OL07, activities page, journal view failing to display

let me give example of this recent behavior: start outlook> go to individual
contact page> click on activities> show "journal"> journal shows all 'phone
calls'. close contact> reopen contact> go through the same routine>this time
nothing shows in journal screen. if i wait about 10 minutes the journal
entries may show again.

if search on "all items" it may show only email and calendar items, but not
the phone calls that should show up in the 'journal' view.

i have tried closing and restarting outlook.
i don't recall changing any settings that should impact outlook. i did
notice today that the 'standard toolbar' was open, and i don't remember
opening it. i don't use it.

and, no, no one else uses the computer.
i have searched MS kb, and internet, and can find nothing about this
behavior.

i tried running 'office diagnostics'. it found no issues.

i also ran repair on office from add/remove.  this did not help either.

does anyone have an idea about how to correct this situation?

thanks,

jeffrey

0
astro461 (40)

no one has any ideas about this problem?

--
jeffrey
"jeffrey" <astro46@gmail.com> wrote in message

> let me give example of this recent behavior: start outlook> go to
> individual
> contact page> click on activities> show "journal"> journal shows all
> 'phone
> calls'. close contact> reopen contact> go through the same routine>this
> time
> nothing shows in journal screen. if i wait about 10 minutes the journal
> entries may show again.
>
> if search on "all items" it may show only email and calendar items, but
> not the phone calls that should show up in the 'journal' view.
>
> i have tried closing and restarting outlook.
> i don't recall changing any settings that should impact outlook. i did
> notice today that the 'standard toolbar' was open, and i don't remember
> opening it. i don't use it.
>
> and, no, no one else uses the computer.
> i have searched MS kb, and internet, and can find nothing about this
> behavior.
>
> i tried running 'office diagnostics'. it found no issues.
>
> i also ran repair on office from add/remove.  this did not help either.
>
> does anyone have an idea about how to correct this situation?
>
> thanks,
>
> jeffrey

0
astro461 (40)
9/9/2008 1:41:14 PM
I saw this and placed a watch on it to see if anyone else had
something more than the guess I can provide. It would appear
not.

This is definately not normal. However, there are alot of possible
culprits. Form corruption, synchronization issue, OST gone awry,
network connection, etc.

What is your set up:
Are you working on a machine at home and use Outlook for an ISP?
Are you working on a mchine at work and use Outlook for an ISP?
Are you working on a machine at work and use Exchange server?
What O/S (Operating System) do you use?

Nikki

no one has any ideas about this problem?

--
jeffrey
"jeffrey" <astro46@gmail.com> wrote in message

> let me give example of this recent behavior: start outlook> go to
> individual
> contact page> click on activities> show "journal"> journal shows all
> 'phone
> calls'. close contact> reopen contact> go through the same routine>this
> time
> nothing shows in journal screen. if i wait about 10 minutes the journal
> entries may show again.
>
> if search on "all items" it may show only email and calendar items, but
> not the phone calls that should show up in the 'journal' view.
>
> i have tried closing and restarting outlook.
> i don't recall changing any settings that should impact outlook. i did
> notice today that the 'standard toolbar' was open, and i don't remember
> opening it. i don't use it.
>
> and, no, no one else uses the computer.
> i have searched MS kb, and internet, and can find nothing about this
> behavior.
>
> i tried running 'office diagnostics'. it found no issues.
>
> i also ran repair on office from add/remove.  this did not help either.
>
> does anyone have an idea about how to correct this situation?
>
> thanks,
>
> jeffrey

nikki, thanks for replying.
all useful details that i didn't think to include:
i am working on a machine at home. i don't know what is meant by 'use
outlook for an isp". i don't browse internet through outlook. no exchange
server,
i am using xp pro, sp 2

i might note that when i click on activities, i can see that outlook is
searching. the little magnifying glass in upper right goes around for a
while. when journal finds nothing, the magnifying glass only appears for
half a second (or not at all).  not sure what this may mean.

i have tried turning off the computer, (without using start>shut down), so
that perhaps outlook will have to check data files. this didn't seem to help
either.

sometimes i will click on a contact and it will give me the correct journal
entries, and maybe do it again, next time not. or not give me journal
entries on the first try.

jeffrey
--
jeffrey
"Nikki Peterson" <SkippyLetterman@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>I saw this and placed a watch on it to see if anyone else had
> something more than the guess I can provide. It would appear
> not.
>
> This is definately not normal. However, there are alot of possible
> culprits. Form corruption, synchronization issue, OST gone awry,
> network connection, etc.
>
> What is your set up:
> Are you working on a machine at home and use Outlook for an ISP?
> Are you working on a mchine at work and use Outlook for an ISP?
> Are you working on a machine at work and use Exchange server?
> What O/S (Operating System) do you use?
>
> Nikki
>
> "jeffrey" <astro46@gmail.com> wrote in message
> no one has any ideas about this problem?
>
> --
> jeffrey
> "jeffrey" <astro46@gmail.com> wrote in message
>>

>> let me give example of this recent behavior: start outlook> go to
>> individual
>> contact page> click on activities> show "journal"> journal shows all
>> 'phone
>> calls'. close contact> reopen contact> go through the same routine>this
>> time
>> nothing shows in journal screen. if i wait about 10 minutes the journal
>> entries may show again.
>>
>> if search on "all items" it may show only email and calendar items, but
>> not the phone calls that should show up in the 'journal' view.
>>
>> i have tried closing and restarting outlook.
>> i don't recall changing any settings that should impact outlook. i did
>> notice today that the 'standard toolbar' was open, and i don't remember
>> opening it. i don't use it.
>>
>> and, no, no one else uses the computer.
>> i have searched MS kb, and internet, and can find nothing about this
>> behavior.
>>
>> i tried running 'office diagnostics'. it found no issues.
>>
>> i also ran repair on office from add/remove.  this did not help either.
>>
>> does anyone have an idea about how to correct this situation?
>>
>> thanks,
>>
>> jeffrey

0
astro461 (40)
9/10/2008 3:49:58 AM
from another thread, i got the idea to run scanpst.exe.  it found errors,
but didn't solve the journal problem.
jeffrey

--
jeffrey
"Nikki Peterson" <SkippyLetterman@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>I saw this and placed a watch on it to see if anyone else had
> something more than the guess I can provide. It would appear
> not.
>
> This is definately not normal. However, there are alot of possible
> culprits. Form corruption, synchronization issue, OST gone awry,
> network connection, etc.
>
> What is your set up:
> Are you working on a machine at home and use Outlook for an ISP?
> Are you working on a mchine at work and use Outlook for an ISP?
> Are you working on a machine at work and use Exchange server?
> What O/S (Operating System) do you use?
>
> Nikki
>
> "jeffrey" <astro46@gmail.com> wrote in message
> no one has any ideas about this problem?
>
> --
> jeffrey
> "jeffrey" <astro46@gmail.com> wrote in message
>>

>> let me give example of this recent behavior: start outlook> go to
>> individual
>> contact page> click on activities> show "journal"> journal shows all
>> 'phone
>> calls'. close contact> reopen contact> go through the same routine>this
>> time
>> nothing shows in journal screen. if i wait about 10 minutes the journal
>> entries may show again.
>>
>> if search on "all items" it may show only email and calendar items, but
>> not the phone calls that should show up in the 'journal' view.
>>
>> i have tried closing and restarting outlook.
>> i don't recall changing any settings that should impact outlook. i did
>> notice today that the 'standard toolbar' was open, and i don't remember
>> opening it. i don't use it.
>>
>> and, no, no one else uses the computer.
>> i have searched MS kb, and internet, and can find nothing about this
>> behavior.
>>
>> i tried running 'office diagnostics'. it found no issues.
>>
>> i also ran repair on office from add/remove.  this did not help either.
>>
>> does anyone have an idea about how to correct this situation?
>>
>> thanks,
>>
>> jeffrey

0
astro461 (40)
9/11/2008 1:08:18 AM
If you want to try something, try this:

Clean up the forms cache:

To do so, follow these steps:
      1. On the Tools menu, click Options.
      2. Click the Other tab, and then click Advanced Options.
      3. Click Custom Forms.
      4. Click Manage Forms.
      5. Click Clear Cache.
      6. Close all open windows, and then restart Outlook 2003.

If the above does not work, try the following.

Deleting the Forms Cache File:
The Frmcache.dat file is the primary file to delete. The Frmcache.dat
file serves as an index of the individual forms that have been cached
on the computer. Use the following steps to manually delete the
Frmcache.dat file. In addition, these steps delete all of the cached
forms on your computer, which are stored in subfolders of the
Forms folder.

  1.. Quit Outlook.
  2.. Search the Hard drive (<F3>) to locate the Frmcache.dat file.
       (Be sure to check in HIDDEN files on W2K or WXP.)
  3.. Delete all that are found from the FIND window.
  4.. Open Outlook.

When you restart Outlook, and use a form, the forms cache
is re-created.

Please let me know if this solution works for you, or if it does not.
This is a starting point for trouble-shooting this issue.

Nikki Peterson

from another thread, i got the idea to run scanpst.exe.  it found errors,
but didn't solve the journal problem.
jeffrey

--
jeffrey
"Nikki Peterson" <SkippyLetterman@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>I saw this and placed a watch on it to see if anyone else had
> something more than the guess I can provide. It would appear
> not.
>
> This is definately not normal. However, there are alot of possible
> culprits. Form corruption, synchronization issue, OST gone awry,
> network connection, etc.
>
> What is your set up:
> Are you working on a machine at home and use Outlook for an ISP?
> Are you working on a mchine at work and use Outlook for an ISP?
> Are you working on a machine at work and use Exchange server?
> What O/S (Operating System) do you use?
>
> Nikki
>
> "jeffrey" <astro46@gmail.com> wrote in message
> no one has any ideas about this problem?
>
> --
> jeffrey
> "jeffrey" <astro46@gmail.com> wrote in message
>>

>> let me give example of this recent behavior: start outlook> go to
>> individual
>> contact page> click on activities> show "journal"> journal shows all
>> 'phone
>> calls'. close contact> reopen contact> go through the same routine>this
>> time
>> nothing shows in journal screen. if i wait about 10 minutes the journal
>> entries may show again.
>>
>> if search on "all items" it may show only email and calendar items, but
>> not the phone calls that should show up in the 'journal' view.
>>
>> i have tried closing and restarting outlook.
>> i don't recall changing any settings that should impact outlook. i did
>> notice today that the 'standard toolbar' was open, and i don't remember
>> opening it. i don't use it.
>>
>> and, no, no one else uses the computer.
>> i have searched MS kb, and internet, and can find nothing about this
>> behavior.
>>
>> i tried running 'office diagnostics'. it found no issues.
>>
>> i also ran repair on office from add/remove.  this did not help either.
>>
>> does anyone have an idea about how to correct this situation?
>>
>> thanks,
>>
>> jeffrey

nikki, thanks. good to have something to try as possible solution.
clearing cache from outlook didn't change the errant behavior.  as usual, i
might open a contact and journal view worked fine,  but when reopening the
contact the journal view is empty, then the next contact nothing shows in
journal view. perhaps switching to 'all items' and then back to journal will
get results, sometimes not.

deleting the frmcache.dat file (i found only one), seems to have produced
more consistancy. now opening a contact  shows nothing in journal view, but
switching to 'all items' gets me a list of all items (previously it did not
always do this, maybe only emails, or calendar items), and then switching to
journal gets all the  journal items. i tried several contacts and they all
work the same. and reopening a contact does the same.   but wait, i just
tried it again, and the old behavior is back (i have not closed outlook
since writing the sentence above), nothing showing in journal view, 'all
items' only showing email, and then, still, nothing showing in journal view.
erratic.  darn.

i hope, somehow, that this helps.

jeffrey

--
> [...]
>>> time
>>> nothing shows in journal screen. if i wait about 10 minutes the journal
>>> entries may show again.
>>>
>>> if search on "all items" it may show only email and calendar items, but
>>> not the phone calls that should show up in the 'journal' view.
>>>
>>> i have tried closing and restarting outlook.
>>> i don't recall changing any settings that should impact outlook. i did
>>> notice today that the 'standard toolbar' was open, and i don't remember
>>> opening it. i don't use it.
>>>
>>> and, no, no one else uses the computer.
>>> i have searched MS kb, and internet, and can find nothing about this
>>> behavior.
>>>
>>> i tried running 'office diagnostics'. it found no issues.
>>>
>>> i also ran repair on office from add/remove.  this did not help either.
>>>
>>> does anyone have an idea about how to correct this situation?

0
astro461 (40)
9/12/2008 4:34:17 AM
I am not sure what to tell you at this point. It sounds like you have more
going on with your machine than your machine can handle.

I would look at how much ram do you have
How large is your pst file (Outlook data file)
Do you have other programs running?

Nikki

> [...]

>>> time
>>> nothing shows in journal screen. if i wait about 10 minutes the journal
>>> entries may show again.
>>>
>>> if search on "all items" it may show only email and calendar items, but
>>> not the phone calls that should show up in the 'journal' view.
>>>
>>> i have tried closing and restarting outlook.
>>> i don't recall changing any settings that should impact outlook. i did
>>> notice today that the 'standard toolbar' was open, and i don't remember
>>> opening it. i don't use it.
>>>
>>> and, no, no one else uses the computer.
>>> i have searched MS kb, and internet, and can find nothing about this
>>> behavior.
>>>
>>> i tried running 'office diagnostics'. it found no issues.
>>>
>>> i also ran repair on office from add/remove.  this did not help either.
>>>
>>> does anyone have an idea about how to correct this situation?

i have 1gb of ram (1046 mb of physical mem, 416mb available.)
..pst is 120mb
sure there are other programs running, but not many: outlook, linkstash,
clipcache, kaspersky, magicjack, winpatrol, file manager. thats about it.

somehow, i feel that outlook not even attempting to search (as it does when
the correct entries Do appear) is a clue. somehow, it thinks that it already
has the necessary info, and doesn't need to look for it.

does this mean that i am the first to have this problem?  i feel special.

jeffrey

--
> [...]
>>
>> --
>> jeffrey
>> "Nikki Peterson" <SkippyLetterman@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>>>I saw this and placed a watch on it to see if anyone else had
>>> something more than the guess I can provide. It would appear
>>> not.
>>>
>>> This is definately not normal. However, there are alot of possible
>>> culprits. Form corruption, synchronization issue, OST gone awry,
>>> network connection, etc.
>>>
>>> What is your set up:
>>> Are you working on a machine at home and use Outlook for an ISP?
>>> Are you working on a mchine at work and use Outlook for an ISP?
>>> Are you working on a machine at work and use Exchange server?
>>> What O/S (Operating System) do you use?
>>>
>>> Nikki
>>>
>>> "jeffrey" <astro46@gmail.com> wrote in message
>>> no one has any ideas about this problem?

0
astro461 (40)
9/16/2008 9:53:51 PM
Does desktop search work as expected?

--
Diane Poremsky [MVP - Outlook]

Outlook Tips by email:

newsreader to msnews.microsoft.com.

> [...]
>>> on the computer. Use the following steps to manually delete the
>>> Frmcache.dat file. In addition, these steps delete all of the cached
>>> forms on your computer, which are stored in subfolders of the
>>> Forms folder.
>>>
>>>  1.. Quit Outlook.
>>>  2.. Search the Hard drive (<F3>) to locate the Frmcache.dat file.
>>>       (Be sure to check in HIDDEN files on W2K or WXP.)
>>>  3.. Delete all that are found from the FIND window.
>>>  4.. Open Outlook.
>>>
>>> When you restart Outlook, and use a form, the forms cache
>>> is re-created.
>>>
>>> Please let me know if this solution works for you, or if it does not.
>>> This is a starting point for trouble-shooting this issue.
>>>
>>> Nikki Peterson
>>>
>>> "jeffrey" <astro46@gmail.com> wrote in message
>>> from another thread, i got the idea to run scanpst.exe.  it found

0
outlookmvp (5838)
9/17/2008 5:35:49 PM
diane,  if you mean start>search, yes. works as well as it ever did.  i
don't have the more elaborate office 2007 indexing feature (instant search?)
installed.

jeffrey

--
jeffrey
> [...]
>>> get results, sometimes not.
>>>
>>> deleting the frmcache.dat file (i found only one), seems to have
>>> produced
>>> more consistancy. now opening a contact  shows nothing in journal view,
>>> but
>>> switching to 'all items' gets me a list of all items (previously it did
>>> not
>>> always do this, maybe only emails, or calendar items), and then
>>> switching to
>>> journal gets all the  journal items. i tried several contacts and they
>>> all
>>> work the same. and reopening a contact does the same.   but wait, i just
>>> tried it again, and the old behavior is back (i have not closed outlook
>>> since writing the sentence above), nothing showing in journal view, 'all
>>> items' only showing email, and then, still, nothing showing in journal

0
astro461 (40)
9/17/2008 10:04:26 PM
I'm having same issues as you with the activities button. Watching your
process. I don't think its the ram I'm running 6GB for ram on Vista program
and have same issues as you. Good luck.
Jdlatil

"jeffrey" wrote:

> diane,  if you mean start>search, yes. works as well as it ever did.  i
> don't have the more elaborate office 2007 indexing feature (instant search?)
> installed.
>
> jeffrey
>
> --
> jeffrey
> "Diane Poremsky [MVP]" <outlookmvp@msn.com> wrote in message
> > Does desktop search work as expected?
> >
> > --
> > Diane Poremsky [MVP - Outlook]
> > Outlook Tips: http://www.outlook-tips.net/
> > Outlook & Exchange Solutions Center: http://www.slipstick.com
> >
> > Outlook Tips by email:
> > dailytips-subscribe-request@lists.outlooktips.net
> >
> > EMO - a weekly newsletter about Outlook and Exchange:
> > EMO-NEWSLETTER-SUBSCRIBE-REQUEST@PEACH.EASE.LSOFT.COM
> >
> > You can access this newsgroup by visiting
> > http://www.microsoft.com/office/community/en-us/default.mspx or point your
> > newsreader to msnews.microsoft.com.
> >

> > "jeffrey" <astro46@gmail.com> wrote in message
> >> i have 1gb of ram (1046 mb of physical mem, 416mb available.)
> >> .pst is 120mb
> >> sure there are other programs running, but not many: outlook, linkstash,
> >> clipcache, kaspersky, magicjack, winpatrol, file manager. thats about it.
> >>
> >> somehow, i feel that outlook not even attempting to search (as it does
> >> when the correct entries Do appear) is a clue. somehow, it thinks that it
> >> already has the necessary info, and doesn't need to look for it.
> >>
> >> does this mean that i am the first to have this problem?  i feel special.
> >>
> >> jeffrey
> >>

> >> --
> >> jeffrey
> >> "Nikki Peterson" <SkippyLetterman@hotmail.com> wrote in message

0
jdlatil (1)
9/21/2008 2:16:00 AM
its good to hear someone else talking of having the same problem. if 2 of us
are reporting, we can be certain that many people are having the same issue.
for some reason it hasn't been talked about previously. or maybe it has. i
don't know how to access previous forum discussions for search, and a google
search didn't turn up anything for me.

lets hope that someone can come up with a solution.

jeffrey

--
jeffrey
"jdlatil" <jdlatil@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> I'm having same issues as you with the activities button. Watching your
> process. I don't think its the ram I'm running 6GB for ram on Vista
> program
> and have same issues as you. Good luck.
> Jdlatil
>
> "jeffrey" wrote:
>
>> diane,  if you mean start>search, yes. works as well as it ever did.  i
>> don't have the more elaborate office 2007 indexing feature (instant
>> search?)
>> installed.
>>
>> jeffrey
>>
>> --
>> jeffrey
>> "Diane Poremsky [MVP]" <outlookmvp@msn.com> wrote in message
>> > Does desktop search work as expected?
>> >
>> > --
>> > Diane Poremsky [MVP - Outlook]
>> > Outlook Tips: http://www.outlook-tips.net/
>> > Outlook & Exchange Solutions Center: http://www.slipstick.com
>> >
>> > Outlook Tips by email:
>> > dailytips-subscribe-request@lists.outlooktips.net
>> >
>> > EMO - a weekly newsletter about Outlook and Exchange:
>> > EMO-NEWSLETTER-SUBSCRIBE-REQUEST@PEACH.EASE.LSOFT.COM
>> >
>> > You can access this newsgroup by visiting
>> > http://www.microsoft.com/office/community/en-us/default.mspx or point
>> > your
>> > newsreader to msnews.microsoft.com.
>> >

>> > "jeffrey" <astro46@gmail.com> wrote in message

0
astro461 (40)
9/21/2008 3:19:40 PM
Hi, Jeffrey, I just searched for answers in Outlook General and noted a query
about a similar issue with no resolution. Please see my note below. Would
love to hear if you find answers. Thanks much, Melanie

"Has anyone figured this out? I use office 2003 and I have vista 64x. I have
a number indicating 4496 journal entries, but I can't SEE them. That is the
first journal file. I have another file listed as "Journal in Personal
Folders" with no items in it.

I've used this feature for years to track my work, but it's not showing up
in VISTA. Any microsoft gurus able to address this? would really, really
appreciate it. I've been watching here and no one has responded.  My best,
Modinha"

"jeffrey" wrote:

> let me give example of this recent behavior: start outlook> go to individual
> contact page> click on activities> show "journal"> journal shows all 'phone
> calls'. close contact> reopen contact> go through the same routine>this time
> nothing shows in journal screen. if i wait about 10 minutes the journal
> entries may show again.
>
> if search on "all items" it may show only email and calendar items, but not
> the phone calls that should show up in the 'journal' view.
>
> i have tried closing and restarting outlook.
> i don't recall changing any settings that should impact outlook. i did
> notice today that the 'standard toolbar' was open, and i don't remember
> opening it. i don't use it.
>
> and, no, no one else uses the computer.
> i have searched MS kb, and internet, and can find nothing about this
> behavior.
>
> i tried running 'office diagnostics'. it found no issues.
>
> i also ran repair on office from add/remove.  this did not help either.
>
> does anyone have an idea about how to correct this situation?
>
> thanks,
>
> jeffrey

0
Modinha (1)
10/9/2008 3:43:01 AM
mohinha,  yes, it appears that this is far from an isolated incident. since,
at least for me, it is inconsistent, i am guessing that other people have
just accepted it as an Outlook inadequacy/defect, like many other defects,
and have lost hope in Microsoft addressing it. (how often do they ever
address popular problems?) The advantage that Microsoft has is that there
isn't, so far, a real competitor. when there is, it will be bye bye Outlook.

--
jeffrey
"Modinha" <Modinha@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Hi, Jeffrey, I just searched for answers in Outlook General and noted a
> query
> about a similar issue with no resolution. Please see my note below. Would
> love to hear if you find answers. Thanks much, Melanie
>
> "Has anyone figured this out? I use office 2003 and I have vista 64x. I
> have
> a number indicating 4496 journal entries, but I can't SEE them. That is
> the
> first journal file. I have another file listed as "Journal in Personal
> Folders" with no items in it.
>
> I've used this feature for years to track my work, but it's not showing up
> in VISTA. Any microsoft gurus able to address this? would really, really
> appreciate it. I've been watching here and no one has responded.  My best,
> Modinha"
>

> "jeffrey" wrote:
>

>> let me give example of this recent behavior: start outlook> go to
>> individual
>> contact page> click on activities> show "journal"> journal shows all
>> 'phone
>> calls'. close contact> reopen contact> go through the same routine>this
>> time
>> nothing shows in journal screen. if i wait about 10 minutes the journal
>> entries may show again.
>>
>> if search on "all items" it may show only email and calendar items, but
>> not
>> the phone calls that should show up in the 'journal' view.
>>
>> i have tried closing and restarting outlook.
>> i don't recall changing any settings that should impact outlook. i did
>> notice today that the 'standard toolbar' was open, and i don't remember
>> opening it. i don't use it.
>>
>> and, no, no one else uses the computer.
>> i have searched MS kb, and internet, and can find nothing about this
>> behavior.
>>
>> i tried running 'office diagnostics'. it found no issues.
>>
>> i also ran repair on office from add/remove.  this did not help either.
>>
>> does anyone have an idea about how to correct this situation?
>>
>> thanks,
>>
>> jeffrey

0
astro461 (40)
10/13/2008 6:53:28 PM
does anyone know if the current outlook 07 hotfix addresses this issue?

jeffrey

--
jeffrey
"jeffrey" <astro46@gmail.com> wrote in message

> let me give example of this recent behavior: start outlook> go to
> individual
> contact page> click on activities> show "journal"> journal shows all
> 'phone
> calls'. close contact> reopen contact> go through the same routine>this
> time
> nothing shows in journal screen. if i wait about 10 minutes the journal
> entries may show again.
>
> if search on "all items" it may show only email and calendar items, but
> not the phone calls that should show up in the 'journal' view.
>
> i have tried closing and restarting outlook.
> i don't recall changing any settings that should impact outlook. i did
> notice today that the 'standard toolbar' was open, and i don't remember
> opening it. i don't use it.
>
> and, no, no one else uses the computer.
> i have searched MS kb, and internet, and can find nothing about this
> behavior.
>
> i tried running 'office diagnostics'. it found no issues.
>
> i also ran repair on office from add/remove.  this did not help either.
>
> does anyone have an idea about how to correct this situation?
>
> thanks,
>
> jeffrey

0
astro461 (40)

ie8 favoriets & home page
Change IE8 back so I can set my own favorites & home page. Every time I reboot my computer IE resets my home page to MSN and Bing and ads a whole bunch of MSN sites to my favorites bar that I don't want. (I would have MSN as my home page anyway) I am considering switching to Chrome for my web browser because of this ---------------- This post is a suggestion for Microsoft, and Microsoft responds to the suggestions with the most votes. To vote for this suggestion, click the "I Agree" button in the message pane. If you do not see the button, follow this link to...

I have activated up to limit of my product key
I recently have had a number of problems on my computer which necessitated formatting my drive and reinstalling all of my software multiple times. The final solution seems to have been replacing my power supply and hard drive. Having done so, I reinstalled all of my software, hopefully for the last time, but I receive a message on Publisher 2003 indicating that I have activated up to the limit of my product key. Is there any solution, or must I now go to Open Office? Thanks, -- Don On Tue, 14 Dec 2004 07:11:09 -0800, Don <Don@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: >I recently h...

How can I view word wrapped text in cells that have been merged?
Formtat -> Row -> Autofit is not working Manually resize the rowheight. (merged cells don't react to autofitting of rows) Xcelsearcher wrote: > > Formtat -> Row -> Autofit is not working -- Dave Peterson ec35720@netscape.com ...

track a users email activity like what they opened and when?
I am looking to try and find out of a user was using their email during a specific time frame and if so, what they were opening and looking at. While my first instinct says this type of information is not stored by exchange I wanted to ask and make sure. I am really looking for which emails they viewed for a certain day. This is Exchange 6.5 Thanks ...

OL07 crashing after sp2
I installed the sp2 update for OL07 only, (so far not the whole sp2 for office update). since then i have found that OL07 crashes every day or two . it can't figure out what the problem is. i ts diagnostics show nothing wrong. it just keeps sending info back to ms. i can't relate it to any particular activity. anyone else having this problem after sp2? -- jeffrey Have you checked your application event viewer for any Outlook or Office-related errors? "jeffrey" <astro46@gmail.com> wrote in message news:5EWVl.18372$%54.3110@nlpi070.nbdc.sbc.com... > I inst...

View Account Information from a Custom Form
I want to view account info from a custom form as reference data. This would be a little like an IFrame I guess. I only need a read-only view of the account data, but I still would like it available from a tab. Any suggestions? -- Mark Add an IFrame with a link to: http://server/_forms/readonly/readonly.aspx?obTypeCode=1&id={guid here} hope this helps, -- Ronald Lemmen Avanade Netherlands http://ronaldlemmen.blogspot.com/ "Mark" wrote: > I want to view account info from a custom form as reference data. This would > be a little like an IFrame I guess. I only ...

How to see activities of custom entity among account activities
Hello, I want to know how can i do to see the activities of my custom entity among the activities in the lists of account's activities and contact's activities ? (like we see the activities of a contact in the list of the activities of the account). thank you PS: I use MS CRM 4 Rachida - you will need to create a custom screen to aggregate the activities in this way. There are a number of good ISVs who have already built these kinds of screens, so if you are not a developer, you might consider purchasing. Dave Ireland "Rachida Zouaoui" <Rachida Zouaoui@discuss...

Outlook won't display .gif files
I get a lot of emails from people who have .gif files embedded in their emails and Outlook won't display them. They all come in as attachments. How do I fix this and get them to display within the email itself? Have checked every setting I can think of but can't see anything that seems related. Thanks! Which version of Outlook and what is the message format? Outlook does not display attachments inline unless they are embedded in HTML. -- Diane Poremsky [MVP - Outlook] Author, Teach Yourself Outlook 2003 in 24 Hours Coauthor, OneNote 2003 for Windows (Visual QuickStart Guide) A...

print selected sections on the same page
I want to print the column headings and the totals row from a spreadsheet onto a single page. When I choose the print area from Page setup I get the headings on one page and the totals on page two, even with print on one page selected. The same result occurs when I do this from the Print Break View. The get around would be to copy and paste to a new area of the worksheet, but I think I should be able to print to a single page without having to do that? Thanks Hi ripley Try http://www.rondebruin.nl/print.htm#non-contiguous -- Regards Ron de Bruin http://www.rondebruin.nl &quo...

Retrieve email problem: "The operation failed"
When I click on Send/Receive in my Outlook 2002 to try to retrieve new emails, an error window pops up immediately which states: "The operation failed." I reinstalled Outlook 2002. No help. I tried the repair function. No help. I use Windows XP. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Before I reinstalled Outlook 2002, the program occasionally would not load at all. When I did a Control/Alt/Delete, I received an error message that stated that the problem was caused by a conflict between Outlook 2002 and WinFaxPro. I don't even have WinFaxPro installed on this computer. HH ...

Case report with breakdown of activities
I have created a Report in CRM 4.0 using the Report Wizard. This was brilliant for getting the main content on to the report then I could amend the report using Visual Studio to get the design I was looking for which is now pretty close. I have a report which has a Row with Case number, title and duration, the duration is a sum calculation like this =Sum(Fields!activitypointer1_scheduleddurationminutes.Value). This should give me a sum of the field which is in the next row which has an activity breakdown of the case for client who wants more detailed information on the case followed b...

Insert a blank paragraph and page number in footer
Hi, I'm trying to do something simple and have tried code snips from other answers on this site but can't seem to make it work without errors. Our footers already contain a document name in 8pt font. I need to create a macro that will go into the footer, create a new paragraph at the beginning of the footer and center a page number in Times New Roman 12 pt font. So you end up with the page number centered on the first line and then the document name on the 2nd line, left aligned with an 8pt font. If the document has a different first page footer I do not want thte ...

can outlook be set to not display pictures
When outlook, (office 2000) is downloading messages, I have the preview pane open. As probably everyone gets, I am getting multiple messages that are spam, and mostly sex crap with naked pictures embedded in the message. So once the message is clicked on, the preview pane shows whatever is in the message, including the pictures. I wouldn't complain if they were half decent looking, but that's another story. Is there a way to not display pictures in the preview pane? I've got 2003 so not sure if it's the same in 2000 - but.. Tools>Options>Security>Change Auto...

2nd page prints cells black
When printing a multipage document and using cells to arrange information, the cells of pages 2 - the last page print black Is your printer driver current? What version Publisher are you using? -- Mary Sauer http://msauer.mvps.org/ "wes h" <wes h@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:668A2BEC-46E7-4861-B9F0-F5806E4AF7B4@microsoft.com... > When printing a multipage document and using cells to arrange information, > the cells of pages 2 - the last page print black using publisher 2007 and it prints the pages black even when printing to PDF complete. ...

Excel 2007 Page Break Adjustments causes a page break each cell
Win 7, Excel 2007. When we look at a document in page break view and then drag the page breaks to make the doucment fit on a page, the document will put a page break on each cell. It does not happen each time and a reboot does not fix. Deleting excel.exe helped as stated out on the Internet but this problem continues to return. It appears this problem is in many installations based on Internet Forums. Please help. Just a guess - have you checked for updated printer drivers that are good with Win 7? "BKaufman" wrote: > Win 7, Excel 2007. When we ...

Entourage: Problem with Task Custom View
I use a lot of custom views... They all work except this one... I select a new Custom View Window... I select...Tasks only I select...Due Date I select...Is in the month of... I select...June I have about 50 tasks with due dates in the month of June. When I set up the above mentioned custom view... I get only a blank window. Somebody please tell me what I am doing wrong. Thanks. michael ...

Form protect on 2 of 3 pages only
I have a 3+ page form. Page 1 and 2 are form protected with a password. The 3rd or more pages is to insert pictures documenting the information in pages 1 & 2. How can I form protect pages 1 and 2 only allowing pictures to be inserted on page 3+? Thanks Place a section break (next page) between pages 2 and 3. If there's a manual page break already in that location, delete it. Then, when you start enforcing protection on the form, you should have an option to select the sections that will be protected. Just click the applicable sections and you should be fine. I...

Office trial activation
I have just bought a new laptop but when I go to the Activation Assistant it brings up a webpage that has an HTTP Error 401.2. I have tried looking into the problem through the Microsoft website but it keeps asking me to go to the Internet Information Services Manager and there is nothing on my computer with that title. Does anyone have any idea how to get this sorted because I need to open the Activation Assistant to get my 25 digit product key! Help Elli -- elli2898 ------------------------------------------------------------------------ elli2898's Profile: htt...

Filtered Views 11-05-07
We have many custom entities defined for our system. My issue is that I only see Filtered views for some of them even though the enities seem to be set up in the same way. I am not sure what is causing some of the entities to have a custom view and others not. -- PLEASE do click on Yes or No button if this post is helpful or not for our feedback. uMar Khan :: Freelance Consultant Email Contact :: imumar at gmail dot com "AAA" wrote: > We have many custom entities defined for our system. My issue is that I only > see Filtered views for some of them even though t...

Ipaq
A user where I work has had problems with his Ipaq serial connection 'going to sleep' over the last couple of weeks. Here are some further details: It's an Ipaq 3890 using ActiveSync 3.7 on a Windows NT4 workstation running Office 97. He synchronises mail of approx 1.5g , which includes Office attachments. The PDA has been working fine for over a year on ActiveSync 3.5, and there has been no software upgrades or changes on the users PC. There are no error reports in any way, and nothing is shown in the event viewer. I have already tried the following: Reinstalled ActiveSync 3.5 R...

Display Excel/Access windows
I am running VBA in Access which opens and modifies an Excel workbook. How can I control which application (Access or Excel) is visible to the user? I want to sometimes show the Excel and sometimes the Access. Hi, Set the Application object's Visible property. Make sure you use error handling so that you do not leave the Access application invisible. Public Sub AccessingExcel() On Error GoTo Handle_Error Dim appExcel As New Excel.Application ' Make Excel visible appExcel.Visible = True ' Make current Access invisible Applicat...

horizontal page split
I need to easily split a page in half horizontally and am using Word 2007. There is writing on top and bottom and need to be able to cut page evenly in half. Any suggestions for formatting? On the Page Layout tab, click the dialog launcher in the bottom right corner of the Page Setup group. On the Margins tab of the Page Setup dialog, under "Multiple pages," select "2 pages per sheet" and leave the paper orientation at Portrait. You will get two landscape "pages" on each sheet. They can be handled just as you would a full-size page, including margins...

Data fields in an activity from a workflowrule
I can make an e-mail template and put data fields in teh e-mail and from the workflow i can send the e-mail automatically to teh customer. I also want a task to be performed by another user. I can make that task in workflow but I cannot, for instance, put the quotenumberin the task. Is there anyone who has solved this? As far as I know, I don't think, the option of linking an email with a field is possible. --- Regards Parasuraman >-----Original Message----- >I can make an e-mail template and put data fields in teh e-mail and from the >workflow i can send the e-mail auto...

constantly changing formatting + joining pages + range of "save to" options