Moving PST Files Between Computers

I'm using O2003.  I have a desktop and a laptop.  What I currently do
is have my PST file on an external hard drive and I use the hard drive
at work with my desktop and carry it with me when I travel with my
laptop.  I only have the PST file on the external drive.

Instead of carrying a hard drive all the time when I travel (which I do
alot), is there a better option to get the PST file between the two
hard drives (desktop and laptop) without using the external hard drive.
 I'm guessing I can connect the two computers and copy the file each
time, but the PST file is about 4.6 GB.

Shawn

0
srm (64)

I cannot find the PST file on my hard drive. I use OUtlook 2003. Previous
versions had it in c:\windows\Application Data\Microsoft\Outlook but I cannot
find it in 2003 version. Where should I look? Thanks. jj

"srm" wrote:

> I'm using O2003.  I have a desktop and a laptop.  What I currently do
> is have my PST file on an external hard drive and I use the hard drive
> at work with my desktop and carry it with me when I travel with my
> laptop.  I only have the PST file on the external drive.
>
> Instead of carrying a hard drive all the time when I travel (which I do
> alot), is there a better option to get the PST file between the two
> hard drives (desktop and laptop) without using the external hard drive.
>  I'm guessing I can connect the two computers and copy the file each
> time, but the PST file is about 4.6 GB.

> Shawn

0
JohnJames (4)
4/22/2005 2:24:03 AM
John James wrote:
> I cannot find the PST file on my hard drive. I use OUtlook 2003. Previous
> versions had it in c:\windows\Application Data\Microsoft\Outlook but I cannot
> find it in 2003 version. Where should I look? Thanks. jj

And how is your question related to the OP? please post a NEW question
if yours is nothing to do with the OP.

What OS are you using?

--
Gordon Burgess-Parker
www.gbpcomputing.co.uk

0
gordonbp11 (453)
4/22/2005 8:37:56 AM
srm <srm@primatech.com> wrote:

> I'm using O2003.  I have a desktop and a laptop.  What I currently do
> is have my PST file on an external hard drive and I use the hard drive
> at work with my desktop and carry it with me when I travel with my
> laptop.  I only have the PST file on the external drive.
>
> Instead of carrying a hard drive all the time when I travel (which I
> do alot), is there a better option to get the PST file between the two
> hard drives (desktop and laptop) without using the external hard
> drive. I'm guessing I can connect the two computers and copy the file
> each time, but the PST file is about 4.6 GB.

Some sync suggestions and tools can be found here:
http://www.slipstick.com/outlook/sync.htm
--
Brian Tillman

0
tillman1952 (16052)
4/22/2005 1:51:27 PM
John James <JohnJames@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

> I cannot find the PST file on my hard drive. I use OUtlook 2003.
> Previous versions had it in c:\windows\Application
> Data\Microsoft\Outlook but I cannot find it in 2003 version.

It's not the version of Outlook that matters for the default PST placement,
but the version of Windows you use.  The path you quote is a Windows 98
path.  Outlook on Windows 2000 and Windows XP by default store the PSTs in
the (hidden) folder %UserProfile%\Local Setting\Application
Data\Microsoft\Outlook.
--
Brian Tillman

0
tillman1952 (16052)
4/22/2005 1:53:35 PM
The thread relates to PST, ergo my question. See thread heading. I am using
Windows XP Pro

"Gordon" wrote:

> John James wrote:
> > I cannot find the PST file on my hard drive. I use OUtlook 2003. Previous
> > versions had it in c:\windows\Application Data\Microsoft\Outlook but I cannot
> > find it in 2003 version. Where should I look? Thanks. jj
> >
> And how is your question related to the OP? please post a NEW question
> if yours is nothing to do with the OP.
>
> What OS are you using?
>
> --
> Gordon Burgess-Parker
> Interim Systems and Management Accounting
> www.gbpcomputing.co.uk

0
JohnJames (4)
4/22/2005 5:34:07 PM
John James wrote:
|| The thread relates to PST, ergo my question. See thread heading. I
|| am using Windows XP Pro
|| "Gordon" wrote:

*NO*. The thread is about *MOVING* a pst, not "can't find" a pst. My comment
still stands.

The default location in XP is C:\Documents and Settings\{your
username}\Local settings\Application data\Microsoft\Outlook
And in XP it's a hidden file.
--
Gordon Burgess-Parker
www.gbpcomputing.co.uk

0
gordonbp11 (453)
4/22/2005 5:42:52 PM
John James <JohnJames@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

> The thread relates to PST, ergo my question. See thread heading. I am
> using Windows XP Pro

See my earlier post for the location.
--
Brian Tillman
0

Moving license to a new computer

Possible? Using Word template .dot file as app's doc template?
Just curious... I was wondering if a Word .dot file could be used as a template for my app's document. It would give users the option of customizing the look of output from my program without my having to duplicate a lot of functionality. For them it would be a familiar way to do the formatting. A win/win as they say. Do Word documents have a published format, or are redistributable .dll files available from Microsoft (at extra cost) to do this? Thanks, Rick ...

Files incomplete
When I go into Start/My Computer/C:/1Dan which is my directory I cannot get a complete list of all the sub-directories. It seems the more recent ones that I have created are not listed. I can find them when I use various S/W (Office, Excel, etc). Is there a setting that I need to change or something else I am doing wrong?? Thanks, Why are you accessing / or trying, data from that path? and if that is the actual path then you have created a directory named 1Dan.... in the route of C: for an unknown reason. The win user directories are under Documents & Settings Your da...

Can't open files from a different version saved to 2000 format
Hi, I am having problems opening a file sent to me by someone using Publisher 2003. I have Publisher 2000. She saved to the 2000 format, but it says that I cannot open files from a different version. The document shows up in the preview area, but will not open. She even tried to save it to the 98 format, but it still will not open. Any ideas? Julie wrote: > Hi, > > I am having problems opening a file sent to me by someone using > Publisher 2003. I have Publisher 2000. She saved to the 2000 format, > but it says that I cannot open files from a different version. The > d...

Bring filtered data from another file
I have a Birthdays file I have a Calendar file After each date in this calendar file I have 4 empty lines (assumption: max 4 birthdays on the same day) 15.01.2010 ......... ......... ......... ......... 16.01.2010 ......... ......... ......... ......... How can I bring the names for each date from the Birthdays file. Thanks and regards, CousinExcel ...

Critical OE/Outlook Backup Files
Greetings. Would one of you knowledgable MPV's kindly tell me which OE/Outlook files should be backed up so I don't lose any of my address book, folders, or data from both programs. I am in need of reinstalling my OS (XP) and don't want to lose any of my important names, folders, documents, etc. Your assistance is much appreciated. Outlook: http://www.slipstick.com/config/backup.htm Outlook Express: http://insideoe.tomsterdam.com/backup/index.htm -- PATRICK REED [Outlook - MVP]~~~~~~ -Microsoft Certified Professional (MCP) -Have you checked http://www.slipstick.com? -P...

Safe to Move?

Moving Exchange 2000

VBA code could not find file
I am using the code shown as an example in the help files and when run, it cannot locate the file. Dim dbsProjects As Database Set dbsProjects = OpenDatabase("Projects.mdb") Why can VB not find the open database? Try putting the full path to Projects.mdb, rather than just the file name. That statement would only work if Projects.mdb happens to be in whatever folder is the current directory. Predicting what Access considers to be the current directory can be difficult: it depends on how you opened the application. -- Doug Steele, Microsoft Access MVP http://I.Am/DougSteele (...

mail moved from netscape to outlook?

Moving Pages between two publications

Move mailbox rights in Exchange 5.5 #2

Re: PST file problems
>> "properties for this information service must be defined prior to use" Perhaps this has something to do with Outlook web services in Corporate or Workgroup/Exchange mode? How could this affect a PTS file or PST import? FWIW, the original archive files were not created while in Corporate or Workgroup/Exchange mode. Any answers? please include connarch@yahoo.com in any reply -- Pierre Levesque, AIA c. 917.577.8780 "Pierre Levesque, AIA" <pierrelevesque@connarch.com> wrote in message news:... > > "Brian Tillman" <tillman1952@yahoo.co...

kb973904 and doc files
winXP SP3 and KB973904 when that update is installed, and I open a .doc file using wordpad, I see all the hidden coding. When I save a .doc file using wordpad, I get an error message, unable to save. If I uninstall that update, then I'm back to normal again. Is there a problem with the update? Do I need this update? Andreas, See this MSKB to understand what the update is doing: MS09-073: Description of the security update for Windows XP, Windows 2000, and Windows Server 2003: December 8, 2009 http://support.microsoft.com/kb/973904 Specifically, the " Funct...

How do I change default user name for all Excel Files?
Attempting SSconsolidation ex Tools-->Options, User Info tab. You may need to do it from Word, depending on your version...which is why including your version is always helpful. ************ Anne Troy www.OfficeArticles.com "miriamfox" <miriamfox@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:0889E47B-E1C6-4F3B-B6D5-8AF5405AA92C@microsoft.com... > Attempting SSconsolidation ex ...

Processing large files with TextFieldParser
ASP.net 3.5/SQL Server 2008 I've got a large (1.1m rows) csv file which needs parsing and sticking into sql server - the job needs doing every day and if anything the csv will get larger over time. At present I'm using a TextFieldParser to parse the csv line by line and add to the database. This fails probably 2 times in 3, if it's going to fall over it's usually at around 200,000 lines. Looking for suggestions as to how to do this robustly, on a shared server which doesn't allow bulk insert. Fair to assume the server is a factor in failure but I can't ...

Multiple Outlook Sessions With Unique PST's
Hi there, I want to set up two different Outlook PST's and have two Outlook icons - one that will open Outlook with the first PST and one that will open Outlook with the second PST. I don't need to run them simultaneously. I just want to be able to have the two instances of Outlook be totally separate from each other. Is there a way to do this? Thanks in advance. James Seperate Profiles? Use the mail applet in the control panel to create a new profile, prompt for profile, and add or create a new pst "James Martin" <noreply@noreply.com> wrote in message news...

Exporting to PST
We're using Exchange 5.5 and are getting ready to move to Exchange 2003. This is a fresh install and not a migration as we're redoing our domain structure. The problem is that I cannot export from the Exchange server to a pst file using Outlook, no matter who the user is the same error always comes up "Some items could not be copied. They were either moved or deleted, or access was denied". However I can manually copy the items. I need to be able to export the users mailboxes to a pst so I can pull them back in to Exchange 2003. Any help would be appreciated. ...

pst access
In outlook 2000 if I left outlook open and opened outlook on another computer the most recient computer was connected to my pst and the other computer(s) were disconnected. In outlook 2003 you can not open the pst on the second computer. This is fine for this case. However it does begin to cause a problem when you attempt to backup a server that has psts on it. Is there any fix for this? Or a way to revert back? Thanks Kirk ...