OL 2003: Archive only selected subfolders - confusing

I used to  be able to archive just selected subfolders in OL 2000,
although it was annoying to have to reset the autoarchive properties
in the main folder.

Now that I am using OL 2003, I am confused.  It doesn't seem possible
(1) set auto-archive off for all folders
(2) turn on auto-archive for selected folders only.

If I got this to work again, I could cut my PST file size
dramatically.  I'm not in imminent danger of hitting  the dreaded 1.87
GB limit, but I do need to keep an eye on file size.

I live on Outlook <Private@privacy.org> wrote:

> I used to  be able to archive just selected subfolders in OL 2000,
> although it was annoying to have to reset the autoarchive properties
> in the main folder.
>
> Now that I am using OL 2003, I am confused.  It doesn't seem possible
> (1) set auto-archive off for all folders
> (2) turn on auto-archive for selected folders only.
>
> If I got this to work again, I could cut my PST file size
> dramatically.  I'm not in imminent danger of hitting  the dreaded 1.87
> GB limit, but I do need to keep an eye on file size.

Outlook 2003, if you are using a Unicode PST no longer has that dreaded
limit.  If you haven't already, convert your PST to a Unicode PST and you
won't have an issue.
--
Brian Tillman

0
tillman1952 (16053)
8/19/2004 2:50:59 PM
On Thu, 19 Aug 2004 10:50:59 -0400, "Brian Tillman"
<tillman1952@yahoo.com> wrote:

>I live on Outlook <Private@privacy.org> wrote:
>
>> I used to  be able to archive just selected subfolders in OL 2000,
>> although it was annoying to have to reset the autoarchive properties
>> in the main folder.
>>

>Outlook 2003, if you are using a Unicode PST no longer has that dreaded
>limit.  If you haven't already, convert your PST to a Unicode PST and you
>won't have an issue.

Thanks.  But I still have a problem with the sheer size of the files.
I do a daily tape backup of all the data files that have changed on my
system - saved my butt more than once.  (SCSI Exabyte 8720)

If I could archive some files, then I could get more days' woth of
backups on one tape.  And the backup would  go faster.

Attach OL
I'd like to save certain e-mails I get to a data storage area (example: D:\DataStorageArea) and have the email retrievable to an Access db record. Is there any way I can do this so that the link to the email will open up lets say Word (which is my e-mail editor)? Thanks Phil ...

Can visio 2003 open zip files?
I'm downloading some visio colllections from visiocafe.com . These collections all come as .zip files. Can Visio read these compressed files automatically? -- Stefan Lasiewski http://stefanco.com unfortunately not, al "Stefan Lasiewski" <StefanLasiewski@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:261B8AC4-8B9C-4678-ABB5-B6D2AD6BC7D9@microsoft.com... > I'm downloading some visio colllections from visiocafe.com . These > collections all come as .zip files. > > Can Visio read these compressed files automatically? > > -- > Stefan Lasiewski...

Outlook 2003 #95
Outlook 2003 form required cannot be displayed ...

2003 duplicating Junk Email
I have an executive who is currently running two machines at the same time(one in main office and one remote office) When junk email does come through it is duplicating in his Junk email folder. They are time stamped identical, etc. We were able to simulate the problem by setting up two laptops with the same profile (used my account instead this time). We kept them on at the same time and when spam came through it was also duplicated. Both mahcines have Office2K3 SP1 installed as well. Exchange version is 2K Any ideas would be greatly appreciated! Dave And what if you disable the Junk ...

Outlook 2003 multiple launch!
Installed Office 2K3 Pro on XP Pro SP1. Both are clean installs. When I start Outlook 2003, it starts up two instances. How can this be fixed? Sort of reminds me of Visio XP that would restart itself when I shut it down.... TIA Perry ...

CTreeCtrl and full row selection
Hello. I'm using CTreeCtrl in my MDI application (something like the CTReeCtrl of Windows Explorer). Currently, a user may select an item only if he hovers over the item text and presses the mouse L Button. I want that an item in the tree will be selected when the user presses the mouse L Button anywhere inside the row, and not only on the text. I tried adding a FullRowSelection style to the tree, but in that case all the row is highlighted and it looks very bad, I want that only the item text will be highlighted. In Windows Explorer it works fine somehow: When you press on any location in...

OL 2002 applying rules inconsistently
Hi Does ANYONE have the fix for this: OL 2002/XP pro/POP3 mail A SIMPLE rule gets applied only sometimes automatically, always works manually: "THRU <specified account>:MOVE TO <specified folder>" There are no other rules. Thanks, Ali ...

Outlook 2003 Improvements?
For anyone reading who has tried Outlook 2003 yet, any comments on it? Much improved? I read in an article something to the effect that, although for the most part there are not many improvements in the Microsoft Office 2003 applications that would make much difference to most users, not much different from the last version, there are more improvements in Outlook than the other applications. Have people who tried it found that to be the case? Any further explanation of what you like better? I don't have many complaints with Outlook 2002, except for problems with e-mail. I started using ...

Microsoft Office 2003
Hi I have installed Office 2003 on my new laptop with Office 2007and Vista. For some reason when I try to install the updates for 2003 I get the following message: "the expected version of your product was not found". Any idea what might be wrong? Microsoft doesn't recommend running multiple versions at the same time. If you do, it's generally suggested to install in release order: oldest to newest. Thus, the update installer is probably confused. Here's a super article by MVP Dian Chapman: http://pubs.logicalexpressions.com/pub0009/LPMArticle.asp?ID=...

Hosting multiple domains in Exchange 2003 SP2 Standard.
Hello! I have MS Exchange 2003 Standard with Service Pack 2. I would like to host several domains without having to configuring other domain controllers. But i cant make them work. Does any one knows how to do this? Thanks Alejandro On Mon, 2 Oct 2006 09:04:02 -0700, Alejandro <Alejandro@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: >Hello! >I have MS Exchange 2003 Standard with Service Pack 2. >I would like to host several domains without having to configuring other >domain controllers. But i cant make them work. >Does any one knows how to do this? > >Thanks > >Al...

XCH-2003 ESM Public Folder Administration
I have just inherited an XCH2003 (migrated from 5.5) server with public folder management issue: 1) When using the ESM (either on the server or installed in another location) You cannot view the existing list of folders under <Admin groups | Location | Folders | Public Folders> When right clicking and choosing view system folders a fatal error "The handle specified is invalid ID no: 80090301 Exchange System Manager" occurs preventing the view. 2) Same situation different location <Admin groups | Location | Servers | Server Name | 1st Storage Group | Public Folder Store | Pu...

How do I make OL synchronize w/ current email provider?
I currently have AOL as my internet provider, and want to become familiar with Outlook, but did not want it to be my email default, I thought I could have Outlook synchornize with my AOl email. Is this correct? And if so, how can I make that happen? In news:62F20161-05A4-464B-8E84-D5DFE6C06AAB@microsoft.com, Karen <Karen@discussions.microsoft.com> typed: > I currently have AOL as my internet provider, and want to become > familiar with Outlook, but did not want it to be my email default, I > thought I could have Outlook synchornize with my AOl email. Is this > correct? ...

Internet updates not working (Money 2003)
Hi: When I try to do an internet update to update my stock prices Money '03 hangs on the "Call Progress" window and I get a "Not Responding" message if I try to click anywhere in the program. There does not appear to be any internet communication initiated by the program even before it freezes so the problem is not some bad ticker symbol. I discovered if I turn the Messenger service off and back on I could sometimes get Money to make the connection and download my stock quotes successfully. I do have Zonealarm Pro firewall but I shut it off before I attempt t...

Exchange 2003 & MS CRM Network traffic
Hello We have a Windows 2003 AD infrastructure with Exchange 2003sp2 running on a dediated server. We have Microsoft CRM 3.0 on its own dedicated server. We have an issue with a couple of Vista Business client, with Outlook 2007, and CRM installed. When outlook is openned (and CRM client starts) - all is fine until user gets an email. Once an email is received, outlook.exe consumes c. 30% CPU and then opens a connection to the exchange server at a constant 3Mb/s. This continues till Outlook is closed and then comes back as soon as Outlook is restarted and a new email is received. There a...

Outlook 2003 #10
Is this an (free) upgrade for Office XP users or does one have to purchase the new office ap? John Unless you purchased "software assurance" with Office XP, Office 2003 is not a free upgrade. >-----Original Message----- >Is this an (free) upgrade for Office XP users or does one have to >purchase the new office ap? > >John >. > On Fri, 17 Oct 2003 08:16:25 -0700, Wm. B. Yeats <WBYeats@Ireland.com> wrote: >Is this an (free) upgrade for Office XP users or does one have to >purchase the new office ap? > If you purchased Microsoft Office XP aft...

how to make a leaflet on microsoft publisher 2003
im quite stuck, i have never used publisher and i need to make a leaflet but i have no clue on how to, any respponses would be appreciated. Open Publisher, New, Click Publications for Print, scroll down to Flyers. This will give you a guide on how a leaflet is setup. -- Mary Sauer MSFT MVP http://office.microsoft.com/ http://msauer.mvps.org/ news://msnews.microsoft.com "dmpm" <dmpm@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:C563C481-49B6-409D-B98E-E84477BD5609@microsoft.com... > im quite stuck, i have never used publisher and i need to make a leaflet but > i ...

How to have auto dialog box showing when selecting cell
I would like to have a dialog box appear each time a cell is selected in a column. I need the dialog box show the next cheque number and allow the user to change that if necessary. The cells cannot have a formula in it as that would cause problems when sorting. Is there a way to do this? Rob You could use data validation to do this. Firstly in an empty area of the worksheet define a cell that is equa to max(column range where the cehque numbers are shown) + 1. (ie max(a:a) + 1 Then set the data validation for the whole cheque input range to list list = the address of the new cell. Th...

starting OL 2000 with the /prefetch:1 command line switch
I have just become aware of the: /prefetch:1 command line switch to make applications start faster. For some reason, it works on my OE 6 program (and many others I have installed on my Pentium IV PC running XP Home SP2) but not on my OL 2000 program. When I start OL2000 with the following command line: "E:\Microsoft Office\Outlook2000\Office\OUTLOOK.EXE" /prefetch:1 I get an error message that says: the command line argument is not valid. Verify the switch you are using. Any ideas? Jay J <sonrisa322@comcast.net> wrote: > When I start OL2000 with the follo...

Access 2003 Running Sum Question
I have a report and sub-report that have running sums, one calculating Material In, the other calculating Material Out. I added a text box to calculate the inventory on hand (=Material In - Material Out). It works, but it pulls the first running sum calculation, not the last. It looks somewhat like below. Is there a way to get the Mat'l. Out Running sum to pull the latest amount by date or something? Any help is greatly appreciated. THANKS!!!! Material In 4/4/10 250 ft Running Sum Mat'l. In 250 ft ...

OL 2003
win Xp-Office 2003-OL2003. Its been a disaster...the worst ever product I bought. THe OL hangs (not responding). tried to follow all solutions-changed profile, options-other-name corrected, installed- reinstalled, nothing helps. the OL jsut stops responding after opening and the needs to be shut down (with the icon in the tray showing the message of ol server....which O don't use). Any help will be appreciated. Have you also tried this one: You may have a corrupted outcmd.dat file. This is the file that stores your toolbar customizations, and when it becomes corrupted, Outlo...

Xml validation exception only occurs outside debugger
Hi, I am experiencing a strange problem. I am reading and writing xml files via XmlDocument and XmlTextWriter. In the debugger everything works fine but outside the debugger (debug or release) I receive the following error: "The type initializer for "System.Xml.Schema.Validator" threw an exception." I wrote a small console app that contains the problem -- I've just attached the default class which gets run. Output outside the debugger is as follows ------------------ Creating xml file Reading xml file Error reading xml file The type initializer for "Syst...

Outlook 2003 and wrong encoding setting of the incoming mail
Hi, Some people can have wrong regional settings or wrong settings for the outgoing mail. In Outlook Express I had the opportunity to manually select the encoding of the incoming mails. Using this option I was able to read the incoming message even if the original encoding setting was wrong. In outlook 2003 there is no such a feature. I can set the default encoding for the outgoing mail. For the received messages I cannot do anything. Is there a way to overcome this? Thanks a lot. S�mer Yamaner MD ...

Upgrading OL 2K SP 3 to OL 2K3
Per subject, I am concerned about what will happen concerning the handling of attachments. In my current version (OL 2K SP 3) Outlook disables the activation of all suspect attatchments. There is NO configuration to change this in this scenario. I know that later versions of OL allowed for an attachment config. Will I be able to do an "upgrade", or will I be forced to remove OL 2K and reinstall OL 2K3 to get this ability? Thanks! -Frank Outlook 2000 (SP3) allows you to customize which attachments you want to see by modifying the registry. Perhaps http://www.slipstick.com/ou...

Printing Envelopes In Outlook 2003
Just upgraded to Outlook 2003 and I'm unable to print an envelope (via Word). Is there a way in 2003 to easly print just one envelope or lable rather than goiing the whole mail merge route? They way I USED to do it (and granted this may be a question for Word...) I would open word>envelopes and then select the Address Book icon and select a name. Since i've upgraded to Outlook 2003 that Address Book icon is not available (greyed out). Any suggestions?? Sounder wrote: > Just upgraded to Outlook 2003 and I'm unable to print an envelope > (via Word). > > Is the...

Sending automatically from Outlook 2003
My application needs to send automatically e-mails using Office Outlook 2003.The PC is in a remote substation without personnel.But before each e-mail be sent,there is a ! warning asking if I allow this message.I need to bypass this since nobody is there to answer. Please help me responding via e-mail. Thanks, Constantin Does the app really need to use Outlook for some reason? Can it not just send directly to the SMTP server? You may need to re-write your app - or look into a freeware app called ExpressClickYes that you can run on the PC in question - note that this is potentially dang...