Mistery Window for Milly Staples MVP

There is no error message and it is impossible to describe the dialog window
I get on opening Outlook 2003, and with Outlook Express 6 (SP2) it is not
possible to reproduce it in the body of the e-mail.

There is nothing malicious in my attachment. I have Computer Associates
Antivirus and Firewall in operation, updated every morning on boot-up, so my
e-mails are probably safer than yours! Do you update yours first thing in
the morning?

If you do not want to look at the attachment maybe you could tell me where
is one supposed to get help in these circumstances?

Lets back up a second.  The only way that you can have Outlook Express 6 SP2
is if you have applied the release candidate of SP2 for Windows XP.  This is
BETA software!  While I know that Microsoft has made it available to the
public, there should be some understanding on the end-users side that beta
software should not be used on a production machine.

Can you describe what type of attachment or possible the body of the e-mail
that you are receiving.  The reason that I ask is that Symantec Corporate,
Computer Associates, Trend, .etc (just about every antivirus security
company) has decent writeups on worms and viruses.  Maybe with a little
search of one of their sites, it might be possible to see if the content is
malicious.

"annonymous@discussions.microsoft.com" <janusz@de-kulik.fsnet.co.uk> wrote
in message news:OlKim8NMEHA.644@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl...
> There is no error message and it is impossible to describe the dialog
window
> I get on opening Outlook 2003, and with Outlook Express 6 (SP2) it is not
> possible to reproduce it in the body of the e-mail.
>
> There is nothing malicious in my attachment. I have Computer Associates
> Antivirus and Firewall in operation, updated every morning on boot-up, so
my
> e-mails are probably safer than yours! Do you update yours first thing in
> the morning?
>
> If you do not want to look at the attachment maybe you could tell me where
> is one supposed to get help in these circumstances?

0
neoheart (690)
5/3/2004 12:45:09 PM
Many thanks for trying to be helpful!

I  check for Windows and Office Updates every week and download and install
any that are recommended as Critical by Microsoft! They know better than I
what is good for my OS (which is XP Pro with Office 2003 Pro. and Outlook
Express 6.

But I get the impression that you are barking (very helpfully) on a wrong
tree. If you will look up my original posting on 2nd May at 17.51hrs. you
will see what I mean.

it's a lot easier for you to describe the problem again than for us to look for a post made by annonymous@discussions.microsoft.com on a specific date - there are just too, too many posts made each day using the anonymous address...

"annonymous@discussions.microsoft.com" wrote:

> But I get the impression that you are barking (very helpfully) on a wrong
> tree. If you will look up my original posting on 2nd May at 17.51hrs. you
> will see what I mean.

0
info2937 (567)
5/4/2004 12:00:01 AM
Sorry about the rant and thanks for bringing back into line. :)

If its the one I'm thinking about with the Word attachment and is a screen
shot of the LDAP error... go into your account settings and remove the ldap
address book for Active Directory.  (Tools | Email accounts | View/Change
address book.)

"annonymous@discussions.microsoft.com" <janusz@de-kulik.fsnet.co.uk> wrote
in message news:O%232KBFRMEHA.3216@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl...
> Many thanks for trying to be helpful!
>
> I  check for Windows and Office Updates every week and download and
install
> any that are recommended as Critical by Microsoft! They know better than I
> what is good for my OS (which is XP Pro with Office 2003 Pro. and Outlook
> Express 6.
>
> But I get the impression that you are barking (very helpfully) on a wrong
> tree. If you will look up my original posting on 2nd May at 17.51hrs. you
> will see what I mean.
>

> "neo [mvp outlook]" <neoheart@remove-heart.mvps.org> wrote in message
> > Lets back up a second.  The only way that you can have Outlook Express 6
> SP2
> > is if you have applied the release candidate of SP2 for Windows XP.
This
> is
> > BETA software!  While I know that Microsoft has made it available to the
> > public, there should be some understanding on the end-users side that
beta
> > software should not be used on a production machine.
> >
> > Can you describe what type of attachment or possible the body of the
> e-mail
> > that you are receiving.  The reason that I ask is that Symantec
Corporate,
> > Computer Associates, Trend, .etc (just about every antivirus security
> > company) has decent writeups on worms and viruses.  Maybe with a little
> > search of one of their sites, it might be possible to see if the content
> is
> > malicious.
> >

> > "annonymous@discussions.microsoft.com" <janusz@de-kulik.fsnet.co.uk>
wrote
> > in message news:OlKim8NMEHA.644@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl...
> > > There is no error message and it is impossible to describe the dialog
> > window
> > > I get on opening Outlook 2003, and with Outlook Express 6 (SP2) it is
> not
> > > possible to reproduce it in the body of the e-mail.
> > >
> > > There is nothing malicious in my attachment. I have Computer
Associates
> > > Antivirus and Firewall in operation, updated every morning on boot-up,
> so
> > my
> > > e-mails are probably safer than yours! Do you update yours first thing
> in
> > > the morning?
> > >
> > > If you do not want to look at the attachment maybe you could tell me
> where
> > > is one supposed to get help in these circumstances?

0
neoheart (690)

Windows address book
I use a Canon printer/fax. If I use a program to "print to fax" it opens a window that looks like this: http://i47.tinypic.com/w21xs1.jpg and when I select add to address book it opens this window: http://i49.tinypic.com/123mvlk.jpg This is not what is listed when I run wab.exe from my outlook folder but I can't find another file that has wab. The problem is that the Canon version will not let me do anything except add a number to the address book. I can not edit any of the entries. When I change to outlook express folder and run wab.exe the directory is differen...

Sorting and Grouping Window has stopped popping up
Access sort and group option has stopped working for some reason. Re-installed Access, no help. Any ideas? I have to build a new report, using the report wizard, to access the grouping and sorting options. It's quite a handicap. sdcasch, When you say has stopped popping up, there is a button on the Menu Bar that will hide/unhide that dialog... Has that stopped working? -- Gina Whipp "I feel I have been denied critical, need to know, information!" - Tremors II http://www.regina-whipp.com/index_files/TipList.htm "sdcasch" <sdcasch@disc...

Windows 7
Not sure if this is the correct forum to post this question ... What is the latest windows update agent version supported for Windows 7 - 32 bit and 64 bit operating systems. The version installed on our Windows 7 systems appears to be 7.3.7600.16385. All of our other operating systems are running 7.4.7600.226. Not sure if I can run this version with Windows 7 or not... Are you (still) running Win7 Beta or RC? How do I reset Windows Update components? [Ignore the APPLIES TO section if Win7; Access KB971058 via IE8 32-bit only; Run the Fix It in DEFAULT and AGGRESSIV...

Windows mail won't send--plus forced to enter a user name/password
I seem to be having the same problem that many others are having. This is the error that I now get when I enter what I believe to be the correct user name and password Account: 'pop3.frontiernet.net', Server: 'pop3.frontiernet.net', Protocol: POP3, Server Response: '-ERR invalid command', Port: 110, Secure(SSL): No, Server Error: 0x800CCC90, Error Number: 0x800CCC91 I've never had to enter this for our windows mail. It just started today and because of this, I'm not receiving mail or able to send mail. It was wording up until at least 7:3...

NG for Windows Mail?
Is there a newsgroup for "Windows Mail" ? Michael microsoft.public.windows.vista.mail "Michael Moser" <michael.nospam.moser@nospam.freesurf.ch> wrote in message news:6CFD2FBE-3D7A-4835-9617-399A2587CE9B@microsoft.com... > Is there a newsgroup for "Windows Mail" ? > > Michael > > ...

Mistery !!!
Guys, I know you like such misteries like my problem is. :) I'm writing code to delete all files which ends with ".temp" in choosen folder. Well, somethimes it works and somethimes it don't. :( It works in this case: void main() { const char * file = "C:\\Test\\*.temp"; SHFILEOPSTRUCT shFileOp; ZeroMemory(&shFileOp, sizeof(SHFILEOPSTRUCT)); shFileOp.hwnd = NULL; shFileOp.wFunc = FO_DELETE; shFileOp.pFrom = file; shFileOp.pTo = NULL; //shFileOp.fFlags = FOF_NOCONFIRMATION | FOF_NOERRORUI | FOF_SILENT; SHFileOperation(&shFileOp); AfxMe...

Non English fonts (Greek) not working in Windows XP SP3
I had a collection of Greek fonts which used to work fine with other versions of Windows (Windows 98). Recently I found the CD on which there were saved and tried to play these Greek fonts on Windows XP SP3, but they were not recognised. I tried them both in Windows English and Greek versions. What could be wrong? Thank you, Paul ...

Constant Popping Up of Windows Live Mail
My Windows Live Mail pops up on my screen about every 15 to 30 seconds. Have tried signing out also man other things. Any help would be much appreciated to either stop popups or to delete all together. You could delete it altogether if you don't use it. Which mail client program do you use? --=20 Gary VanderMolen, Microsoft MVP (Mail) Microsoft MVP program: http://mvp.support.microsoft.com "Zancherito" <Zancherito@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message = news:995B1E2D-D99D-466F-8593-4C7EA410E4BD@microsoft.com... > My Windows Live Mail pops up on m...

Scanning opens tender window
Hi, Have you ever encoutered following issue. After upgrading system from version 1.3 to 2.0 there is one problem with some POSes. After scanning good it is not added to list in main window but program works like f12 was pressed and tender window appear. Could you please advice how i may solve this problem? Thank you in advance. Regards, Hi Adam, It is probably your ILC itself that is triggering the calling of the F12. Your scanner is probably set to carriage return, right? What is one of your actual ILC that prompts for the tender screen? -- Jocelyn &quo...

insert a link/shortcut to a file on comuter in a contact window
I am trying to add a link or shortcut to a file on my computer in a contact window, in the lower window of the contact When I drag a file in that box it actualy creats a copy in a certain folder in Microsoft, but then its hard to find the file I want to Insert only a Link or shrtcut to the file. Can anyone have an idea? pl;ace your cursor in the white window of the Contact. Then Insert | File, single click the file you want and use the tiny drop down arrow, bottom right corner to select: Insert as Hyperlink. "Jacob" <info@kohn.ca> wrote in message news:O5g%23hYD2G...

How do I logon on to Windows
I have an MFC application running on a Novell Client WIN2000 machine. If I try to access a file path on a Windows 2000 server using Windows Explorer I get a dialog asking for a UserID and Password. How can I ask the user of this application to provide this information so I can access the file from the application. When I try to access the file from the application now, no dialog is displayed, I just get an error code back from the routine I called. Thanks Tom G. Take a look at the WNetAddConnection(), WNetAddConnection2() or WNetAddConnection3() API's. -- Cheers Check Abdoul [VC++...

Windows XP logon fails
I have just done a clean install of a plagued Widows XP laptop at a remote location. After creating VPN connection and confirming logon I set the pc to domain instead of workgroup. Now it won't let me login to domain while I am remote saying there is no connection. Obviously I can't start VPN till I get to desktop. What am I missing here? I had this working before I wiped the system and reinstalled XP. Thanks for any help. NT-based versions of windows from 2000 on, including XP, will cache credentials by default once you've logged on successfully once. You can log...

Window 7 won't let me see images on external drive
After a disastrous 3 attempts at trying to upgraded 64-bit Vista to 64-bit Windows 7, I finally have a working system after a clean installation of Windows 7. In the interim between upgrade attempts, I used Vista for 3 weeks, installing and using programs. I have an external hard drive just full of things acquired or created with Windows XP programs. Windows 7 will not show thumbnails of some .jpg and .png files; won't show previews, won't let me open them in Paint Shop Pro. Says I don't have permission to access the files; security tab in properties says can't ...

Can Outlook 2003 use MSN Messenger INSTEAD of Windows Messenger?
I didn't get an answer to this question last week so I'm re-posting... I recently purchased a new computer (Windows XP Home Edition w/SP2) and loaded up all of the available updates to the OS, Internet Explorer, etc. Next, I installed Office 2003 Professional. I disabled Messenger integration with Outlook 2003 as discussed in other posts here. Next I installed MSN Messenger 6.2 and it seemed to run properly as a stand-alone application. So I re-enabled Messenger integration on Outlook 2003. The next time I booted up and ran Outlook, the Messenger icon appeared in the taskbar...

upgrading window vista 32 bit in windows vista ultimate or window
sir , i have hp pavilian note book 6502au and in this i got window vista home premimum 32 bit for operating system now i like to upgrade it in windows vista ultimate or windows 7. please what upgrading options i can have ? and what i have to pay for it ? what will paymeant mode ? where i can upgrade it ? shashi kant wrote: > sir , i have hp pavilian note book 6502au and in this i got window > vista home premimum 32 bit for operating system now i like to > upgrade it in windows vista ultimate or windows 7. please what > upgrading options i can have ? and what i have to...

bootcamp windows media player problem..
hi, i'm using bootcamp to run windows on a macbook pro.. when i stream music videos from the net through windows media player it plays the audio perfectly but the video appears with only bright yellow, green and orange colors in it.. it also happens with a few mpeg videos i have.. is it something to do with the drivers? is there anything i can do to fix it? all help appreciated, thanks.. Hi Nick: First place I would look is memory, the second place I would look is processor availability. Decoding MPEG4 is quite a tough job for a computer: it needs memory and horsepower. If you hav...

Migrating an mfc application from windows 2000 to Windows 2003
Hi, I am developing a tool in C# for the Project "Migrating an mfc application from windows 2000 to Windows 2003" in which if you are giving your application developed in windows 2000 as input then it will scan through the code in your application and find out the functions which are changed (parameter changes or deprecated) for the windows 2003 and list those functions. For that I would like to know the list of mfc function's that have obsolete and also changed in Windows 2003(but present in Windows 2000). Could you please furnish Additional URL's for our reference....

Windows Doesn't Recognize Media Correctly
I have a situation where a Windows XP SP3 machine will not correctly recognize or rather, correctly acknowledge that media has been inserted. When I say 'burn' or talk about writing to a CD, I'm using the built-in burning features/capabilities of Windows XP, not a third party application/tool. If I boot the machine without a CD in it and check My Computer, the CD drive icon looks like a normal drive without any media inserted. If I insert a blank cd-r/rw, the drive icon doesn't change, and when I attempt to burn, Windows believes the drive is empty. Although t...

DPM 2007 SP1: Windows Server 2008 R2: Could not connect to SQL Server Reporting Server because of IIS Connectivity issues
Hi, I'm experiencing "Could not connect to SQL Server Reporting Server because of IIS Connectivity issues" and checked the wildcard script mappong permission for ISAPI Extentions in IIS 7: http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb795696.aspx Actually in my Windows Server 2008 R2 this was already ok But still it does not work. Did anybody get this to run? Thanks, Adrian Adrian Miller ...

Multiple windows
I have opened a workbook in multiple windows (to view side by side) but would now like to close the additional windows. How can I revert back to just one window? Select the window you don't want to see. hit ctrl-w to close it. Pete wrote: > > I have opened a workbook in multiple windows (to view side by side) but > would now like to close the additional windows. How can I revert back to > just one window? -- Dave Peterson ...

About Windows 7
Hello, I don't see "Windows 7" forum ? I wan't to get the "Windows XP-Mode" file 64bits (.exe). The download is ok from the MS web site (466 Mb), but when I launch it to install it, always I have "File damaged" message ... Is there another location to get it ? I have tried on several PCs. It's ok with the 32 bits version ... Thanks for any help Windows 7 forums are here, http://social.answers.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/category/windows7 Albertoh wrote: > Hello, > I don't see "Windows 7" forum ? > I wan't...

Problem setting focus to dialog from main window
Hi All; i'm working on an application that has been around for a while. in fact it was created in C and later converted to C++. i have to set focus to a specific dialog that is displayed and i'm not sure how to go about it. here is what happens. we have a main application with a graphics overlay class that displayes user defined points. when you right click on the overlay it allows you to enter a new point. this overlay class uses COM to access a dataserver that then calls the user point editor and the new point dialog. the new point dialog isinstantiated as part of the user ...

Excel 2003 Slow Function Argument Window
I've just installed Excel 2003 at home. When I select a function in the Insert Function dialog, it takes FOREVER for the Function Arguments window to appear. The Arguments windows is animated to appear to pop up from under the formula bar. I can count the seconds watching the animation of the box appearing, and it's so annoying. In Excel 2000 I could have already completed entering the arguements by the time the window comes up. None of the other menus appear to be slow. I've tried looking for a way to turn off menu animations both in Excel and Windows in general and nothing seems...

Messages misteriously disappeared
Hello, Two users from same mailbox server complains that messages before a certain date no longer exists on their mailboxes. I thought that could be a user mistake, but since that happened for both users I am kind of curious. This is Exch2000 SP3, Outlook 2002. I look into the user mailbox size on Systems Manager, and it appears that mailbox contains a pretty good size. However messages are really not visible from the client side. Besides restoring the messages from data backup, is there any action that I should take or preventive actions to avoid this type of problem ? It sounds like Aut...

How to kill a Windows App of which I have only the exe binary program?
I have a 3rd party Windows App exe. I start the App within my Main App using CreateProcess. However I am using TerminateProcess and it doesn't seem to properly kill the Windows App. I have read that TerminateProcess is not so clean and that other Windows Programmers use the WM_CLOSE message. How can I use WM_CLOSE if I don't control the guts of this 3rd party Windows App exe ? This Windows App exe uses sockets to network to another platform and I have no control over any objects it may create such as files, mutexes, etc. I am using Windows XP and VC++.Net any help is appreciated. T...