Move .PST File to server

I was trying an  expiriment- I wanted to see if I could move my PST
File to my server so that it is backed up on the tape drive.

I copied my PST to a folder on the server then I changed  the location
of the PST file and pointed it at the folder.  After I did this I had
a second Personal Folder in my Outlook.  This is were all of the items
were located that were in the PST file on the server.

Then I tried to get rid of the second Personal folder and go back to
the PST file on my computer.  I could not delete either of the
Personal Folders

There has to be a way to do this.  Can someone tell me the correct
steps to move the PST file to the server so it can be backed up?

Many Thanks

0
rboetger (79)

Personal folder files are unsupported over a LAN or over a WAN link=20
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/297019/en-us

--=81
Milly Staples [MVP - Outlook]

reading. =20

After furious head scratching, Ron Boetger asked:

| I was trying an  expiriment- I wanted to see if I could move my PST
| File to my server so that it is backed up on the tape drive.
|=20
| I copied my PST to a folder on the server then I changed  the location
| of the PST file and pointed it at the folder.  After I did this I had
| a second Personal Folder in my Outlook.  This is were all of the items
| were located that were in the PST file on the server.
|=20
| Then I tried to get rid of the second Personal folder and go back to
| the PST file on my computer.  I could not delete either of the
| Personal Folders
|=20
| There has to be a way to do this.  Can someone tell me the correct
| steps to move the PST file to the server so it can be backed up?
|=20
| Many Thanks
0
Milly
3/9/2008 4:17:30 AM
Hi Ron,

in addition ti Milly�s posting:

If you still have the problem with the same additional PST file, have a look
on this sites:
http://www.publicshareware.com/outlook-public-fix-profile.php
http://www.outlook-tips.net/howto/ghosts.htm

How to automatically back up your personal folders file in Outlook 2000 and
Outlook 2003
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/238782/en-us

--
Oliver Vukovics
Share your Outlook PST files without Exchange: Public ShareFolder

"Ron Boetger" <rboetger@bblink.net> schrieb im Newsbeitrag
>I was trying an  expiriment- I wanted to see if I could move my PST
> File to my server so that it is backed up on the tape drive.
>
> I copied my PST to a folder on the server then I changed  the location
> of the PST file and pointed it at the folder.  After I did this I had
> a second Personal Folder in my Outlook.  This is were all of the items
> were located that were in the PST file on the server.
>
> Then I tried to get rid of the second Personal folder and go back to
> the PST file on my computer.  I could not delete either of the
> Personal Folders
>
> There has to be a way to do this.  Can someone tell me the correct
> steps to move the PST file to the server so it can be backed up?
>
> Many Thanks

0
trash5936 (201)
3/10/2008 11:19:20 AM
Is there a similar program for Outlook 2007?

Many Thanks

On Mon, 10 Mar 2008 12:19:20 +0100, "Oliver Vukovics [Public
Shareware]" <trash@publicshareware.com> wrote:

>Hi Ron,
>
>in addition ti Milly�s posting:
>
>If you still have the problem with the same additional PST file, have a look
>on this sites:
>http://www.publicshareware.com/outlook-public-fix-profile.php
>http://www.outlook-tips.net/howto/ghosts.htm
>
>How to automatically back up your personal folders file in Outlook 2000 and
>Outlook 2003
>http://support.microsoft.com/kb/238782/en-us
0
rboetger (79)
3/11/2008 2:17:31 AM
"Ron Boetger" <rboetger@bblink.net> wrote in message
> Is there a similar program for Outlook 2007?
>
> Many Thanks

If you are referring to the automatic backup program, then yes, it works for
2007 as well...

0
gbplinux (1141)
3/11/2008 8:14:33 AM
Well I installed it on my machine that has Outlook 2007 and I can't
find the Backup button nor does it come up at exiting Outlook like it
did on my Outlook 2003
What am I doing wrong?

Thanks

On Tue, 11 Mar 2008 08:14:33 -0000, "Gordon"
<gbplinux@gmail.com.invalid> wrote:

>"Ron Boetger" <rboetger@bblink.net> wrote in message
>> Is there a similar program for Outlook 2007?
>>
>> Many Thanks
>
>If you are referring to the automatic backup program, then yes, it works for
>2007 as well...

0
rboetger (79)
3/12/2008 1:31:45 AM
you need the backup tool installed and enabled.
Refer here:
http://office.microsoft.com/en-au/outlook/HA010875321033.aspx
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=8b081f3a-b7d0-4b16-b8af-5a6322f4fd01&displaylang=en

> Well I installed it on my machine that has Outlook 2007 and I can't
> find the Backup button nor does it come up at exiting Outlook like it
> did on my Outlook 2003
> What am I doing wrong?
>
> Thanks
>

> On Tue, 11 Mar 2008 08:14:33 -0000, "Gordon"
> <gbplinux@gmail.com.invalid> wrote:
>
>>"Ron Boetger" <rboetger@bblink.net> wrote in message
>>> Is there a similar program for Outlook 2007?
>>>
>>> Many Thanks
>>
>>If you are referring to the automatic backup program, then yes, it works
>>for
>>2007 as well...

0
BillR4934 (24)

Moving license to a new computer

Possible? Using Word template .dot file as app's doc template?
Just curious... I was wondering if a Word .dot file could be used as a template for my app's document. It would give users the option of customizing the look of output from my program without my having to duplicate a lot of functionality. For them it would be a familiar way to do the formatting. A win/win as they say. Do Word documents have a published format, or are redistributable .dll files available from Microsoft (at extra cost) to do this? Thanks, Rick ...

Files incomplete
When I go into Start/My Computer/C:/1Dan which is my directory I cannot get a complete list of all the sub-directories. It seems the more recent ones that I have created are not listed. I can find them when I use various S/W (Office, Excel, etc). Is there a setting that I need to change or something else I am doing wrong?? Thanks, Why are you accessing / or trying, data from that path? and if that is the actual path then you have created a directory named 1Dan.... in the route of C: for an unknown reason. The win user directories are under Documents & Settings Your da...

Bring filtered data from another file
I have a Birthdays file I have a Calendar file After each date in this calendar file I have 4 empty lines (assumption: max 4 birthdays on the same day) 15.01.2010 ......... ......... ......... ......... 16.01.2010 ......... ......... ......... ......... How can I bring the names for each date from the Birthdays file. Thanks and regards, CousinExcel ...

Can't open files from a different version saved to 2000 format
Hi, I am having problems opening a file sent to me by someone using Publisher 2003. I have Publisher 2000. She saved to the 2000 format, but it says that I cannot open files from a different version. The document shows up in the preview area, but will not open. She even tried to save it to the 98 format, but it still will not open. Any ideas? Julie wrote: > Hi, > > I am having problems opening a file sent to me by someone using > Publisher 2003. I have Publisher 2000. She saved to the 2000 format, > but it says that I cannot open files from a different version. The > d...

Critical OE/Outlook Backup Files
Greetings. Would one of you knowledgable MPV's kindly tell me which OE/Outlook files should be backed up so I don't lose any of my address book, folders, or data from both programs. I am in need of reinstalling my OS (XP) and don't want to lose any of my important names, folders, documents, etc. Your assistance is much appreciated. Outlook: http://www.slipstick.com/config/backup.htm Outlook Express: http://insideoe.tomsterdam.com/backup/index.htm -- PATRICK REED [Outlook - MVP]~~~~~~ -Microsoft Certified Professional (MCP) -Have you checked http://www.slipstick.com? -P...

Safe to Move?

Moving Exchange 2000

VBA code could not find file
I am using the code shown as an example in the help files and when run, it cannot locate the file. Dim dbsProjects As Database Set dbsProjects = OpenDatabase("Projects.mdb") Why can VB not find the open database? Try putting the full path to Projects.mdb, rather than just the file name. That statement would only work if Projects.mdb happens to be in whatever folder is the current directory. Predicting what Access considers to be the current directory can be difficult: it depends on how you opened the application. -- Doug Steele, Microsoft Access MVP http://I.Am/DougSteele (...

mail moved from netscape to outlook?

Moving Pages between two publications

Howto find multiple servers using TCP
I have to search my subnet to look for servers that are listening on port 30715. I am using one thread of a derived class of CAsyncSocket. I am using CEvents with a 200 milisecond timeout, if there is no connection within the 200 miliseconds, then I know there is no serer. However searching from 192.168.1.1 to 192.168.1.254 takes a long time. Is there a better way? I can't think of another way. But if the server program is your program, then I have a suggestion. I have a server that alot of clients connect to, and I really didn't want to have to input the server address in ever...

Move mailbox rights in Exchange 5.5 #2

Re: PST file problems
>> "properties for this information service must be defined prior to use" Perhaps this has something to do with Outlook web services in Corporate or Workgroup/Exchange mode? How could this affect a PTS file or PST import? FWIW, the original archive files were not created while in Corporate or Workgroup/Exchange mode. Any answers? please include connarch@yahoo.com in any reply -- Pierre Levesque, AIA c. 917.577.8780 "Pierre Levesque, AIA" <pierrelevesque@connarch.com> wrote in message news:... > > "Brian Tillman" <tillman1952@yahoo.co...

kb973904 and doc files
winXP SP3 and KB973904 when that update is installed, and I open a .doc file using wordpad, I see all the hidden coding. When I save a .doc file using wordpad, I get an error message, unable to save. If I uninstall that update, then I'm back to normal again. Is there a problem with the update? Do I need this update? Andreas, See this MSKB to understand what the update is doing: MS09-073: Description of the security update for Windows XP, Windows 2000, and Windows Server 2003: December 8, 2009 http://support.microsoft.com/kb/973904 Specifically, the " Funct...

Can find POP3 server but not SMTP?
Hi all I am having a problem connecting to an SMTP server with Outlook 2000 in Windows XP, it says that the SMTP server is not found and gives me a dialogue box to try and reenter it. The POP3 server is the same as the SMTP server (different ports), and it finds the POP3 server no problem and downloads mail, but when it goes to send mails, it tells me that it can't find the server (even though it just found it). Also I have tried pinging the server, and no problem there. I checked the ports - 25 for SMTP, 110 for POP3. I also verified the following settings were correct by comparing wi...

Exporting to PST
We're using Exchange 5.5 and are getting ready to move to Exchange 2003. This is a fresh install and not a migration as we're redoing our domain structure. The problem is that I cannot export from the Exchange server to a pst file using Outlook, no matter who the user is the same error always comes up "Some items could not be copied. They were either moved or deleted, or access was denied". However I can manually copy the items. I need to be able to export the users mailboxes to a pst so I can pull them back in to Exchange 2003. Any help would be appreciated. ...

Processing large files with TextFieldParser
ASP.net 3.5/SQL Server 2008 I've got a large (1.1m rows) csv file which needs parsing and sticking into sql server - the job needs doing every day and if anything the csv will get larger over time. At present I'm using a TextFieldParser to parse the csv line by line and add to the database. This fails probably 2 times in 3, if it's going to fall over it's usually at around 200,000 lines. Looking for suggestions as to how to do this robustly, on a shared server which doesn't allow bulk insert. Fair to assume the server is a factor in failure but I can't ...

How do I change default user name for all Excel Files?
Attempting SSconsolidation ex Tools-->Options, User Info tab. You may need to do it from Word, depending on your version...which is why including your version is always helpful. ************ Anne Troy www.OfficeArticles.com "miriamfox" <miriamfox@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:0889E47B-E1C6-4F3B-B6D5-8AF5405AA92C@microsoft.com... > Attempting SSconsolidation ex ...