Mail Merge Outlook 2003/Word 2003 Not Working

Its that time of year again when we've all got to send out our xmas
cards and woops I can't get the mmerge labels to work
(using win xp sp1)

Tried it from both outlook as a start point and word
I've got quite a number of sub folders in my contacts

their are two I'd like to individually mm to labels
both are configured to be used as address books

with 1, the contacts are selected from the outlook contact list and
are shown in the dialogue box as:
Personal Folders\contacts\friends

but the names and addresses are not the same as the contacts I
actually have in the folder called 'friends' which is in my folder
list
how can this be?

Regards

David M Wicker

(I've decided to leave problem 2 until after I've sorted problem 1
above)

No one can help if you do not provide the precise steps you are using and
what happens.
--
Russ Valentine
[MVP-Outlook]
"David M Wicker" <david.wicker@NOSPAM.ntlworld.com> wrote in message
> Its that time of year again when we've all got to send out our xmas
> cards and woops I can't get the mmerge labels to work
> (using win xp sp1)
>
> Tried it from both outlook as a start point and word
> I've got quite a number of sub folders in my contacts
>
> their are two I'd like to individually mm to labels
> both are configured to be used as address books
>
> with 1, the contacts are selected from the outlook contact list and
> are shown in the dialogue box as:
> Personal Folders\contacts\friends
>
> but the names and addresses are not the same as the contacts I
> actually have in the folder called 'friends' which is in my folder
> list
> how can this be?
>
> Regards
>
> David M Wicker
>
> (I've decided to leave problem 2 until after I've sorted problem 1
> above)

0
russval (3097)
12/13/2004 10:12:40 AM
Russ

I thought I had, but to be more precise:
using word
tools
letters & mailings
mmerge labels
step 1	labels
2	tick change document layout , ok avery j8160 labels
3	tick select from outlook contacts/ choose outlook contact
folder/ select 'xxxx' PF's/Contacts/Friends, dialogue box pops up with
contacts but with contacts from a different folder than I specified,
all are already ticked,clicked ok
4	select 'address block' , select 'update all labels'
4	preview contact list, but it shows a different list than at
stage 3, why?

If I try from outlook that goes wrong as well, but I didnt wish to
overwhelm the helpful people like yourselves, with too many problems
at once

David

On Mon, 13 Dec 2004 05:12:40 -0500, "Russ Valentine [MVP-Outlook]"
<russval@mvps.org> wrote:

>No one can help if you do not provide the precise steps you are using and
>what happens.
>--
>Russ Valentine
>[MVP-Outlook]
>"David M Wicker" <david.wicker@NOSPAM.ntlworld.com> wrote in message
>> Its that time of year again when we've all got to send out our xmas
>> cards and woops I can't get the mmerge labels to work
>> (using win xp sp1)
>>
>> Tried it from both outlook as a start point and word
>> I've got quite a number of sub folders in my contacts
>>
>> their are two I'd like to individually mm to labels
>> both are configured to be used as address books
>>
>> with 1, the contacts are selected from the outlook contact list and
>> are shown in the dialogue box as:
>> Personal Folders\contacts\friends
>>
>> but the names and addresses are not the same as the contacts I
>> actually have in the folder called 'friends' which is in my folder
>> list
>> how can this be?
>>
>> Regards
>>
>> David M Wicker
>>
>> (I've decided to leave problem 2 until after I've sorted problem 1
>> above)

Most likely you have your Outlook Address Book configured incorrectly.
To circumvent such problems, start your merge from Outlook. If indeed you
did, then how is it that you can start from the Outlook Contacts folder with
which you want to merge and not have the Contacts you selected? That would
be inexplicable, and I doubt that could happen. There is more to this story.
--
> Russ
>
> I thought I had, but to be more precise:
> using word
> tools
> letters & mailings
> mmerge labels
> step 1 labels
> 2 tick change document layout , ok avery j8160 labels
> 3 tick select from outlook contacts/ choose outlook contact
> folder/ select 'xxxx' PF's/Contacts/Friends, dialogue box pops up with
> contacts but with contacts from a different folder than I specified,
> all are already ticked,clicked ok
> 4 select 'address block' , select 'update all labels'
> 4 preview contact list, but it shows a different list than at
> stage 3, why?
>
> If I try from outlook that goes wrong as well, but I didnt wish to
> overwhelm the helpful people like yourselves, with too many problems
> at once
>

> David
>
> On Mon, 13 Dec 2004 05:12:40 -0500, "Russ Valentine [MVP-Outlook]"
> <russval@mvps.org> wrote:
>
>>No one can help if you do not provide the precise steps you are using and
>>what happens.
>>--
>>Russ Valentine
>>[MVP-Outlook]
>>"David M Wicker" <david.wicker@NOSPAM.ntlworld.com> wrote in message
>>> Its that time of year again when we've all got to send out our xmas
>>> cards and woops I can't get the mmerge labels to work
>>> (using win xp sp1)
>>>
>>> Tried it from both outlook as a start point and word
>>> I've got quite a number of sub folders in my contacts
>>>
>>> their are two I'd like to individually mm to labels
>>> both are configured to be used as address books
>>>
>>> with 1, the contacts are selected from the outlook contact list and
>>> are shown in the dialogue box as:
>>> Personal Folders\contacts\friends
>>>
>>> but the names and addresses are not the same as the contacts I
>>> actually have in the folder called 'friends' which is in my folder
>>> list
>>> how can this be?
>>>
>>> Regards
>>>
>>> David M Wicker
>>>
>>> (I've decided to leave problem 2 until after I've sorted problem 1
>>> above)

0
russval (3097)
12/13/2004 10:26:02 PM
On Mon, 13 Dec 2004 17:26:02 -0500, "Russ Valentine [MVP-Outlook]"
<russval@mvps.org> wrote:

>Most likely you have your Outlook Address Book configured incorrectly.
>To circumvent such problems, start your merge from Outlook.

I've tried it, but get lost when the mail merge helper drops out

 If indeed you
>did, then how is it that you can start from the Outlook Contacts folder with
>which you want to merge and not have the Contacts you selected? That would
>be inexplicable, and I doubt that could happen. There is more to this story.
>--
>Russ Valentine
>[MVP-Outlook]

go on, give me a clue?

what should I do to untangle this?
each folder I want to mm with, If I click on it then properties, it
has the correct name (but path is not shown) and the 'use as
email....' is also ticked

need to go to get some sleep now, but will respond tomorrow am

David

You must at least specify where and how you get lost. The Mail Merge
Helper is never in play here. Use the Mail Merge Toolbar.
------
Russ Valentine
[MVP-Outlook]

David M Wicker wrote:
> On Mon, 13 Dec 2004 17:26:02 -0500, "Russ Valentine [MVP-Outlook]"
> <russval@mvps.org> wrote:
>

>>Most likely you have your Outlook Address Book configured incorrectly.
>>To circumvent such problems, start your merge from Outlook.
>

> I've tried it, but get lost when the mail merge helper drops out
>
>  If indeed you
>
>>did, then how is it that you can start from the Outlook Contacts folder with
>>which you want to merge and not have the Contacts you selected? That would
>>be inexplicable, and I doubt that could happen. There is more to this story.
>>--
>>Russ Valentine
>>[MVP-Outlook]
>

> go on, give me a clue?
>
> what should I do to untangle this?
> each folder I want to mm with, If I click on it then properties, it
> has the correct name (but path is not shown) and the 'use as
> email....' is also ticked
>
> need to go to get some sleep now, but will respond tomorrow am
>
> David

0
russval (3097)
12/14/2004 2:38:45 AM
On Mon, 13 Dec 2004 21:38:45 -0500, "Russ Valentine [MVP Outlook]"
<russval@mvps.org> wrote:

>You must at least specify where and how you get lost. The Mail Merge
>Helper is never in play here. Use the Mail Merge Toolbar.
>------
>Russ Valentine
>[MVP-Outlook]

Russ

have now got the mm toolbar
will give you chapter and verse tomorrow, when i'm fresher

david
It should help you. If you need more basic help, try the Mail Merge Task
Pane. I prefer the former.
--
> On Mon, 13 Dec 2004 21:38:45 -0500, "Russ Valentine [MVP Outlook]"
> <russval@mvps.org> wrote:
>
>>You must at least specify where and how you get lost. The Mail Merge
>>Helper is never in play here. Use the Mail Merge Toolbar.
>>------
>>Russ Valentine
>>[MVP-Outlook]
>
> Russ
>
> have now got the mm toolbar
> will give you chapter and verse tomorrow, when i'm fresher
>
> david

0
russval (3097)

Way to get Word to go back to 100% zoom when maximized
I do a lot of copying and pasting, and consequently I often shrink a Word doc to 75% or so view, so that I can see the entire page, when the Word window itself has been shrunk to half of my screen (so I can view another doc on the other side of the screen). When I maximize one of the Word windows, the zoom setting remains at 75% until I change it back to 100. Is there a way to get Word to reset the zoom setting, when a document is maximized? I know if this is my biggest problem with Word, I got it made.... I'm just wondering if this can be done. :) BTW--I'm on Word 2003 i...

re-downloading mail on Outlook 2003
I just upgraded from Office 97 to Office 2003. Using Outlook 97, my wife and I were able to use different computers but share one email account. The same mail was downloaded to each PC one time. Now, the same mail gets downloaded over and over again on each PC. I obviously can choose to delete the mail from the server so that it only gets read once, but then the second PC will never see it. How can I get the same behavior from Outlook 2003 that I used to have? Reading 500 messages every 10 minutes makes the upgrade really unusable. Try creating a new mail profile on each comput...

How do you a mail message to everyone in your mail database
How do you sending a mail message to everyone is your mail database? I have switched internet dial-up links and need to send a message to everyone. -- Michael Felix felix@attglobal.net You can select all items in your Contacts folder (assuming they all have valid e-mail addresses -- if not, set a filter first so that only those with valid e-mail addresses are showing) and then click Actions | New message to contact. Of course, if you have a lot of contacts, your ISP may balk at sending to so many at once -- if so, you'll have to break up the list somehow. -- Jocelyn Fiorello MVP -...

OL2003 unable to send mail
Hi In OL2003 when I try to send email I get; 'Your message did not reach some or all of the intended recipients. The following recipient(s) could not be reached: .... None of your email accounts could send to this recipient.' The pc is connected to the internet via a router. Other pcs connected to the router can send mail fine. What is the problem and how can I fix it? Thanks Regards Do you require authentication to send email? check with your provider. "John" <John@nospam.infovis.co.uk> wrote in message news:%23AzlAxUQFHA.3196@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl... > Hi ...

Safe sendershould not go to junk mail
Hi, I have an web application sends email, I found outlook 2003 puts the emails to the junk mail folder if multiple emails were sent within a short period of time, about 1 minute. The initial one was ok went to inbox, while the followings went to junk mail. but if the gap between multiple emails sent time was longer, the problem went away. (each one went to inbox). This only happened for outlook 2003, not for outlook xp. The sender address is in the global address list, with the same domain with all my users. (so I think it qualified as safe sender.) Question: How can I turn off this filt...

multiple e-mails
Usin' Outlook or Outlook Express, for some reason I keep gettin' repeat emails. Somebody can send me one and I get the same message two or three times! What can I do, if anything, to cure this problem? Anybody had the same problem? Please don't tell me I'm the only one that has had this problem... Rayce texican@coastaccess.com ...

roadwarrior + principal + multigig e-mail + psts = ???
hi all, here's the deal. we have a principal who travels all the time. she gets an insane amount of legit e-mail with small to large attachments (we cap it at 15 MB, 5 MB is fairly common). her mailbox is capped at 700 MB. this is not enough. we have to archive for her every other month. she has almost 2GBs of PST archives on the network. she wants to have access to them all the time. so we have set up offline files to sync the pst folder. ick. sometimes she'll actually edit the psts on the road and when she gets back she's asked to choose between the network version and her loca...

mails are not going out side of my domain
hi , i have an exchange 2003 (sp1) with windows server 2003(sp1) i have an smtp filter for exchange which filters the mails coming in my exchange server , the scenario is like that , first i have an router then pix firewall and then smtp filter then my exchange comes ,he domain controller and exchnage are on same machine. today i am getting a problem is that the mails from hotmail and yahoo are coming to my exchange but the mails from my exchange are not going outside ,the error i am getting is given below. "Your message with Subject: hi test mail could not be delivered to the fo...

e-mail #17
Microsoft Outlook does not respond to making it my default for e-mail. I have checked all that I know how to. It is checked as my default under "Other" Tab but it continues to send my e-mail to Outlook Express. Why? What am I doing wrong? Orville Cruea <ocruea@columbus.rr.com> wrote: > Microsoft Outlook does not respond to making it my > default for e-mail. I have checked all that I know how > to. It is checked as my default under "Other" Tab but it > continues to send my e-mail to Outlook Express. Why? What > am I doing wrong? What you are doi...

.snp Sent via Access-to-Outlook Automatic
W/ a filename of Sales030408_030908.snp - is NOT opening. What am I doing wrong? TIA - Bob Hi Bob, My guess is that you are not doing anything wrong. It may be that some setting is not correct in your registry to allow Outlook and Snapview.exe to work together correctly. Are you able to open the .snp file if you first save it from the e-mail message to some folder on your hard drive? Have you tried a different .snp file, just to rule out possible corruption in the Sales030408_030908.snp file? Tom Wickerath Microsoft Access MVP http://www.accessmvp.com/TWickerath/ http://www.access.q...

Outlook 2000 #10
Whenever I start outlook on a win98 machine it goes to whatever startin box I define that is fine. here is the problem Outlook will just hang for about five minutes. If I then go to task manager its says not responding. But will start after awhile. ...

Counts for Mail Folders #2
I'd like to have the total number of messages in all the folders and subfolders of my mailbox to appear on the status bar. I don't think that's possible "Steve" <Steve@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:21235507-8D1A-49F6-8ACA-AEFF12922B79@microsoft.com... > I'd like to have the total number of messages in all the folders and > subfolders of my mailbox to appear on the status bar. ...

Importing old MS Mail folders
I need to import the shared folders and global address book from an old MS Mail postoffice. I have seen some discussions concerning migrating mailboxes but very little at that. Can anyone point me in the right direction? THanx! ...

Automatic Receipt of email when Outlook is opened
I am having to select Send/Receive to get email and I think there is a way for email to automatically come into Outlook from the server without that selection. This is a home computer running XP Pro on a Cable Modem. It is possible to set this up. Here is a link to an article that should walk you through the steps to make this happen, http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=KB;EN-US;829168. I hope this helps resolve your issue. Robert Findlay Partner Technical Lead -- Outlook/Office Setup Microsoft Technical Support for Platforms and Business Applications ------------------...

repititive e-mails
Outlook 2002 in Office XP When sending, the mail does not leave the outbox and sends over and over again, never making it to the sent items folder. The recipients are getting it multiple times. How to fix? ...

Mail receiveing but not sending
Since setting up my mail to use SMTP instead of pop3 I can recieve mail fine but when I send mail it goes but doesn't turn up at the other end! I used the ICW in sbs 2003 to configure it. I've checked the queues on the exchange server but there all empty. My exchange Small Business SMTP connector Properties are set to forward all mail through a smart host. currently smtp.ozemail.com.au!! Not sure why this is happening! Any help would be appreciated! Thanks Any help from SBS newsgroup? John wrote: > Since setting up my mail to use SMTP instead of pop3 I can > recie...

Unable to send e-mails, but can receive e-mail.
I have re-installed Windows Outlook 2000 but now I can not receive e-mails. My network configuration is correct. My IP address and server are correctly labeled, but I still can not receive e-mail. Everyone on the server are not having any problems. What should I do? Hi - which is it you're having a problem with? Your subject line & message content are contradictory... Are you connecting to an Exchange server? What kind of mail account are you having problems with? What errors do you get? GJimenez wrote: > I have re-installed Windows Outlook 2000 but now I can not > receive...

Plugin to read OWA with Outlook
Hello all, I'm in this situation: my firewall does not permit traffic for RPC to connect to a remote exchange server. Remote server cannot be configured to run RPC on port 80 (maybe while is running a webserver on the same port). POP3 and IMAP is not available. Is there an add-ins to get into my outlook email read from OWA? Thanks Stefano As far as I know, no. The best you can do is set a folder home page to the OWA page and use Outlook like a browser but that's really not more helpful than using a regular browser. "Ste" <s.cislaghi@gmail.com> wrote in message n...

Unable to save a form or report in Access 2003.
Recently, I have been unable to save new forms and reports or make changes in Access 2003. I was able to in the past. I can save changes to the tables and queries. I have permission checked. Does anyone have any ideas? It sounds as if you are working with an mde file instead of an mdb file. Does this happen with only one database or any Access database you are using? Does this happen if you create a new database? John Spencer Access MVP 2002-2005, 2007-2010 The Hilltop Institute University of Maryland Baltimore County Jo wrote: > Recently, I have been unable to save ...

Incoming mail server changes to "localhost" after windows is restarting
hi... this is the problem i am facing...can anyone help me "Incoming mail server changes to "localhost" after windows is restarting" pls reply in vijai@fourdtech.co.in" Thanks & Regards Vijay The most likely reason is that you have an antivirus solution installed that can scan e-mail as it is downloaded. You would need to disable the scanning of e-mail to get what you describe to stop. "vijai@fourdtech.co.in" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:146d01c4a20a$b5ca8e60$a301280a@phx.gbl... > hi... > > this is ...

Replicate mail boxes?
is it possable to replicate mail boxes? I would like to do this while we migrate fully over to our new server? What are you trying to accomplish? replicate Stores? At byte and block levels using 3rd party products like NSI, or from storage vendors like NetApp (SnapMirror) and EMC. Exchange 12 is reported to have log shipping. -- Bharat Suneja MCSE, MCT www.zenprise.com blog: www.suneja.com/blog ----------------------------------------- "Josh" <Jsawyer@insightbb.com> wrote in message news:e$ZlNv66FHA.4076@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl... > is it possable to replicate mail...

Mailing in a test enviornment
I have a CRM ans SQL server configure on a single machine and the Domain controleer along with exchange Server on a seperate machine. Till some time back Mails could be sent via CRM and they could be seen in the history tab. Suddenly when i try to send mails vai CRM, it gives me the following error: Unexpected Error for more information contact your system administrator. I have checked all the necessary services required for the excahnge enviornment. The exchange router has been reinstalled as well. Still cannot figure out why I am getting this error. Thank for your help in advance Jus...

Outlook and disappearing Calendar Events
I work for a large company with 30,000 users on Microsoft Outlook. Some of us have Outlook 2003 while others are still using Outlook 2002 or Outlook 2000. All of the groups in our company seem to have this same problem. As an example, if a calendar event is sent to 30 users and accepted, everything is fine. If that same calendar event is updated by the originator, some but not all users have problems with that event. In some cases the calendar event disappears or cannot be opened or saved while in others the object can't be found. Does this sound like an Exchange error or an en...

change mail format for contacts
For the iphone, attachments come over as winmail.dat and the solution is to change the mail format in options, mail format to HTML. Also the individual contacts needs to be changed by double clicking the email address and changing the internet format to Send Plain Text only. After these changes are made, the attachments come over fine. I have had problems with this issue with some contact before. I would love to be able to make this change globally instead of having to edit all contacts. Can this be done. It can be done with some VBA code, which you'll find here: ht...

delete blocked senders messages on receipt why junk mail them?
Why is it that after going to all the trouble of putting people onto a blocked senders list the filter still puts their messages into the junk mail folder for you to delete them? Or am I understanding the training wrong? ---------------- This post is a suggestion for Microsoft, and Microsoft responds to the suggestions with the most votes. To vote for this suggestion, click the "I Agree" button in the message pane. If you do not see the button, follow this link to open the suggestion in the Microsoft Web-based Newsreader and then click "I Agree" in the message pane....