Lost mail in Outlook 2002 when upgrading to WinXP Pro

I was using Outlook 2002 to read mail in my Administrator
account under Windows 2000 Pro.  When I upgraded to
Windows XP Pro, I lost all of my E-mail, because
apparently the installer didn't copy my old Administrator
account to the new WinXP Administrator account.

I tried to copy the Outlook-related folders from my old
Admin account to my new Admin account.  It seemed to work
for a while, but then the Outlook Shortcuts bar started
acting strangely.  Is there an elegant way to get my old
Outlook mail into my new WinXP Admin account?

The best way is simply to configure a new installation to use your old
information store (PST file).

- Go to Tools > Options > Mail Setup > Data Files > Add...
- Add the PST you'd like as your new default, then Close > OK to exit the
Options dialog
- Go to Tools > E-mail Accounts > View or change existing e-mail accounts
- Select the PST you just added in the "Deliver New e-mail to the following
location" dropdown (it will most likely appear just below the current
default Personal Folders file) > Finish
- Exit and Restart Outlook
- You can now close the previous default PST (R-click on that pst folder
while in Folder View and select "Close <foldername> Folders"). If you have
any information in your former PST that you'd like to transfer to your new
default PST, you can drag and drop from one to the other before you close
the old one.
--
Russ Valentine
[MVP-Outlook]
"Wilson Lee" <salemrck92-bbs@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> I was using Outlook 2002 to read mail in my Administrator
> account under Windows 2000 Pro.  When I upgraded to
> Windows XP Pro, I lost all of my E-mail, because
> apparently the installer didn't copy my old Administrator
> account to the new WinXP Administrator account.
>
> I tried to copy the Outlook-related folders from my old
> Admin account to my new Admin account.  It seemed to work
> for a while, but then the Outlook Shortcuts bar started
> acting strangely.  Is there an elegant way to get my old
> Outlook mail into my new WinXP Admin account?

0
russval (3097)

How do I set up my outlook account
I am trying to set up my outlook account, does it sync with with my msn account? If so how? You need to see the information supplied by your Mail Account provider = on their website. --=81 Milly Staples [MVP - Outlook] Post all replies to the group to keep the discussion intact. All unsolicited mail sent to my personal account will be deleted without reading. =20 After furious head scratching, Kevin asked: | I am trying to set up my outlook account, does it sync with with my | msn account? If so how? ...

custom template for outlook rule
I have a mailbox on my exchange server that gets emails sent to support@mycompany.com. 4 Users on the network watch the inbox of my support mailbox from their outlooks by going in to other users folder. Yesterday I logged in as the support user so setup server side rules in outlook. The rule says. Any message sent to Support -> Have server reply with a specific message. Then I created an outlook message template that says "your message has been received, we will get back to you shortly". I found my template in C:\Documents and Settings\your username\Application Data\Micros...

outlook mail problem #2
i am running windows xp professional when i try to send a email a error comes up that says: does not recognize one or more names i recive mail find . can anyone help thanks gt gregg trenor <gt@irsauction.com> wrote: > i am running windows xp professional when i try to send > a email a error comes up that says: > does not recognize one or more names > i recive mail find . can anyone help thanks gt Please report, stating the exact text of the error messane, you Outlook version, and the type of account you're using. This isn't alt.psychic.read.my.mind -- Brian T...

Missing All Externally Received E-mail
Running Exchange 2003 in a clustered environment. User uses OWA exclusively. Mailbox had about 10,000 messages in the inbox. One day all externally sent E-mail was gone. Info store mounts and all E-mails from internal users are still there. This info is extremely important. Backups went back only 3 days (managed/hosted exchange provider). Has anyone ever experienced this? What "could" be the problem? STM file got hosed? Quarantined by AV? I'm hoping the file I need is still on the server but was moved after a corruption was found / storage limit was reached. ...

Emailing from Word fails unless Outlook is already open
I am using Outlook 98, Internet Mail only. I am not on a network. OS is Win 98SE For awhile now, when I attempt to use MAPI (“Send To Mail Recipient”) to email documents directly from Word 97, it still works fine *if* Outlook is already open. But if Outlook is closed, I now get the following series of errors when I click the Send button after composing the email OUTLOOK: This Program Has Caused an Illegal Operation and Will Be Shut Down - Details: Outlook caused an invalid page fault in module MSO97.DLL� Then MICROSOFT EXCHANGE: The action could not be completed Then MICROSOFT WORD: ...

What is the correct way to kill a search in progress in Outlook 2007?
I was doing a simple search in Outlook, it didn't find it in the Inbox, so I told it to "Try searching in all mail items". After five minutes I gave up but couldn't find any way to cancel the search. Not CTRL C, CTRL Break, escape, clicking anywhere on the Outllok window, etc. I ending up killing it in Task manager. What is the correct way to kill a search in progress in Outlook 2007? The x to the right of the search field should do it. -- Diane Poremsky [MVP - Outlook] Outlook Tips: http://www.outlook-tips.net/ Outlook & Exchange Solutions Cen...

Lost Formatting When tab is copied
My problem would seem to be very basic. I have a table that has values with dollars in columns and then a rate (i.e. one cell less another and then divide) in percentage format. When I copy an existing tab either into the same workbook or into a new workbook, many of my percent formats change to dollar format. This happens no matter what page I copy and it happens on pages that I am not even touching or copying. Often times these cells that lose their formatting are next to cells that are in dollar format that are pulling their data from pivot table. Could this have anything to do with it? ...

how to remove e-mail attachments from public folders
Is there way to configure public folders to strip and remove e-mail attachments, when users move emails from their inbox to the public folders? In my public folders I have setup a lets say projects folder for users to move e-mails they get from outside vendors involving different projects. The problem I have is this; E-mails come with file attachments and users forget to delete the attachments before they move the e-mails to the project folder. As result my public folder has grown too large. Is there a way I can set things up when an e-mail is moved from the users inbox to the public fo...

SOT
This is a multi-part message in MIME format. ------=_NextPart_000_012F_01C55179.E34527A0 Content-Type: text/plain; charset="iso-8859-1" Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable Is it possible to use non-Exchange Mail servers with Outlook (I'm = thinking of the free Mercury that comes from Pegasus initially - are = there others?) and if so, are there any recommended web sites to tell me = both how to set up the mail server and also connect Outlook to it? Thanks --=20 Gordon Burgess-Parker Interim Systems and Management Accounting www.gbpcomputing.co.uk ------=_NextPart_000...

outlook pst #5
Does anyone know if there is a limit as to how many pst files you can have in outloook 2003? I take it you mean how many open? Are you perchance wishing to create a seperate pst for each Contact? "rob" <taylorrob@battelle.org> wrote in message news:207801c4ac7e$331dbc20$a601280a@phx.gbl... > Does anyone know if there is a limit as to how many pst > files you can have in outloook 2003? ...

What is the Outlook 2007 "PST" file called and how do I find it?
In prior versions of Outlook, I could always find the Outlook user data by scanning for PST file type. I've got a machine in which an eval version was used and now expired. I want to save the data for the day when I might buy Outlook and pick up where I left off. I can't find a PST file. -- Al Dykes News is something someone wants to suppress, everything else is advertising. - Lord Northcliffe, publisher of the Daily Mail "Al Dykes" <adykes@panix.com> wrote in message news:helf5c$5ac$1@panix5.panix.com... > > > In prior ...

What was lost is found
Some of you may recall my frantic thrashing around here when I reinstalled my OS (Win XP) and had to reinstall Publisher 98 but could not find the installation disk. With a tweak here and a cludge there I was able to reinstall from the Publisher directory on the drive. (Don't ever install to the Windows/Program Files directory. Give each application its own root directory.) But the reinstall, though good enough to retrieve all my *.pub files and create new ones, lacks a few features, like hyphenation, spellcheck, etc. But today, what was lost is found. The installation disk turned ...

Delivering mails to a distribution group separately?
Hello! I�m using an Exchange 2000 Enterprise Server. Our mail accounts are hosted by a provider. The Clients are receiving there mails directly from the provider by using POP. In order to send mails to external addresses we use a single SMTP account known by the Exchange Server. This works beautyfully for ditribution groups with less than 250 receipients. With larger distribution groups we have got the problem that they are blocked by our provider. Does anybody know how to force Exchange to deliver the mails separately or in packages smaller than a determined value? Many Thanks Bernd ...

Outlook crashing when replying to email
I have 1 user in my organization whose Outlook 12 crashes sometimes when he replies to another e-mail. There is no rhyme or reason to when this happens that I can find. I have done a repair on his outlook, tried disabling all ADD-INS and some other things. Here are the errors I am getting in my event viewer: Application log: Faulting application outlook.exe, version 12.0.6514.5000, stamp 4a89dc70, faulting module mso.dll, version 12.0.6425.1000, stamp 49d65443, debug? 0, fault address 0x00194e6d. MS Office Diagnostics log: ID: 6, Application Name: Microsoft Office Outloo...

How to configure outlook from internet only mail to corporate/workgroup mail
Hello all Can anyone help me please. I have configured my outlook to internet only email. I now need to configure it to use corporate/workgroup email. Can someone help me please For information on choosing a support version or changing to the other support version, look here: http://www.slipstick.com/outlook/choosingmode.htm -- Russ Valentine [MVP-Outlook] "Mark Young" <ymark@optusnet.com.au> wrote in message news:07da01c3ba54$4b268260$a501280a@phx.gbl... > Hello all > > Can anyone help me please. I have configured my outlook > to internet only email. I...

new to windows mail
i am purely trying to use this program to respond to ads in craigslist. I am new to this program and have no idea how to set it up. When i click on the address of the ad i would like to respond to an error message pops up saying "the host 'yahoo' could not be found. Please verify that you have entered the server name correctly." Well how do I change the server name. Honestly, I just want to get this thing working so please help this not so computer savvy person. You may be asking the wrong question. Do you really want to get Windows Mail working, or do you just...

Outlook 2003 "synchronizing files"
I am trying to advise by email someone who uses Outlook 2003, who is complaining about an icon that appears with the message "synchronizing files" which slows down sending and receiving. All the info I can find related to this is to do with using an Exchange Server. This person is using POP3/SMTP. Any ideas? ...

ActiveSync and Ipaq to push e-mail?
Hi, I have Exchange 2003 SP2and would like to try the push feature of ActiveSync. I'm a noob on this, and we don't have any Windows Mobile phones yet. Can I use my IPAQ pocket PC via the Internet to do the same thing? I assume thats what a phone is doing? Thanks ...

2005 Deluxe
Upgraded from 2003. Seems like I've lost functionality. Can't find how to separate catagory entry between category and subcategory (all one entry now). Also can't find the MoneySide FollowUP Notes that I used to have on the home page. Am I not looking in the right place? Thanks. MoneySide has been gone since M04. You are, IIRC, the second person to post here having noticed. As to dual cat lists: see http://umpmfaq.info/faqdb.php?q=161. BTW, you are supposed to prefer single list. "Elliot" <Elliot@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:E9082426-5...

Mail preview in e-mail folders
Hi.... I've learned many years ago that the preview pane in email folders in outlook was a sin. The email had to be opened to be shown, and that could lead to the activation of malicious code. Even to day as I make new folders, the preview pane is automatically there. I have many, many email folders in my outlook 2007, all of which has gotten their preview pane reactivated after a recent hard disk crash. Now I wonder: Is using the preview pane lowering the security level? Is there an easy one step way to turn off the preview pane in all folders? Is there a way to prevent Outlook to ...

Exchange 5.5 disable mail relay
Hi, I have an Echange 5.5 server SP4 running on Windows 2000 server. I disabled relay but still get about 200 spam e- mails in my queue. I can delete all files under the out folder restart IMC and with 1 to 2 minutes my queue is full. I configured IMC for inbound messages until I find a fix. Please advise on what I need to do next Is the group account enabled - if it is disable it. The guest account allows mail to be sent anonymously even if relaying has been prohibited SColville "nathan@v-1.com" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:5b4f01c3ad28$c...

lost save file
I had a hard drive crash....was able to retrive everything from outlook express except my "SAVE FOLDERS"....I'm sure they are there...any ideas where I should look or what I need to do???? I really need the folders. Thanks Search for .eml files . . . . . "Tink" <Tink@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:468CD94A-33D3-45C1-8F1E-1DD5ADC164F2@microsoft.com... > I had a hard drive crash....was able to retrive everything from outlook > express except my "SAVE FOLDERS"....I'm sure they are there...any ideas > where...

Outlook 2003 signature grayed out
I am trying to remove a signature but under 'mail format' signature is 'grayed out'. My message format is html. Any ideas on what is wrong? thanks in advance. which editor are you using? -- Diane Poremsky [MVP - Outlook] Author, Teach Yourself Outlook 2003 in 24 Hours Coauthor, OneNote 2003 for Windows (Visual QuickStart Guide) Need Help with Common Tasks? http://www.outlook-tips.net/beginner/ Outlook Tips: http://www.outlook-tips.net/ Outlook & Exchange Solutions Center: http://www.slipstick.com Subscribe to Exchange Messaging Outlook newsletter: EMO-NEWSLETTER-SU...

Lost security on modified reports
It appears that access has been lost to modified reports. I checked security and access to the appropriate modified reports is selected, but I can not access them, nor can other users. We work in a Citrix environment and all users access the forms and reports from the server, not local workstations. I have unmarked and marked access and logged out and back in, but with no luck. Any suggestions? Have you tried using Advanced Security's Verify Security feature to check that all the security records are correct, valid and undamaged? It is worth a try. PS: You can also use Advan...