my beef with outlook

    i just installed outlook 2003 and i was full of hope that it would be
different compared to the prrvious version and most of all outlook express.
no luck.

    i cannot understand why or how outlook express is more handy when it
comes to hotmail accounts.

    1. i am on dial-up and when i click send/receive, outlook goes "dead"
for about 30 seconds and then it continues on to send/receive. (my pc is 1.2
Ghz celeron 640 Mb ram, so i dont think there is a problem there)

    2. every time i click on a hotmail folder, it synchronizes with the
server. fine . outlook express does this too, but my whole system does not
freeze while it happens.

    3. in outlook express there was an option to download only headers for
hotmail mail, and to use the space bar if i wanted to read the full mail.
this was very important, because html based junk mail would not load AND
most importantly attachments would not download unless specifically stated.
with outlook, every time i click the junk mail folder to scan the mail, if
the first mail in line happens to be one of those junk mails with a 144kb
attachment i have to wait for the attachment to be downloaded and for the
mail to be displayed in the preview pane before i can delete everything. i
cannot understand how there is an option in outlook express, but not one in
outlook.....

outlook has a great interface and many useful features, but it seems outlook
express is more useful after all.

--

------health is merely the slowest possible rate at which we die.-----
------good judgement comes from experience, experience comes from bad

0
colovos (5)

cycomiko wrote:
>     i just installed outlook 2003 and i was full of hope that it
> would be different compared to the prrvious version and most of all
> outlook express. no luck.
>
>     i cannot understand why or how outlook express is more handy when
> it comes to hotmail accounts.
>
>     1. i am on dial-up and when i click send/receive, outlook goes
> "dead" for about 30 seconds and then it continues on to send/receive.
> (my pc is 1.2 Ghz celeron 640 Mb ram, so i dont think there is a
> problem there)
>
>     2. every time i click on a hotmail folder, it synchronizes with
> the server. fine . outlook express does this too, but my whole system
> does not freeze while it happens.
>
>     3. in outlook express there was an option to download only
> headers for hotmail mail, and to use the space bar if i wanted to
> read the full mail. this was very important, because html based junk
> mail would not load AND most importantly attachments would not
> download unless specifically stated. with outlook, every time i click
> the junk mail folder to scan the mail, if the first mail in line
> happens to be one of those junk mails with a 144kb attachment i have
> to wait for the attachment to be downloaded and for the mail to be
> displayed in the preview pane before i can delete everything. i
> cannot understand how there is an option in outlook express, but not
> one in outlook.....
>
> outlook has a great interface and many useful features, but it seems
> outlook express is more useful after all.

Outlook is part of MS Office which is a product oriented towards
business use.  Yes, it can be used for personal tasks but that's not
where the big sales are.  Outlook Express is oriented towards personal
use, hence it is free (because the NNTP client market is already flooded
with freebie or cheaply priced software).  Hotmail is not a
business-oriented e-mail service.  There is almost no support (even if
you pay for an MSN account), Hotmail is unreliable, there is no
notification of planned outages, quotas are too restrictive (even if you
pay for MSN), features are minimal, and many other deficiencies that
make Hotmail rarely used by a corporate business.  Outlook and Outlook
Express are not derivatives of each other nor siblings.  They are not a
full and "lite" version of each other.  They are not in the same product
family.  They don't try to keep their feature sets synchronized.  They
are separate and distinct products.  I'm sure Forte Agent, Eudora,
Mozilla Thunderbird, and other e-mail clients have other useful features
and may be more RFC compliant than Outlook but don't expect Microsoft to
update their product because of those, either.  Outlook is geared as an
e-mail client used in an enterprise e-mail system in a corporation.
Outlook Express is a freebie e-mail & NNTP client for personal use.

*** Post replies to newsgroup.  E-mail is not accepted. ***

no-email5651 (165)
11/8/2003 5:13:05 PM
It sounds like you just want to get your hotmail.  Outlook Express is
specifically intended for mail and news.

Outlook is a PIM with mail functions.  Its target audience is not the simple
mail reader, and certainly not Hotmail, as evidenced by how long it took to
get hotmail support into Outlook.

If you have no use for the calendar, tasks, journal, etc., then you should
be using OE.  Expecting Outlook to become more OE like is a recipe for
disappointment, as you now know.  They are intended for 2 separate and
distinct audiences and should never blend features, as evidenced by the
Hotmail support in Outlook.

--�
Milly Staples [MVP - Outlook]

After searching google.groups.com and finding no answer:
cycomiko <colovos@hotmail.com> asked:
|     i just installed outlook 2003 and i was full of hope that it
| would be different compared to the prrvious version and most of all
| outlook express. no luck.
|
|     i cannot understand why or how outlook express is more handy when
| it comes to hotmail accounts.
|
|     1. i am on dial-up and when i click send/receive, outlook goes
| "dead" for about 30 seconds and then it continues on to send/receive.
| (my pc is 1.2 Ghz celeron 640 Mb ram, so i dont think there is a
| problem there)
|
|     2. every time i click on a hotmail folder, it synchronizes with
| the server. fine . outlook express does this too, but my whole system
| does not freeze while it happens.
|
|     3. in outlook express there was an option to download only
| headers for hotmail mail, and to use the space bar if i wanted to
| read the full mail. this was very important, because html based junk
| mail would not load AND most importantly attachments would not
| download unless specifically stated. with outlook, every time i click
| the junk mail folder to scan the mail, if the first mail in line
| happens to be one of those junk mails with a 144kb attachment i have
| to wait for the attachment to be downloaded and for the mail to be
| displayed in the preview pane before i can delete everything. i
| cannot understand how there is an option in outlook express, but not
| one in outlook.....
|
| outlook has a great interface and many useful features, but it seems
| outlook express is more useful after all.

0
MillyS4407 (663)

Outlook 2000 #155
When clicking on the send/receive button I don't get an indication of the number of incoming emails. Hello, please use scanpst.exe -----Original Message----- >When clicking on the send/receive button I don't get an >indication of the number of incoming emails. >. > Bravestar <Bravestar@datenschutzministerium.de> wrote: > please use scanpst.exe > > -----Original Message----- >> When clicking on the send/receive button I don't get an >> indication of the number of incoming emails. >> . What the heck does that have to do with it? -...

Outlook Today
When in the "Outlook Today" window in Outlook 2000, when I click on "Customize Outlook Today..." button in upper right of screen, nothing happens. I ran the "Detect & Repair" utility from the Help menu, which has you put in the Office 2000 CD, but it made no difference. I'd like to be able to do some filtering & sorting of the task list in the Outlook Today view, just like you can in the standard Task window. I'd welcome any recommendations -- thank you. "Tim Cataldo" <tim@djconstruction.com> wrote in message news:19ea301c4...

Outlook Exchange to Outlook
Hi all, I had Microsoft Outlook 2000 installed on my personal notebook. I used my notebook at work, and the IT manager installed Outlook 2003, and set it up so that I needed to login to the Exchange Server via a L/P. I have since been layed off, and my work email account has been disabled. When opening Outlook, I am required to input a L/P, but they no longer work. If I hit "Cancel", Outlook closes down. How can I disable the L/P, or can I somehow access and export the personal information (contacts, emails - the latter of which are fortunately saved to my notebook hard driv...

Publisher and Outlook Express
I am using Outlook Exprees 6.00 on Windows XP. When someone sends me an e-mail with an MS Publisher Attachment, it refuses to open. The paper clip attachment notifier is present but it does not highlight when pressed. I have no difficulty in opening all attachments from other programmes - it is just Publisher. My version of Publisher is 2000 - SP3. Any help would be appreciated. Whilst attempting to develop brick-based storage technology, Ed reads a message from G P Kaye <gavinpkaye@tiscali.co.uk> > I am using Outlook Exprees 6.00 on Windows XP. When > someone sends me an e-m...

outlook email #4
when I "send / receive" my mail from the office, I can no longer retrieve any of this mail later from home even if I do not "open" them. What am I doint wrong??? I'm a little confused. Are you saying that you're sending messages from work to home and they aren't getting there or that you're checking the mail server twice - once from work and then later from home (even if you didn't open them at work). I'm going to assume it's the latter. You probably have your ISP Mail Server configured to delete messages once they've been sent. It do...

Can outlook 97 be on a Win 95 machine be upgraded to outlook express?
No. >-----Original Message----- > >. > ...

Firewall ports for Outlook client
Hi, We are using Exchange 2003 and we are not using Outlook through RPC over HTTP yet but what are the port numbers that are used by the normal Outlook client to go through a firewall to connect to Exchange server ? Thank you. With best regards, Zul There would be so many ports to open, that you may as well not even have a firewall. Your best solution is to use Outlook Web Access temporarily while you set up RPC over HTTPS, or open port 1723 only and use Windows Server's built-in PPTP VPN, and help your users set up the built-in VPN connection on their remote workstations. H...

Outlook express to Outlook
How do I export my contacts and storage files from Outlook express on one computer with Windows XP to Outlook on my new computer which has Windows 7 -- Bill Install the Office trial on winxp PC, configure Outlook. In OE Export msgs to outlook In Outlook import mail addresses Close Outlook, copy the data file (probably named outlook.pst) to documents folder on Win7 In outlook File>Open>Data file.....browse to and open the copied data file "Bill" <Bill@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:68D2986E-477D-4E22-B35D-472295F5C7DC@microsoft.com... &...

outlook question #5
How do you get Outlook 2000 to boot to the startup screen instead of the inbox, and how do you enable the customize my outlook tab in the upper right as mine is currently not working even though I am the administrator locally and network. Bob Garber <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: > How do you get Outlook 2000 to boot to the startup screen > instead of the inbox, and how do you enable the customize > my outlook tab in the upper right as mine is currently > not working even though I am the administrator locally > and network. For your first question, Too...

my beef with outlook
i just installed outlook 2003 and i was full of hope that it would be different compared to the prrvious version and most of all outlook express. no luck. i cannot understand why or how outlook express is more handy when it comes to hotmail accounts. 1. i am on dial-up and when i click send/receive, outlook goes "dead" for about 30 seconds and then it continues on to send/receive. (my pc is 1.2 Ghz celeron 640 Mb ram, so i dont think there is a problem there) 2. every time i click on a hotmail folder, it synchronizes with the server. fine . outlook express does thi...

Outlook Disconnects
Equipment:I am using a LAN connection to my ISP. I am running Office 2000 Professional on a windows XP operating system. Problem: After I activate the send and receive button, the graphic in the lower left hand corner will show receiving 1 of 8 messages. After about 5-10 seconds I get an error message that says Outlook encountered a problem and has to shut down. It procedes to ask me if I want to send an error report which I do; then Outlook shuts down and my Desktop pops back up. Attempted solutions: I have uninstalled Office 2000 and re-installed it with no success. Have us...

Outlook XP
Hello, I work with someone who has a weird problem. When she composes a message, the Options button does not have the associated dropdown so that she can select "From". She needs to be able to change the from address. Is there a way to enable the dropdown, or alternatively, enable the "From"? Outlook XP/Windows XP Pro. Thanks! Jeff View | From?=20 --=20 Sue Mosher, Outlook MVP Author of Configuring Microsoft Outlook 2003 http://www.turtleflock.com/olconfig/index.htm and Microsoft Outlook Programming - Jumpstart for=20 Administrators, Power Users,...

Installing Outlook Problem
I am trying to install my Office Enterprise 2007 Student software on my second PC and Outlook is Red Xd and will not install. Installation on first PC was error free. I have tried custom installation to no avail. I have an older 2003 Office program that I can't uninstall because but can't because the pack package can't be opened. (I would like to solve this problem also, if anyone has a suggestion). Is this causing a conflict with my Outlook install? Enterprise is a volume license, there is no student edition. You cannot install outlook if any other version exis...

Outlook 2000 / outlook today problem
I have set Outlook 2000 to open in the Outlook Today page and although I have been using the application for some years, I have only just noticed that Saturday and Sunday do not display [ outlook today calendar] and appointment or anniversaries that fall over the weekend are shown as 'today' = Friday. Is there any way of fixing this ? Thanks in advance. ...

Help on removing leading dash in business card view Outlook 2007
For some reason about 100 of my 400 contacts have a dash (-) showing in the business card heading. Because it is leading it is alphabetizing the contacts using the dash first. That messes everything up. The is no dash in the company names or personal names or the file as so there is nothing to edit out. When I switch to address card view they alphabetize correctly. Anyone have a clue as to why this might be happening or how to fix it? Help on removing leading dash in business card view Outlook 2007 There is more to your story than you have revealed. Like the "For some rea...

Outlook and VirusScan
I am using Win XP Pro and my virus software is McAfee's VirusScan. The problem I am having is this; Whenever I open or close Outlook it disables my virus software. Also when I try and send an email with an attachment I have to turn VirusScan off otherwise Outlook crashes. Any ideas out there? ...

Outlook will not shut down
I am running Windows 2000 Professional Service Pack 4 and Outlook 2000 with Service Pack 3. When I close Outlook I get the message "Please wait while Microsoft Outlook exits". The trouble is it never exits. The only way to fully exit is to open task manager and end the Microsoft Outlook task. This is now happening on two of our desktops running Win2K and Outlook 2000. Any ideas? Bruce It's a conflict with WinFax On Tue, 9 Dec 2003 05:36:19 -0800, "Bruce" <bwhitely@jjtaylor.com> wrote: >I am running Windows 2000 Professional Service Pack 4 and >...

Outlook forms or templates?
I've been asked to create an e-mail questionnaire and I'm wondering what is the best to create it? I want to make sure that most e-mail clients will be able to read it and input answers. Most questions will have a numeric answer-- 1 to 5--but additional text input will be needed as well. Should a form or template, or something else be used? Thank you, Mark ...

outlook client problem #2
Hi I have a one user that have problem with outlook client are always prompt to login outlook 2007 crmclient V3C and have all patch install You might want to create a new profile for that client. Also check that they are running SQL 2005 Express on their desktop as opposed to an MSDE instance. Their was a shift in databases from 2000 to 2005 during the life of CRM v3.0 "sjm" wrote: > Hi > I have a one user that have problem with outlook client are always prompt to > login > outlook 2007 > crmclient V3C and have all patch install Hi sjm, Is the user also prom...

worksheet to beef cattle management
Hi Does someone know where can I find a worksheet to beef cattle management? Regards Some info here... http://www.lmgtfy.com/?q=cattle+management+in+excel -- Jim Cone Portland, Oregon USA . http://www.mediafire.com/PrimitiveSoftware . (free and commercial excel programs) "Osmario.Avila@gmail.com" <osmario.avila@gmail.com> wrote in message news:80de573b-31b9-44a9-a1ea-5c3517c1e218@w24g2000yqw.googlegroups.com... > Hi > Does someone know where can I find a worksheet to beef cattle > management? > Regards ...

Outlook 2003
Outlook 2003, "leave messages on Server" set for 7 days. I subscribe to a mailing list, for which I have a Rule set up as follows: If the mail is from the mailing list, move to Folder "x", mark as read, and stop processing more rules. Outlook is downloading two copies of each mail, just for the mailing list. I have been to KB 885870 which says that this behaviour is cured by applying Office Service Pack 2. I *have* Office service Pack 2! Any thoughts as to how to cure this? thanks -- Gordon Burgess-Parker Systems and Management Accounting www.gbpcomputing.co.uk G...

Outlook don't close (Outlook 2000)
When I try to close the Outlook , the sofware stuck on "Pleas waite While Microsoft Outlook exits", Olny when I close Outlook.exe from th Task Manager the Message disappear. Any help ----------------------------------------------- ~~ Message posted from http://www.ExcelTip.com ~~View and post usenet messages directly from http://www.ExcelForum.com ...

Outlook with Outlook Express ?