New Mail Desktop Shortcut

Is there a desktop shortcut for creating a new mail message (running Windows
XP)?  In Windows 2000 there was a shortcut bar with a new mail message icon
on it.  I'm wondering if there's something similar in XP?
0
robd (10)

Rob D. <RobD@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

> Is there a desktop shortcut for creating a new mail message (running
> Windows XP)?  In Windows 2000 there was a shortcut bar with a new
> mail message icon on it.  I'm wondering if there's something similar
> in XP?

It's easy enough to make one.  Open Outlook and search for "command line".
Read the information about command line switches, especially the /c switch.
--
Brian Tillman

0
tillman1952 (16052)
8/17/2006 2:25:43 PM
Thanks for the information.  Are there any other options (don't have "Run"
privileges on my work PC).

"Brian Tillman" wrote:

> Rob D. <RobD@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
>
> > Is there a desktop shortcut for creating a new mail message (running
> > Windows XP)?  In Windows 2000 there was a shortcut bar with a new
> > mail message icon on it.  I'm wondering if there's something similar
> > in XP?
>
> It's easy enough to make one.  Open Outlook and search for "command line".
> Read the information about command line switches, especially the /c switch.
> --
> Brian Tillman

0
robd (10)
8/18/2006 6:28:02 PM
Rob D. <RobD@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

> Thanks for the information.  Are there any other options (don't have
> "Run" privileges on my work PC).

If you need run permission to execute a shortcut, then I can't think of any.
If you can execute Outlook at all, however, I can't see why you can't use a
shortcut.  The Start menu is full of shortcuts that are similar.  Can you
not execute anything from your Start menu?
--
Brian Tillman

0
tillman1952 (16052)
8/18/2006 7:06:08 PM
I can create shortcuts.  I just can't figure out how to get the specific new
mail message shortcut directly onto my desktop (or taskbar).

"Brian Tillman" wrote:

> Rob D. <RobD@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
>
> > Thanks for the information.  Are there any other options (don't have
> > "Run" privileges on my work PC).
>
> If you need run permission to execute a shortcut, then I can't think of any.
> If you can execute Outlook at all, however, I can't see why you can't use a
> shortcut.  The Start menu is full of shortcuts that are similar.  Can you
> not execute anything from your Start menu?
> --
> Brian Tillman

0
robd (10)
8/18/2006 7:15:01 PM
Rob D. <RobD@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

> I can create shortcuts.  I just can't figure out how to get the
> specific new mail message shortcut directly onto my desktop (or
> taskbar).

You can't right-click your desktop and choose New>Shortcut?
--
Brian Tillman
0

"Brian Tillman" wrote:

> Rob D. <RobD@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
>
> > I can create shortcuts.  I just can't figure out how to get the
> > specific new mail message shortcut directly onto my desktop (or
> > taskbar).
>
> You can't right-click your desktop and choose New>Shortcut?
> --
> Brian Tillman

0
robd (10)
8/21/2006 2:31:03 PM
Rob D. <RobD@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

> Actually, yes, I can do that.  I guess now all I need is the name (&
> possible location) of the file for creating a new email message.

I already told you how to find that information in Outlook's Help.
--
Brian Tillman
0

"Brian Tillman" wrote:

> Rob D. <RobD@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
>
> > Actually, yes, I can do that.  I guess now all I need is the name (&
> > possible location) of the file for creating a new email message.
>
> I already told you how to find that information in Outlook's Help.
> --
> Brian Tillman

0
robd (10)
8/21/2006 6:12:02 PM
Rob D. <RobD@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

> That worked.  Thanks for your help; much appreciated.  One last
> issue: To create a desktop shortcut for creating a new appointment, I
> entered the following: "C:\Program Files\Microsoft
> Office\OFFICE11\OUTLOOK.EXE" /c "ipm.appointment creates an
> appointment".  However, once I clicked on the newly created shortcut,
> instead of opening a new appointment window, it opened a new email
> message window.  Your thoughts?

The target of the shortcut should be:

"C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office11\Outlook.exe" /c ipm.appointment

You can use "%ProgramFiles%" instead if "C:\Program Files" if you wish:

"%ProgramFiles%\Microsoft Office\Office11\Outlook.exe" /c ipm.appointment
--
Brian Tillman
0
tillman1952 (16052)

Must buy new computer...Ideas?

Default Path to the Desktop Folder
Is there a default path to the desktop folder? I was exporting a a form from one database to another. The database I'm exporting to is on my desktop. The path is C:\Documents and Settings\Chad\Desktop\Test Database.accdb. I want to use this saved export in a macro for other people to use, but it is too specific to my PC. Is there a default path name I can use, like C:\HOME\Desktop...? Try one of these: Environ("HOMEPATH") & "\Desktop\" Environ("USERPROFILE") & "\Desktop\" -- Allen Browne - Microsoft MVP. Perth...

Outlook 2007 no mail in inbox
Running Windows 7 64-bit, Office 2007 Enterprise Edition. Setting up comcast e-mail in Outlook 2007. All settings are correct. Have uninstalled/reinstalled/repaired Office/Outlook. I save the password on the setup tab, but when I test connections, it asks for the password again on the POP3 and SMTP server test. And when I send myself a test e-mail, it asks again for the password, even though its saved. However, no e-mails are showing up in the inbox in Outlook, even though they're in the sent folder and they show up on comcast.net. I am totally stumped here. I have th...

Default properties for new folders

Deinstalling and reinstalling Windows Live Mail
A few months ago, I tried installing Windows Live Mail on one of my computers, and found that the installation did not complete properly, apparantly because it was unable to handle importing Windows Mail storage folders containing very large numbers of unread newsgroup posts (such as 149,000). Within the last week, I tried installing WLM on another of my computers with much less in its storage folders; that succeeded and gave me a better user interface. Is it possibly to deinstall WLM from the first computer, along with its rather incomplete messages database, and start over...

New Email Messages

Replying to E-mail with OWA
Something strange happen when I try to reply to my E-mail via OWA. After viewing the E-mail, When I click Reply, the message box just disappear leaving me with no choice than to wait the next morning, when I get back in the office, to reply. Is that a problem encountered by one of you? Thanks Do you have a popup blocker installed? -- Patricia Cardoza Outlook MVP Author - Special Edition Using Microsoft Office Outlook 2003 Lead Author - Access 2003 VBA Programmer's Reference Author - Absolute Beginner's Guide to Microsoft OneNote 2003 http://blogs.officezealot.com/cardoza &quo...

New Location/New setup

Cancel mail already sent via Outllook thru hotmail
Is there a way either in Hotmail or using Outlook Express V6.00.2800.1123 configured to use the Hotmail account to cancel e-mail already sent. Outlooks help menu indicates there is a "Cancel a posted Message". In the instructions says to highlight file and then go to "Message menu" and click on "Cancel Message. This option does not appear. I know in the corporate e-mail enviroment Outlook had such an option. So does the Outlook <-> Hotmail world have the capability too? On Sat, 13 Dec 2003 19:56:14 -0800, "Walt" <wmiller51@hotmail.com> wr...

Sending to Mail
When in Wordperfect 10, I try sending to mail. It should sends the document as an attachment. But when I do it now it generates an error saying the Mail System is not Available. I'm running Windows 2000 sp4, Outlook 2000 SP3. Any ideas anyone? Nick Open Internet Explorer. Choose Tools--Internet Options; then click the Programs tab and verify that the E-mail field is set to Microsoft Outlook. >-----Original Message----- >When in Wordperfect 10, I try sending to mail. It should >sends the document as an attachment. But when I do it now >it generates an error sayi...

How do I activate the new mail button

unable to delete mail selected by using OWA
Hi All, I am having problem in deleting mails from inbox. My mail server is SBS 2003 - Exchange server 2003. some mails from Info@xxxxxxx.com are not able to delete, whenever I try to delete, I am getting "400 Bad Request" and "SOme Items can't be deleted,They were either moved,already deleted,or access was denied." and I can not block this mails as the domain name keep changing. All our clients are using OWA. Please help us and suggest solution for this issue. Is there any patch or fix up available ? Thank you, Mani. Info Tech Systems Manager Naval Exchange ...

Style available all sheets new or old

Slow to Read Mail
Please help!!! When I open outlook and scroll from one message to another, or click on a message, it takes about a second and a half or longer to display the message. This is even if I read one message, go to a 2nd, and then return to the first (when the first one should still be in the system's cache). How do I get this program to run faster? Oh, this happens when the system is not linked to a network too. Its running on a 1.7 gighz laptop with 512 meg SDRAM. Thanks, Mark Is this Outlook 2002, by any chance? If so, try disabling the integration with Instant Messenger in To...

Mail in HTML-format (with .fla-file(s))
I get them all the time from firms that insist on sending me "great offers" of various kinds; those animated, designed mails with gif-anims, flash clips etc. Can anyone point me towards a tutorial so that I can start impressing my friends with this kind of stuff, please! I tried simply attaching a .fla and an html with instructions, as a Christmas card, but this isobviously too complicated for your average user, viz. relatives and the like. Happy New Year, btw Lennart Hildeman Scania ...

Adding new pages

New messages comes up in Deleted folder

Outlook Express 6 loosing e-mail after reading & 2 copies
I read my email and then I switch to another folder SENT/Trash etc... I go back to my INBOX and my email is gone. Does anyone know why? I also have another problem. When I check for new email I get 2 copies of every one. Any body know why? Thanks in advance, Bill This newsgroup is for support of Outlook 97, 98, 2000 & 2002 from the Office family for Windows PCs. For Outlook Express (OE) support try posting in one of these newsgroups: microsoft.public.inetexplorer.ie4.outlookexpress for OE 4.x microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie5.outlookexpress for OE 5....

New User has admin rights