Opening an Outlook .pst file

After a power outage I could not open my outlook contacts, calendar or
e-mails or addressbook.
I have run a scan and a repair (twice)on the "Outlook.pst" file and each I
go to File>Open>Outlook Data File>Outlook.pst (which is 222Mb in size) still
no luck all I get in e-mails is "There are no items in this view".  The only
thing that opens  all is my old archived deleted items which while
interesting are not what I am looking for!
There are no other messages.I have not found an event log.Where do I do
that?
What can I do next?
Is there another way to open the file?
Can I save the file somewhere safe if I have to reinstall a) windows or b)
Outlook?
I get

0
dermot1 (45)

"singapore tom" <dermot@grove-white.com> wrote in message
> After a power outage I could not open my outlook contacts, calendar or
> e-mails or addressbook.
> I have run a scan and a repair (twice)on the "Outlook.pst" file and each I
> go to File>Open>Outlook Data File>Outlook.pst (which is 222Mb in size)
> still no luck all I get in e-mails is "There are no items in this view".
> The only thing that opens  all is my old archived deleted items which
> while interesting are not what I am looking for!
> There are no other messages.I have not found an event log.Where do I do
> that?

Does he have a view applied to his Inbox, such as "Unread Messages" or
perhaps a filter?

--
Aloha,

-Ben-
Ben M. Schorr, OneNote-MVP
Stockholm Consulting Group/KSG
http://www.scgab.com
Microsoft OneNote FAQ:
http://home.hawaii.rr.com/schorr/computers/onenotefaq.htm

Please post questions and replies here in the newsgroup.  Mahalo!

0
bms4961 (36)
12/15/2004 5:38:29 AM
Yes  I do  - all the views are empty
Dermot

"Ben M. Schorr - MVP OneNote" <bms@bogusaddress.mvp> wrote in message
> "singapore tom" <dermot@grove-white.com> wrote in message
>> After a power outage I could not open my outlook contacts, calendar or
>> e-mails or addressbook.
>> I have run a scan and a repair (twice)on the "Outlook.pst" file and each
>> I go to File>Open>Outlook Data File>Outlook.pst (which is 222Mb in size)
>> still no luck all I get in e-mails is "There are no items in this view".
>> The only thing that opens  all is my old archived deleted items which
>> while interesting are not what I am looking for!
>> There are no other messages.I have not found an event log.Where do I do
>> that?
>
> Does he have a view applied to his Inbox, such as "Unread Messages" or
> perhaps a filter?
>

> --
> Aloha,
>
> -Ben-
> Ben M. Schorr, OneNote-MVP
> Stockholm Consulting Group/KSG
> http://www.scgab.com
> Microsoft OneNote FAQ:
> http://home.hawaii.rr.com/schorr/computers/onenotefaq.htm
>
> **I apologize but I am unable to respond to direct requests for
> assistance. Please post questions and replies here in the newsgroup.
> Mahalo!

0
dermot1 (45)
12/15/2004 1:28:30 PM
singapore tom <dermot@grove-white.com> wrote:

> After a power outage I could not open my outlook contacts, calendar or
> e-mails or addressbook.
> I have run a scan and a repair (twice)on the "Outlook.pst" file and
> each I go to File>Open>Outlook Data File>Outlook.pst (which is 222Mb
> in size) still no luck all I get in e-mails is "There are no items in
> this view".

Sounds to me like the power glitch caused your PST to become corrupt beyond
the ability of scanpst to recover it.

> What can I do next?

Start over.

> Is there another way to open the file?

You're already using the correct method.

> Can I save the file somewhere safe if I have to reinstall a) windows
> or b) Outlook?

Sure.  A good PST can be copied to any folder or external medium that will
hold it.
--
Brian Tillman

0
tillman1952 (16052)
12/15/2004 2:30:40 PM
Thankyou I have saved a copy to my desk top for now.
When you say start over what do you mean? - Re-install Outlook / Windows
(ugh) ? or what. I have attempted everything else you suggested many times.

> singapore tom <dermot@grove-white.com> wrote:
>
>> After a power outage I could not open my outlook contacts, calendar or
>> e-mails or addressbook.
>> I have run a scan and a repair (twice)on the "Outlook.pst" file and
>> each I go to File>Open>Outlook Data File>Outlook.pst (which is 222Mb
>> in size) still no luck all I get in e-mails is "There are no items in
>> this view".
>
> Sounds to me like the power glitch caused your PST to become corrupt
> beyond the ability of scanpst to recover it.
>
>> What can I do next?
>
> Start over.
>
>> Is there another way to open the file?
>
> You're already using the correct method.
>
>> Can I save the file somewhere safe if I have to reinstall a) windows
>> or b) Outlook?
>
> Sure.  A good PST can be copied to any folder or external medium that will
> hold it.
> --
> Brian Tillman

0
dermot1 (45)
12/15/2004 3:53:17 PM
singapore tom <dermot@grove-white.com> wrote:

> When you say start over what do you mean? - Re-install Outlook /
> Windows (ugh) ? or what.

I mean resign yourself to the fact that your old mail is gone and start with
a fresh PST.
--
Brian Tillman

0
tillman1952 (16052)
12/15/2004 5:41:04 PM
I normally hot syn my palm pilot to Outlook and haven't done so since this
happened as I wanted to make sure I didn't loose my address book (contacts)
and calendar. I need to be sure Outlook will accept everything back. Is
there anything you can warn me about? Do I need to set up a new pst file? I
know I need to set my palm to over ride my Outlook. Essentially my mail is
the only thing I'll then be loosing.
In future how would I do a back to prevent this from being more
catastrophic.
Dermot

> singapore tom <dermot@grove-white.com> wrote:
>
>> When you say start over what do you mean? - Re-install Outlook /
>> Windows (ugh) ? or what.
>
> I mean resign yourself to the fact that your old mail is gone and start
> with a fresh PST.
> --
> Brian Tillman

0
dermot1 (45)
12/16/2004 12:00:20 AM
singapore tom <dermot@grove-white.com> wrote:

> I normally hot syn my palm pilot to Outlook and haven't done so since
> this happened as I wanted to make sure I didn't loose my address book
> (contacts) and calendar. I need to be sure Outlook will accept
> everything back.

Since you have a "backup" on your PDA, the first thing you should do is
DISABLE all syncing with the PDA and then cradle the PDA and make a backup
of it to your hard drive (does you sync program allow you back up your PDA
or do you have backup software of some kind for the PDA?) so that if things
don't work the way you want, you can restore the PDA and try again.

Then, set your sync to replace the desktop with the contents of the PDA and
sync only one the two folders.  If that works, then sync the other.  You
should then have all your contacts and calendar back.  Close Outlook and
make a copy of your PST for safekeeping.
--
Brian Tillman

0
tillman1952 (16052)
12/16/2004 2:42:35 PM
Thank you
What should I do with the existing PST files i.e. Outlook.pst (222Mb), and
Outlook1.pst (173Mb). Should I get  rid of them? Should I set up another
"empty" pst file so my hand held can fill it up?  I notice I have an
Outlook.bak file (also 222Mb) is this a back up and if so how can I access
it?

> singapore tom <dermot@grove-white.com> wrote:
>
>> I normally hot syn my palm pilot to Outlook and haven't done so since
>> this happened as I wanted to make sure I didn't loose my address book
>> (contacts) and calendar. I need to be sure Outlook will accept
>> everything back.
>
> Since you have a "backup" on your PDA, the first thing you should do is
> DISABLE all syncing with the PDA and then cradle the PDA and make a backup
> of it to your hard drive (does you sync program allow you back up your PDA
> or do you have backup software of some kind for the PDA?) so that if
> things don't work the way you want, you can restore the PDA and try again.
>
> Then, set your sync to replace the desktop with the contents of the PDA
> and sync only one the two folders.  If that works, then sync the other.
> You should then have all your contacts and calendar back.  Close Outlook
> and make a copy of your PST for safekeeping.
> --
> Brian Tillman

0
dermot1 (45)
12/16/2004 8:45:01 PM
singapore tom <dermot@grove-white.com> wrote:

> What should I do with the existing PST files i.e. Outlook.pst
> (222Mb), and Outlook1.pst (173Mb). Should I get  rid of them?

If you can't open them, they're worthless.  If I were in your shoes, I'd
delete them.

> Should I set up another "empty" pst file so my hand held can fill it up?

That's what I'd do.

> I notice I have an Outlook.bak file (also 222Mb) is this a back up and
> if so how can I access it?

Since the file type .bak has no special significance, you should know
whether or not it's a backup since you must have created it.  You can always
check, though.  Rename it to .pst and try to open it.  See what you get.
--
Brian Tillman

0
tillman1952 (16052)

Outlook will not connect
I have just purchased a new HP computer with Vista and also Office 2007. I cannot get Outlook to work. Upon clicking on the icon I get a blue page with the message “The connection to Microsoft Exchange is unavailable. Outlook must be online or connected to complete this action.” Then a popup asking for server and mailbox info. I have filled this in and pressed ok. I get a message- “Cannot open your default email folders. The file C:\Users\Joseph\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Outlook.ost is not a offline folder file.” I can get no help online or anywhere else. Can you help? Many thanks, Jo...

Hyperlinks and outlook
Everytime I press a hyperlink, outlook express starts, but I want outlook 2000 to start instead, how do I change that? I already changed it on the control panel + internet options, and have it pointing to outlook 2000 but still launches outlook express. Any ideas? See if the tip in the first highlighted section of the following article works for you: http://www.slipstick.com/config/defaultmailer.htm -- Jocelyn Fiorello MVP - Outlook *** Messages sent to my e-mail address will NOT be answered -- please reply only to the newsgroup to preserve the message thread. *** In news:8S5Ab.14154$...

Outlook 2000 won't start
After fighting spyware for 2 days last week, Outlook 2K has stopped running on a Win2K machine. I can see the calendar & appointments when starting, but an immediate error pops up that says "Operation Failed" then the program crashes. We've tried the inbox repair tool (no problems found), uninstalling and reinstalling Outlook, command line Outlook safe mode. It still won't start. Possibly related problem: in Control Panel | Mail... we can't pull up the profile. When Mail is clicked, nothing happens, so we can't edit, delete or add a profile. Any suggesti...

Publisher 2000

Outlook Calander #3
Does anybody know if there is a way to have Outlooks calendar display the month with "full squares" for Sat and Sun just like other days of the week in the month display mode. I have a lot going on the weekends. Having Sat/Sun as one "square" makes it difficult to read. I cannot see any way to do this from the buttons menu. I am using Office Outlook 2003. Thanks in advance right click on the calendar and choose other settings - untick the compress weekend days option. -- Diane Poremsky [MVP - Outlook] Author, Teach Yourself Outlook 2003 in 24 Hours Coauthor, OneNo...

Outlook Mail Editor Does Not Close When Outlook Closes
Config: WIN2K & Outlook 2K with latest service packs. Word is my email editor. When I close Outlook the WINWORD.EXE process continues to run. (There are no open email messages when I close Outlook.) If I subsequently open Word it will not to print because it says a default printer does not exist. If I stop the WINWORD.EXE process in the Task Manager before launching Word it prints fine. I couldn't find an applicable Knowledge Base article for this. Any help is greatly appreciated. Geary ...

opening links in outlook

Problem trying to open old money file

Outlook 2003 / No line wrapping
Hi, first of all: Couldn't find a solution after doing some googling. My problem is: Automatic line wraps don't happen. No, it's certainly not the "Remove extra line breaks" option being checked. I write my emails in plain/text, the only line breaks that appear in a message's source code are those inserted manually. The default setting of wrapping lines at 76 characters is set and I don't see any option to completely disable / enable line wrapping, so I'm a bit at a loss. Yes, it's definetly not a problem of the (different) MUAs used for viewing these em...

Email with tiny attachments open slow

Need an open house sign in sheet

Outlook 2003 stops writing
when writing the text the keyboard seems to lose contact with the system and interrups writing for a few seconds. The marker disappears and there is no memory of the keys used. It happens both with the built-in keyboard on my laptop as well as when I use an externa keyboard. Vista Premium. -- gunsan That is more likely to be a problem with win, or your hardware "gunsan" <gunsan@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:4522D556-4482-4179-B34A-8B97BB8E7B3D@microsoft.com... > when writing the text the keyboard seems to lose contact with the system > and > ...

SheetName (Application.Caller.Parent.Name) Forces Excel to Save File
I have a VBA function in Excel that I have been using for years that will display the sheet name in a cell. The VBA function is as follows: Function SheetName() As String Application.Volatile SheetName = Application.Caller.Parent.Name End Function This works great. However, I have found that if I am using this function if I open a worksheet and not change anything Excel will prompt me if I want to save the worksheet if I have not made any changes. Why is this happening and is there a way to prevent this from happening? Thanks, Mike The problem may be Application.Volitile If ...

cannot open excel file from outlook

Update complete excel file online
Dear all, Hope you can help me with this problem. An excel file is updated on a daily basis and can only be found on the internet. The basic format of this file is always the same, the only changing aspect is the data. How, or if even possible, could I implement something (e.g. a button?) which automatically implements the updated sheet from the Internet. I am really looking forward to hearing from you. Thanks a lot and best regards, ...

opening links

Outlook 2002 Spam Filter freeware?
I'm looking for Anti SPAM freeware/shareware, that acts as a plug-in to Outlook 2002 and deletes Spam from my email server, without downloading it to Outlook at all. Thus when running outlook it would interact with the Anti Spam software and receive only non-spam through it (subject to a learning process obviously!). Thanks in anticipation :) Google is your friend. However, that plug-in would not be an Outlook plug-in since Outlook has nothing to do with deleting from server prior to download, via rules or any other method. --� Milly Staples [MVP - Outlook] Post all replies t...

Best file recovery program?
I need a good file recovery program that will run both under Vista and Win 7. It needs to be able to salvage files both deleted and those lost because of disc errors. It also needs to be able to work with both internal and external hard discs, and all flavors of CD and DVD. Any recommendations? Most of the ones that allow you to download a trial have crippled to trial so much that it's really hard to judge them. Incidentally, I ran the free Recuva on a DVD-RW; I started it at 12:30 PM and at 5:30 AM (17 hours later) it showed 89% complete, and at 8:00 it had stopped with th...

Outlook Web Access #17
I am trying to have Outlook Web access run in IIS 6 on a Windows 2003 server. Half of the mailboxes in the company are on the message store on this Windows 2003 server and the other half are on another message store on another server. We have a web site where a use clicks on a link to go to http://192.168.42.7/exchange where 192.168.42.7 is the location of the Windows 2003 server. If a user's mailbox is on this server then the link works fine and they can see their mail. If the user is on the other server they get the error message page not found, dns error or server error. How...