Not able to send mail to distribution list

HI all,

I am using Office Outlook 2003.
I am not able to send mail to the distribution lists i have created in
the contacts.
Even if i go to contacts and try to send a message to the list from
there, it is not recognized in the Send To field while sending mail.
Please Help.

Thanks and Regards
Ravpreet Singh

What happens when you try? Do you get an error message?

--
-Ben-
Ben M. Schorr, MVP

"Jammy" <singh.ravpreet@gmail.com> wrote in message
> HI all,
>
> I am using Office Outlook 2003.
> I am not able to send mail to the distribution lists i have created in
> the contacts.
> Even if i go to contacts and try to send a message to the list from
> there, it is not recognized in the Send To field while sending mail.
> Please Help.
>

> Thanks and Regards
> Ravpreet Singh

0
bens1 (1425)
9/20/2007 8:02:27 AM
Thanks for your reply, I am not getting any error message.
My distribution list is named "abc", If I type abc in the To field and
click on Send the message that comes is

"Microsoft Office Outlook does not recognize abc"

Do i Have to enable or change any options to use Distribution Lists?

Thanks and Regards
Ravpreet Singh

On Sep 20, 5:12 am, Jammy <singh.ravpr...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Thanks for your reply, I am not getting any error message.
> My distribution list is named "abc", If I type abc in the To field and
> click on Send the message that comes is
>
> "Microsoft Office Outlook does not recognize abc"

I am not sure exactly why the "Help" information explains it this way
and, is commonly encountered, the a authors did not explain the logic
behind their answer, but could it apply to your situation?

"If you received a distribution list as an e-mail attachment, only the
e-mail addresses that are in the Global Address List (Global Address
List: The address book that contains all user, group, and distribution
list e-mail addresses in your organization.  The administrator creates
and maintains this address book.  It may also contain public folder e-
mail addresses.) will work.

HELP TITLED: "Troubleshoot distribution lists" (returned when keywords
[distribution list] searched)
Addresses that are from a Personal Address Book (Personal Address
Book: A customizable address book used to store personal e-mail
addresses you use frequently. However, Contacts offers more advanced
features for this function. Personal Address Book files have a .pab
extension and can be copied to disk.) or Contacts folder will not
work.  You will need to get those contacts (contact: Person, inside or
outside of your organization, about whom you can save several types of
information, such as street and e-mail addresses, telephone and fax
numbers, and Web page URLs.) or addresses from the sender and add them
to your Personal Address Book or Contacts folder."

(this has more details then when I copied it, apparently because it
'expanded' the linked explanation)

It sounds like they are saying if you import a list of e-mail
addresses and that is the only thing they contain, that it is not
enough information to form a "complete address" and as such is not
acceptable.

Furthermore, there is this...
HELP TITLED: "Send a distribution list"
"If you want to send a distribution list to someone, and the
distribution list contains members from the Global Address List
(Global Address List: The address book that contains all user, group,
and distribution list e-mail addresses in your organization. The
administrator creates and maintains this address book. It may also
contain public folder e-mail addresses.), be sure that the recipient
of the distribution list also uses that same Global Address List."

Is the distribution list composed of entries you typed in manually?
(e.g. one by one)

Any additional details you can provide will be helpful to someone
hoping to offer advice.

Kindest regards,
~ Zarniwoop

0
costeaden (1)
9/20/2007 12:40:29 PM
On Sep 20, 5:40 pm, Klaatu01 <costea...@amsec.com> wrote:
> On Sep 20, 5:12 am, Jammy <singh.ravpr...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > Thanks for your reply, I am not getting any error message.
> > My distribution list is named "abc", If I type abc in the To field and
> > click on Send the message that comes is
>
> > "Microsoft Office Outlook does not recognize abc"
>
> I am not sure exactly why the "Help" information explains it this way
> and, is commonly encountered, the a authors did not explain the logic
> behind their answer, but could it apply to your situation?
>
> "If you received a distribution list as an e-mail attachment, only the
> e-mail addresses that are in the Global Address List (Global Address
> List: The address book that contains all user, group, and distribution
> list e-mail addresses in your organization.  The administrator creates
> and maintains this address book.  It may also contain public folder e-
> mail addresses.) will work.
>
> HELP TITLED: "Troubleshoot distribution lists" (returned when keywords
> [distribution list] searched)
> Addresses that are from a Personal Address Book (Personal Address
> Book: A customizable address book used to store personal e-mail
> addresses you use frequently. However, Contacts offers more advanced
> features for this function. Personal Address Book files have a .pab
> extension and can be copied to disk.) or Contacts folder will not
> work.  You will need to get those contacts (contact: Person, inside or
> outside of your organization, about whom you can save several types of
> information, such as street and e-mail addresses, telephone and fax
> numbers, and Web page URLs.) or addresses from the sender and add them
> to your Personal Address Book or Contacts folder."
>
> (this has more details then when I copied it, apparently because it
> 'expanded' the linked explanation)
>
> It sounds like they are saying if you import a list of e-mail
> addresses and that is the only thing they contain, that it is not
> enough information to form a "complete address" and as such is not
> acceptable.
>
> Furthermore, there is this...
> HELP TITLED: "Send a distribution list"
> "If you want to send a distribution list to someone, and the
> distribution list contains members from the Global Address List
> (Global Address List: The address book that contains all user, group,
> and distribution list e-mail addresses in your organization. The
> administrator creates and maintains this address book. It may also
> contain public folder e-mail addresses.), be sure that the recipient
> of the distribution list also uses that same Global Address List."
>
> Is the distribution list composed of entries you typed in manually?
> (e.g. one by one)
>
> Any additional details you can provide will be helpful to someone
> hoping to offer advice.
>
> Kindest regards,
> ~ Zarniwoop

Thanks for your brief reply

The distribution list was manually created by  me. All members were
added by me by selecting them from Global Address List. It's working
on my friend's PC but not on mine. Please reply if you require any
other additional details.

Thanks and Regards
Ravpreet Singh

On 21 sep, 11:22, Jammy <singh.ravpr...@gmail.com> wrote:
> [...]
> > administrator creates and maintains this address book. It may also
> > contain public folder e-mail addresses.), be sure that the recipient
> > of the distribution list also uses that same Global Address List."
>
> > Is the distribution list composed of entries you typed in manually?
> > (e.g. one by one)
>
> > Any additional details you can provide will be helpful to someone
> > hoping to offer advice.
>
> > Kindest regards,
> > ~ Zarniwoop
>
> Thanks for your brief reply
>
> The distribution list was manually created by  me. All members were
> added by me by selecting them from Global Address List. It's working
> on my friend's PC but not on mine. Please reply if you require any
> other additional details.
>
> Thanks and Regards
> Ravpreet Singh- Tekst uit oorspronkelijk bericht niet weergeven -

You should try this:

To add any folder containing Contact items to the Outlook Address
Book:
Right-click the folder, choose Properties from the pop-up menu, and
switch to the Outlook Address Book tab.
Check the box for Show this folder as an e-mail Address Book.
You can enter a new Name of the address book to make it easier to
distinguish from other Contacts folders. The name change affects only
the address book display, not the actual name of the folder.
Click OK.
If you are using Outlook 97 or Outlook 98/2000 in Corporate/Workgroup
mode and want Outlook to use the folder to resolve names, click Tools
| Services | Addressing and add the folder to the list of address
lists for name resolution.

Is the distribution list in your default Contacts folder?  Is that contacts
folder set to be an Outlook E-mail Address book?

--

> Thanks for your reply, I am not getting any error message.
> My distribution list is named "abc", If I type abc in the To field and
> click on Send the message that comes is
>
> "Microsoft Office Outlook does not recognize abc"
>
> Do i Have to enable or change any options to use Distribution Lists?
>
> Thanks and Regards
> Ravpreet Singh

0
bens1 (1425)

processing my mail at another PC
i have cable wanadoo broadband basic/ sitecom router DC202 V3/ windows XP on the main PC ( outlook express 6.0 ) and just yesterday i connected another PC to the network ( windows 2000 pro outlook 6.0 ). how can i arrange all this so that i can read and edit my mail from which ever PC I'm at? Thanks John I could'nt find the FAQ's, ... I dont believe you can sync mail between two different apps. You would I believe need to use either OE or OL on both "john" <kade108NOSPAM@wanadoo.nl> wrote in message news:4125c73b$0$8025$ee9da40f@news.wanadoo.nl... > i ha...

How do I send email mail merge from Outlook?
Hi, I'm evaluating CRM at the moment. I'd like to send email mail merges to single or multple contacts using templates that contain html images and custom CRM fields. I'd also like the email to be linked to the contact record. Could anyone tell me how to do this from within the Outlook client please. (I don't seem to have the settings tab available within Outlook). ...

Within domain mail going to Junk Email on some users?
Hi Everyone, I have a weird situation, not sure if Exchange is causing it or if Outlook is. When certain users email others within our single domain, their mail goes directly to the recipient's junk email folder? Any thoughts as to why? No Rules are causing it that I can see... Thanks! On Thu, 5 Jan 2006 06:01:02 -0800, "Ken Montgomery" <KenMontgomery@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: >Hi Everyone, > >I have a weird situation, not sure if Exchange is causing it or if Outlook >is. > >When certain users email others within our single domain, t...

cannot send attachment #2
my outlook will not let me send an attachment--help kelly <jfgeiger@verizon.net> wrote: > my outlook will not let me send an attachment--help What happens when you try? What version of Outlook? -- Brian Tillman ...

How do I import mbox mail files into Outlook XP
We recently shifted one of our Linux desktops back to Windows. I have a need to import mail from the employee's Linux data. The mail is stored in Unix-style mbox files. How can I import these into Outlook XP? Thanks, Jason On Thu, 7 Aug 2003 11:13:44 -0700, "Jason Komar" <jkomar@lubetec.com> wrote: >We recently shifted one of our Linux desktops back to >Windows. I have a need to import mail from the employee's >Linux data. The mail is stored in Unix-style mbox files. >How can I import these into Outlook XP? You may have to export the data to a csv file,...

Is this do-able?
Hello Everybody. A user has created a 'select' query in MS Access. He normally 1/ runs the query (the user is prompted for an 'end' date / filter) 2/ switches to 'pivot table view' 3/ exports to MS Excel We would love to do this in one step. Any suggestions? * I know how to link to external data in MS Excel, and could then refresh the raw data in Excel. However, the number of lines in my resulting spreadsheet varies so my pivot table would have to be recreated or the range reset, I believe. Thank you for any ideas. (** Is there a better newsgroup to post thi...

Mail items deselected after sort
In all prior versions of Outlook, you could select several mail items, then sort by a different column, and all of your previously selected items would still be selected. In Outlook 2007, all of the mail items except the last one selected are deselected after a sort. Does this bother anyone else? Is there a fix? Thanks, Cathy ...

View List of Connected Users in Business Portal
Prior to rebooting or applying patches to Business Portal server, we need to view and see list of connected users in Business Portal so we can ensure we do not accidentally disconnect them while they are working. I understand we can view who has what databases open in SQL server hosting the Great Plains database where we can view activities. However, it would be nice to view within Business Portal server who is connected and have ability to notify those users to disconnect or that server is going offline. Thanks, Shelley ---------------- This post is a suggestion for Microsoft, and Mi...

How can set up Excel to be able to print checks?
I wish to be able to build a template so I can print checks from an excel program. This file might be a help: http://www.bygsoftware.com/examples/zipfiles/num2wrds.zip It's in the "Accountants" section on page: http://www.bygsoftware.com/examples/examples.htm It contains the "SPELLNUMBER" function, which can be used in your spreadsheets, two methods to convert numbers to words and two cheque writing routines. The code is open and commented. -- Andy Wiggins FCCA www.BygSoftware.com Excel, Access and VBA Consultancy - "catherine" <catherine@discussio...

recently used file list unavailable
Hi, suddenly I cannot see any recently used files in my File menu. I looked in Options/General but the "Recently used file list" is grayed out and I would like to know how to reactivate it. Thanks for your help Horst Excel 2000 Windows 2000 Perhaps you recently used Tweak UI or a similar program as described in this article: http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;284896 -- Jim "horst" <hweXXX@bluewin.ch> wrote in message news:Oh51EpZRFHA.2784@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl... | Hi, | suddenly I cannot see any recently used files in my File menu. | I loo...

Send/eceive status
I recently had to reinstall my operating system and consequently Outlook. Previously when I hit the send/recieve button I got a nice little status bar in the lower corner of the screen that indicated how many messages were being sent/received and I think it also showed the time left in the process. I cannot find how to get that back. I can only find the larger more obnoxious send/receive window that really only shows the two tasks of sending and receiving. Any tips would be greatly appreciated. -- fisharch Hi, To hide the send/receive window, just need to check the &quo...

IMF
I have a strange problem. Messages are getting moved to the Junk E-mail folder even though they have a rating of 1. Even though both settings in IMF on Exchange are set to 8. This is happening on messages that I have sent to myself from my personal mailbox which I know are not marked as spam in Outlook. It even happens on some messages that are from internal senders. This really makes me worry. Frankie - Have you restarted the Information Store since loading up the IMF? This is required for the threshold setting to be read from the AD (where it is stored) and for proper store action...

Drive List
I'm new fro C++. In VB there are 2 control : DriveListBox and DirListBox. I'm not able to find something of similar in C++. Can someone tell me how to solve this little problem ? Thanks Hi, I guess you have to do that manually. Using a combobox, GetLogicalDrives() and GetVolumeInformation() functions Regards, Elias "alb460" <alb460@nospam.virgilio.it> wrote in message news:08f901c3477d$af3eabf0$a101280a@phx.gbl... > I'm new fro C++. > In VB there are 2 control : DriveListBox and DirListBox. > I'm not able to find something of similar in C++. &g...

winxp not able to join domain
hi! recently, i've some issues in a small grp of clients about 5% of the total 1000 PCs. We're not able to join these PCs into our win2003 domain. I've to rename the PCs before i can join to the domain. I've checked in the AD, the computer name is not there and all the dns, gateway and etc are correct. I didn't see any related msg in event viewer as well. for some of these pcs i've to re-join the domain for the user to login again. has anyone encouter this before? pls advise. thx Hello dkblee, Are the machines created from a not sysprepped image? Did...

Server and domain name in header on sent mail
We are currently running Exchange 5.5/SP4, but will very soon move to Exchange 2003. Our current 5.5 system will NOT send anything to AOL. I've been told, and from what I've read it's true, that it's because the reverse lookup for our server doesn't jive. Our MX record is for mail.domain.com. What shows up in the headers on outgoing mail is our internal server name and our internal active directory domain (instead of mail.domain.com). How can I replace our internal server name and AD name in the headers with "mail.domain.com"? We are NOT spammers. However se...

should be able to print ATP
I would like to be able to print out the Available to Promise information. ---------------- This post is a suggestion for Microsoft, and Microsoft responds to the suggestions with the most votes. To vote for this suggestion, click the "I Agree" button in the message pane. If you do not see the button, follow this link to open the suggestion in the Microsoft Web-based Newsreader and then click "I Agree" in the message pane. http://www.microsoft.com/Businesssolutions/Community/NewsGroups/dgbrowser/en-us/default.mspx?mid=2d089892-1a1b-4a8a-9e3e-16757d015fff&dg=micros...

Not able to modify another users shared tasks with owner permissio
Some of the users here have started using tasks and they have shared their tasks. Here is the senario. User A has some tasks and has given User B owner access to their tasks list. User B opens the shared tasks of User A and cannot change the names or due dates of any of the tasks. We are using outlook 2003 with a exchange 2003 server here. I have looked all over for a reason for this but havent found an answer any help would be greatly appreciate. Thanks, What *kind* of access? Haven&#8217;t tried it, but I&#8217;d bet the delegate permissions need to be set to &#8220;Ed...

Folder List View Save?
Using Outlook 2003 on Win 2k Server. I prefer to use the Folder List view for my Personal Folders. I'm having a problem with Outlook remembering which folders were expanded when I close and later reopen Outlook. For example, if I have this folder hierarchy under Personal Folders: A B ---B1 ---B2 ---B3 C ---C1 ---C2 ---C3 D Let's say that I don't want to take up the screen space to show the subfolders under "C". I collapse that folder, and it now looks like this: A B ---B1 ---B2 ---B3 C D I then exit Outlook, shut the PC off and go home. The next day, I start every...

Mail Merge to Excel?
Is it possible to do a mail merge from CRM to an Excel template? Steve Korosy AbilityCRM ...

outlook wont send email
I have been using outlook and incredimail for different users in the family. I added a Palm and had to make outlook my default mail. Now I can not send anything in the out box. I have checked all the settings to no avial. ...

Symantec Mail Security for Exchange 2007?
Has anyone installed Symantec Mail Security for Exchange on an Exchange 2007 Server? I have installed it on an Exchange 2000, and 2003 server but one of my clients wants to go to Exchange 2007 and I havent seen any details on if my current Symantec Mail Security 5 for Exchange will work or not. Any help would be great. Thanks, Chad On 5 Feb 2007 11:13:40 -0800, webit.csullivan@gmail.com wrote: >Has anyone installed Symantec Mail Security for Exchange on an >Exchange 2007 Server? I have installed it on an Exchange 2000, and >2003 server but one of my clients wants to go to Excha...

How can force enable macros to be able to open my workbook?
I would like to be able to force employees to enable macros for a certain workbook or it will not let them open the workbook. And maybe put a password on it so if i would like to modify the workbook without the macros enabled. set up the workbook so that the only sheet showing is one with a message which says "You must enable macros for this workbook to work." in a large obvious font. Have the workbook password protected and all sheets veryhidden. In the workbook_Open event, hid that message-sheet & display the sheets which you'd need to have visible. So, if the user disab...

OUTLOOK 2002 SEND issues
I have a user that when she sends a message it does not go to the sent floder ( cannot find where it goes)It is sent in outlook to save sent items in the sent folder HELP Do you see anything in the Sent Items folder? If you open the folder and select View | Current View, is the unread messages view selected? -- PATRICK REED [Outlook - MVP]~~~~~~ -Microsoft Certified Professional (MCP) -Have you checked http://www.slipstick.com? -Please post your Outlook version! "jay gardner" <jlgardner@ftb.com> wrote in message news:eab701c3f0a6$59771680$a501280a@phx.gbl... > ...

how do you print addresses in proper order when mail merge to a po
I create a postcard in publisher with 4 postcard to a 8.5 X 11 sheet of paper, when printing 1 sided all is well, when I print 2 sided (duplex printer) the address that goes with the client name on the front is not correct. I know this has to do with the orientation of the printer and how it "TURNS" the paper over for 2 sided printing but can't find away to fix it - thanks for your help You will have to create two databases if you want Bill's address on one side and Dear Bill on the other. Data #1 Data#2 Bill Mabel Mabel ...

In Excel, why sort function fails when applied to a list of date?