Multiple PST Files #2

I am running Outlook 2003 and would like to have Outlook use two
different .pst files (one for my work stuff and one for home) on the
same computer.  Is it possible to do this?

If so, can I can I configure one of the pst files to get e-mail from
one account, while the other pst file is configured to get mail from
the other account?

Thanks!

-D
0
dbk (4)

Yes, you can create multiple PSTs. I keep mine stored in
the same file location but with different names.
Depending on which version of Outlook you run, you can
creat a new pst from file/new/Outlook Data File (I run
Outlook 2003 but had multiple PSTs with older versions of
outlook).

After you have the new PST created you will need to enter
in the specific account access info (assuming its POP3
access) which is available under tools/email accounts.
You need POP and SMTP names as well as the account name
and password.

Finally you need to tell outlook where to deliver mail
for that PST. In outlook 2003 that is available from the
same form where you manage email accounts. Not sure on
older versions so try Outlook Help (f1).

Good luck!

0
anonymous (74719)
2/3/2004 9:38:23 PM
No. You can only designate one PST file as the default delivery location.
There is very little reason I can think of for multiple PST files. Separate
Folders in the same PST file works just as well and then you can use rules
to direct messages into the desired folders.
--
Russ Valentine
[MVP-Outlook]
"dbk" <dbk@creare.com> wrote in message
> I am running Outlook 2003 and would like to have Outlook use two
> different .pst files (one for my work stuff and one for home) on the
> same computer.  Is it possible to do this?
>
> If so, can I can I configure one of the pst files to get e-mail from
> one account, while the other pst file is configured to get mail from
> the other account?
>
> Thanks!
>
> -D

0
russval (3097)
2/3/2004 9:52:34 PM
Russ,

Thanks for your note.  My reason for wanting multiple pst files is to
seperate personal e-mail and contacts from business.  You state that
only one pst file can be specified as the default delivery location.
My goal is to load one pst file - connect to my office account and
download e-mail and then at a later time, load my personal pst file
and connect to a different account to download e-mail from a different
account.

Is something like this possible?

Thanks!

-DBK

"Russ Valentine [MVP-Outlook]" <russval@mvps.org> wrote in message news:<e7V9NAq6DHA.1504@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl>...
> No. You can only designate one PST file as the default delivery location.
> There is very little reason I can think of for multiple PST files. Separate
> Folders in the same PST file works just as well and then you can use rules
> to direct messages into the desired folders.
> --
> Russ Valentine
> [MVP-Outlook]
> "dbk" <dbk@creare.com> wrote in message
> > I am running Outlook 2003 and would like to have Outlook use two
> > different .pst files (one for my work stuff and one for home) on the
> > same computer.  Is it possible to do this?
> >
> > If so, can I can I configure one of the pst files to get e-mail from
> > one account, while the other pst file is configured to get mail from
> > the other account?
> >
> > Thanks!
> >
> > -D
0
dbk (4)
2/4/2004 1:35:39 PM
You could make a business PST file or a PST file for individual clients.
Then one mail is rec to the main inbox, move the correspondind email to the
pst file you wish. Just right click on the email you want and see the
choices.

> Russ,
>
> Thanks for your note.  My reason for wanting multiple pst files is to
> seperate personal e-mail and contacts from business.  You state that
> only one pst file can be specified as the default delivery location.
> My goal is to load one pst file - connect to my office account and
> download e-mail and then at a later time, load my personal pst file
> and connect to a different account to download e-mail from a different
> account.
>
> Is something like this possible?
>
> Thanks!
>
> -DBK
>
> "Russ Valentine [MVP-Outlook]" <russval@mvps.org> wrote in message
> > No. You can only designate one PST file as the default delivery
location.
> > There is very little reason I can think of for multiple PST files.
Separate
> > Folders in the same PST file works just as well and then you can use
rules
> > to direct messages into the desired folders.
> > --
> > Russ Valentine
> > [MVP-Outlook]
> > "dbk" <dbk@creare.com> wrote in message
> > > I am running Outlook 2003 and would like to have Outlook use two
> > > different .pst files (one for my work stuff and one for home) on the
> > > same computer.  Is it possible to do this?
> > >
> > > If so, can I can I configure one of the pst files to get e-mail from
> > > one account, while the other pst file is configured to get mail from
> > > the other account?
> > >
> > > Thanks!
> > >
> > > -D

0
medrxman (26)
2/4/2004 3:35:49 PM
Sounds like you just need to create two separate Outlook profiles, one for
each account and each using a separate PST file. Take a look at this MS KB
article, it may help:
http://support.microsoft.com/support/kb/articles/q287/0/72.asp

--
Russ Valentine
[MVP-Outlook]
"dbk" <dbk@creare.com> wrote in message
> Russ,
>
> Thanks for your note.  My reason for wanting multiple pst files is to
> seperate personal e-mail and contacts from business.  You state that
> only one pst file can be specified as the default delivery location.
> My goal is to load one pst file - connect to my office account and
> download e-mail and then at a later time, load my personal pst file
> and connect to a different account to download e-mail from a different
> account.
>
> Is something like this possible?
>
> Thanks!
>
> -DBK
>
> "Russ Valentine [MVP-Outlook]" <russval@mvps.org> wrote in message
> > No. You can only designate one PST file as the default delivery
location.
> > There is very little reason I can think of for multiple PST files.
Separate
> > Folders in the same PST file works just as well and then you can use
rules
> > to direct messages into the desired folders.
> > --
> > Russ Valentine
> > [MVP-Outlook]
> > "dbk" <dbk@creare.com> wrote in message
> > > I am running Outlook 2003 and would like to have Outlook use two
> > > different .pst files (one for my work stuff and one for home) on the
> > > same computer.  Is it possible to do this?
> > >
> > > If so, can I can I configure one of the pst files to get e-mail from
> > > one account, while the other pst file is configured to get mail from
> > > the other account?
> > >
> > > Thanks!
> > >
> > > -D

0
russval (3097)
2/4/2004 9:53:16 PM
I have Outlook 2000 could Ido this too?
> Yes, you can create multiple PSTs. I keep mine stored in
> the same file location but with different names.
> Depending on which version of Outlook you run, you can
> creat a new pst from file/new/Outlook Data File (I run
> Outlook 2003 but had multiple PSTs with older versions of
> outlook).
>
> After you have the new PST created you will need to enter
> in the specific account access info (assuming its POP3
> access) which is available under tools/email accounts.
> You need POP and SMTP names as well as the account name
> and password.
>
> Finally you need to tell outlook where to deliver mail
> for that PST. In outlook 2003 that is available from the
> same form where you manage email accounts. Not sure on
> older versions so try Outlook Help (f1).
>
> Good luck!

0
portella1 (15)
2/5/2004 12:02:03 AM
Hi Russ,

Great - this does sound like what I need.  How do I associate the
different pst files with each Outlook profile?

-DBK

"Russ Valentine [MVP-Outlook]" <russval@mvps.org> wrote in message news:<OyG4Pl26DHA.1664@TK2MSFTNGP11.phx.gbl>...
> Sounds like you just need to create two separate Outlook profiles, one for
> each account and each using a separate PST file. Take a look at this MS KB
> article, it may help:
> http://support.microsoft.com/support/kb/articles/q287/0/72.asp
>
> --
> Russ Valentine
> [MVP-Outlook]
> "dbk" <dbk@creare.com> wrote in message
> > Russ,
> >
> > Thanks for your note.  My reason for wanting multiple pst files is to
> > seperate personal e-mail and contacts from business.  You state that
> > only one pst file can be specified as the default delivery location.
> > My goal is to load one pst file - connect to my office account and
> > download e-mail and then at a later time, load my personal pst file
> > and connect to a different account to download e-mail from a different
> > account.
> >
> > Is something like this possible?
> >
> > Thanks!
> >
> > -DBK
> >
> > "Russ Valentine [MVP-Outlook]" <russval@mvps.org> wrote in message
> > > No. You can only designate one PST file as the default delivery
>  location.
> > > There is very little reason I can think of for multiple PST files.
>  Separate
> > > Folders in the same PST file works just as well and then you can use
>  rules
> > > to direct messages into the desired folders.
> > > --
> > > Russ Valentine
> > > [MVP-Outlook]
> > > "dbk" <dbk@creare.com> wrote in message

0
dbk (4)
2/5/2004 3:58:11 PM
Make sure you know the name and location of each PST file you want to use.
When you configure each profile, you will have the opportunity to specify
which Personal Folders File you want that profile to use.
--
> Hi Russ,
>
> Great - this does sound like what I need.  How do I associate the
> different pst files with each Outlook profile?
>
> -DBK
>
> "Russ Valentine [MVP-Outlook]" <russval@mvps.org> wrote in message
> > Sounds like you just need to create two separate Outlook profiles, one
for
> > each account and each using a separate PST file. Take a look at this MS
KB
> > article, it may help:
> > http://support.microsoft.com/support/kb/articles/q287/0/72.asp
> >
> > --
> > Russ Valentine
> > [MVP-Outlook]
> > "dbk" <dbk@creare.com> wrote in message
> > > Russ,
> > >
> > > Thanks for your note.  My reason for wanting multiple pst files is to
> > > seperate personal e-mail and contacts from business.  You state that
> > > only one pst file can be specified as the default delivery location.
> > > My goal is to load one pst file - connect to my office account and
> > > download e-mail and then at a later time, load my personal pst file
> > > and connect to a different account to download e-mail from a different
> > > account.
> > >
> > > Is something like this possible?
> > >
> > > Thanks!
> > >
> > > -DBK
> > >
> > > "Russ Valentine [MVP-Outlook]" <russval@mvps.org> wrote in message
> >  location.
> >  Separate
> >  rules

0
russval (3097)

Create a list with multiple criteria

Is there policy setting to prevent saving file without extension?
I previously posted related question in Office Developer Add-in group... http://www.microsoft.com/office/community/en-us/default.mspx?dg=microsoft.public.office.developer.com.add_ins&mid=869e5007-3e31-46be-9d2a-f24ed5a324c8 ....but I did not get any response, so I have reframed a more general question here. In one particular environment (Terminal Services session on MS windows server 2003 standard edition SP2 with Office Professional Plus 2007 SP2), when I try to save a file (programmatically) withOUT .docx extension, the file is automatically saved with the extension. (The ...

Removing multiple hyperlinks

2 lane setup with vital
is anyone using 2 lanes and processing through RMS? i recently started processing with RMS and lane 1 is processing fine but lane 2 gives me a declined. I have added the same info into edc for both the lanes. Do i need to change anything for lane 2 to start processing cards? ...

Charting multiple multiples

unable to delete mailbox #2
Hi, I tried to delete an account, but I found its mailbox is still there and I have no way to delete it. I use Exchange 2003 in WIn 2003 server. Please tell me how to delete an account with removing everthing related to this account? I can reboot my server. Thanks in advance. Lisa you wanted to delete the mailbox or the account? when you delete an account in 2003, the mailbox is orphaned/deleted...is there a little red x on the mailbox? "Lisa" <Lisa@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:29EAED62-64DB-4857-BC00-18C3B2040F6A@microsoft.com... > Hi, > >...

distributing data into multiple cells

Single click selects multiple cells

SK 40175 Tuff-1 1/2-Inch Drive 15-Inch Reversible Ratchet
Price:$90.24 Image: http://thediscounfinder.info/image.php?id=B0009U5RRM Best deal: http://thediscounfinder.info/index.php?id=B0009U5RRM Item #: SKT40175. Features & Benefits:Tuff 1(r) Ratchets 72 tooth head design delivers a short 5" stroke for use in tight areas.17 teeth engage when torque is applied to provide a strong grip without slippage.Thumb falls naturally into position, giving instant control with one hand.Easy to reverse, 4 point cap.SuperKrome plating for long tool life and maximum corrosion resistance.Description: 15" Reversible Tuff Customers also search for:...

renaming worksheet tabs #2
How can I rename the worksheet tabs at one time. EXAMPLE: I created a months work of worksheets for the month of JANUARY. Now I need to change them to FEBRUARY. Jan-1,Jan-2,Jan3 to Feb-1,Feb2,Feb3 without ahve to go to each tab. Can it be done? try this Sub changewsname() newmonth = InputBox("Enter 3 letter code for month desired") For Each ws In Worksheets If Left(ws.Name, 5) <> "Sheet" _ And IsNumeric(Right(ws.Name, 1)) Then ws.Name = Application.Proper _ (newmonth & Right(ws.Name, Len(ws.Name) - 3)) End If Next ws End Sub -- Don Guillett SalesA...

jpg files
I have had several users experiencing problems opening pictures from Outlook 2000. Their O/S is XP Pro. Any ideas? Thank You, Jamie ...

Using Off-line files to synchronise pst file
This is a multi-part message in MIME format. ------=_NextPart_000_0022_01C52659.2A201E60 Content-Type: text/plain; charset="iso-8859-1" Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable Can I use Off-line files (XP Pro SP2) to synchronise Outlook 2003 pst = file between laptop and desktop? --=20 Interim Systems and Management Accounting Gordon Burgess-Parker=20 Director www.gbpcomputing.co.uk ------=_NextPart_000_0022_01C52659.2A201E60 Content-Type: text/html; charset="iso-8859-1" Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable <!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 4....

Pass optional parameters to a method in a Dictionary (C#2.0) ?
Hi, We have some test code where we would want to invoke a method with optional parameters. In C# 4.0, I believe we could use named parameters, but we're using C# 2.0 I found a Dictionary solved my problem, but I'm not sure it's the best pattern for C# 2.0?. Could anyone please comment on whether or not there's a more appropriate pattern? Cheers artie EXAMPLE: public void AddToDatabase(Dictionary<string,object> fields) { string _surname = ""; string _city = ""; int _employeeId; if (fields.ContainsKey("...

Cancel read receipt #2
Third attempt - thanks everyone, but I know how to turn read receipts off (which I've now done). The problem is that I sent a read receipt on a message which arrived via a mail service which doesn't support send (POP3 only, no SMTP service). Outlook 2003 is continually trying to send the receipt via the service on which it arrived (and therefore continually failing). As the message doesn't appear in Outbox or Sent Items - any ideas how I can get rid of it? ...

CPrintDialog question #2
I am using the following code to print a dialog. The problem is that the resulting print is blocked out under the print dialog (data missing that was under the printer selection dialog). void CResultsDlg::OnBnClickedPrint() { CPrintDialog dlg(FALSE); if (dlg.DoModal() == IDOK) { // Create a printer device context (DC) based on the information // selected from the Print dialog. HDC hdc = dlg.CreatePrinterDC(); ASSERT(hdc); CString strWindowTitle; GetWindowText(strWindowTitle); VERIFY(PrintWindow(m_hWnd,hdc,strWindowTitle)); CDC::FromHandle(hdc)->DeleteDC(); } } What can I do ...

Sending to multiple addresses

File storage
Where and how are the files stored in the crm database for a note attachment, I need to download the file for a certain event and save it in a folder on machine without the download dialog box appearing. is it the version column of annotationbase where i only see binary,how do i query database in this case ,I am unable to do through the howto method of downloading ...

multiple selection

Exchange 2000 Distribution Lists

enter time into file for a time sheet
how can I enter the time automatically into a cell. perhaps a macro. hilte the cell and hit your macro or enter? I want to round the time to the nearest 1/4 hour. I also want to be able to override the automatic function The quick way to enter current time is Ctrl plus the colon (date is Ctrl plus semi-colon) but this doesn't round to the nearest 15 minutes. I think there is an add-in that would do that as a worksheet function. Here is a subroutine that might do what you want: Sub RndToQtrHr() Dim currMin As Long Dim M As Long Dim plusHour As Boolean currMin = Minute(Time) plusHour = ...

Backup program that doesn't change the file structure
Not sure if anyone or myself asked this before but I'm looking for a backup program that will copy and update modified files to another location without putting them in some proprietary file format. ntbackup from XP makes some file called .bkf and other programs seem to create their own type of files. If I have 300 files in 22 folders that I'm backing up from drive C: I want to see 300 files in 22 folders in the backup location after its done. Is this even possible? Basically a mirror of the existing data. "Gary Gary" <blah@blah.blah> wro...

How to hide form from grid 2 to 4
I have a form that I’m using as main form menu, I need three different portions to be able to hide and view. I know how to hide acDetail section, Heared or footer but do not know how to hide a potion of the form only, i.e.: on detail section hide form from grid 2 to 4. Any help, tip or comment is greatly appreciated, Adnan hi Adnan, Adnan wrote: > I have a form that I’m using as main form menu, I need three different > portions to be able to hide and view. I know how to hide acDetail section, > Heared or footer but do not know how to hide a potion of the form only, i.e.: >...