Need a utility to import mail to Outlook via print dialog... or some other way to import proprietary messages into Outlook.

Hello,

We need to migrate 100s of proprietary PSTs from a little-known mail
system to Outlook/Exchange but the file format of the PSTs is binary,
proprietary and undocumented.

One option is to leave the PSTs and let the users consult them in
offline mode forever. The problem there is that they wouldn't be able
to reply to or forward the messages, only read or print them. Not very
user-friendly, they have GBs of mail in them.

Has anyone seen an application which lets you print a message into an
Outlook mail message, much like you print to a PDF file? Any other
suggestions for workarounds for importing unknown formats into Outlook?

Otherwise, any tips about how to reverse-engineer the PSTs? I'm not
having much luck with a hex editor.

Thanks in advance. Feeling desperate!

- Alan.

So, what is this 'little-known mail system'?

BMail Postbox?

"Alan" <email.helpline@gmail.com> wrote in message
> Hello,
>
> We need to migrate 100s of proprietary PSTs from a little-known mail
> system to Outlook/Exchange but the file format of the PSTs is binary,
> proprietary and undocumented.
>
> One option is to leave the PSTs and let the users consult them in
> offline mode forever. The problem there is that they wouldn't be able
> to reply to or forward the messages, only read or print them. Not very
> user-friendly, they have GBs of mail in them.
>
> Has anyone seen an application which lets you print a message into an
> Outlook mail message, much like you print to a PDF file? Any other
> suggestions for workarounds for importing unknown formats into Outlook?
>
> Otherwise, any tips about how to reverse-engineer the PSTs? I'm not
> having much luck with a hex editor.
>
> Thanks in advance. Feeling desperate!
>
> - Alan.

0
william8023 (152)
3/30/2006 10:02:01 PM
Team Ware Mail and its off line (same idea as PST) mailboxes.

The silence now should be deafening.

Alan <email.helpline@gmail.com> wrote:

> Team Ware Mail and its off line (same idea as PST) mailboxes.
>
> The silence now should be deafening.

If the product you have is Teamware Office, have you consulted
http://support.teamware.com/ to search the knowledgebase for references to
exporting?
--
Brian Tillman

0
tillman1952 (16052)
3/31/2006 2:35:21 PM
Been there, done that, got the T-shirt.

The offline mailbox format is proprietary, unpublished and devoid of an
export tool to *any* other format; that's why I'm looking for another
solution here.

Some outside the box thinking needed, please.

If Teamware offers no assistance in working with their product, I see no
incentive to consider their product for any solutions in the future.  Thanks
for showing that.

As an Exchange guy and given that Teamware supports IMAP, I would probably
install Teamware and get that content back 'online' use the Exchange
Migration Wizard in a lab.  The Migration Wizard moves content from IMAP4
compliant systems to an Exchange mailbox, which of course can be exported to
a .pst with Outlook or ExMerge.

Sorry, that's all I can come up with.

> Been there, done that, got the T-shirt.
>
> The offline mailbox format is proprietary, unpublished and devoid of an
> export tool to *any* other format; that's why I'm looking for another
> solution here.
>
> Some outside the box thinking needed, please.

0
william8023 (152)
4/1/2006 3:10:15 AM
Problem is that the offline messages can only be returned online by
sending them to yourself. Aside from the online space that'd be needed
on the servers and losing the original, top-level message headers,
offline messages can only be forwarded 1 by 1.

Personally, I'm recommending leaving the client installed in offline
mode to access the offline messages, but my customer isn't happy with
that.

There must be a way outside the standard strategy to handle them.

Thanks anyway.

One thing I omitted to mention. It's been said that the vendor you're
migrating to should provide the import tools to their system, as they
are the ones who are benefiting commercially. For example, would MS
develop tools to export to Lotus Notes?

I think that's a valid point, within reason.

Alan <email.helpline@gmail.com> wrote:

> The offline mailbox format is proprietary, unpublished and devoid of
> an export tool to *any* other format; that's why I'm looking for
> another solution here.

I recall seeing mention of export tools when visiting the site I mentioned,
but I think Mr. Lefkovics is a good one and perhaps less hassle.
--
Brian Tillman

0
tillman1952 (16052)
4/3/2006 2:07:56 PM
There are no export tools for offline mail. Like I said, getting it all
online again (so that the Exchange IMAP Migration Wizard can be used)
is not feasible.

It's not an insignificant mail system (my customer alone has several
thousand users), so I would have hoped for more innovation from MS.

Back to the real world then.

popup dialogs in mfc activeX
Hi, I tried using PreModalDialog() and it didn't help. Let me attempt to explaining the scenario better. I am writing an ActiveX control. Class A is the control class that creates a socket and listens asynchronously. The message handler function for this Socket is a member function of Dialog A. So when there is a connection request from a client, the message handler function is invoked. I basically want to 1. accept the conection request. 2. read the incoming message. 3. popup a yes/no Dialog B 4. based on yes/no send true/false back to the client and disconnect the client. 5. Start as...

Not sure if Excel can do what i need

Importing spreadsheet to a table from a button?
We recieve information weekly and sometimes more frequent then that. I have a access database set up with a table, queries and reports. What I would like to do is instead of having to manually go in and import the table to make it more user friendly to the folks that don't know how to use access that well. I figure this will have to be done through code to call the worksheets, but I would like to create a button on a form that when selected it will automatically import the spreadsheet directly to the table. If it has to call the wizard that still would not be as bad and navigating throug...

how do i add my phone number to outlook address book ?
how do i add my phone number to outlook address book ? You can't. Why would you? The Outlook Address Book is only a list of electronic addresses to which you can address messages. Why would you need a phone number there? Phone numbers, like all Contact data, are stored in your Contacts Folder. -- Russ Valentine [MVP-Outlook] "Ingaga" <Ingaga @discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:2C2224F0-0E8B-4E20-A2AC-200B044053FD@microsoft.com... > how do i add my phone number to outlook address book ? What in the world is the purpse of the Outlook address book whe...

Cannot access menus in Outlook 2002
When I try to use a menu option (tools, view, file, etc) a faded outline of the drop-down box appears and Outlook crashes, offering to send a report to MS. MSOfficeXP has been removed and re-installed with no change, I have done a change/repair with no change, deleted the email profile, same story. Any help is appreciated, thanks! ...

Hand held and outlook calendar
I have a user who synched up his hand-held with his outlook calendar. Now he has duplicates throughout his calendar. Is there a way to fix this or do I have to delete his mailbox and restore. we are using exchange server 2003 and Outlook 2003 Try the script posted here. http://groups.google.com/group/microsoft.public.outlook.calendaring/browse_thread/thread/5e73659dbf9037f/2613d024a76ccdcd?lnk=st&q=outlook+duplicate+script+calendar&rnum=11&hl=en#2613d024a76ccdcd James Chong (MVP) MCSE | M+, S+, MCTS, Security+ msexchangetips.blogspot.com On Mar 12, 12:28 pm, Tyson <...

Stopping/restarting services: order important ?
Hi, I need to run 2 batch files: one thay stop Exchanges services and one that start them up. This is the batch that stop them: start /min net stop MSExchangeMGMT /yes start /min net stop RESvc /yes start /min net stop POP3Svc /yes start /min net stop IMAP4Svc /yes start /min net stop NntpSvc /yes start /min net stop SMTPSVC /yes net stop MSExchangeES /yes net stop MSExchangeIS /yes net stop MSExchangeMTA /yes net stop MSExchangeSA /yes And the batch that start them up: start /min net start MSExchangeMGMT /yes start /min net start RESvc /yes start /min net start POP3Svc /yes start /min ...

Microsoft Outlook Testimonial Request:
The Honorable Microsoft Outlook Manager: I want applying a grant of Outlook software request, if I can have a full version of Microsoft Outlook with stationery functions. I need having Office Professional 2003 with Outlook for my nomination requests. My testiomonial requires to get a grant of Microsoft Outlook to allow me know about it. If I could have Microsoft Outlook for my personal needs with stuffs. Please help me to get these products to be mailing address. Thanks David Johnson ...

Accidentally Pressed Send Mail Button
I accidentally clicked on the Send Mail button while working on m spreadsheet. Now I have a Send This Sheet email window open above m spreadsheet. How do I cancel the request to mail my spreadsheet? Thi won't happen again ... I deleted the Send Mail button from the butto bar -- but it is driving me nuts that I can't figure out how to clos the email window and not send the spreadsheet -- Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com Hi there What you need to do is click on the <FILE> menu, and move to the <Send To> item. A sub0-menu will appear, and you will see that th...

PRINT SHORTCUT
Hi Sorry if this has been asked before, I have just installed Publisher 2007 after using 2003 for many years. To my dismay when I click on the 'print' icon in the toolbar, it prints all pages instead of the current one (that is, it remembers my previous choice for printing). I do inserts for greetings cards and have sometimes over a hundred pages in my folders, it was just one click before to print the current chosen page, now I have to bring up the print dialogue box, and choose 'current page ' again for each one - can any kind person tell my how to get round this o...

Outlook 2007 Pro nd Quicken
I installed Office 2007 Pro Trial Version and when I did I discovered that Quicken 2010 Deluxe is sending payment and deposit reminders to the Outlook Calendar. Cool! Is there any way to configure how far out the reminders are sent or received from Quicken? Thx Jerry Windows Home Premium 64 bit Office 2007 Pro Trial "Jerry" <Jerry@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:A79AFBEA-7EFE-4977-97A7-0DE108500DF6@microsoft.com... >I installed Office 2007 Pro Trial Version and when I did I discovered that > Quicken 2010 Deluxe is sending payment and...

Excel need help

Outlook #300
I am getting this message a lot when Outlook crashes. What is going on? The laptop in question has Time Matters 8 and Franklin Covey hooks. Faulting application outlook.exe, version 11.0.8010.0, stamp 43d16d53, faulting module kernel32.dll, version 5.1.2600.2945, stamp 44ab9a84, debug? 0, fault address 0x00012a5b. Also, can someone direct me to where I can find out how to read this message? Please check your application event viewer for an eventID and source. -- Kathleen Orland Outlook Tips: http://www.outlook-tips.net/ http://www.howto-outlook.com/ "Folstaff" wrote: &g...

Outlook express #286
> > when I click on a link on my e-mail via > > Outlook express, it should open the link right? > > it was doing so until yesterday. I've did a virus/spyware scan > > and nothing. this is a weird problem > > I have to copy & paste the link in my web browser. > > other wise it won't open it from outlook express. Try posting this in an Outlook Express news group - this is not one of them. Outlook is a part of Microsoft Office and is what this group supports. Outlook Express is a part of Internet Explorer and has its own news groups. You can a...

cannot receive e-mail from outside domains
We have a lcient who cannot receive e-mail from domains outside his own. He is not behind a pix firewall. Please respond and let me know what you think I should check to try and resolve this issue. Thanks David GOldberg Hi David What is your clients domain name? Do they have an MX record configured on an external DNS server for his domain? -- Mark Fugatt Microsoft Limited This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights. "David Goldberg" <DavidGoldberg@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:A70129B4-64D2-4815-AF12-80...

Need Help Linking Sheets

does not print but saves instead!
I have 4 profiles set up on my computer. When I use word on the main profile I can print normally. However when I try to print from word on the other 3 profiles it goes to save as and will not let me print. I have tried reparing office using my disc. Any ideas on how to restore the print settings? ...

Importing Access 97 table into Access 2000
I'm trying to convert an Access 97 database to Access 2000 using the create an empty 2000 database and import from the 97 database. I have a copy of the 97 database on my machine and no one else has access to my machine much less the database. When I try to import the table from the Access 97 database, it runs for a while and then dies with: The Microsoft Jet database stopped the process because you and another user are attempting to change the same data at the same time. I told Access to import the table definitions, the data, and the relationships. Does anyone have any idea wha...

Outlook 2007 Can't find older emails
Two of my coworkers were bashing Outlook today because the instant search wasn't finding some of their older emails. It seems to be emails that are older than about 90 days it can't find them. The pst files that contain them are definitely open in outlook and the indexing service said it was complete. On my box, same setup - outlook 2007 and windows xp - i'm getting the results i expect. its finding emails from several years back. Any thoughts? are there any "only index emails younger than X days" settings or anything like that? Thanks in advance! are they usi...

Internal e-mail in queue (in CRM 3.0)
Sorry if i am repeating it , i tried but couldnt find the answer. I can get the external e-mail in queue but not internal e-mail in CRM 3.0. Is there any work around?, i did something wrong , or this is the way , it works :0) regards / Aami ...

Wrong time in Outlook
Hi, I've got a really strange problem. My Mails in Outlook have all the wrong time - 9 hours back. This affects incoming and outgoing mails. It can't be a matter of the e-mail-provider because I've got accounts in gmx, web, yahoo, gmail and all have the same problem. Where can outlook get the wrong time ? The system time is correct of course. Thanks for your help. Ralf is the system time zone correct? whois shows your posting IP is in Germany... and windows defaults to pacific time zone so that would account for the difference. -- Diane Poremsky [MVP - Outlook] Author, Te...

Is there a way to go through all the controls on a MFC dialog?
hi, I need to get through all the controls in a MFC dialog without knowing their ID at design time. That mean that the program must get the id and then get the control. Is there a better solution? One thing is for sure, I have to get the CWnd* of all of the controls on a dialog. How do I do this? thanks ThunderMusic > I need to get through all the controls in a MFC dialog without knowing > their ID at design time. CWnd* pChild = MyDialog.GetWindow(GW_CHILD); while (pChild) { // your code... pChild = pChild->GetWindow(GW_HWNDNEXT); } thanks, it works... I had the GetWin...