OL2003: No Categories on Recurring Events generated from Contacts (e.g., birthdays)

OL 2003 SP2
Windows XP Professional (Dell OEM factory installed)

---

I categorize my Contacts using my own custom Categories, which are
included in the Master Category List.

Having migrated to OL 2003 (on a retail Office 2003 Professional CD) on
my desktop for about a month, I just noticed Recurring Events in
Calendar generated from Contacts info such as Birthdays, Anniversaries
have been regenerated without any Categories being assigned.  I deleted
all of these Recurring Events (including the original ones with
Categories) and resave the Contacts entry, but the new Event still has
no Category assigned; I repeated with the next Contacts entry, same
thing happened.

The OL 2003 on my Dell notebook is also exhibiting the same problem.
Patches and fixes are up-to-date on both machines.  Is this behavior by
design - if so what is the logic behind no Category being assigned?  If
this is a bug, how do I report it?

0
PhiL

It's just the way it works... use a group by category view, add a category
to one event and drag the others to that category to add them.

--
Diane Poremsky [MVP - Outlook]

"PhiL PHiL" <noreply(AT)mesquire.com> wrote in message
> OL 2003 SP2
> Windows XP Professional (Dell OEM factory installed)
>
> ---
>

> I categorize my Contacts using my own custom Categories, which are
> included in the Master Category List.
>
> Having migrated to OL 2003 (on a retail Office 2003 Professional CD) on
> my desktop for about a month, I just noticed Recurring Events in
> Calendar generated from Contacts info such as Birthdays, Anniversaries
> have been regenerated without any Categories being assigned.  I deleted
> all of these Recurring Events (including the original ones with
> Categories) and resave the Contacts entry, but the new Event still has
> no Category assigned; I repeated with the next Contacts entry, same
> thing happened.
>
> The OL 2003 on my Dell notebook is also exhibiting the same problem.
> Patches and fixes are up-to-date on both machines.  Is this behavior by
> design - if so what is the logic behind no Category being assigned?  If
> this is a bug, how do I report it?

0
outlookmvp (5838)
4/14/2006 3:09:37 AM
Ha ha.... fair enough - that's what I have been doing all these years.

However, the problem arises whenever I make changes to the Contact
entry:  let's say the email address has been updated and the Contact is
resaved - a new Recurring Event without Category assigned is created, so
I end up with 2 Recurring Events for the same birthday: the existing
event with Categories I already assigned, and one new event without!
The problem is compounded by the fact that a new event is created every
time I make changes to the Contact, so if I update it 4 times, I get 4
new Events!!

Surely this is a bug, yes?

: It's just the way it works... use a group by category view, add a
category
: to one event and drag the others to that category to add them.
:
: --
: Diane Poremsky [MVP - Outlook]
: Author, Teach Yourself Outlook 2003 in 24 Hours
: Coauthor, OneNote 2003 for Windows (Visual QuickStart Guide)
: Need Help with Common Tasks? http://www.outlook-tips.net/beginner/
:
: Outlook Tips: http://www.outlook-tips.net/
: Outlook & Exchange Solutions Center: http://www.slipstick.com
: Subscribe to Exchange Messaging Outlook newsletter:
: EMO-NEWSLETTER-SUBSCRIBE-REQUEST@PEACH.EASE.LSOFT.COM
:
:
: "PhiL PHiL" <noreply(AT)mesquire.com> wrote in message
: news:ucPUtx2XGHA.196@TK2MSFTNGP04.phx.gbl...
: > OL 2003 SP2
: > Windows XP Professional (Dell OEM factory installed)
: >
: > ---
: >
: >
[...]

4/14/2006 5:34:59 AM
it shouldn't keep creating new ones. Are you importing/exporting (which
breaks any connection between the contact and appointment) ?

--

> [...]
> : > my desktop for about a month, I just noticed Recurring Events in
> : > Calendar generated from Contacts info such as Birthdays,
> Anniversaries
> : > have been regenerated without any Categories being assigned.  I
> deleted
> : > all of these Recurring Events (including the original ones with
> : > Categories) and resave the Contacts entry, but the new Event still
> has
> : > no Category assigned; I repeated with the next Contacts entry, same
> : > thing happened.
> : >
> : > The OL 2003 on my Dell notebook is also exhibiting the same problem.
> : > Patches and fixes are up-to-date on both machines.  Is this behavior
> by
> : > design - if so what is the logic behind no Category being assigned?

0
outlookmvp (5838)
4/14/2006 6:12:36 AM
Nope.

In any case, if I were importing like you said it would only create a
single new event, but not multiple entries of the same one every time it
was resaved.  No, only existing Contacts email addresses were being
resaved during my investigation, and OL treats it as a new uncategorized
Event every single time.

Just tested it on a neighbor's OL 2003 (a Dell OEM Office 2003 vs. my
retail Office 2003 Pro) and the exact same thing was happening.

[...]
: > :
: > : --
: > : Diane Poremsky [MVP - Outlook]
: > : Author, Teach Yourself Outlook 2003 in 24 Hours
: > : Coauthor, OneNote 2003 for Windows (Visual QuickStart Guide)
: > : Need Help with Common Tasks? http://www.outlook-tips.net/beginner/
: > :
: > : Outlook Tips: http://www.outlook-tips.net/
: > : Outlook & Exchange Solutions Center: http://www.slipstick.com
: > : Subscribe to Exchange Messaging Outlook newsletter:
: > : EMO-NEWSLETTER-SUBSCRIBE-REQUEST@PEACH.EASE.LSOFT.COM
: > :
: > :
: > : "PhiL PHiL" <noreply(AT)mesquire.com> wrote in message
: > : news:ucPUtx2XGHA.196@TK2MSFTNGP04.phx.gbl...
: > : > OL 2003 SP2
: > : > Windows XP Professional (Dell OEM factory installed)
: > : >
: > : > ---
: > : >
: > : >
[...]

Where did the Outlook Shortcuts disappear in OL2003?
I recently upgraded my Outlook 2000 to OL 2003 and now I find that my shortcut sidebar has disappeared. How can I get it back, please? /Bo Bo Berglund bo.berglund(at)nospam.telia.com Use the shortcut pane on the navigation bar. -- Diane Poremsky [MVP - Outlook] Author, Teach Yourself Outlook 2003 in 24 Hours Coauthor, OneNote 2003 for Windows (Visual QuickStart Guide) Need Help with Common Tasks? http://www.outlook-tips.net/beginner/ Outlook Tips: http://www.outlook-tips.net/ Outlook & Exchange Solutions Center: http://www.slipstick.com Subscribe to Exchange Messaging Outlook newsl...

WebClient Contact Sync
We are new to CRm, A question came up regarding the client contact sync mechanics. If our clients uses the crm Webclient and create contacts, will they be able to retrieve them from outlook, we have done that create clients using the web interface and then same user synchronized his outlook with CRM and none of the contacts appeared, Is there a configuration, we need to pay attention too. Thanks ...

OL2003 Rules
Rule made to move messages from the Global Address List Address Book, on this machine only, move to a specific folder, quit working when Exchange server upgraded to 2003. Deleted and reintitiated the rule. No joy. Similar rules for mail from individual accounts on the GAL work well, but these do not specify movement from an address book. (The idea here is to, instead of filtering messages out of the inbox, filter internal mail out and put that in a priority location) Any suggestions welcome. Thanks. For what version of Outlook? In case of Outlook 2003 have you tried deleting the oa...

Multiple E-Mail Accts
Am I missing something: I operate several companies, and several URL's with associated Email accts. All are forwarded to my central E-Mail acct at the ISP. Thus all are downloaded at the same time. I would like to answer them with the return E-mail address set up as selectable, rather than one default address. Is there an easy way to do this. Lets say I get 75 Emails a day after SPAM, and this would be reasonably equally divided up into 5 different Email adresses. Anyone have any thoughts? Many thanx CaPTRON-nz <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: > Am I mis...

Archive individual contacts?
How do I move individual contacts or an entire category (old members) to the archive folder so that the search will work faster? (please send any reply...I never receive an email saying anyone replied to any of my questions even though I click on NOTIFY and I check spam.) HotLoveMonkey wrote: > How do I move individual contacts or an entire category (old members) to the > archive folder so that the search will work faster? I wasn't aware you COULD archive Contacts.... > > (please send any reply...I never receive an email saying anyone replied to > any...

Assigning categories to mass transactions/payees
hello there! I have money 2000 deluxe and business. I recently made a mistake and deleted a category which i now regret. Is there a way to create a category and apply it to all transactions to a particalar payee? For example, all of my grocery store purchases are now under miscellaneous, and i would like to assign all of them to a new "grocery store" category without having to go and do every one individually. Thanks and have a great day! Casey In microsoft.public.money, Casey Kane wrote: > > >I have money 2000 deluxe and business. I recently made a mistake and >dele...

setting picklist value via onchange event
Hi, I'm trying to set the values of two picklist fields, with the value of the changed picklist. It seems to work fine, except when I save and close the form the modified picklists get there orginal value back. Can someone help me? Here is the code I've used so far: crmForm.CFPklanttevredenheid_oplossing.value=crmForm.CFPKlantresponse.value; crmForm.CFPklanttevredenheid_oplossing.save; crmForm.CFPklanttevredenheid_oplossing.click(); crmForm.CFPklanttevredenheid_proces.value=crmForm.CFPKlantresponse.value; crmForm.CFPklanttevredenheid_oplossing.save; crmForm.CFPklanttevredenheid_pr...

OL2003
Does anyone know a solution to my out look problem? I install OL2003 on a P3 750, 256 M of Ram running win2k w/ service pak4 networked w/ Exchange 5.5. I'm now getting an error message that says I'm out of memory or system resources. I can't be! Any answers? What are you trying to do when you get the message? How many programs do you have open? Did you install Outlook 2003 as an upgrade over a previous version of Outlook? -- Diane Poremsky [MVP - Outlook] Author, Teach Yourself Outlook 2003 in 24 Hours Coauthor, OneNote 2003 for Windows (Visual QuickStart Guide) Outloo...

Replies to e-mails
Version: 2008 Operating System: Mac OS X 10.6 (Snow Leopard) Processor: Intel Email Client: pop When I reply to an e-mail instead of being placed into my sent folder it is placed in my Inbox, thus requiring me to have to move them at a later stage. Is there a setting that needs to be changed and if so wht are the steps? ...

EXCEL.exe has generated errors and will be closed by Windows
I receive the following error periodically when I'm closing (X'ing) out of a spreadsheet. EXCEL.exe has generated errors and will be closed by Windows. You will need to restart the program. An error log is being created. Does anyone know what causes this and what I can do to correct this? I cannot view the log file either. Even if you could review the log file, I bet it wouldn't help. (It surely doesn't help most humans!) But one of the things that excel does when you close it is update your customized toolbar file (*.xlb). With excel closed: windows|start button|search ...

Thunderbird E-mail & CRM
Is it possible to use the Thunderbird e-mail client with CRM instead of Outlook? Is this possible with customizations? CRM does require the Outlook client. The integration is tightly locked with Outlook so no other client will work. While anything within reason is possible with customizations these particular feature is not possible without probably rewriting a large percentage of CRM. -- John O'Donnell Microsoft CRM MVP "Anna Maglaya" <anna_maglaya@infosoft.com.ph> wrote in message news:%23sRgXhUaEHA.596@TK2MSFTNGP11.phx.gbl... > Is it possible to use the Thun...

Zero out budget categories at month end
I have set up a budget in Money 2004. I would like to be able to take any category in my budget that is under budget, and zero it out and put the money into a savings category with the same name for future use. For example: I have a budget of $50 for "Clothing" every month. I spend $20 this month. I want to take the left over $30, and transfer it to a "holding tank" with the same category name "Clothing". So the next month, if I spend $60 in "Clothing", I can pull $10 of that from the reserves in the holding tank category "Clothing". ...

OL2003 launch
I ma getting the message "Exchange is currently in recovery mode. You can either connect to your Exchange server using the network, work offline, or cancel this logon." with the options of Connect, Work Offline or Cancel. What causes this and how do I keep it from coming up on me. Contact your mail adminstrator to verify that the Exchange server is fully operational. -- Robert Sparnaaij [MVP-Outlook] www.howto-outlook.com Tips of the month: -What do the Outlook Icons Mean? -Create an Office 2003 CD slipstreamed with Service Pack 1 ----- "gastewa" <anonymous...

links within excel don't work when workbook is e-mailed
I want to e-mail an excel workbook and have links within the document work when the recipient opens the file. The links are mainly within the workbook itself as navigational aids. The links don't work when my recipients open the workbook. I assume link refers to a formula that references another file on your computer. When sending a file with a link, the recipient will open the file & excel will keep the original values since it won't update the link without having access to that folder. The recipient can change the source of the link in the edit menu at the bottom unde...

Empty E-mails in Outlook Express
Can anyone help? For the past 2+ weeks, all of my outlook express e-mails have been empty -- even the ones that I knew had previously contained text. All I get is the hourglass icon when the cursor is in the body of the text. If there had been an attachment, I can see it only if I forward the e-mail -- then, the attachment is on the forwarded message. Can anyone help? Please e-mail me at nickdavis(DELETE THIS)@usa.net.Thanks! nick "Nicholas Davis" <ndavis02@san.rr.com> wrote in message news:DW3jc.7193$4D1.5336@twister.socal.rr.com... > Can anyone help? For the past 2+ we...

Write Event Log
Hi, i have a MFC app, and I want to write information to Event log, I use the following line to define a log: Diagnostics::EventLog* log ; But the compiler tell me : "Diagnostics": is not a class or namespace! Could anybody tell me why? thanks! -ja > Hi, i have a MFC app, and I want to write information to Event log, I use > the following line to define a log: > > Diagnostics::EventLog* log ; > But the compiler tell me : "Diagnostics": is not a class or namespace! > > Could anybody tell me why? Is this a .net project or simply unmanaged...

Error:None of your e-mail accounts could send to this recipient.
When I reply to messages in Outlook 2002, I frequently get the message returned with the error: None of your e- mail accounts could send to this recipient. Any suggestions? Thanks What mail accounts do you have set up in Outlook? Can you send a message directly to the person involved? Paula wrote: > When I reply to messages in Outlook 2002, I frequently > get the message returned with the error: None of your e- > mail accounts could send to this recipient. > Any suggestions? > Thanks ...

Category Axis Area in Bar Chart Cuts Words Apart on Wordwrap
I have a bar chart in Excel 2000, and I need to fit a lot of Data into a small chart area. Currently, the data is being displayed properly, but the Category Axis Labels are being wordwrapped and when this happens, it just cuts a word in half. For instance, one label is 'Professional' and it gets displayed as the following: 'Professio' 'nal' Any suggestions at how to control this so that it doesn't happen would be much appreciated. Thanks. Viper To help control where the labels break, you can add line breaks in the label cells on the worksheet. For exam...

add/remove column in OWA Contact
Could anyone please tell me how can I add/remove column from Phone List (Contact) at OWA? I'm running Exchange 2003... Thanks. SC On Fri, 19 Jan 2007 14:23:18 +0800, "Squirrel" <xsquirrelx@hotmail.com> wrote: >Could anyone please tell me how can I add/remove column from Phone List >(Contact) at OWA? I'm running Exchange 2003... > > > >Thanks. > > > >SC > Have had a good root throught the OWAADMIN pack (you can download for free) and can't find anything to help you here. Haven't seen anyone with anything 3rd party to...

Receiving E-mails
Recently I switched to Verizon DSL and since then I can't send e-mails. I can receive ok but not send. I just get an error message saying there is a connect error 10060, error number ox80067 Give us the complete error message as per verbatim. And which port is set for sending -- Peter Please Reply to Newsgroup for the benefit of others Requests for assistance by email can not and will not be acknowledged. "loval4751" <loval4751@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:153E7C04-4B4B-4396-8CC7-75420442C0F1@microsoft.com... > Recently I switc...

Contacts in public folders?
Hello, Clearly I don't know much about exchange. All I want to do is add a contacts folder to public folders so everyone can see it. When I add a folder I don't seem to find and option saying 'this folder is a contacts folder/calender etc'. What am I missing? I'm using Exchange 2003. Thanks, Bob On 17 Feb 2005 04:23:08 -0800, bob_jeffcoat@hotmail.com wrote: >Hello, > >Clearly I don't know much about exchange. All I want to do is add a >contacts folder to public folders so everyone can see it. When I add a >folder I don't seem to find and o...

Import PST e-mail from Windows Vist Outlook to Windows 7 Outlook
When I import the file outlook.pst which I made in Windows Vista into Outlook in Windows 7, it is put into the folder "large files' and when I tried to open, it imported my addresses, but it will not open to release my e-mail from Vista. Iget error message "Cannot open this item. Outlook blocked access to this potentially unsafe item." How to I open it. It is NOT unsafe; I scanned it for viruses. -- Peter Mussallem ------------------------------------------------------------------------ Peter Mussallem's Profile: http://forums.techarena.in/members/1795...

Viewing Folder list, Inbox and Calendar in the same window in OL2003
Does anyone know if this is possible? Use Outlook Today for this. -- Robert Sparnaaij [MVP-Outlook] www.howto-outlook.com Tips of the month: -Navigation Pane Tips & Tricks -Create an Office XP CD slipstreamed with Service Pack 3 ----- <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:26ff01c47037$5392d360$a501280a@phx.gbl... > Does anyone know if this is possible? Thanks Robert for your reply. Yes, I am aware of OL today (and the ability to customize). I'd like to have the full Inbox window and the live calendar view (just as if you opened it in a new w...

Outlook 2003 "Full Name..." field in contact screen reversed.
Outlook 2003 "Full Name..." field in contact screen reversed. I am using XP, with Outlook 2003. For some reason, all my 800 contacts are having a problem. When I open the contact screen the "Full Name... " field is displaying names backwards. "Mr. John Smith" displays as "Mr. Smith John" I have checked my "Contacts Options" selection for default Full Name order and it correctly displays "First (Middle) Last"... I have noticed that if I delete the name and re-enter it, it displays correctly, however I cannot spend the time to d...

Address Book / Contacts don't appear in email message
I'm sure this question has be posted 10000's of times but i can't seem to locate it. I have just reinstalled windows XP Pro, outlook 2003. I have my email back up all my contacts and calendar info in order. But when i attempt to create a new email message my address book doesn't pop up to list the address's in the "TO" field so there's no way to check them. Thanks in advance for any info. -Matt nutshell222@hotmail.com If you have Contacts in the Contacts folder but they are not accessible when you click on the To button, check these settings: Make su...