OL 2002 - Attached MSG file - No body property returned - VB6 / VB.net

We have a large number of psts with emails bearing problematic MSG
attachments. The PST files appear to be from an Exchange environment
(Likely 2000). We are using VB6 to access the data via Outlook 2002
(we've tried 2003, but with the same results).

Outlook 2002 (sp-2) is not returning any value for the body property
of an attached MSG email items. When opening them in Outlook, you can
see that there is in fact body text which seems only to be visible
when viewed through the UI in OL.

Here is something odd:
1. When viewed in Quick View Plus (ver 6 & 8) it appears with only the
header and no body. (The subject line is present.)

2. Now, if you If you open the MSG file (after dragging it to a
folder) it displays the body text as it should (in an OL window).

3. Click Edit>>Edit message. (Then absolutely no changes made at all),
and then Save. (Replacing the MSG file that was originally saved.)

4. When viewed in Quick View Plus, the body now displays. (our code
sees it too.)

Additionally, it seems that in these cases, there is no value for the
author field. (Whether thru the UI or in the header.) There is a sent
and received time however, so we don't think that it is any kind of
draft.

This may or may not be relevant, but:
The parent email appears to be in Text format. The attached MSG is
harder to peg. In a viewer, there is an rtfl header present. However,
when the MSG file is saved as a file and then re-attached as an
attachment to a new email (whether the parent is HTML or Text), the
attached MSG email format displays as HTML. (This was tested with
various changes to the default email format preferences.)

As mentioned initially, the email and the MSG file are both being
accessed via VB6. We have processed many millions (literally) of
emails bearing MSG attachments without encountering this problem.

When we walk the code, we find that Outlook recognizes/returns no
value for the body property of this item. How can we programmatically
access this data or modify the state of the MSG file so that Outlook
can recognize the body?

Any help would be greatly appreciated. We are pretty good at getting
data from Outlook, but this one is quite an oddball.

Thank you.
JD
0
joed1085 (1)

Quattro Pro file conversion
I have some old QP 5.0 spread sheets that I would like to recover, I am presently using Excel 2000. Is there any way to get them up and running? You will need to open them on QP and have it convert them to XLS files. Success is not guaranteed. Bernard "Keith Jackson" <kyosajackson@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:027601c3877d$55663810$a401280a@phx.gbl... > I have some old QP 5.0 spread sheets that I would like to > recover, I am presently using Excel 2000. Is there any > way to get them up and running? ...

Import quicken download file
Hi, My financial institution doesn't offer a MS Money format download for my investments - I am only offered a QUicken QIF format file. I tried to download that QIF file and import it into Money 2003, but the import failed (partially) giving me a message "Not all columns could be imported" Any suggestions? Please help! Thanks - Joseph ...

Outlook 2002 network version
How can I tell if I have a network version of Outlook 2002 installed? I have people that want to share a centralized calendar which apparently needs a network version installed. There is no network version. You need to know if the users access an Exchange Server. To do that go to Tools, Email Accounts, View or Change Existing Email Accounts. The type of account will be listed there. -- Patricia Cardoza Outlook MVP Author - Special Edition Using Microsoft Office Outlook 2003 Lead Author - Access 2003 VBA Programmer's Reference Author - Absolute Beginner's Guide to Microsoft OneNo...

Importing large files
When I try to import a large file the wizard will allow me to get data upto 65536 rows. However when I try use the wizard again it won't let me start the row at 65537 ..tells me that it's an invalid integer. Help please ! Thanks in advance Hi Chris, Unfortunately, 65536 is the maximum number of rows that are allowed i Excel. I suggest either using Access (which allows for pretty much a many rows as you need) or by chunking the data into logical subsets i.e. 1 month/area/person/etc. per worksheet. Hope this helps! Chri -- Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com ...

Unable to access Outlook 2002 Out of Office Assistant
Not on toolbar and unable to locate way to resolve through tech support. Any suggestions? Do you have access to Exchange SErver? If not, you won't have this feature. You'll have to use the Rules Wizard. -- Patricia Cardoza Outlook MVP ***Please post all replies to the newsgroups*** "Stuart" <stuartr@studiocommunications.net> wrote in message news:040e01c34fe1$a053d3b0$a501280a@phx.gbl... > Not on toolbar and unable to locate way to resolve > through tech support. Any suggestions? Do you connect to a Microsoft Exchange server via the MS Exchange transport?...

Can visio 2003 open zip files?
I'm downloading some visio colllections from visiocafe.com . These collections all come as .zip files. Can Visio read these compressed files automatically? -- Stefan Lasiewski http://stefanco.com unfortunately not, al "Stefan Lasiewski" <StefanLasiewski@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:261B8AC4-8B9C-4678-ABB5-B6D2AD6BC7D9@microsoft.com... > I'm downloading some visio colllections from visiocafe.com . These > collections all come as .zip files. > > Can Visio read these compressed files automatically? > > -- > Stefan Lasiewski...

Reading plain text mails in Outlook 2002 with MS Word
In Outlook 2000, by using MS Word as the mail editor option, if i double-click on a message which is in Plain Text format, Word opens it and nicely formats the message so that in long messages with multiple conversations, each message in the long conversation is nicely separated and formatted which makes it very readable. However, in Outlook XP and above, MS Word is being used only to open messages in Rich Text format and Outlook's default editor is used to open Plain Text mails, which is devoid of any formatting and makes long mails with multiple conversations pretty unreadable. Is there ...

does windows XP Home Edition come with file converters
When I scan a document to Word it comes out scribbles Scribbles? -- <>>< ><<> ><<> <>>< ><<> <>>< <>><<> Graham Mayor - Word MVP My web site www.gmayor.com Word MVP web site http://word.mvps.org <>>< ><<> ><<> <>>< ><<> <>>< <>><<> dennis1007 wrote: > When I scan a document to Word it comes out scribbles ...

unable to set the locked property of the range class
Morning all. Using some code from Ryan H. on another post, from yesterday, I've set up my password protection routine, and am running across a 1004 error. I keep getting a "unable to set the locked property of the range class." In reading more on this, it appears that merged cells are my primary culprit (of which I have many). While I can remove some, some are necessary due to the operations being performed with other tasks. Is there any kind of a work around for this, so it will still perform the cell/range locking? Thank you. Ahh...merged cells. Working...

Minimize Outlook (2002) to the system tray
I found this goodie that minimizes Outlook to the system tray. (I think it was a registry entry.) Unfortunately, that icon needs to display the Outlook's system menu. If you need to shutdown (Windows or Outlook), you must open the program up and then shut it down. ---------- Will Pittenger E-Mail: mailto:will.pittenger@verizon.net All mail filtered by Qurb (www.qurb.com) ...

2003 compat with 2002
I use Money 2003 for my home finances. My workgroup at the office uses Money 2002 for tracking our office finances. How can I open my office files at home without upgrading them and making them useless to the rest of my workgroup at the office? By running multiple versions. "Domenick" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:2c0a501c46851$918070d0$a301280a@phx.gbl... > I use Money 2003 for my home finances. My workgroup at the > office uses Money 2002 for tracking our office finances. > How can I open my office files at home without upgrading &...

Filter on Return Path
Is there a way to filter mail based on the return path domain? ...

Is there a way to recover a deleted file?
I have no idea how or even when, but I deleted a file containing background ..gif and .jpg information. Now my sight looks different (naturally), and some of them are replaceable. When you use other web builders, they "backup" all your old stuff. I can't seem to find any information regarding this possibility with FrontPage. Am I just at the mercy of the cyber gods or is there a solution that I'm going to like? Regards, When you say deleted them do you mean to say you used the "delete" button on your keyboard? If so then these files must...

OL 2002 applying rules inconsistently
Hi Does ANYONE have the fix for this: OL 2002/XP pro/POP3 mail A SIMPLE rule gets applied only sometimes automatically, always works manually: "THRU <specified account>:MOVE TO <specified folder>" There are no other rules. Thanks, Ali ...

Problem converting Money 2002 files to Money 2008
I've downloaded free trial version of Money 2008 for the purpose of converting my Money 2002 files to something Quicken can read. (Changing to Quicken because Microsoft is ending support for Money). Every time I tried to sign into Money 2008, I get a window that hangs up and eventually crashes the program. The window says "Converting file..." with a progress bar that never even begins to fill. If it helps, here are the "Problem Details" after the program crashes: Problem details: Problem Event Name: APPCRASH Application Name: MSMoney.EXE Appl...

central storage of .pst files ..
Is there anyway off setting a central files location like a fileserver to store users .pst files , in such a way that which ever pc a user use on the network, their .pst is the same file & thus the emails are always there ? a way seems to me is anyway to deploy a customized package on all pc's that automatically maps that fileserver location for each users individually . input needed thanks On Tue, 17 May 2005 20:09:59 -1000, S t i n g r a y <sting@youbastard.com> wrote: > Is there anyway off setting a central files location like a fileserver to > store users .pst ...

Converting 2002 data to later version
Have tried to upgrade with no luck, tried 2003 and the 2004 demo, they say incompatable version to my 2002 data file? Anyone? Regard, Dingo In microsoft.public.money, Dingo wrote: >Have tried to upgrade with no luck, tried 2003 and the 2004 demo, they say >incompatable version to my 2002 data file? Money cannot open a version localized for another country. See also http://umpmfaq.info/faqdb.php?q=1. "Dingo" <rodeb69@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:L9Qkc.7404$TT.2351@news-server.bigpond.net.au... > Have tried to upgrade with no luck, tried 2003 and the 2004...

Money 2002
Problem with sum of i.e. debits or credits, just show as ######, instead of real figures. An Envelope sign next to cheque number under NUM colum What would this mean? Thanks you all. ...

copy properties Under forms
Hi, I'm wondering if someone can help me with something on copying properties. I've checked the access help but can't find anything there. This is what i want to do. I'm copying text boxes, labels that has caption, name and other information in the properties that i want to keep when i copy the information to another tab on a form. Is there a way i can copy the property information without doing alot of manual work by going into each text or label box. I hope this makes sense. thanks for you help in advance. Keith When you copy a control, everything about the cop...

Return 1 Item
If a customer purchases 5 items and want to return one of them at a later date, what is the proper procedure for this? I can recall a transaction for return, but I don't want to return all the items on the transaction, but only one. How do I go about this, and how do we know by looking at the original receipt that item(s) where returned? How is everybody else doing this? You can select line items and delete them from the return transaction by simply hitting the <DELETE> key. The original receipt won't change no matter what you do. I'm not really sure what you'...

File modified by another user
I have recently upgraded my PC to Windows XP SP2 and am having a curious problem. When I attempt to save the file, I get a dialog box stating the file might have been modified by another user - do I wish to save a copy or overwrite changes. The workbook is not shared - however, it does reside on a Linux Samba share. But then again, it has always resided on the share. Only since the SP2 update, has this started happening: These are the steps I followed: 1. Opened Excel 2. Opened the file on the Samba share 3. Clicked SAVE 4. Got the dialog box asking to overwrite changes or s...

SQL 2005
Hi, I am trying to import an excel file to a SQL 2005 table from client Management Studio and am receiving following error (it works fine when done directly from the server) Error 0xc00470fe: Data Flow Task: The product level is insufficient for component. I went through couple of blogs where they suggested to upgrade to SP3. My server is running SP3 but the version of my client Management Studio is 9.00.1399.00. I also do not see SSIS when I go to Management Studio -> Help -> About. Could anyone let me know how can i resolve this issue. Thank you. ...

Cannot open the Insert object (Pdf file) form Excel 2000(9.0.8968 SP-3)
Dear All, I am no idea why I cannot open the embedded object (Pdf file) inside Excel file which using Windows ME. Once clicked the object icons, then it shows the error message likes " the embedded object cannot be opened by the source application" I used the Adobe reader 6.01 as the source application. Actually, I searched the related forum from the Internet. However, I cannot solve the problem. Anyone helps? Thanks tlee Hi, I can't test 2000 in ME, but it works fine in 2003 under XP. -- If this helps, please click the Yes button. Cheers, Shane Devenshire &q...

Outlook 2002 Crashes on Startup
It used to work fine, but know upon startup it crashes with the following details Faulting application outlook.exe, version 10.0.4510.0, faulting module msvcrt.dll, version 7.0.2600.1106, fault address 0x00033e08. Any ideas? Have you installed all the service packs for Outlook 2002? -- Jocelyn Fiorello MVP - Outlook *** Replies sent to my e-mail address will probably not be answered -- please reply only to the newsgroup to preserve the message thread. *** In news:2b8f01c39534$872a4c00$7d02280a@phx.gbl, DZS wrote: > It used to work fine, but know upon startup it crashes > wit...

how do I open spreadsheet xls file
I have tried and tried to open an attatchment Excel spreadsheet (file extension:xls) and it just won't work.I can't find out what program created it.Any help would be great. Thank you Leon Crosby Leon - You mean an email attachment? Try to save it from email to your hard disk. For security, some email programs can be changed to prevent opening of attachments. - Jon ------- Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP Peltier Technical Services Tutorials and Custom Solutions http://PeltierTech.com/ _______ raleon wrote: > I have tried and tried to open an attatchment Excel spreadsheet ...