NK2 Autocomplete File: Online vs. Offline?

I am experiencing an odd problem with the NK2 file and the retention of

addresses within. Before I get to the actual problem, I will share what

I know.

This file's function is to retain addresses for auto-completing
purposes when sending a new email message.
FACTS:
- addresses are stored once an email has been sent to a user, as
opposed to pulling directly from the address book.
- the file can retain up to 1000 addresses

PROBLEM: From time to time, the size of the NK2 file reverts back to
zero and loses all the data within it. From what I can tell, in regards

to the 100+ users in my office, it is only happening on laptops. The
NK2 file is stored on a network drive within the office. From Q&A'ing
those having the problem, it appears the file is reverting to zero once

they return to the office after taking their laptops home or on
vacation.

Is it possible that any "local" NK2 file being used outside of the
office is somehow overwriting the network copy?

Greg,

Your inquiry caught my attention.  We're familiar with the NK2 file and
possibly can help.

Usually, NK2 files are stored on the same computer that the Outlook client
is installed on.  How did someone configure things so that the NK2 files are
stored on the server?  Are you laptops diskless?

Is it possible that somehow the NK2 file is being overwritten?

The Nk2 file will not automatically revert to a zero byte file unless it
becomes totally corrupted.  More often than not, problems with the Nk2 stem
from corrupted profile data in the registry.

However, if someone configured things in a very non-standard way so that the
NK2 is written to and read from a file on the server, I'd say that the
possibility exists that the file is being overwritten.  However, I'd say
that there is a better chance that the file is stored on the laptop and is
being corrupted by some other action.

Please feel free to contact me at ranmcneesremovethis@dcs-imaging.com and
maybe we can figure out how/why you're having this problem.

Randy
<gregholmes@sbcglobal.net> wrote in message
>I am experiencing an odd problem with the NK2 file and the retention of
>
> addresses within. Before I get to the actual problem, I will share what
>
> I know.
>

> This file's function is to retain addresses for auto-completing
> purposes when sending a new email message.
> FACTS:
> - addresses are stored once an email has been sent to a user, as
> opposed to pulling directly from the address book.
> - the file can retain up to 1000 addresses
>

> PROBLEM: From time to time, the size of the NK2 file reverts back to
> zero and loses all the data within it. From what I can tell, in regards
>
> to the 100+ users in my office, it is only happening on laptops. The
> NK2 file is stored on a network drive within the office. From Q&A'ing
> those having the problem, it appears the file is reverting to zero once
>
> they return to the office after taking their laptops home or on
> vacation.
>

> Is it possible that any "local" NK2 file being used outside of the
> office is somehow overwriting the network copy?

can i open *.nk2 files?
can i open *.nk2 file and get all of the addresses that I have sent to in the past? See my reply to your earlier post. -- Jocelyn Fiorello MVP - Outlook *** Replies sent to my e-mail address will probably not be answered -- please reply only to the newsgroup to preserve the message thread. *** "Dan" <scharenbergdan@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:035001c36103$f0386610$a301280a@phx.gbl... > can i open *.nk2 file and get all of the addresses that I > have sent to in the past? ...

Reading Files from Temporary Internet Files
Hi i want to know how i can read a file from the "Temporary Internet Files" folder. -- THE BAT thanks solved -- THE BAT "THE BAT" <Ahmedy2k@link.net> wrote in message news:%23NryOSDBGHA.272@TK2MSFTNGP11.phx.gbl... > Hi > > i want to know how i can read a file from the "Temporary Internet Files" > folder. > > -- > THE BAT > ...

pst files #18
I'm getting ready to move my Outlook data to a new computer. I see two pst files in the Local Settings\Application Data\Microsoft\Outlook folder: Outlook.pst 1.6GB modified today Personal Folders.pst 265KB modified a month ago If Outlook.pst includes the data in Personal Folders.pst, I do not want to move the redundant file. How can I see what's in the smaller pst file? "Bob" <nobody@nowhere.com> wrote in message news:443au4pjeagdhkt78ukli9kpvcvc66r9l5@4ax.com... > I'm getting ready to move my Outlook data to a new computer. I see > two pst files in...

Offline information store defrag
Hi, I need to run an offline defrag on one of my information stores, the problem is that there is only 20% free space on the drive. How can I run the offline defrag, make it go to another drive and then replace the defragged information store with the current information store? Thanks Hi, Use the /t parameter in eseutil http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;192185 Leif "Alan Byrne" <AlanByrne@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:BD284C78-9D9A-4256-96FB-B24E1C7C5F02@microsoft.com... > Hi, I need to run an offline defrag on one of my in...

Outlook autocomplete nk2 file
We found a utility (at long last) that allows us to sort, edit and validate (where possible) all addresses in the file. It's simple, cheap and finally allows us to get rid of unwanted entries on a wholesale level ! You can find it at download.com.com or www.dcs- imaging.com/products.htm Good luck. let me know if this works! >-----Original Message----- >We found a utility (at long last) that allows us to sort, >edit and validate (where possible) all addresses in the >file. It's simple, cheap and finally allows us to get >rid of unwanted entries on a wholesal...

.msg file
Someone sent me a distribution list as a .msg file but I have no idea how to get it into my contacts. Any help would be appreciated. Never mind. I didn't think about just dragging them. Too simple. Jerry <nospam@hotmail.com> wrote: > Someone sent me a distribution list as a .msg file but I have no idea > how to get it into my contacts. Any help would be appreciated. Try dragging the .msg file to your contacts folder. -- Brian Tillman ...

How do I move/merge an Excel file to an existing MS Word file?
How do I move/merge an Excel file to an existing MS Word file? I want to combine all data into one file under word. Hi the easiest way would be copy and paste? -- Regards Frank Kabel Frankfurt, Germany "Excel to Word transfer" <Excel to Word transfer@discussions.microsoft.com> schrieb im Newsbeitrag news:78E2302D-3EC5-4B69-8DEF-524411297288@microsoft.com... > How do I move/merge an Excel file to an existing MS Word file? I want to > combine all data into one file under word. ...

Changing a file name #2
Say I want to change the name of a certain file at run-time, how do I do this (and delete the original file)? Can I do this using MFC? You could use the MoveFile() API or the CRT rename() function (which calls MoveFile() internally). Since you're just renaming the file there's no original file to delete. Mark "hamishd" wrote: > Say I want to change the name of a certain file at run-time, how do I > do this (and delete the original file)? > > Can I do this using MFC? > > ...

Cannot open PDF file that is attached to digitally signed xls file as an object
Hello, I have some payment approval request xls file. In this document, there is a PDF file attached as object (invoice). As long as this document is not digitally signed, I can open the attached PDF file by clicking on its icon or first page preview. However, when first person sign this document, I am no longer able to open it I can only see the icon (or preview). I don't understand why. I just want to read what is in this PDF document, not change its content so it should not have any influence to digital signature. I tried the same in DOC - I attached PDF file as object to wor...

Deliver new email to pst file
If I change the location new email is delivered to by following the instructions below, will this work if outlook is closed? On the Tools menu, click E-mail Accounts. Click View or change existing e-mail accounts, and then click Next. In the Deliver new e-mail to the following location list, select where you want to the new messages delivered. Click Finish. Yes, the new mail will be delivered to the location you specify the next = time Outlook is opened and polls for mail. --=81 Milly Staples [MVP - Outlook] Post all replies to the group to keep the discussion intact. All unsolicited ma...

File menu
I dragged and dropped the system "File" menu and it disappeared. Please tell me how I can get it back. I've tried reinstalling and repairing to default but neither worked. Thank you very much! It worked! >-----Original Message----- >Hi > >Try View, toolbars, customise, select >worksheet menu bar >and then click reset button. > >HTH > >Ken > > >. > Hi Try View, toolbars, customise, select worksheet menu bar and then click reset button. HTH Ken ...

OWA File Attachments Exchange 2003
My Exchange Information Store" dismont when I attach an archive in owa. I have unistalled all antivirus and antispyware software and the problem persists. No problems in Exchange Stores nor free space. No problems when using Outlook/Outlook Express clients. Only with owa. Any ideas? "Alberto" <Alberto@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: >My Exchange Information Store" dismont when I attach an archive in >owa. >I have unistalled all antivirus and antispyware software and the problem >persists. >No problems in Exchange Stores nor free space. >No ...

Online Updates #8
Don't know exactly how this happened, but after a storm knocked my bank offline for 3 days I was no longer able to receive auto online updates. I tried to re-set online services and the bank is asking Money for credentials, including the answers to three security questions. Problem is, either the Bank or MSMoney is giving me multiple questions to pick from for each of the security questions. Now I know what the answers would be for about 90% of the 30 questions offered for me to pick from, and I am reasonably sure that I know which three of the thirty I originally used. I am not s...

No NK2 file?
Outlook 2003 won't create an NK2 file with the frequently used e-mail addresses. No suggestions are made as I type in the address. I have Automatic Name Checking and Suggest Names checked. I tried populating the NK2 file this way: I disconnected my computer from the internet. I opened a new message. In the To: field I entered ALL of the e-mail addresses I frequently use. I click send. I delete the message from the Outbox and reconnect myself to the internet. Now when I open a new message and begin entering and e-mail address suggestions come up as I type. BUT as soon as I cl...

OE DBX files
I received some DBX files that I need to get into Outlook 2000. How can I convert these DBX files so I can get them into Outlook 2000? Thank you in advance. Open them in Outlook Express and then use Outlook to import them. --� Milly Staples [MVP - Outlook] Post all replies to the group to keep the discussion intact. Due to the (insert latest virus name here) virus, all mail sent to my personal account will be deleted without reading. After searching google.groups.com and finding no answer, Judd asked: | I received some DBX files that I need to get into Outlook | 2000. How can I conv...

Microsoft Word Error when attaching .doc files to web based email
I'm not sure when this started, I think when I installed Microsoft Sec. Essentials. But for a bit of background I'm running Windows 7 -64 bit with Office 2007 Enterprise. Anyways whenever I use hotmail or netaddress (my 2 web based email accounts) and I attach a file I get two popup errors. "You cannot close Microsoft Office Word because a dialog box is open. Click OK, switch to Word, and then close the dialog box. The next one says Word has encountered a problem. If I click on help it says, There is a problem saving the file. Then talks about not enough...

Specific file path in ODBC connection string
Does anybody know if it is possible to specify a specific file path for a .DBF database file in an ODBC connection string used in the CDatabase or CRecordset classes? I mean something that would override the default path for the ODBC Data Source like CString MyRecordset::GetDefaultConnect() { return _T ("ODBC;DSN=MyDataBase;Path=..\\Data\\[MyData]"); } - or - CRecordset rec; rec.open (CRecordset::snapshot, "Path=..\\Data\\[MyData]", CRecordset::readOnly); ....? You can if you use the Jet engine. Use CDaoRecordset instead of CRecordset Ali R. "Doug Dean&...

OAGIS Version 8.0 SP 3 Validation w/ MSXML 4.0 VS.NET 2K3
I am trying to build a .NET assembly which will contain the OAGIS schemas using OAGIS version 8.0 SP 3. When I try to validate the schemas, specifically the Order.xsd schema, I get the following error: Invalid particle derivation by restriction: Order.xsd line 16 I have searched google, the yahoo group and several other sources and found that other users are experiencing the same thing. Do you have any information about this error, and do you know if this is a Microsoft specific problem? It appears that the error is occurring because the Order restriction has the following format: <...

Data file not closed properly?
Frequently, although not every day, when I boot up and open Outlook 2003 (SP1), I get a brief message which reads "The data file "MAIN" was not closed properly". It then runs a quick check, a progress bar zips by, and then my "Main" Outlook .pst file opens. The thing is, I close Outlook the same way every night before shutting down, and cannot figure out why it thinks there's a problem. There hasn't been a problem with my data. BTW, this behavior began - albeit intermittently - after installing Windows XP Pro SP2. Could that have something to do...

How can I convert an Excel file to an Adobe .pdf file by using Ex.
In the past, I have been able to convert an Excel spreadsheet directly to an Adobe .pdf file. I now have Excel 2003 and I cannot find the function to convert to .pdf anywhere. Am I missing something or is it no longer part of Excel? pammoore2000 wrote: > In the past, I have been able to convert an Excel spreadsheet directly to an > Adobe .pdf file. I now have Excel 2003 and I cannot find the function to > convert to .pdf anywhere. Am I missing something or is it no longer part of > Excel? It never was part of Excel. You must have had a third-party application or add-in...

open a file listed in my db
I an starting a data base to keep up with the different files I would like to be able to double click on the file name and open it I would like to double click on an excel vile name listed in the access db and have it open How would I go about this? gary, Take a look in Access help. Look for "followhyperlink" HTH Dale -- Email address is not valid. Please reply to newsgroup only. "Gary." wrote: > I an starting a data base to keep up with the different files > > I would like to be able to double click on the file name and open it > > I would like...

Outlook 2003 AutoComplete quits working
I have a Windows XP SR1 computer that has Office 2003 installed. The computer dials up to Earthink and uses POP3 for mail. The AutoComplete worked after the install. About two weeks later, the user called me because it had quit working. I checked the settings under Tools/Options and the Suggest Names option was still checked. Just to test, I unchecked it exited Outlook, reopened Outlook and rechecked the box. AutoComplete worked again for about a week. Now the user had called me again saying that it's not working. I've had my Outlook 2003 running under the same configu...

Online Accounts Money 2005
I have set up 2 different online accounts at the same bank, one for my roth ira and one for my wife's ira. We both have the same checking and savings accounts linked to our online access at the bank therefore money keeps trying to download the checking and savings accounts twice, once under my accounds in money and once under my wife's. Is there any way to tell money only to download statements for the IRA and not for the savings and checking accounts? I know that in money 2004 you could do this no problem, but in 2005 they seemed to have taken away this capabilbity. I don&#...

NK2 files
Article Q287623 asks us to clear the NK2 files on the system to get my automatic address completion to work. I have searched and searched (with display hidden files option turned on) and am unable to find any *.NK2 files on the system. Any thoughts would be appreciated. This may be a dumb question, but you are using Outlook 2002, correct? Do you have the option to suggest names while completing... checked in Tools | Options | E-Mail Options | Advanced E-Mail Options? -- PATRICK REED [Outlook - MVP]~~~~~~ -Microsoft Certified Professional (MCP) -Have you checked http://www.slipstic...

Where are Outlook files kept?
I want to transfer my Outlook files and folders from my current HD to my new one. I'll do this by burning CD-R discs and after installing the new HD, copying them to the new drive. I can't find any folders called "Mail", "Inbox", or any of the folders I created in Outlook by searching My Computer. Dell Inspiron 600m; Win XP; Outlook 5? (Details discloses that Outlook is version "10.0.4510.0"). Thanks, -- Please, no "Go Google this" replies. I wouldn't ask a question here if I hadn't done that already. DaveC me@privacy.net Thi...