Merging .pst files

Over the last couple of years I have been working from both a desktop and a
laptop computer when travelling (both running XP but with Outlook 2007 and
2003, respectively; but I'm told that shouldn't have any impact as they use
the same type of .pst file system).  I have copied outlook,pst files from
one to another to ensure I'm always working with a current file.

However, during those years, I have not always understood how to manage that
process.  Fortunately, I've always saved the old .pst file in case I screw
something up.

Well, I have screwed something up.  My current archive.pst file has only
recent files in it.  My plan was to merge all my archived messages into the
one archive.pst file, obviously so all my archived files are in the same
place.

What is the best way to do that?  I've tested moving a folder from one .pst
file to another and it was a very slow process, about 15 minutes for a
folder with a couple of thousand messages in it.  And I have several dozen
folders, though not with that many messages in them.

I also have two mailbox.pst files.  I'm not sure what they are.  Both were
created and last modified within minutes of creation five years ago.

I've read that .pst files should never be more than 2GB.  Does that still
hold true for 2007?

Thanks in advance.

Bob

0
Bob

"Bob Griendling" <bob@griendling.com> wrote in message

> Over the last couple of years I have been working from both a desktop and a
> laptop computer when travelling (both running XP but with Outlook 2007 and
> 2003, respectively; but I'm told that shouldn't have any impact as they use
> the same type of .pst file system).  I have copied outlook,pst files from
> one to another to ensure I'm always working with a current file.
>
> However, during those years, I have not always understood how to manage that
> process.  Fortunately, I've always saved the old .pst file in case I screw
> something up.
>
> Well, I have screwed something up.  My current archive.pst file has only
> recent files in it.  My plan was to merge all my archived messages into the
> one archive.pst file, obviously so all my archived files are in the same
> place.
>
> What is the best way to do that?  I've tested moving a folder from one .pst
> file to another and it was a very slow process, about 15 minutes for a
> folder with a couple of thousand messages in it.  And I have several dozen
> folders, though not with that many messages in them.

The best way is simply to open them and drag the data from one to the other.
You can also use Import, but you'll change the data that way.

> I've read that .pst files should never be more than 2GB.  Does that still
> hold true for 2007?

The default maximum size for PSTs created by Outlook 2003 and later is 20GB,
but registry keys can increase that limit.  The actual maximum is in the
terabyte range.
--
Brian Tillman [MVP-Outlook]

0
Brian
1/29/2010 6:41:46 PM
Thanks, Brian.  But when I tried to drag a folder (~174MB) into an archives
folder (1.8GB), I get a message that tells me that it cannot move item .
"Archive folder reached its maximum size."  It then tells me I should
consider using the new Outlook personal folders (,pst) introduced with
Outlook 2003 that provides greater capacity.

The files I'm trying to move probably were created when I had Outlook 2000.
But I'm way below 20GB total.

Bob

"Brian Tillman [MVP-Outlook]" <tillman1952@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> "Bob Griendling" <bob@griendling.com> wrote in message
>
>> Over the last couple of years I have been working from both a desktop and
>> a laptop computer when travelling (both running XP but with Outlook 2007
>> and 2003, respectively; but I'm told that shouldn't have any impact as
>> they use the same type of .pst file system).  I have copied outlook,pst
>> files from one to another to ensure I'm always working with a current
>> file.
>>
>> However, during those years, I have not always understood how to manage
>> that process.  Fortunately, I've always saved the old .pst file in case I
>> screw something up.
>>
>> Well, I have screwed something up.  My current archive.pst file has only
>> recent files in it.  My plan was to merge all my archived messages into
>> the one archive.pst file, obviously so all my archived files are in the
>> same place.
>>
>> What is the best way to do that?  I've tested moving a folder from one
>> .pst file to another and it was a very slow process, about 15 minutes for
>> a folder with a couple of thousand messages in it.  And I have several
>> dozen folders, though not with that many messages in them.
>
> The best way is simply to open them and drag the data from one to the
> other. You can also use Import, but you'll change the data that way.
>
>> I've read that .pst files should never be more than 2GB.  Does that still
>> hold true for 2007?
>
> The default maximum size for PSTs created by Outlook 2003 and later is
> 20GB, but registry keys can increase that limit.  The actual maximum is in
> the terabyte range.
> --
> Brian Tillman [MVP-Outlook]

0
Bob
1/29/2010 9:49:01 PM
Hi Bob,

old PSTs (<= Outlook 2000) have a max capacity of only 2 GBytes of data.
You shouldn't go over this size limit because Outlook won't open these
PST-monsters anymore. To change the old PST-format to the new PST-format
(=> Outlook 2003) you should create an empty PST-file with the new
format and move the old mails into the new file manually (drag and
drop). Its quite a tedious job, but it works.

Carlo

Bob Griendling wrote:
> Thanks, Brian.  But when I tried to drag a folder (~174MB) into an archives
> folder (1.8GB), I get a message that tells me that it cannot move item .
> "Archive folder reached its maximum size."  It then tells me I should
> consider using the new Outlook personal folders (,pst) introduced with
> Outlook 2003 that provides greater capacity.
>
> The files I'm trying to move probably were created when I had Outlook 2000.
> But I'm way below 20GB total.
>
> Bob

0
Carlo
1/29/2010 11:51:02 PM
Thanks, Carol.  It was tedious, but it seems to have worked.

Bob

"Carlo Trentoni" <alcunaposta@invalid> wrote in message
> Hi Bob,
>
> old PSTs (<= Outlook 2000) have a max capacity of only 2 GBytes of data.
> You shouldn't go over this size limit because Outlook won't open these
> PST-monsters anymore. To change the old PST-format to the new PST-format
> (=> Outlook 2003) you should create an empty PST-file with the new format
> and move the old mails into the new file manually (drag and drop). Its
> quite a tedious job, but it works.
>
> Carlo
>
> Bob Griendling wrote:
>> Thanks, Brian.  But when I tried to drag a folder (~174MB) into an
>> archives folder (1.8GB), I get a message that tells me that it cannot
>> move item . "Archive folder reached its maximum size."  It then tells me
>> I should consider using the new Outlook personal folders (,pst)
>> introduced with Outlook 2003 that provides greater capacity.
>>
>> The files I'm trying to move probably were created when I had Outlook
>> 2000. But I'm way below 20GB total.
>>
>> Bob

0
Bob
1/30/2010 3:55:47 AM

> Thanks, Brian.  But when I tried to drag a folder (~174MB) into an archives
> folder (1.8GB), I get a message that tells me that it cannot move item .
> "Archive folder reached its maximum size."  It then tells me I should
> consider using the new Outlook personal folders (,pst) introduced with
> Outlook 2003 that provides greater capacity.

This means that your PST was created in an earlier version of Outlook and has
a 2GB limit.  You should create a new PST.  Were this my problem, I'd create
the new PST and move the data in the old one to the new one.  See this:
http://www.slipstick.com/outlook/ansi-to-unicode.asp
--
Brian Tillman [MVP-Outlook]

0
Brian

merging
Is it possible to create a document in publisher (mine is a certificate) and then merge the desired information from a select querry in access? Hi Tina (sttpreston@clyde.k12.oh.us), in the Microsoft� newsgroups you posted: || Is it possible to create a document in publisher (mine is || a certificate) and then merge the desired information from || a select querry in access? Yes, you can. Which version of Publisher and Windows are you using? -- Brian Kvalheim Microsoft Office Publisher MVP Official Publisher MVP Site: http://www.kvalheim.org This posting is provided "AS IS" wit...

Outlook 2003 PRF File
Hi, Does anyone know if it is possible to set-up multiple profiles in a PRF files. We have a document management product that required a second profile in order to interact and so when Outlook is started we would like it to set-up the user profile and this additional profile, so 2 profiles. I know that you can set-up multiple services but we would like to have multiple profiles. Thanks, -- Jonathan Thomas Hampshire County Council Each PRF file can set up only one profile, and Outlook can process only one PRF file per Outlook session. Therefore, you can do this, but it will require ...

.wav file issue
Greetings all: I created a small PowerPoint 2007 .pps file and in it is a 17mb .wav file. My intent is to attach the file to an email and send it to someone. I published the .pps to a folder then sent a test email to a 3rd party system, attaching the .pps file that then resided in the created folder. The works fine on my system, but does not play in the test system. I've received scores of .pps files in emails and sound plays. What am I missing? Thank you. "pinger" <pinger@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:33009843-0AF8-436E-988A-9D...

Message Tracking log file
Why are the client-ip and Client-hostname fields blank or contain the Exchange server IP/host name instead of the client information? I have 3 exchange servers, and they all are like that. I am trying to find out whether a message was generated by or user or a virus. Thanks If you're using MAPI, you're not sending SMTP from the client. If you want those populated I'd think you'd have to switch to the less functional IMAP and send via SMTP. -- Ed Crowley MVP - Exchange "Protecting the world from PSTs and brick backups!" "PE" <PE@discussions.micro...

Merge same transaction
I've had transactions that I've placed in my register with detailed info in the memo area only to have the same exact transaction download with no info and unrecognized as the same transaction. Traditionally I've copied and pasted the info into the downloaded transaction and then deleted my transaction. This is a real PAIN... Is there a way to tell Money that these two separate transactions are the SAME transaction and then have it merge them? It works exactly as intended when Money recognizes the transaction that's already in the register and then merges them beautiful...

Some JPG files cannot be open after Security Update for Outlook.
Just recently some of the users cannot open some JPG files. After some testing when file was saved through Outlook the size increased by ~30 KB and Windows Picture and Fax Viewer wasn't able to open the file. When files was saved through OWA Windows Picture and Fax Viewer could open the file fine. Tried to disable antivirus on outlook, server and nothing helped. Eventually uninstalling "Security Update for Microsoft Office Outlook 2003 (KB945432)" fixed the problem. Since then if the file is saved through Outlook it opens fine. Anybody experiencing this problem as well? Is there...

Opening a pst file with Outlook...
I sent home my contacts from outlook at work to my home here. The file is contacts.pst which is 761 KB. I went to outlook and clicked "file" "open" then "open data file" but my contacts are not showing. It brings me to a blank page. Does anyone know or have any idea where the contacts may have gone. I need these fiels ASAP as I am now working from home. If you can help please respond or call my cell at 630.532.1773 It would be greatly appreciated. Thanks, Shaun How did you create this PST? It's too small to contain much data. If you opened it and they...

Closing Outlook in a .bat file...?
Hi, Can I force Outlook to close in a DOS .bat file so I can then invoke the backup of the .pst database in the same .bat...? Thanks... -- Susan "Tiscali" <kegler@tiscali.co.uk> wrote in message news:42d0ef53$1_3@mk-nntp-2.news.uk.tiscali.com... > Hi, > > Can I force Outlook to close in a DOS .bat file so I can then invoke the > backup of the .pst database in the same .bat...? > Yes, but two caveats: 1) The tool you use may depend on your version of Windows 2) Unless you take very special measures (keystroke pushing to answer dialogs) ...

Shared excel file dissapears
We use a shared excel 2000 xls file shared on a w2k server as a production log. we now have about 30 users with about 12 users constantly editing. As we add more users the dissapearances seem to mount up. we are at about 2 a day now. I was wondering what the max amount vs the recommended amount of simultaneous users are. Are there any known issues which would cause excel to mysteriously vanish?? thanks cr -- http://QLiner.com It has been said that democracy is the worst form of government except all the others that have been tried. - Winston Churchill ...

.csv file
I am creating a .csv file which includes bank account numbers. Some of them include zeroes at the beginning but even if I format the column as text, the zeroes keep disappearing. Is there a way to keep the zeroes at the beginning of each cell? I am on Windows XP Professional and running Excel 2003 SP2. Thanks, Katherine How are you checking for the leading 0's? Are you opening the .csv file in NotePad? Or are you reimporting the file into excel? Try opening in NotePad to check. BCK57 wrote: > > I am creating a .csv file which includes bank account numbers. Some of them ...

Pasting picture files to Excel
Whenever I paste ia jpg picture nto Excel (or Word for that matter), I get only 3 choices (bitmap, metafile (bigger than bitmap), and photoediting (bigger than both)) . My question is, is there anyway to paste in a picture to an Excel file, but keeping it compressed as a jpeg file, this way the excel file size doesn't grow by leaps and bounds? Thanks. Matt: Since Excel has the ability of editing a picture, the software has to limit its pictures to those formats that MS has editing tools to work with. That's why you can't easily set up JPG or GIF pictures as embedde...

Excel "file is already open"
Whenever I open a '.xls' workbook from outside Excel (such as from Windows Explorer), Excel indicates that the file is already open - although, once I click OK, I seem to be able to work with the file normally. The same file will open fine from within Excel. I am using Excel 97 on an XP-Home machine. Can you explain why I may be getting this message, and how I might correct for it? The FAQ at Debra Dalgleish's site might give the solution: http://www.contextures.com/xlfaqApp.html#AlreadyOpen John McFadden wrote: > > Whenever I open a '.xls' workbook from ...

Outlook 2010
In Outlook 2003 I had one .pst file with all contacts inside, but used 3 email accounts with no automatic rules for mail delivery. I manually put the emails down in it's respective archive.pst files and want it done this way. In Outlook 2010 when using several email accounts, it's automatically established one .pst file for each email account where the respective email drops into. Is there a way to have it all into one "Personal Folder" (the old way)? (I want to send emails were sender account is the only on showing as sender and not any "sent on behalf ...

Merging 2 Companies into 1
Are there any guidelines or outline for what tables you need to look at to gather the various information you need in order to merge 2 companies together as well as issues to consider when undertaking such a project? It is a project and a half. I got approval from a major client yesterday to proceed with just this project. You literally need to look at all of them! I understand that MS Professional Services will do this project for you. In my case the client cannot be down and has too many 3rd party products for us to pass it off. When does your project need to be completed? -- Ri...

Mass Re-linking of Broken Excel 2000 and 2003 Files
We are moving customer files to a different server and have several individuals who have MANY linked Excel 2000 and 2003 files to other Excel files. I am getting pressure from some individuals on finding a tool to re-link moved files more easily than on a one-by-one basis when they are opened. Does anyone know of anything like this? Have a look in Help at Worbook.ChangeLink HTH -- AP "Lynn" <Lynn@discussions.microsoft.com> a �crit dans le message de news: 88648722-5AC2-4C38-8536-ED7A405F095E@microsoft.com... > We are moving customer files to a different server and...

Word mail merge

PST problems...
Hi... I have this problem with my PST file and its related to a faulty sector, i.e. an physical error in one of the sector containing the PST file. Copying the file produces an error message, and the process is halted But it seems that everything is working in Outlook. Is there a way to back up my PST file to another location from within Outlook? I run Win XP Pro and Office 2007 -- Regards Zadig Galbaras (nick) www.tresfjording.com ----- Yes, you can use the import/export wizard to move existing data between personal data files. The import/export option is under the file menu. ...

Win32 DLL def file question
Hi How can we export Win32 dll functions for dynamically LoadLibrary and GetProceeAddress ? I see VS MFC DLL project has a def file but Win32 DLL does not have one, should we add a def file to VS Win32 DLL project , how can I do that ? Thank you . This will be helpful: http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/d91k01sh(VS.80).aspx -- Ajay "Kid" <Kid@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:DBBF8564-3F78-4808-B826-A0186AB29CCC@microsoft.com... > Hi > > How can we export Win32 dll functions for dynamically LoadLibrary and > GetProceeAddress ? > &...

mail merge/merging 2 address lists...
Is there a way to merge two of your address lists in Publisher 2002? I have two address lists in my data base folder and would like all the addresses merged into one as there are some addresses different in each and some the same. Thank you. Robin Hi Robin (vicary@kconline.com.NOSPAM), in the Microsoft� newsgroups you posted: || Is there a way to merge two of your address lists in Publisher 2002? || I have two address lists in my data base folder and would like all || the addresses merged into one as there are some addresses different || in each and some the same. No, you cannot. You nee...

Can I save application as .exe file
I have created several successful Access applications in the past. I need an application that can be maintained on several different computers which may not all have MS Office installed. Can I put the complete database on a CD so different people can update the data? I guess that this means the application would have to be a .exe file and maybe use CD-RW CDs so it can be written to on different computers. Really Gone There's never been an ability to create an executable from an Access database, and I wouldn't expect there ever to be such a capability. Take a look a...

merge and compare
We have two versions of the same work sheet from differnt dates. Some of the cells have been changed in the latest version and we need to compare which cells have had changes and selectively merge the two. Is there any hope??? jimired wrote: > We have two versions of the same work sheet from differnt dates. > > Some of the cells have been changed in the latest version and we need > to compare which cells have had changes and selectively merge the two. > > Is there any hope??? Hi have a look at http://www.cpearson.com/Zips/Compare.ZIP An add-in which compares two worksh...

Merging worksheet into MS Word mail merge
I am merging a letter and an Excel worksheet. When I merge an Excel field that contains $ and commas separating the hundreds and thousands, the $ and the , do not show up in the merged letter. Any suggestions on how to solve this problem? -- Briggs Hi Instead of just referring to the cell e.g. A1 use =TEXT(A1,"[$$-409]#,##0.00") -- Regards Roger Govier "Briggs" <Briggs@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:2F326201-A50F-45E5-9767-4C189ACA5529@microsoft.com... > I am merging a letter and an Excel worksheet. When I merge an Exc...

GP Help Files
Hi everybody - we have some custom windows in GP 10, and we would like to add some custom help items under the (?) help in the top right hand corner - how can I add a menu item there that will point to my documentation? ...

How can I get bar codes w/ Excel & mail merge?
I want to send out a bulk mailing with large postcards. I want the addresses printed on the postcards via mail merge. I am using Excel, but don't see where or how to add the bar code to the address, which would save me a lot of money. Can you help? >-----Original Message----- >I want to send out a bulk mailing with large postcards. I want the addresses >printed on the postcards via mail merge. I am using Excel, but don't see >where or how to add the bar code to the address, which would save me a lot of >money. Can you help? >. > hi, I not entirely...

Checking file
I would like to check whether a file exists or not, in a MFC application. Is my following approach correct? /////////// CFileFind directory_finder; if(directory_finder.FindFile(full_filename_path) && !directory_finder.FindNextFile()) { // file exists } else { // file does not exist } /////////// Charles Tam wrote: > I would like to check whether a file exists or not... Just use GetFileAttributes(...) if INVALID_FILE_ATTRIBUTES, something is wrong. Best, Dan. -- "We need an energy policy that encourages consumption" George W. Bush. "Conservation may be ...