Open E-mail Preview Pane Being Vulnerable to Viruses

I am having a debate with one of my IT techs where I work.

The company uses Outlook 2002.

When I open up Outlook, I have my Inbox set up so that I
have the Recipient pane (the From, Subject, Received &
Size pane)on top and the Preview Pane (NOT...the Auto
Preview pane)on the bottom.

Our IT tech is very nervous about this configuration and
believes that it makes our computers vulnerable to viruses
when Outlook is opened to that type of configuration.

Is that correct?

Thank you for any instruction on how to avoid acquiring
viruses when using Outlook 2002.

Terry

http://www.slipstick.com/emo/2004/up040430.htm#myths
http://www.slipstick.com/emo/2004/up040204.htm#preview
http://www.slipstick.com/outlook/antivirus.htm
http://ntbugtraq.ntadvice.com/default.asp?sid=1&pid=47&aid=56

You may want to use Chilton Preview (linked on the antivirus.htm page) to
appease the tech and prevent webbugs from being sent back - it can't render
HTML and if you need to see any messages in HTML, you can always open the
message or switch to the Outlook preview for that message.

FWIW, the place to stop viruses is at the mail server, not in Outlook. If
users aren't tempted by attachments, they won't open them. :) Also, don't
reduce Outlook's attachment security (again, the place to block attachments
is at server so you aren't tempted to reduce attachment security in
Outlook.) If the computers are kept updated, even Outlook 98's preview (the
least safe version) is safe.

--
Diane Poremsky [MVP - Outlook]

OneNote Tips: 1note-tips-subscribe-request@lists.outlooktips.net

"Terry" <katsailor38@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>I am having a debate with one of my IT techs where I work.
>
> The company uses Outlook 2002.
>
> When I open up Outlook, I have my Inbox set up so that I
> have the Recipient pane (the From, Subject, Received &
> Size pane)on top and the Preview Pane (NOT...the Auto
> Preview pane)on the bottom.
>
> Our IT tech is very nervous about this configuration and
> believes that it makes our computers vulnerable to viruses
> when Outlook is opened to that type of configuration.
>
> Is that correct?
>
> Thank you for any instruction on how to avoid acquiring
> viruses when using Outlook 2002.
>
> Terry

0
info2937 (567)

E-mails ending up in the right mailbox
Greetings. I have the office using Exchange 2003. I have a couple of users that need to be able to not only view another user's mailbox, but they also need to be able to send/receive e-mail for both users they monitor, and the mail needs to go to each mailbox respectively. For example, I have an Admin account that also has a mailbox for it. When I log into Admin, I open Outlook 97, and from there I also have Admin2's mailbox open as well. I can send e-mail as either Admin or Admin2, and all replies go to the appropriate mailbox, so that setup works great. I have another situation...

Encrypted e-mails
We have one of our customers whom requires all e-mails sent between our organization and theirs be encrypted. I have created Digital IDs for the users who deal with this customer. My question is the following: Is there a way to have a server based rule (Exchange Server 5.5) that will take an inbound encrypted message to one user and then forward it to another user (internal) without any encryption? Basically if one of our employees is out of the office we would like to be about to forward their e-mail to another employee. The issue is with the encrypted e-mail, the employee is not about t...

Send mail to secondary email address
Hello, Is it possible to send an email to the secondary email address of a CRM contact? If a customer wants a email from us to his business and private mail address, we do not want to create two contacts for that. Instead we would like to enter the private as secondary email address (3 mail fields are available out of the box) and put that in the CC. The problem is, that the mailaddres is "parsed" to the contact, so the mail gets to the primary again. Is there a way to force CRM to send to the primary and cc to the secondary (or even ONLY to the secondary?) What else would the se...

Publisher 2000

opening links in outlook

Outlook Mail Editor Does Not Close When Outlook Closes
Config: WIN2K & Outlook 2K with latest service packs. Word is my email editor. When I close Outlook the WINWORD.EXE process continues to run. (There are no open email messages when I close Outlook.) If I subsequently open Word it will not to print because it says a default printer does not exist. If I stop the WINWORD.EXE process in the Task Manager before launching Word it prints fine. I couldn't find an applicable Knowledge Base article for this. Any help is greatly appreciated. Geary ...

Problem trying to open old money file

looking for help in delaying the sending of e-mail...
....without using rules. What I'm trying to figure out, to little avail, is how to have e-mail that I've composed and am sending out held in the Outbox until I manually send it, as in by hitting F9. Microsoft insists on making me set up a rule, whereby I specify a set number of minutes it will stay in the Outbox before automatically sending it. But doing so this way prevents me from then going into the Outbox and overriding the rule by simply hitting F9. Do I have to resort to writing only drafts? Please help! What about just setting up Outlook not to automatically send/receiv...

Email with tiny attachments open slow

Need an open house sign in sheet

My windows Mail
When I hit "send / receive" in windows mail, (it just started today), I get a windows security box that says: logon to pop-server.socal.com "Please verify that both the user name and password are correct for your mail server." There are boxes for username and password. I put them in and hit "ok". I then get an error message: "account: 'pop-server.socal.rr.com',server:'pop-server.ca.rr.com',protocol:pop3,server response:'-ERR invalid username or pass word.'port:110, secure (SSL): no, server error: 0x800ccc90, error number...

how to refuse mails from invalid acount ?
Hi ! Every day, we received many spams messages. The message senders are inexistants users of our domain (for example, if we are owner of a domain called "domain.com", we can received spams from a user called "biddon@domain.com" althrought there is no user called biddon on our domain). It is possible to automaticaly refuse messages from users that does not exist on the "domain.com" domain ? We use exchange 5.5 Thank you. You have two options 1) If you know the intended recipients of the undeliverable inbound emails then you can create an empty DL and as...

cannot open excel file from outlook

opening links

Mail from Mac
We have a problem. I think our Exchage Server 5.5 delete the content of the mail sent from a Mac computer. Anyone who know why this happens?? ...

Can't see 100MB of mail
I have a user who started receiving mailbox over the size limit messages. I checked Exchange System manager and the mailbox was at 108MB which is indeed over our set limits. The user claimed that he had deleted everything from his mailbox. I opened an Outlook profile, checked folder size and it said his mailbox was < 1MB. I manually looked at all the folders and the mailbox did not have a lot of data in it. I moved the mailbox from one mail store to another on the same Exchange 2000 server, ESM still showed 108MB. I used exmerge on the mailbox and the resulting PST was < 1MB...

EXCEL Files open Slow

Directory Open
Hi, I would like to create a Button which opens a dialog box, not to open a file but to open a directory. How should I do it? I thought of using CFileDialog but it does not allow for opening just a directory and not a file. I just want to read in the user selection of directory and the file name will be set in my application. Thanks! On Wed, 17 Dec 2003 22:15:36 -0800, Dave wrote: > I would like to create a Button which opens a dialog box, > not to open a file but to open a directory. > > How should I do it? > I thought of using CFileDialog but it does not allow for ...

E-mail merge
I wonder if there is a way to e-mail merge in Publisher 2003 ...