Task Manager before launching Word it prints fine. I couldn't find an applicable Knowledge Base article for this. Any help is greatly appreciated. Geary ...

Email with tiny attachments open slow

Receipts in Outlook 2003
Thanks in advance to anyone that can answer this. I set up Outlook to ask for a delivery receipt AND a read receipt. (Tools | Options | E-mail Options | Tracking Options | For all messages I send, request: (CHKBOX) Read Receipt/(CHKBOX) Delivery Receipt) I have a folder named "Receipts"in my Inbox, and two subfolders under "Receipts," "Delivery" and "Read." I have already created a rule for delivery receipts. I am having trouble composing a rule for read receipts. When I right-click on a delivery receipt, the "Create Rule..." selection is OK...

Word forces Save As when Saving
I have had this happen quite a few times since using Word 2007 (Office 2007 suite) over the last 1+ years . At some point while working in a Word document, I press Ctrl-S to save and instead of saving the doc as usually happens, the Save As dialog comes up and I am forced to save the document with another name. This is very, very frustrating and completely interrupts my workflow because after saving with a new name, I have to close the document, delete the original so I can rename the saved-as doc with the right name. This seems to happen when I've been working in the sam...

Outlook 2003 stops writing
when writing the text the keyboard seems to lose contact with the system and interrups writing for a few seconds. The marker disappears and there is no memory of the keys used. It happens both with the built-in keyboard on my laptop as well as when I use an externa keyboard. Vista Premium. -- gunsan That is more likely to be a problem with win, or your hardware "gunsan" <gunsan@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:4522D556-4482-4179-B34A-8B97BB8E7B3D@microsoft.com... > when writing the text the keyboard seems to lose contact with the system > and > ...

Need an open house sign in sheet

cannot open excel file from outlook

opening links