Migrate PST file

re: Outlook 2003

I realize the topic has probably been covered ad nausium but I still can't
find out how to solve this problem.  Any help that can be given would be
greatly appreciated.  I have just bought a new computer (Vista) I installed
Office 2003.  I chose File/Open/Outlook Data File and pointed to the pst
file that was on the old computer.  Outlook imported everything into a
separate "Personal Folders" list.  I want the information all in the main
Personal Folders.  How do I do this?  Also because I've been transferring
the old pst folder to the new computer I now have 3 pst files on the new
computer.  Will this confuse Outlook?  I'm not even sure which is the folder
that Outlook is currently using (maybe all of them?).

Specific help needed please.

Thanks... Bob

0
bobnewman1 (115)

Instead of importing, try File > Open and browse to the specific PST. That
should do exactly what you're trying to accomplish.

--
Kathleen Orland - MVP Outlook
http://www.howto-outlook.com/

"Bob Newman" wrote:

> re: Outlook 2003
>
> I realize the topic has probably been covered ad nausium but I still can't
> find out how to solve this problem.  Any help that can be given would be
> greatly appreciated.  I have just bought a new computer (Vista) I installed
> Office 2003.  I chose File/Open/Outlook Data File and pointed to the pst
> file that was on the old computer.  Outlook imported everything into a
> separate "Personal Folders" list.  I want the information all in the main
> Personal Folders.  How do I do this?  Also because I've been transferring
> the old pst folder to the new computer I now have 3 pst files on the new
> computer.  Will this confuse Outlook?  I'm not even sure which is the folder
> that Outlook is currently using (maybe all of them?).
>
> Specific help needed please.
>
> Thanks... Bob

0
KOrland1 (1012)
10/10/2007 1:10:02 PM
When you chose File>Open, OL didnt 'import' anything it simply opened the
old data file, as a seperate Personal Folders group.
Simply copy data from this data file to your main 'default' data file -
either copy data or drag and drop

When finished, close this old data file.
Though if this data file is located on your new PC you can keep it open.
OL can have multiple pst's open. Just ensure when transfering pst's you dont
overwrite any existing ones, perhaps locate them in My Documents
By default OL stores its data files in the \Documents &
Settings\username\..............grouping. You can store them elsewhere if
you wish.

"Bob Newman" <bobnewman@cox.net> wrote in message
> re: Outlook 2003
>
> I realize the topic has probably been covered ad nausium but I still can't
> find out how to solve this problem.  Any help that can be given would be
> greatly appreciated.  I have just bought a new computer (Vista) I
> installed Office 2003.  I chose File/Open/Outlook Data File and pointed to
> the pst file that was on the old computer.  Outlook imported everything
> into a separate "Personal Folders" list.  I want the information all in
> the main Personal Folders.  How do I do this?  Also because I've been
> transferring the old pst folder to the new computer I now have 3 pst files
> on the new computer.  Will this confuse Outlook?  I'm not even sure which
> is the folder that Outlook is currently using (maybe all of them?).
>
> Specific help needed please.
>
> Thanks... Bob

0
DL
10/10/2007 1:41:51 PM
Bob Newman <bobnewman@cox.net> wrote:

> I realize the topic has probably been covered ad nausium but I still
> can't find out how to solve this problem.  Any help that can be given
> would be greatly appreciated.  I have just bought a new computer
> (Vista) I installed Office 2003.  I chose File/Open/Outlook Data File
> and pointed to the pst file that was on the old computer.  Outlook
> imported everything into a separate "Personal Folders" list.

No, it didn't.  It didn't import anything.  It opened the PST in the mail
profile and gave you access to the exact data the old PC used.

> I want
> the information all in the main Personal Folders.  How do I do this?

Two ways: the easiest is to click Tools>E-mail Accounts>Next and change the
"Deliver new e-mail to the following location" drop-down at the lower left
to point to the old PST that you just opened.  Close and restart Outlook and
those folders will be your default folders just like they were before.  You
can then right-click and choose Close on the PST Outlook created when you
installed it, since it probably contains nothing.  The other thing you can
do is to open each older in the added PST, select everything in the folder
with CTRL-A, and drag the selection to the proper folder in your existing
PST (or click Edit>Copy (or Move) to Folder, specifying the appropriate
default folder as the destination.  I'd choose the former of the two methods
(i.e., reuse the old PST).
--
Brian Tillman [MVP-Outlook]

0
tillman1952 (16053)
10/10/2007 6:13:35 PM
Can I get the old data to import into the new pst?  It's all goofed up now.
I've got duplicate folders & mail going every which way.  Can I just delete
the duplicate pst files, take my backup pst from the old computer and copy
it and overwrite the one that the new install of Outlook created?  Wouldn't
that solve the whole problem?

Bob

"DL" <address@invalid> wrote in message
> When you chose File>Open, OL didnt 'import' anything it simply opened the
> old data file, as a seperate Personal Folders group.
> Simply copy data from this data file to your main 'default' data file -
> either copy data or drag and drop
>
> When finished, close this old data file.
> Though if this data file is located on your new PC you can keep it open.
> OL can have multiple pst's open. Just ensure when transfering pst's you
> dont overwrite any existing ones, perhaps locate them in My Documents
> By default OL stores its data files in the \Documents &
> Settings\username\..............grouping. You can store them elsewhere if
> you wish.
>
> "Bob Newman" <bobnewman@cox.net> wrote in message
>> re: Outlook 2003
>>
>> I realize the topic has probably been covered ad nausium but I still
>> can't find out how to solve this problem.  Any help that can be given
>> would be greatly appreciated.  I have just bought a new computer (Vista)
>> I installed Office 2003.  I chose File/Open/Outlook Data File and pointed
>> to the pst file that was on the old computer.  Outlook imported
>> everything into a separate "Personal Folders" list.  I want the
>> information all in the main Personal Folders.  How do I do this?  Also
>> because I've been transferring the old pst folder to the new computer I
>> now have 3 pst files on the new computer.  Will this confuse Outlook?
>> I'm not even sure which is the folder that Outlook is currently using
>> (maybe all of them?).
>>
>> Specific help needed please.
>>
>> Thanks... Bob

0
bobnewman1 (115)
10/10/2007 6:35:36 PM
If you check these ng's you will see that niether Import or Export is the
way to deal with the OL data file (when its to be used as a pst)
Both methods lose data & settings

Are you *sure* you have duplicate folders and not simply several Personal
Folders open - if you do the default folder layout will be repeated in each?
ie if you have 2 personal folders you will have 2 inboxes etc
Mail will only be delivered to the default (active store) personal folders
inbox

If you check the properties of the Personal Folder it will give you the path
to the pst, you can also rename it appropriately, eg OldPc

> Can I get the old data to import into the new pst?  It's all goofed up
> now. I've got duplicate folders & mail going every which way.  Can I just
> delete the duplicate pst files, take my backup pst from the old computer
> and copy it and overwrite the one that the new install of Outlook created?
> Wouldn't that solve the whole problem?
>
> Bob
>
> "DL" <address@invalid> wrote in message
>> When you chose File>Open, OL didnt 'import' anything it simply opened the
>> old data file, as a seperate Personal Folders group.
>> Simply copy data from this data file to your main 'default' data file -
>> either copy data or drag and drop
>>
>> When finished, close this old data file.
>> Though if this data file is located on your new PC you can keep it open.
>> OL can have multiple pst's open. Just ensure when transfering pst's you
>> dont overwrite any existing ones, perhaps locate them in My Documents
>> By default OL stores its data files in the \Documents &
>> Settings\username\..............grouping. You can store them elsewhere if
>> you wish.
>>
>> "Bob Newman" <bobnewman@cox.net> wrote in message
>>> re: Outlook 2003
>>>
>>> I realize the topic has probably been covered ad nausium but I still
>>> can't find out how to solve this problem.  Any help that can be given
>>> would be greatly appreciated.  I have just bought a new computer (Vista)
>>> I installed Office 2003.  I chose File/Open/Outlook Data File and
>>> pointed to the pst file that was on the old computer.  Outlook imported
>>> everything into a separate "Personal Folders" list.  I want the
>>> information all in the main Personal Folders.  How do I do this?  Also
>>> because I've been transferring the old pst folder to the new computer I
>>> now have 3 pst files on the new computer.  Will this confuse Outlook?
>>> I'm not even sure which is the folder that Outlook is currently using
>>> (maybe all of them?).
>>>
>>> Specific help needed please.
>>>
>>> Thanks... Bob

0
DL
10/10/2007 7:01:41 PM
Bob Newman <bobnewman@cox.net> wrote:

> Can
> I just delete the duplicate pst files, take my backup pst from the
> old computer and copy it and overwrite the one that the new install
> of Outlook created?  Wouldn't that solve the whole problem?

it would corrupt your mail profile and cause even more.  Never overwrite a
PST if its part of a mail profile.  One of Personal Folders file sets you
have will have the "Outlook Today" icon (clock, house, paper) to its left.
The other(s) will have a simple folder stack icon.  Right click each that
have the folder stack icon and choose Close or, if one of those folder sets
actually contains the data you want to be in your default folders, make that
folder set your delivery location in the "Deliver new e-mail to the
following location" drop-down at the lower left of Tools>E-mail
Accounts>Next.  You have to stop and restart Outlook after making this
designation.  You can then close any of the folder sets you don't want as
I've already described.
--
Brian Tillman [MVP-Outlook]

0
tillman1952 (16053)

"Sorry, you have to configure an offline folder file first"
Hi, I have Exchange 5.5 and Outlook 2000. I'm getting this message "Sorry, you have to configure an offline folder file first" poped up every 2 seconds. I do have Palm installed on my PC. Please help..... Thanks Do you need an offline file? Palm has nothing to do with this, note. If you don't need to work offline with an OST file, go to tools, services, find the properties of the Exchange server service, advanced tab, and you should be able to disable offline use. San wrote: > Hi, > > I have Exchange 5.5 and Outlook 2000. I'm getting this > message &quo...

migrate
How migrate server exchange 5.5 to another exchange server 5.5 with another site and organisation ...

Outlook 2003 keeps corrupting my PST
I have used Outlook for years now, but not until 2003 have I been ready to throw it out the window. My experience has been: 1) OL constantly gets locked up forcing me to kill the process - it often pegs the processor at 100% 2) OL constantly corrupts the PST - I often have to use SCAN PST 4-5 times a day. Corruptions do not always follow lock-up, but often do. 3) I constantly get messages saying OL is low on resources and then it will not allow an operation such as saving the email (so I can restart and complete), or send 4) OL has trouble exporting to other files, moving messages to f...

PST file for OL2K vs OL2003
I have OL 2k running on my old PC and OL2003 on the new PC. Can I place a copy of OL2000's "outlook.pst" in the folder of my new OL 2003? Are the ..pst files compatible? Thanks, Mark Flynn Outlook 2003 can read .pst files from earlieer versions, but the reverse = is not true. Open the old file with the File | OPen | Outlook Data File = command.=20 --=20 Sue Mosher, Outlook MVP Author of Configuring Microsoft Outlook 2003 http://www.turtleflock.com/olconfig/index.htm and Microsoft Outlook Programming - Jumpstart for=20 Administrators, Power Users, and Develo...

transfer excel file to text file format
HI, I would like to find out how to transfer an excel file to a text file format where each field is separated by a delimiter TQ -- tllcll ------------------------------------------------------------------------ tllcll's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=36424 View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=561944 File|SaveAs And choose Comma Separated Values. Excel will use the separator that windows uses (under the regional settings applet under the control panel). tllcll wrote: > > HI, > > I would like to...

rules not migrated when migration to Exchange 2000

Migration to full 2003 exch and domain with badly named Directory
Hi I have an NT4 domain with Exch 5.5 on a BDC. The BDC is named in the format AA_BB, where the "_" character is not allowed under 2003. I understand how to rename the serveron the domain only, before upgrading the domain, but from the exchange point of view what do I do. do I have to exmerge everything and then exmerge back into a full exch 2003 fresh install do I create a new exch 2003 server on a different machine but same site as 5.5 and use the move mailbox util Ideally there would a utility I could run on the 5.5 server to rename the relevant properites prior to a...

Acc2007, Vista and MDE files
I have encountered a very peculiar set of errors that occur in a weird way. I hope someone can shed some light on this situation. Here are the facts: THE ERROR: function error on queries which include basic vba functions such as right, mid, etc. I tested with a simple query using a right() function in a user-defined field. No problem in mdb, error in mde. * The error only occurs when THE MDE FORM of the database is executed. The same database in mdb form does not throw any errors. Not only does it not throw any errors from the mdb format, the functions work properly. Because these errors occ...

Problem to import folders from old .PST files to Outlook 2003
Have upgraded from Outlook 2002 to Outlook 2003. I had several Personal Maps (One Map containing the E-Mail for each previous years, like Outlook2003, Outlook2002, etc.). When I try to import the old .pst Personal Maps to my new Outlook 2004 Personal Map (with the new format), the folders inside each of the Map are not visible, and I am not able to import any data at all. Is it possible to create several Personal Maps in Outlook 2004, and how to I create a new one? What do you mean by Personal Maps? Assuming you are talking about Personal Folders (PST files) they are perfectly compati...

How to delete an (imported) .ics file
Does anyone know? Thank you in advance for any hints, tips and advice you may have. Daniel Is it a separate calendar? Tools, Account settings, Internet Calendars tab and Delete it. If you imported it into your calendar, use a table view (like By Category) and delete the events. -- Diane Poremsky [MVP - Outlook] Outlook Tips: http://www.outlook-tips.net/ Outlook & Exchange Solutions Center: http://www.slipstick.com/ Outlook Tips by email: mailto:dailytips-subscribe-request@lists.outlooktips.net EMO - a weekly newsletter about Outlook and Exchange: mailto:EMO-NEWS...

Groupwise to Exchange Migration
I migrated my Groupwise account as a preliminary test, deleted all of the individual emails in the mailbox, and then started the migration for all users. During the migration (the 2nd time), all of my older emails did not migrate the 2nd time, although they did migrate the first time. Is there anything that I can do, or that needs to be done, to allow all of my past emails to be migrated again? -- Richard Perry Systems Administrator/Programmer Shadow Mountain Ministries San Diego Christian College Southern California Seminary Christian Unified Schools of San Diego ...

Migration tool crashes when migrating from Lotus
I'm having problems with the migration tool when migrating some users. What happens is that once it starts up, the tool crashes with no error codes and the domino server crashes as well. I'm running exchange 2003 and domino 6 on win2k and I'm migrating it all on the same box. I know it says not to but I've already killed a test server because of this and don't have another one handy. As I said, I can migrate the majority of users fine, but for some reason it does not like these users. If anyone has any suggestions or has come across something like this it would...

Delete large table in chunks to minimise log file growth
Helo All, I am deleting a large table in chunks to: 1) Avoid locking issues 2) Restrict log file growth Algorithm init_size = current size of transaction log while TRUE delete X records matching criteria current_size = current size of log If no records deleted then exit while if current_size - init_size > Y MB shrink log file end while I tried it with X = 200 and Y = 50. In practice, I would not try to restrict log growth to 50 MB. I just needed to see what was going on. I shrink the log file using the procedure at http://blo...

Exch 5.5 to 2003 ADMT \ ADC migration order question
Hi guys. I've been reading posts and performing tests in the run up to a Exchange 5.5 to 2003 intra-org migration. In everyone's opinion, which is the best order -> ADC (not enabled) -> ADMT to create new AD account (run in batches) -> ADClean to marry disabled place holder and new account (run in batches) -> movemailbox ( in batches as part of rolling migration) The above seems to have issues with no self rights so if you remove SIDhistory after the migration is done, wont the systems permission go bang as it's masking the lack of self rights? OR....... -&g...

PUB file crashes Publisher on open
I have a publisher file that crashes MS Publisher on open, even tried some recovery programs and they crashed. Is it a lost cause? How to troubleshoot a damaged publication in Publisher http://support.microsoft.com/kb/198256/en-us -- Mary Sauer MSFT MVP http://office.microsoft.com/ http://msauer.mvps.org/ news://msnews.microsoft.com http://officebeta.iponet.net/en-us/publisher/FX100649111033.aspx <dmahlitz@gmail.com> wrote in message news:1161174335.508250.183640@m73g2000cwd.googlegroups.com... >I have a publisher file that crashes MS Publisher on open, even tried > some rec...

Missing nk2 file in Outlook 2007
The auto complete function does not work after shutting down and restarting. The file does not exist in docs and settings/application data/ microsoft/outlook. What can I do? Is autocomplete enabled? Look in tools, options, email options, advanced... near the bottom of the dialog is the Suggest names option. It should be checked. Is outlook closing properly? Does it remember any names when you send to someone multiple times during one session? The file is not saved until outlook closes and if it doesn't close properly, its not saved. Addresses you've sent to once d...

Moving outlook.pst to another drive. (ol 2000)
Is there some setting to cjange the location of the outlook.pst file ? Like in OE where the message store can be changed. You simply move the pst and when OL opens point it(Browse) to the pst file. When moving pst ensure it doesnt change to read only.( by turning read only flag off if it does) David "Sagaert Johan" <REMOVEsagaert_jREMOVE@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:eo64C8bXDHA.1900@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl... > Is there some setting to cjange the location of the outlook.pst file ? > > Like in OE where the message store can be changed. > > > ...

outlook.pst file corrupted
I was just updating my computer with Windows 2000 SP4. The update appeared to go ok. During the update, I realized my Outlook 2000 (SP3) was still running so I decided to close it. After the update and rebooting, Outlook fails to open. It reports that it can't open the outlook.pst file. I've confirmed this with just another text editor in trying to open it and I'm getting a File Read Error. I don't know if this was due to the upgrade or some other reason, but does anyone know if there is any tool that I can use to possibly fix that .pst file. I really hate to lo...

How to keep SBS 2003 server running after migrating to SBS 2008
I've successfully migrated from SBS 2003 to SBS 2008 on a new machine. However, I have some apps running on the old server (ACT & Quickbooks) that I'd like to keep on this machine. The documentation states 'If you want to repurpose the Source Server, the simplest way is to reformat and install a new operating system'. What's the hard way? In other words, is there a way to get the machine back in a healthy state without installing a new operating system or reformatting the hard drive so I can use it to run these apps? SBS 2003 can't be used as a demo...

WLM data files
Where in the directory tree would I find the file(s) in which all of WLM's data (email folders/messages, contacts, newsgroup messages, calendar, etc.) are stored? Look in options/advanced/maintenance/store folder to find the path to where it is all stored. Art [artfudd] Folden -- "PE" wrote in message news:O_idnZXhJ6HMndLRnZ2dnUVZ_g-dnZ2d@earthlink.com... Where in the directory tree would I find the file(s) in which all of WLM's data (email folders/messages, contacts, newsgroup messages, calendar, etc.) are stored? "Art [artfudd] Folden" &...

FP2002 transfer files
Any specific procedure to transfer FP2002 files from and old computer to be used on another computer running FP2003? How to move an existing website from an old computer to a new computer (courtesy of MVP Ron Symonds) http://www.rxs-enterprises.org/fp/?fl=1052388890 -- Tom [Pepper] Willett Microsoft MVP - FrontPage Since 1997 --------------------------- "dresdenron" <dresdenron@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:C321D477-27BE-4912-A70B-2FDD029D9D4D@microsoft.com... : Any specific procedure to transfer FP2002 files from and old computer to be :...

Pst file still locked
I still can't get Outlook to start. If I try to open my Outlook.pst file the message I get is "The process cannot access the file becasue another process has locked a portion of the file". I've checked properties on the file to be sure it isn't read only, and I've rebooted the machine. No luck yet. >-----Original Message----- >I still can't get Outlook to start. If I try to open my >Outlook.pst file the message I get is "The process cannot >access the file becasue another process has locked a >portion of the file". I'v...

migrating from 5.5
We intend to go t Exchange 2003 and are looking for the best scenario. We would like to change our mailsite name. 1. Can we change the mailsite name, then build a new 2003 server in the same site and use the migration wizard? 2. Can we build an exchange 2003 server in the same site and then once in native mode rename the site? 3. Or do we have to build an exchange 2003 serverm in a different domain? ...

Excel will not open associated file when double-clicked
when you double-click an .xls file, Excel starts as expected, but the file does not open. Does anyone know why this may be occurring? Is this a flaw in the XP version? Try this Tools>Options>General uncheck "Ignore other Applications" Exit Excel and try again If this doesn't work try to re-register Excel On the Windows Taskbar Close Excel Start>Run "excel.exe /regserver"(no quotes)>OK. See the space between exe and /regserver You might have to designate a full path to excel.exe. In that case Start>Run "C:\yourpath\excel.exe /regserver"...

Connect to Excel file to import data
Hello, I have a vba code that will import the data from the excel file. I open the excel file,import it and close it. But I think I have the problem with closing it.The VBA works fine, but when I reopen the excel file from the file inself, it says something about the Read Only, Notify...... Here is my code Function ImportBidData(FileName As String) Set excel = CreateObject("excel.Application") excel.workbooks.Open (FileName) DoCmd.TransferSpreadsheet acImport, acSpreadsheetTypeExcel12, "tbl_Temp_Quote1", FileName, False, "Quote1Direct" e...