Merging multiple personal data files possible ?

When I viewed a friends outlook data file location list (in Outlook XP/2002 (Not: Outlook Express))
I was rather surprised:

There were up to 10 different *.pst files listed.

We decided to remove some of them resp. to merge them into one (or at most two of them).
I am not sure about the dependencies of these multiple *.pst files.

If there are more than one *.pst file in this list: Does that means that e.g. an eMail "xxxxxx"
is stored in only ONE of them or is a copy if this eMail stored in each of them?

Is there a way of merging all these *.pst files into one of them ?

Autoarchiving is enabled on this installation.

Martin

Hi Martin,

For personal users who do not have an Exchange Server, Outlook data is stored in Personal Folder files (*.pst). Outlook uses Personal Folder files to store Information such as
messages, contacts, calendar, etc.

If there are multiple .PST files on a machine, they can be merged into one file by either performing an import, or by opening both files and dragging and dropping folders and files from
one .PST file to the other.  Please understand that the older .PST files have a storage limit of 2 GB, so if you are anywhere close to this, you should leave them alone.

Always make a backup of each file before you begin so that if the worst should happen, you can always recover.

Please refer to the following Microsoft Knowledge Base (KB) articles to learn more about backing up the Outlook data and Office program settings.

Q287070 OL2002: How to Back Up, Restore, or Move Outlook Data
<http://support.microsoft.com/support/kb/articles/q287/0/70.asp>
Note: this article is also adapted to Outlook 2003.

Regards,

Scott Atkins MCSE, MCSA
Partner Technical Lead - Outlook
Microsoft Technical Support
for Platforms and Business Applications
--------------------
>From: martinca20@hotmail.com (Martin Caldwell)
>Newsgroups: microsoft.public.outlook,microsoft.public.outlook.general,microsoft.public.outlook.installation
>Subject: Merging multiple personal data files possible ?
>Date: 05 Apr 2006 08:34:33 GMT
>
>When I viewed a friends outlook data file location list (in Outlook XP/2002 (Not: Outlook Express))
>I was rather surprised:
>
>There were up to 10 different *.pst files listed.
>
>We decided to remove some of them resp. to merge them into one (or at most two of them).
>I am not sure about the dependencies of these multiple *.pst files.
>
>If there are more than one *.pst file in this list: Does that means that e.g. an eMail "xxxxxx"
>is stored in only ONE of them or is a copy if this eMail stored in each of them?
>
>Is there a way of merging all these *.pst files into one of them ?
>
>Autoarchiving is enabled on this installation.
>
>Martin

0
scatki (156)

Outlook 2003 PRF File
Hi, Does anyone know if it is possible to set-up multiple profiles in a PRF files. We have a document management product that required a second profile in order to interact and so when Outlook is started we would like it to set-up the user profile and this additional profile, so 2 profiles. I know that you can set-up multiple services but we would like to have multiple profiles. Thanks, -- Jonathan Thomas Hampshire County Council Each PRF file can set up only one profile, and Outlook can process only one PRF file per Outlook session. Therefore, you can do this, but it will require ...

merging
Is it possible to create a document in publisher (mine is a certificate) and then merge the desired information from a select querry in access? Hi Tina (sttpreston@clyde.k12.oh.us), in the Microsoft� newsgroups you posted: || Is it possible to create a document in publisher (mine is || a certificate) and then merge the desired information from || a select querry in access? Yes, you can. Which version of Publisher and Windows are you using? -- Brian Kvalheim Microsoft Office Publisher MVP Official Publisher MVP Site: http://www.kvalheim.org This posting is provided "AS IS" wit...

Merge same transaction
I've had transactions that I've placed in my register with detailed info in the memo area only to have the same exact transaction download with no info and unrecognized as the same transaction. Traditionally I've copied and pasted the info into the downloaded transaction and then deleted my transaction. This is a real PAIN... Is there a way to tell Money that these two separate transactions are the SAME transaction and then have it merge them? It works exactly as intended when Money recognizes the transaction that's already in the register and then merges them beautiful...

Multiple Excels
Hello Group Here's a really easy question for you with what's probably a really easy answer, but Excel Help is no help so I need your help. I have two Windows shortcuts to open separate Excel files. What I'd like is that they open the files in two separate instances of Excel instead of in the one instance. When I'm working with two workbooks I find it easier to switch between two applications than to flick between two open workbooks using the toolbar option. Can anybody help? Best wishes Peter Kessler Kessler Associates E: digital@kessler-web.co.uk W: http://www.digital.ke...

Some JPG files cannot be open after Security Update for Outlook.
Just recently some of the users cannot open some JPG files. After some testing when file was saved through Outlook the size increased by ~30 KB and Windows Picture and Fax Viewer wasn't able to open the file. When files was saved through OWA Windows Picture and Fax Viewer could open the file fine. Tried to disable antivirus on outlook, server and nothing helped. Eventually uninstalling "Security Update for Microsoft Office Outlook 2003 (KB945432)" fixed the problem. Since then if the file is saved through Outlook it opens fine. Anybody experiencing this problem as well? Is there...

.csv file
I am creating a .csv file which includes bank account numbers. Some of them include zeroes at the beginning but even if I format the column as text, the zeroes keep disappearing. Is there a way to keep the zeroes at the beginning of each cell? I am on Windows XP Professional and running Excel 2003 SP2. Thanks, Katherine How are you checking for the leading 0's? Are you opening the .csv file in NotePad? Or are you reimporting the file into excel? Try opening in NotePad to check. BCK57 wrote: > > I am creating a .csv file which includes bank account numbers. Some of them ...

Closing Outlook in a .bat file...?
Hi, Can I force Outlook to close in a DOS .bat file so I can then invoke the backup of the .pst database in the same .bat...? Thanks... -- Susan "Tiscali" <kegler@tiscali.co.uk> wrote in message news:42d0ef53$1_3@mk-nntp-2.news.uk.tiscali.com... > Hi, > > Can I force Outlook to close in a DOS .bat file so I can then invoke the > backup of the .pst database in the same .bat...? > Yes, but two caveats: 1) The tool you use may depend on your version of Windows 2) Unless you take very special measures (keystroke pushing to answer dialogs) ...

Trying to combine multiple records into one record in a Query
I am new to Access, and very little knowledge about SQL. I read allot about normalization, need to know if I went to far with it with my Family table. Here is the structures for the tables I have, and of the query I want to create. Contact Table: tabContactID (Autonumber) ContactID (Create using VBA in a form) (PK) FirstName LastName etc.... Example: tabContactID ContactID FirstName LastName etc.... 0001 DonDuck Donald Duck 0002 MicMouse Mickey Mouse Next the Family Table: tabFamID (Autonumber)(PK...

how to combine multiple versions of single spreadsheet?
Well, the doomsday scenario has happened - two colleagues working on the same spreadsheet fail to communicate. Each has updated a project tracking sheet at the same time so we now have two new versions. Is there a way of Excel combining the latest data out of each sheet? To clarify: Person X opens spreadsheet version A to update and creates version B Person Y opens spreadsheet version A to update and creates version C There is a lot of work entailed in updating the sheets but luckily persons X and Y have their own projects so they do not update the same information. Is there a way to c...

Can't find how to change Y-axis range to show new data in Excel Mac 12.2.4
Version: 2008 Operating System: Mac OS X 10.5 (Leopard) Processor: Intel I have a simple bar chart that I created some years ago in a previous version of Excel. I add data each month and it shows miles I drive per month over the year, very helpful to keep track of distance and gas mileage. I've extended the Y-axis range downward a few times before, but can't find out how to do it this time. I always install the latest updates from Microsoft and now I'm running Excel 2008 for Mac version 12.2.4 (100205). My Y-axis range in this chart starts at 800, but I drove only 772 miles ...

Pasting picture files to Excel
Whenever I paste ia jpg picture nto Excel (or Word for that matter), I get only 3 choices (bitmap, metafile (bigger than bitmap), and photoediting (bigger than both)) . My question is, is there anyway to paste in a picture to an Excel file, but keeping it compressed as a jpeg file, this way the excel file size doesn't grow by leaps and bounds? Thanks. Matt: Since Excel has the ability of editing a picture, the software has to limit its pictures to those formats that MS has editing tools to work with. That's why you can't easily set up JPG or GIF pictures as embedde...

How do I use 2 sets of data in a chart
both sets of data are in the same workbook, but on two different worksheets. Hi, Have read of Jon's page http://peltiertech.com/Excel/ChartsHowTo/ChartFromDiffSheets.html Cheers Andy Skeety wrote: > both sets of data are in the same workbook, but on two different worksheets. -- Andy Pope, Microsoft MVP - Excel http://www.andypope.info ...

Outlook 2010
In Outlook 2003 I had one .pst file with all contacts inside, but used 3 email accounts with no automatic rules for mail delivery. I manually put the emails down in it's respective archive.pst files and want it done this way. In Outlook 2010 when using several email accounts, it's automatically established one .pst file for each email account where the respective email drops into. Is there a way to have it all into one "Personal Folder" (the old way)? (I want to send emails were sender account is the only on showing as sender and not any "sent on behalf ...

Excel "file is already open"
Whenever I open a '.xls' workbook from outside Excel (such as from Windows Explorer), Excel indicates that the file is already open - although, once I click OK, I seem to be able to work with the file normally. The same file will open fine from within Excel. I am using Excel 97 on an XP-Home machine. Can you explain why I may be getting this message, and how I might correct for it? The FAQ at Debra Dalgleish's site might give the solution: http://www.contextures.com/xlfaqApp.html#AlreadyOpen John McFadden wrote: > > Whenever I open a '.xls' workbook from ...

Merging 2 Companies into 1
Are there any guidelines or outline for what tables you need to look at to gather the various information you need in order to merge 2 companies together as well as issues to consider when undertaking such a project? It is a project and a half. I got approval from a major client yesterday to proceed with just this project. You literally need to look at all of them! I understand that MS Professional Services will do this project for you. In my case the client cannot be down and has too many 3rd party products for us to pass it off. When does your project need to be completed? -- Ri...

Word mail merge

Opening Multiple files simultaneously
I am trying to open several excel files at once, ie. select 2 or more files, right click, then click open, but I cannot get them to open at the same time. I have to open each file separately. I can have several files open at once but they must be opened individually Hi Lothar, I am not sure of a VBA way to do this but you can certainly open multiple files when using Explorer. Just shift+click the files you require, right click and open files. Regards, Nick. >-----Original Message----- >I am trying to open several excel files at once, ie. >select 2 or more files, right cli...

Can I freeze multiple rows?
I'm working on a spreadsheet that has contact information in the farthest lefthand collumn and collumn headers at the top of the spreadsheet. Is there a way that I can freeze both of them so that I always know what I'm looking at without having to scroll all the way up or all the way over? Thanks a bunch! =) If you click on cell B2 and do Window > FreezePanes, then both column A and row 1 will be "frozen"....... Vaya con Dios, Chuck, CABGx3 " <littlestar@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:3B58B895-7C24-4418-87B3-B3B5F35AA682@microsoft.com....

Split "Firstname Lastname" text box into two columns, Multiple Aut
Hello, I've got a bibliography data base I'm trying to set up and would like to enter a name, "John Smith" into my form and have it add an entry into my Authors table as Column 1 - John, Column 2, Smith. Also, there are sometimes mulitple authors on any given paper. How can I enter mulitple authors for the same paper? Below is the VBA, SQL code I've been trying to work from. I get an error, "Number of query values and destination fields are not the same" when I try to run it. But it still would 't solve the mulitple author problem even if it wo...

mail merge/merging 2 address lists...
Is there a way to merge two of your address lists in Publisher 2002? I have two address lists in my data base folder and would like all the addresses merged into one as there are some addresses different in each and some the same. Thank you. Robin Hi Robin (vicary@kconline.com.NOSPAM), in the Microsoft� newsgroups you posted: || Is there a way to merge two of your address lists in Publisher 2002? || I have two address lists in my data base folder and would like all || the addresses merged into one as there are some addresses different || in each and some the same. No, you cannot. You nee...

adding data from multiple spreadsheets into one chart
I need to put information from 4 different spreadsheets into one graph. Can someone please help me? Produce a graph from your first spreadsheet. Copy the relevant data range from the second spreadsheet, then select the graph and edit/ paste special/ new series or new data points. Similarly for the third and fourth sheets. If you have difficulties getting exactly what you want that way, you can use edit Source Data in the graph to add an extra series or to change the X or Y data range for an existing sreries. -- David Biddulph "Marjory" <Marjory@discussions.microsoft.com&g...

merge and compare
We have two versions of the same work sheet from differnt dates. Some of the cells have been changed in the latest version and we need to compare which cells have had changes and selectively merge the two. Is there any hope??? jimired wrote: > We have two versions of the same work sheet from differnt dates. > > Some of the cells have been changed in the latest version and we need > to compare which cells have had changes and selectively merge the two. > > Is there any hope??? Hi have a look at http://www.cpearson.com/Zips/Compare.ZIP An add-in which compares two worksh...

Merging worksheet into MS Word mail merge
I am merging a letter and an Excel worksheet. When I merge an Excel field that contains $ and commas separating the hundreds and thousands, the $ and the , do not show up in the merged letter. Any suggestions on how to solve this problem? -- Briggs Hi Instead of just referring to the cell e.g. A1 use =TEXT(A1,"[$$-409]#,##0.00") -- Regards Roger Govier "Briggs" <Briggs@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:2F326201-A50F-45E5-9767-4C189ACA5529@microsoft.com... > I am merging a letter and an Excel worksheet. When I merge an Exc...

GP Help Files
Hi everybody - we have some custom windows in GP 10, and we would like to add some custom help items under the (?) help in the top right hand corner - how can I add a menu item there that will point to my documentation? ...

Autopopulate Multiple Fields in Table Using a Form
I have a form based on a table where I want to store data. The data to store comes from combo boxes based on various lookup tables. The wrinkle is that there is one lookup table that contains 2 fields of data (questionnum and question) I want stored in the table once the questionnum is selected. The question field is formatted as 'memo'. When I create the combo box the question field is not an option for selection. I add it manually to the properties after completing the criteria for the combo box. I have been struggling with the code used to autopopulate more than one field but...