New Account in Outlook 97

I have outlook 97 on my pc but am currently using Outlook Express. I want to
set up my existing account on Outlook - how do I do this?

0
nick419 (1)

Depends on whether you've updated to IMEP or not.

Here's a quick step-by-step:
* go to the Control Panel > Mail applet
* make sure that the profile that's showing (which typically is the
contents of your default profile) has the following services in it:
- Personal Folders (this defines the location that mail/items can be stored
in)
- Outlook Address Book (another address book provider - this one takes the
electronic addresses from Contacts and turns them into an address book)
- Internet Mail (a mail transport - this is the one that moves mail from
your ISPs POP3 server to your Personal folders and from your Personal
Folders to your ISPs SMTP server [the whole loop for Internet e-mail])

The only service that might have some confusing parameters to set in it
would be the Internet Mail service. Before setting it up make sure you've
got the following info handy (complete list - I'm sure you know some of
these but I'm gonna list them anyway)

(If you've got two tabs in the Internet Mail service properties - Original
Internet Mail service):

[On General Tab]
- Your name
- Your E-mail address
- Your ISP's POP3 server name
- Your account name on that server
- Your POP3 account password
- Your ISP's SMTP server name (if you click the Advanced Options button
you'll see this field)

[On Connection tab]
- How you want to connect to your ISP's server
- If you want scheduled collection of mail (click Schedule button for this)

(If you've got four tabs in the Internet E-mail service properties - IMEP or
Internet Mail Enhancement Patch service):

[On General Tab]
- A 'friendly' name to distinguish this service from other Internet E-mail
services in the same profile
- Your name
- Your company (if applicable)
- Your E-mail address
- A reply address (if you want replies from mail sent from this service to
go to another address)

[On Servers tab]
- Your ISP's SMTP server name (Outgoing mail)
- Your ISP's POP3 server name (Incoming mail)
- Your POP3 account name & password (unless you've got an MSN or Compuserve
POP3 mailbox in which case you check the Logon using Secure Password
Authentication button)

[On Connection tab]
- How you want to connect to the servers
- Do you want to disconnect after sending & receiving mail from this service

[On Advanced tab]
I'd leave most of these alone with the possible exception of the "Leave Mail
on Server" option (if you want to leave mail in your POP3 mailbox for
collection from another computer). The rest of the options normally aren't
used unless your ISP has an odd setup or a slow server.

--
Russ Valentine
[MVP-Outlook]
"Nicholas Ashton" <nick@nickashton.freeserve.co.uk> wrote in message
> I have outlook 97 on my pc but am currently using Outlook Express. I want
> set up my existing account on Outlook - how do I do this?

0
russval (3097)
4/6/2004 10:40:21 AM
Russ Valentine [MVP-Outlook] <russval@mvps.org> wrote:

> Depends on whether you've updated to IMEP or not.

Why would this be beneficial and how would it be done?
--
Brian Tillman
0
Nicholas Ashton <nick@nickashton.freeserve.co.uk> wrote:

> I have outlook 97 on my pc but am currently using Outlook Express. I
> want to set up my existing account on Outlook - how do I do this?

In addition to all that Russ wrote, be aware that many ISPs now require
authentication on the outbound (SMTP) server as well as the inbound (POP)
server and that Outlook 97 cannot do the outbound authentication and so
won't be usable for sending messages if outbound authentication is required.
--
Brian Tillman

0
Tillmabg (988)
4/6/2004 7:00:46 PM
The Internet Mail part of the original Outlook 97 was way buggy even by
version 1 standards. So the IMEP was put out to fix things...

http://www.slipstick.com/addins/SERVICES/imep.htm

--
Ken Slovak
[MVP - Outlook]
Author: Absolute Beginner's Guide to Microsoft Office Outlook 2003
http://www.slovaktech.com/products.htm

"Brian Tillman" <tillmabg@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> Russ Valentine [MVP-Outlook] <russval@mvps.org> wrote:
>
> > Depends on whether you've updated to IMEP or not.
>
> Why would this be beneficial and how would it be done?
> --
> Brian Tillman

0
kenslovak (742)
4/6/2004 7:40:20 PM
Ken Slovak - [MVP - Outlook] <kenslovak@mvps.org> wrote:

> The Internet Mail part of the original Outlook 97 was way buggy even
> by version 1 standards. So the IMEP was put out to fix things...
>
> http://www.slipstick.com/addins/SERVICES/imep.htm

Thanks.  Since I have SR-2B, it appears IMEP is included in that.
--
Brian Tillman
0

Opening a new instance of Excel

can't send anything in Outlook 2002

outlook 2007 runs slow

New install
Someone in my area has called me and asked for help. He had a hard drive crash so he put in a new drive and reinstalled Media Center Edition. He accesses the internet through DSL and a router. Another computer is also plugged into the router and is working fine. On this computer, he has no internet access. Under the "status" tab it says "connected" but under the support tab the IP address, subnet mask, and gateway lines are all empty. If he unplugs the ethernet cable, nothing changes. It still says it is connected. Also, the icon in the tray that should appear...

Outlook Mobile Access Problem

Analytical Accounting #6
I am trying to find a way to do more detailed reporting from the General Ledger. Your GL is only as strong as the number of segments and the number of ways you can slice and dice the data based on the combination of segments. We have over 40,000 accounts in our GL and that is not enough. I have not read through the PDF on Analytical Accounting yet. Could somebody briefly explain what Analytical Accounting does. Nutshell version: you can create codes (and groupings of codes), and assign them to account numbers. For example, you could have one account that tracks all Grant Money receive...

Outlook 2003

MSN accounts dosen't work in Outlook.

outlook 2000 help file

How to download into investment account?
Trying to download from the Charles Schwab & Co into my investment account. Just recently converted from Quicken to Money 2004 and then i am having issues with downloading from Charles Schwab. When i download from the FI i get transactions dating back to August which is there in the register already. Now when i make that void i cannot delete this and this is not going from the 'Review transactions' list after i download. Now tried to setup online services with a new file and when downloading have new issuew. The date range is for the past month but the cash account is gr...

Unable to create more Windows NT accounts for Exchange mailboxes
Hi Guys, Currently our Exchange server stopped allowing the creation of more Windows NT Accounts with the following error"Insufficient System Resources exist to complete the requested service".Pls is there a way out of this? We run Exchange 5.5 SP3 on Windows NT Server. -- Buchi ...

A rule that places a new email in a sub Folder doesnt get displayed
Create a folder; Create a rule that moves new mails to that folder; Happy as larry. When a new mail arrives, outlook shows a blue numeric value next to the folder to indicate unread messages. However, if you add another folder to the folder created above, ie a sub folder and create a rule to move new email, you have to have the tree fully extended to be informed of a new email. Is there a way to see if an new email has been sent to a sub folder without having the tree list expanded? Cheers Phil What version of Outlook and what Service Pack level? --� Milly Staples [MVP - Outloo...

New Check report security settings
I'm using Report Writer in GP v10. I want to duplicate the report "Check with Stub on Top and Bottom - Graphical". I have tried to use the duplicate button for the report but the report will not show up in the User Security settings. How can I make the duplicated report available to select users? -- fiberfan I would suspect you do not want to duplicate this report (since you cannot really run it correctly) and instead you modify the actual report by choosing the report and pressing "insert". You give security to the modified version once you've modifie...

Outlook 2003 Contact data

Outlook 2002/XP Folder List view question

Investment Account Download
My wife and I both have Retirement Accounts with The Vanguard Group. Whether or not I open her file in Money 2006, when I download HER Statement it automatically goes to MY Account. I've tried everything I know...Downloading with her account open in Money, closed in money, and no matter what I do Money automatically thinks it's my Account. Any help available? Thanks -- Jerry In microsoft.public.money, Jerry <jyeagley3@comcast.net(donotspam)> wrote: >My wife and I both have Retirement Accounts with The Vanguard Group. Whether >or not I open her file in Money 2006, wh...

Add New Record Using Combo Box
I am using 2 different tables: Employee Info and Trip Details. I need to have a blank form open to enter new information, but I would like a combo box to choose the employees name, as there are over 300 employees. Ideally, the first name, last name, and DOB would be populated, but the rest of the information would still be blank to add new data. I could then just hit a button to open the form again to add information about a different employee. I am having a problem doing this and would greatly appreciate if someone could let me know how to accomplish this. Thanks. On Wed, 21 Mar 2007 17:26:03...

Outlook 2007 Missing Mail

Outlook 2003
Just upgraded from Outlook 2000 to Outlook 2003. Everything seems to be working OK !! BUT ! On the Outlook Today screen no images are shown. If I go into the customise option, there are no images shown for the various styles. Also any changes I make in Outlook today options are not saved.. Any Ideas ??? ...