ntuser.dat error message

When I bring up Outlook Express, I'm receiving the
following error message:
Cannot delete ntuser.dat: It is being used by another
person or program. Close any programs that might be using
the file and try again.
This just started happening in the past few days. Outlook
is the 1st thing (and only program that I know of) that
is running.
How can I make this stop. I'm lost.
Regards
Gerry
0
gwelzig (1)

Hi Gerry,

I understand you are receiving the following error message when you open Outlook Express.
"Cannot delete ntuser.dat: It is being used by another person or program, close any programs that might be using this file and try again."

Based on my experience, this issue can occur if you have changed the message storage folder location or the user profile is not released after user's logging off. I suggest you perform the steps
below to test this issue.

Step One: Create New Identity
-----------------------------

Please create a new identity to isolate this issue.

1. Click Start, point to All Programs (or Programs), point to Accessories, and click Address Book.

2. Click on the File menu, and click "Switch Identity".

3. Choose "Main Identity", and click OK.

4. Click on the File menu again, and click "Switch Identity".

5. Click "Manage Identities". Click New to create a new Identity.

6. Type the name for the new Identity, and click OK.

7. Click Yes to switch to the new Identity.

8. Click on the File menu again, and click "Switch Identity".

9. Click "Manage Identities", select "Main Identity" for the following options, and click Close:

(1) Use this identity when starting a program.
(2) Use this identity when a program does not ask you to choose an identity.

10. Now, launch Outlook Express and to check whether or not the problem still occurs.

If the problem still occurs, please perform the steps below to test this issue in a new user account.

Step 2
--------------------

1. Click Start, and click Control Panel.

2. Double-click "User Accounts".

3. Click the "Create a new account" link.

4. Follow the instructions to create a new account with Administrator rights.

5. Log off the current user account and then log on the new account to test this issue.

Regards,

Scott Atkins MCSE, MCSA
Partner Technical Lead - Outlook
Microsoft Technical Support
for Platforms and Business Applications
--------------------
>From: "Gerry" <gwelzig@hotmail.com>
>Sender: "Gerry" <gwelzig@hotmail.com>
>Subject: ntuser.dat error message
>Date: Thu, 12 Feb 2004 11:43:33 -0800
>Newsgroups: microsoft.public.outlook
>
>When I bring up Outlook Express, I'm receiving the
>following error message:
>Cannot delete ntuser.dat: It is being used by another
>person or program. Close any programs that might be using
>the file and try again.
>This just started happening in the past few days. Outlook
>is the 1st thing (and only program that I know of) that
>is running.
>How can I make this stop. I'm lost.
>Regards
>Gerry

0
scatki (156)

MAPI error importing contacts into Outlook 2002
I am trying to import contacts from ACT 6.0 into Outlook 2002, but I receive the following error: "An error occurred while importing or exporting and the import/export was terminated. MAPI error 0X80070057 was reported. Please try to import/export again later." I have close to 3000 contacts I'm trying to import, but it always gives me an error after importing 750 of them. I've tried importing via Excel and via a tab delimited text file, eliminating the non-matching fields and mapping everything. I've also tried seeing if there was any data around record #750 tha...

smtp 451 ERROR #2
In the past day or two I've been getting a postmaster with "smtp;451 Temporary local problem - please try later" in the body. This does not always happen. What is this? Thanks, Probably greylisting. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Greylisting --- David L. West http://www.deskoptional.com ...

Error msge on closing Outlook back again
Sorry Ben but it has come back again. Ran the scanpst twice but it does not seem to make a permanent cure. I read somewhere that one of the security updates was the cause of this but it was supposed to have been cured by a later update. As my PC is automatically updated and has all the avauilable udates installed what do I try next? Thanks ...

winmail.dat using outlook and microsoft exchange server
I can't forward attachments I received. The recipients receive winmail.dat instead of the correct attachment. I am using Outlook 2000 and Direcway (by the way I would never use them again) which uses, according to their tech support, Microsoft exchange server. any help would be appreciated thanks "darla" <slandaal@nase.org> wrote in message news:05e501c34cd1$3dc396d0$a401280a@phx.gbl... > I can't forward attachments I received. The recipients > receive winmail.dat instead of the correct attachment. I > am using Outlook 2000 and Direcway (by the way ...

Installation error 01-31-07
Hi I have previously installed CRM 3.0 but have recently had to rebuild or development server. On trying to reinstall CRM 3.0 I am getting the following error during the system verification final check: "Login failed for user ''. The user is not associated with a trusted SQL Server connection." Upon checking event viewer it shows the following additional info: "SSPI handshake failed with error code 0x8009030c while establishing a connection with integrated security; the connection has been closed." Any ideas please.. Chubbly ...

export type error in report publishing
when i publish any report from GP to Business Portal then i recieved a message that "export type error" and when i see help for this error, help emphisis on installing PDF writer. can u tell me what is the right solution? ...

Cannot Reply to Messages
I've got a unique error i've never seen before. When a client goes to reply to a message (be it right-click>reply, clicking reply, etc), they get an error message "The Operation Failed" and it closes out. This is in Outlook 2003, it has worked fine for a loooong time, and this problem just popped up. I've searched around online with minimal results. The closest thing i've found thus far is this KB article http://support.microsoft.com/?scid=kb;en-us;312354&spid=2520&sid=global , however, that's not exactly the problem. Anyways, besides re-loa...

CRM Error message
I have one user that always seems to incur issues with viewing certain quotes or opportunities, and sometimes workplace activities. He is the only one in our company that uses CRM that has this problem. For example, when he tries to "open in new window" an attachment to a note...he receives the following error message: 'C:\Documents and Settings\userid.domain\Local Settins\Temporary Internet Files\Content.IE5\K9EVODE3\filename.xls' could not be found. Check the spelling of the filename and and that the file location is correct. If you are trying to ope the file fro...

Please help! Error message "mnycopymar"?
Just recently upgraded to Ms Money 2005 and updated online but I keep getting the following errors:- "mnycopymar has encountered a problem and needs to close" and "mnyupdate@#@.exe has encountered a problem and needs to close" I have no idea why this is happening but would sure appreciate someone to help me get rid of this nagging errors. Thanks! Excalibur In microsoft.public.money, excalibur wrote: >Just recently upgraded to Ms Money 2005 and updated online but I keep >getting the following errors:- > > >"mnycopymar has encountered a proble...

permissions errors
I am receiving "Unable to save file due to permissions error" message when attemtping to save files to my flash drive. As a aresult, I am unable to save any documents to that drive. Save to the hard drive and copy to the flash drive. You will find a macro to facilitate that at http://www.gmayor.com/automatically_backup.htm -- <>>< ><<> ><<> <>>< ><<> <>>< <>><<> Graham Mayor - Word MVP My web site www.gmayor.com Word MVP web site http://word.mvps.org <>>< ><...

Help with error
I have a worksheet with 12 months of budgets. I wrote a macro that is suppose to copy the most recent budget year to the new year. It then executes several commands in an effort to initialize the new worksheet. One of the routines is a sort. This sort was copied from another routine and pasted into this macro. It works in the other routine. The only difference is that this sort is now in a For/Next loop (since I have to process 12 budgets) and therefore I had to make a couple of the variables an array. The error I get is this: Run-time error 1004 Select method of Ran...

NTUSER.DAT and pagefile
I wonder if my NTUSER.DAT file is too big: 17,920 kb I wonder also if pagefile.sys file is too big: 2,095,104 kb I have xp pro and office 2003 thanks Learner, Who told you that they are too big? -- SPAMCOP User "Learner" <cdnhermit@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:%23HHv30saKHA.5036@TK2MSFTNGP06.phx.gbl... >I wonder if my NTUSER.DAT file is too big: 17,920 kb > I wonder also if pagefile.sys file is too big: 2,095,104 kb > > I have xp pro and office 2003 > > thanks > "Learner" <cdnhermit@hotmail.c...

Send/Receive Error messages
This message or a similar one shows up when I try to send receive messages in Outlook or Outlook Express. Task 'pop.earthlink.net - Receiving' reported error (0x8004210A) : 'The operation timed out waiting for a response from the receiving (POP) server. If you continue to receive this message, contact your server administrator or Internet service provider (ISP). The server responded: -ERR syntax error' I have contacted my ISP and I am told that it is a Microsoft issue. I have re-installed Office 2003 and Windows XP. Nothing seems to help. I'm just a little b...

How do I get around Excel formula is too long error message?
I am in the process of creating multiple links to multiple wookbooks (within one cell) and keep running into the problem that the formula will start giving me the error message that the formula is too long. Is there a way that I could disable this feature, thus allowing me to expand the formula to include additional links to additional workbooks. Please advise. Thanks Hi post yoiur existing formula. This is not a feature but a fixed restriction (no way around it). Some common solutions - split your formula - use defined names -- Regards Frank Kabel Frankfurt, Germany Chris wrote: &...

Unkown Error
I'm using Office XP and although Outlook connects OK it sometimes comes up with an error message 'mail.plus.net - Sending and Receiving' reported error (0x800CCC097) Unknown Error' Not very helpful so I was wondering if anyone knew what causes this or where I can lookup the erro message number. Regards, Jerry ...

External Error
Hello all, I am in the process of using the redeployment tool to move an existing environment to a new domain. During the user mapping and deployment process I ran into an issue where one of the security roles was not getting imported properly. I worked with Microsoft support to get the issue resolved and basically needed to clean out one of the security roles in the Deployment file. The active directory mapping/deployment process completed successfully. When I went to install MSCRM to the existing databases I ran into a few errors: 1.) The Security Service could not be registered and 2.) ...

Message auto defaulted to 50% when using Word as the e-mail editor
I have a problem with Outlook defaulting the view to 50% when using Word as the e-mail editor. Does anyone know how to resolve this? Thanks! ...

SVC_Explorer_Background_Custom error
on GP9, received error: Access has been denied to form SVC_Explorer_Background_Custom once click on Smart List. pls advice. thks. it means you removed security for this form for this user (in field service dictionary). put it back again and the error message will go away. patrick dev support -- This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights. "HFLo" <HFLo@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:FE3C24FB-FB2A-4536-BA78-A124A276C213@microsoft.com... > on GP9, > received error: > Access has been denied to form &g...

exchange c0070035 errors
When adding sp3, or external contact, i get the win32 error c0070035. exchange extension. i have looked through groups and support, the remote registry is running, has full permissions. have checked out winreg in regestry to check permissions. i get no specific error oin the log files. any other suggestions please. PCSWA This sounds familiar. Can you just simply modify a contact or user's e-mail address? I have seen an issue that occurs like this when the person that is modifying the addresses does not have local administrator rights on the machine? What version of Exchange and W...

auto forwarding messages
Does anyone know how to set up Outlook so that when you recieve an email it is automatically forwarded to someone else? ...

Permission Error
I just created a new user and mailbox in Exchange. I created a new profile in Outlook for that mailbox. Now when I try to open Outlook using that profile, I get the following message: "Cannot start Microsoft Outlook You do not have Permission to log on" Any Ideas? ...

Error in action posturl
Hi, I am having a problem with PostURL workflow rule This is the procedure i followed. 1. Created and activate a PostURL workflow rule for "Create Action" on "Account" 2. The url is "http://localhost/CRMCustomServices/messages.asmx? notifyaccount" 3.After that I created a new "Account". But the MSCRMWorkflowService fired an error: Error: action {5D7566F9-AB08-43CA-BE1E-29AB88438CB3} failed in step {389090D5-FD32-46C7-909D-AFB26B5748EC} of process instance {2114167A-1C31-4346-84D6-1236480035CE}. <description>Error in action posturl.<...

OWA login error: Microsoft VBScript runtime error
Hello. We are on Exchange 5.5 sp4 with NT4.0 sp6a. I have serveral users that cannot log into OWA using ie6.0. I get a Microsoft VBScript runtime error '800a0005' Invalid procedure call or argument: 'Right' /exchange/USA/login.asp, line 27. This only happens to a few users. All their windows explorer's critical updates and patches are good. Has anyone seen this problem? Thanks "steve" <shn1970@yahoo.com> wrote in message news:uu7Ph1meEHA.3792@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl... > Hello. We are on Exchange 5.5 sp4 with NT4.0 sp6a. I have serveral users > ...

post CString as message parameter
What is the best way to pass CString as message parameters? For example CString mystring; CMyWindow::PostMessage(MY_MESSAGE, (WPARAM)mystring, (LPARAM)0)? Thanks, John homecurr@yahoo.com wrote: > What is the best way to pass CString as message parameters? For example > > CString mystring; > CMyWindow::PostMessage(MY_MESSAGE, (WPARAM)mystring, (LPARAM)0)? > > Thanks, > > John If your application has the need to do this, I *strongly* recommend you evaluate your design. It poses all kinds of problems, like where and how do you allocate memory? Where and how do ...

diff between SMTP log and Message tracking
Can someone explain the main differences between the message tracking log and the SMTP log on Exchange 2003? I know that the message tracking log is much more complete but does the SMTP log contain any info that the message tracking log does not? Message Tracking Log is used to track a message within your Exchange Organization, including whether a message was delivered to a particular mailbox or is stuck in a queue (something SMTP logs can't tell you... ). In other words, this is a more Exchange Org-specific view of message traffic. SMTP (protocol) logs show SMTP interaction with ...