Lots and lots of outlook.exes

A new condition on my PC has allowed the presence of multiple outlook.exe
instances, as verified by Task Manager. Outlook itself does not complain,
but any routine that includes the creation of an email message (like
Acrobat's File | Email command, or Send To Email, or my database's Send Mail
function) will return the generic "The Operation Failed" error. I must close
Outlook and manually remove all of the extra instances to clear this error.
Sometimes, there will be as many as 15 extra instances running -- it's a
miracle that Outlook itself runs normally (seemingly).

My suspicion is that the offending application is either Blackberry's
Desktop Manager or Google Calendar Sync. Can anyone verify what is going on
here and suggest a solution? Many thanks...

--
Rick A.
Pleasanton CA

0
rick.a1 (31)

It could be either.
http://slipstick.com/problems/close.asp

--
Diane Poremsky [MVP - Outlook]

Outlook Tips by email:

"Rick Altman" <rick.a@NOSPAMaltman.com> wrote in message
> A new condition on my PC has allowed the presence of multiple outlook.exe
> instances, as verified by Task Manager. Outlook itself does not complain,
> but any routine that includes the creation of an email message (like
> Acrobat's File | Email command, or Send To Email, or my database's Send
> Mail function) will return the generic "The Operation Failed" error. I
> must close Outlook and manually remove all of the extra instances to clear
> this error. Sometimes, there will be as many as 15 extra instances
> running -- it's a miracle that Outlook itself runs normally (seemingly).
>
> My suspicion is that the offending application is either Blackberry's
> Desktop Manager or Google Calendar Sync. Can anyone verify what is going
> on here and suggest a solution? Many thanks...
>

> --
> Rick A.
> Pleasanton CA

0
outlookmvp (5838)
4/24/2008 2:04:04 PM
Thanks, Diane --

I am aware of the issue with apps that prevent Outlook from closing and I am
familiar with the small apps discussed at the link you gave. I am not trying
to close Outlook; I just want to prevent multiple instances from starting. I
did not initially think that my problem was related, but perhaps it is. What
do you think?

Rick A.

> It could be either.
> http://slipstick.com/problems/close.asp

rick.a1 (31)
4/24/2008 6:55:02 PM
do you keep outlook open when the computer is running? I've never had a
problem with acrobat and others opening new instances as long as outlook was
running. When I close outlook, if something is keeping it open I can end up
with a lot of instances when I reopen it.

--

> Thanks, Diane --
>
> I am aware of the issue with apps that prevent Outlook from closing and I
> am familiar with the small apps discussed at the link you gave. I am not
> trying to close Outlook; I just want to prevent multiple instances from
> starting. I did not initially think that my problem was related, but
> perhaps it is. What do you think?
>

> Rick A.
>

> "Diane Poremsky [MVP]" <outlookmvp@msn.com> wrote in message
>> It could be either.
>> http://slipstick.com/problems/close.asp
>>
>> --

0
outlookmvp (5838)
4/24/2008 8:15:46 PM
Yes, that's what makes this different than the more common problem of the
program staying in memory after being closed. In this case, Outlook is open
(and behaving normally by all outward respects), but some condition is
causing a propogation of outlook.exe instances to the process list. And it
is the multiple instances that cause Send Mail commands in other apps to
fail.

Rick A.

> do you keep outlook open when the computer is running? I've never had a
> problem with acrobat and others opening new instances as long as outlook
> was running. When I close outlook, if something is keeping it open I can
> end up with a lot of instances when I reopen it.
>
> --
> Diane Poremsky [MVP - Outlook]
>
> Outlook Tips by email:

> "Rick Altman" <rick.a@NOSPAMaltman.com> wrote in message
>> Thanks, Diane --
>>
>> I am aware of the issue with apps that prevent Outlook from closing and I
>> am familiar with the small apps discussed at the link you gave. I am not
>> trying to close Outlook; I just want to prevent multiple instances from
>> starting. I did not initially think that my problem was related, but
>> perhaps it is. What do you think?
>>

>> Rick A.
>>

>> "Diane Poremsky [MVP]" <outlookmvp@msn.com> wrote in message
>>> It could be either.
>>> http://slipstick.com/problems/close.asp
>>>
>>> --

0
rick.a1 (31)

Where does outlook store account information
Hello, I need to write a program that creates Outlook email accounts on user computers. Before I can get started I need to know where Outlook stores email account information for a user. Any ideas? I just need to know for Outlook, not Outlook Express. Aaron Registry and you will want to take a look at the respective Office Resource Kit for whichever version of Office/Outlook you are working with. Office Resource Kit files are a free download from the Microsoft web site. "junk@poorstudents.us" <af@poorstudents.us> wrote in message news:1102889876.664590.255140@c13g2...

Outlook 2003 question #6
What is causing everyone's email to me to have a bright yellow background? I do not have Word as my default text editor. I want the emails to come back to me with a normal background. I realize some have stationary and this will come to me as such, but I am certain that not EVERYONE that has sent me email today has it set to come in a bright yellow background. Please help! ...

re-establish outlook accounts after mimail virus
recently picked up mimail virus. I cleaned the virus, and updated to explorer 6.0 & outlook express 6.0. however, I cannot add new identities. e-mail for other 2 accounts is currently being deposited into my mailbox. ...

Lots and lots of outlook.exes
A new condition on my PC has allowed the presence of multiple outlook.exe instances, as verified by Task Manager. Outlook itself does not complain, but any routine that includes the creation of an email message (like Acrobat's File | Email command, or Send To Email, or my database's Send Mail function) will return the generic "The Operation Failed" error. I must close Outlook and manually remove all of the extra instances to clear this error. Sometimes, there will be as many as 15 extra instances running -- it's a miracle that Outlook itself runs normally (seemingl...

Outlook Connector with Saving Sent Mail into Outlook Folders
I've recently downloaded the Outlook Connector as an add-in to Outlook 2003 to conduct my Hotmail (Live Mail) send/receive activity from Outlook. I'm not sure what I gained as the previous way of integrating Hotmail with Outlook seemed sufficient (except it kept crashing on startup if I had received mail in my Hotmail account). Anyway, I'm using the new Outlook Connector now and I've noticed one thing different than the way I used to interact with Hotmail that's a real concern. When I create a new mail message to send through Hotmail, I've always gone to the Opti...

outlook and outlook express #6
In terms of e-mail configuration, is Outlook and Outlook Express the same? My e-mail is not working. My service provider says that it cannot provide support for I am using Outlook, not Outlook Express. Best regards, The basics are the same between both programs but many ISPs won't help set up outlook because the screens are a bit different. Are you getting any errors? -- Diane Poremsky [MVP - Outlook] Author, Teach Yourself Outlook 2003 in 24 Hours Coauthor, OneNote 2003 for Windows (Visual QuickStart Guide) Outlook Tips: http://www.outlook-tips.net/ Search for answers: http://g...

MS Money 2002 Stopped Working For Lots of Us... What is Happening Here?
This incident needs immediate adressing by Microsoft...... I think someone or a group of people are trying to access MS Money accounts to obtain account information. My story: While using MS Money 2002, I had a box pop up that said "Important download has been applied to your MS Money. Please close all applications and reboot"....... There was some additional instructions about opening Money as an administrator once the computer was rebooted to apply the patch. Once I did this, Money no longer started. I tried to re-install, but it was futile. I see lots of people have had this pr...

Multiple Signatures in Outlook XP
I am using Outlook XP in an Exchange 2000 environment. I also send / recieve mail from an unrelated, external SMTP server. I have set up two different signatures (one for each email address). Is there a way to have Outlook automatically select the appropriate signature when I choose which account I am sending from? Thanks for you help, Rusty No, this feature was added in Outlook 2003. --� Milly Staples [MVP - Outlook] Post all replies to the group to keep the discussion intact. Due to the (insert latest virus name here) virus, all mail sent to my personal account will be deleted ...

saving outlook 2000
How do i go about saving Outlook 2000 including all it's contents onto a zipdrive??? >How do i go about saving Outlook 2000 including all it's >contents onto a zipdrive??? Not possible. Much of Outlook 2000's settings are kept in the Registry and without a registry backup tool, you won't be able to put it on the zip drive. The best approach is to simply same your PST files where your messages reside. -- Brian Tillman Smiths Aerospace 3290 Patterson Ave. SE, MS 1B3 Grand Rapids, MI 49512-1991 Brian.Tillman is the name, smiths-aerospace.com is the domain. I don'...

Outlook 2000 professional Problem
Hi to all! I have a problem in Outlook 2000 professional installed in Windows 98 SE computer. When I add the Exchange mailbox I got an error The Name Could Not Be Resolved. The Operation Failed. However when I tried to installed Office XP in Windows 98 SE I can succesfully get the mailbox but the Office XP is just a beta version and we have a license only in Office 2000. Is there anybody encountered this problem using office 2000 professional. Thansk for the help! Emslan Check this out to see if everything looks OK. http://support.microsoft.com/kb/297801/en-us Nue "emslan"...

Can't accept a task in Outlook 2007
I keep getting an error message when I try to accept a task sent to me in outlook 2007. The pop up message says: "The task cannot be sent. It may be an attachment of another message" Has anyone seen this before or know how to fix it so that I can accept a task? I can accept calendar dates and such, but not tasks. Please help! ...

MS CRM 3.0 and Outlook Contact syncing issue
I have a problem with one laptop user and his ability to sync CRM data groups with his Outlook Contacts. A summary of what I've tried: Originally installed the laptop client so the user could work offline. Set up syncronizing with Outlook Contacts and some data groups but the sync locked up and I had to cancel. Retried the sync, but kept getting an error and it would never complete. The exact error is "An unknown error occurred while synchronizing the data to Outlook" - very helpful eh? :-) Uninstalled CRM and SQL, deleted all folders I could find associated with CRM an...

outlook date incorrect
Has anyone experienced any problems with the received date being incorrect in Outlook, the date seems to come as 04/09/03, in that all dates arrive as this. This only seems to happen with Outlook and not Outlook Express The time seems to be okay. Thanks in advance Trev. ...

Differences(?) between Outlook 2003 & Outlook XP in IMAP accounts
Hi to everyone! Is it true that Outlook XP downloads only the header of the messages and the hole message with double-click but Outlook 2003 downloads the whole message with a single click?? This must be a mistake or I'm doing something wrong!! How can I configure my IMAP accounts in Outlook 2003 so that they 'll behave like Outlook XP (preview only the title of messages and download them if I want to with double-click)? Thanks in advance! I forget how OL2002 does it, but in OL2003, selecting the message downloads it - I guess that qualifies as a single click. My message headers all ...

two login boxes when launching Outlook Express
I'm seeing 2 login boxes when laucnhing Outlook Express on a few machines that I support. If I enter the password in one of them, I can cancel the the other one and still get into the mail. However, it's quite annoying; I'd like to get back to just 1 login box. Anyone have a solution for this? ...

Problems with exporting from Outlook Express
I'm running OUTLOOK Express v. 6 on Windows ME and when I like to export my messages (mails) , I never get the chance to say where I like the created file to be stored (i.e what directory) . If I export my Address book I get it and all seems well. So, where does it wind up ?? and/or is it a bug in Outlook Express (I like to start use OUTLOOK instead) ??. What's the file extension of the export file ? Any hints appreciated. Rgds - Backis backis <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: > I'm running OUTLOOK Express v. 6 on Windows ME and when I > like to e...

Sale of Manufactured Lot Controlled Item did not relieve inventory
GP v9 on SQL 2000 with Manufacturing and Nolan Advanced SOP modules: We created a new lot controlled item then received it into a new lot through an MRC. The inventory when from zero to the 25KG created by the receipt. All on hand was immediately sold through a Sales Order and subsequent invoice. The inventory still shows the 25KG, not zero. The Sales Document, Inventory Transactions and Serial/Lot Trace inquiry screens all show normally (i.e., there is a receipt for 25KG, and a Sale for 25KG, for the lot in question). Transactions flowing to the G/L are normal (i.e. all the ...

View System Folders in Outlook Explorer
I would like to be able to view a windows folder within the Outlook explorer. I have found a way to create a shortcut in the short view. Clicking the shortcut opens a new windows with that system folder, but I would like to be able to navigate and work in a system folder in the folder view of Outlook. Any ideas? Thanks! That's no longer supported in current versions of Outlook 2003.=20 --=20 Sue Mosher, Outlook MVP Author of Configuring Microsoft Outlook 2003 http://www.turtleflock.com/olconfig/index.htm and Microsoft Outlook Programming - Jumpstart for=20 Administrat...

how to find "auto reply in outlook 2003?"
how to find "auto reply in outlook 2003?" http://www.slipstick.com/rules/autoreply.htm http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/outlook/HA010347861033.aspx "outlook" <outlook@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:4031ECB1-2DDF-438C-A8AA-A4065F830BE0@microsoft.com... > how to find "auto reply in outlook 2003?" ...

Outlook 2003 filters
When a filter is applied to a Contacts folder in Outlook 2003 the number of items at the bottom-left corner of the Outlook window doesn't change to reflect the number of items in the filtered view. It always shows the total number of items in the Contact folder. I'm sure this used to show a filtered/total count like "235/550 items" Does anyone know why this is and is there a workaround ...

Setting email timeouts for Outlook
I'm having a real problem on one computer Win XP Pro / Outlook 2003 in sending and receiving email. It looks like an occasional timeout problem caused by someting external to this computer. I've set all the timeouts on this computer that appear to relate to receiving and sending email. I wonder if I've missed one or two. Which timeouts can be set that might affect slow email receiving in particular? Ditto for sending (which is less likely to fail here). Thanks, Fred Most likely this is caused by your virusscanner which is scanning incoming and outgoing e-mail before it ac...

Outlook password cache
Hi When users change password the can't access CRM when in Outlook, they have to say in internet explorer that they don't log on with the current user and then try again and then it ask for username and password. Afterwards it's possible to go into CRM in Outlook, is there a way to change this behaviour ? In Internet Explorer, clear the temporary files and cookies. http://blogs.msdn.com/crm/archive/2006/12/11/why-the-crm-web-client-and-outlook-client-don-t-play-nicely-together.aspx "Help needed" <jackdSPAM@jackd.dk> wrote in message news:OY96%23vQUHHA....

Outlook hangs up #2
I keep getting this error. It hangs up everytime I try to exit out of Outlook and sometimes when I am going from one task to another. Has anyone had this and know how to fix it? Jan Event Type: Error Event Source: Application Hang Event Category: (101) Event ID: 1002 Date: Time: User: N/A Computer: Description: Hanging application OUTLOOK.EXE, version 11.0.5510.0, hang module hungapp, version 0.0.0.0, hang address 0x00000000. For more information, see Help and Support Center at http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/events.asp. Data: 0000: 41 70 70 6c 69 63 61 74 Applicat 0008: 69 6f ...

Configuring Outlook 2007
Hi, I was trying to configure Outlook 2007 to access my mails. I am facing this problem continuosly- If I try to access my hotmail account, it always goes into Offline mode, though I am able to access it through Windows Live. Once or twice, I have been able to download few mails, but never more than than that. The OS is Vista. Thanks ________________________________________ " If you think you can, and if you think you can't, then you are right"- Henry ford Are you using the Outlook Connector? if not, you need it - http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?Fa...

Outlook removal and reinstalling
I posted the message below earlier today 15.09 and so far no replies, as a last resort I will have to delete outlook and reistall it, can anyone explain how I can do this as I cannot see it listed in my add/remove programs in the control panel, also I have mails in the index and sent folders that I would like to save but I do not know how. Thanks in advance John I am using Outlook 2000 SP 3 9.0.0.6627 and have been using a free version of Cloudmark spamnet for a while, I have been asked to subscribe but have not done so. Today whilst downloading my e mail, the computer made a noise l...