Lost Address Book when importing to Outlook

I recently installed and started using Outlook 2003.  I decided to import my address book from from Outlook Express 6. I did what I thought was the right thing...
File>Import and Export>Import Internet Mail and Addresses>Outlook Express 4.x, 5.x, 6.x and the radio button for Do not import duplicate items.
It imported my messages but not my address book, so I went ahead and manually entered the information for my contacts in Outlook. (Only 5 of them thank goodness so I remembered their info).
When I went back to look at Outlook Express my address book was gone!  I have another friend who has this same problem, however his address book is more extensive than mine and cannot possibly remember all of his contacts.  I have searched for .wab files, .pst files and a couple of other types of files that I have seen suggested throughout these threads even searching in hidden files and folders and the results keep coming up empty!
What did I (we) do wrong, and is there any way to try to recover these files?
Any help would be greatly appreciated.
BTW, i tried that website that kept popping up in here www.tomsterdam.com and that site reads like a set of crochet instructions.  grrr
0
reinboux (2)

Assuming that each of you are on Windows XP, not only do you have to
configure Explorer to show you all hidden/system files, but you also have to
configure the search to look for hidden/system files.  In any event, I like
opening a command prompt, getting to C:\ and then doing a search like this:

c:\>dir *.wab /a /s

Rather than do an import (which is one way of doing it), try starting the
Windows Address Book (wab.exe) and do an export to a Text (CSV) file.  The
option is something like File | Export | Other Address Book | Text.  At the
very least this would net you a file that can be imported into just about
anything including the contacts folder of Outlook.

--
Neo [MVP Outlook]
Due to the Swen virus, all e-mails sent to this account will be deleted

"Reinboux" <reinboux@npgcable.com> wrote in message
> I recently installed and started using Outlook 2003.  I decided to import
my address book from from Outlook Express 6. I did what I thought was the
right thing...
> File>Import and Export>Import Internet Mail and Addresses>Outlook Express
4.x, 5.x, 6.x and the radio button for Do not import duplicate items.
> It imported my messages but not my address book, so I went ahead and
manually entered the information for my contacts in Outlook. (Only 5 of them
thank goodness so I remembered their info).
> When I went back to look at Outlook Express my address book was gone!  I
have another friend who has this same problem, however his address book is
more extensive than mine and cannot possibly remember all of his contacts.
I have searched for .wab files, .pst files and a couple of other types of
files that I have seen suggested throughout these threads even searching in
hidden files and folders and the results keep coming up empty!
> What did I (we) do wrong, and is there any way to try to recover these
files?
> Any help would be greatly appreciated.
> BTW, i tried that website that kept popping up in here www.tomsterdam.com
and that site reads like a set of crochet instructions.  grrr

0
neo
12/27/2003 3:51:12 PM
1.     I have configured the search to look for hidden/system files, still nothing
2.     I opened the command prompt and tried what you suggested, I got an error that reads
'c:\dir' is not recognized as an internal or external command, operable program or batch file
3.     When I run wab.exe I get a window that should show my address book, but it is blank...this is what I meant by "my address book is lost"
Are there any other options that I may have, or am I just 'S.O.L.

     ----- neo [mvp outlook] wrote: ----

     Assuming that each of you are on Windows XP, not only do you have t
     configure Explorer to show you all hidden/system files, but you also have t
     configure the search to look for hidden/system files.  In any event, I lik
     opening a command prompt, getting to C:\ and then doing a search like this

     c:\>dir *.wab /a /

     Rather than do an import (which is one way of doing it), try starting th
     Windows Address Book (wab.exe) and do an export to a Text (CSV) file.  Th
     option is something like File | Export | Other Address Book | Text.  At th
     very least this would net you a file that can be imported into just abou
     anything including the contacts folder of Outlook

     --
     Neo [MVP Outlook
     Due to the Swen virus, all e-mails sent to this account will be delete
     w/out reading

     "Reinboux" <reinboux@npgcable.com> wrote in messag
     > I recently installed and started using Outlook 2003.  I decided to impor
     my address book from from Outlook Express 6. I did what I thought was th
     right thing..
     > File>Import and Export>Import Internet Mail and Addresses>Outlook Expres
     4.x, 5.x, 6.x and the radio button for Do not import duplicate items
     > It imported my messages but not my address book, so I went ahead an
     manually entered the information for my contacts in Outlook. (Only 5 of the
     thank goodness so I remembered their info)
     > When I went back to look at Outlook Express my address book was gone!
     have another friend who has this same problem, however his address book i
     more extensive than mine and cannot possibly remember all of his contacts
     I have searched for .wab files, .pst files and a couple of other types o
     files that I have seen suggested throughout these threads even searching i
     hidden files and folders and the results keep coming up empty
     > What did I (we) do wrong, and is there any way to try to recover thes
     files
     > Any help would be greatly appreciated
     > BTW, i tried that website that kept popping up in here www.tomsterdam.co
     and that site reads like a set of crochet instructions.  grr

0
reinboux (2)
12/27/2003 8:36:19 PM
Drop the "c:\>" part.  It should just be dir *.wab /a /s

I've never seen an import delete/wipe a *.wab.

--

> [...]
gone!  I
>      have another friend who has this same problem, however his address
book is
>      more extensive than mine and cannot possibly remember all of his
contacts.
>      I have searched for .wab files, .pst files and a couple of other
types of
>      files that I have seen suggested throughout these threads even
searching in
>      hidden files and folders and the results keep coming up empty!
>      > What did I (we) do wrong, and is there any way to try to recover
these
>      files?
>      > Any help would be greatly appreciated.
>      > BTW, i tried that website that kept popping up in here
www.tomsterdam.com
>      and that site reads like a set of crochet instructions.  grrr

12/28/2003 1:54:27 PM
Ok, last time.  I found the directory that you said.  All it did was the same thing as running wab.exe.  It opened up the Outlook Express address book, but as I stated before there are no entries in it.  There should have been 5 entries and they are no longer there.  I even try "Find" and put in the names or email addresses that should be there and it can't find them.
0
anonymous (74721)

Lost Formatting When tab is copied
My problem would seem to be very basic. I have a table that has values with dollars in columns and then a rate (i.e. one cell less another and then divide) in percentage format. When I copy an existing tab either into the same workbook or into a new workbook, many of my percent formats change to dollar format. This happens no matter what page I copy and it happens on pages that I am not even touching or copying. Often times these cells that lose their formatting are next to cells that are in dollar format that are pulling their data from pivot table. Could this have anything to do with it? ...

What is the Outlook 2007 "PST" file called and how do I find it?
In prior versions of Outlook, I could always find the Outlook user data by scanning for PST file type. I've got a machine in which an eval version was used and now expired. I want to save the data for the day when I might buy Outlook and pick up where I left off. I can't find a PST file. -- Al Dykes News is something someone wants to suppress, everything else is advertising. - Lord Northcliffe, publisher of the Daily Mail "Al Dykes" <adykes@panix.com> wrote in message news:helf5c$5ac$1@panix5.panix.com... > > > In prior ...

Outlook crashing when replying to email
I have 1 user in my organization whose Outlook 12 crashes sometimes when he replies to another e-mail. There is no rhyme or reason to when this happens that I can find. I have done a repair on his outlook, tried disabling all ADD-INS and some other things. Here are the errors I am getting in my event viewer: Application log: Faulting application outlook.exe, version 12.0.6514.5000, stamp 4a89dc70, faulting module mso.dll, version 12.0.6425.1000, stamp 49d65443, debug? 0, fault address 0x00194e6d. MS Office Diagnostics log: ID: 6, Application Name: Microsoft Office Outloo...

What was lost is found
Some of you may recall my frantic thrashing around here when I reinstalled my OS (Win XP) and had to reinstall Publisher 98 but could not find the installation disk. With a tweak here and a cludge there I was able to reinstall from the Publisher directory on the drive. (Don't ever install to the Windows/Program Files directory. Give each application its own root directory.) But the reinstall, though good enough to retrieve all my *.pub files and create new ones, lacks a few features, like hyphenation, spellcheck, etc. But today, what was lost is found. The installation disk turned ...

outlook pst #5
Does anyone know if there is a limit as to how many pst files you can have in outloook 2003? I take it you mean how many open? Are you perchance wishing to create a seperate pst for each Contact? "rob" <taylorrob@battelle.org> wrote in message news:207801c4ac7e$331dbc20$a601280a@phx.gbl... > Does anyone know if there is a limit as to how many pst > files you can have in outloook 2003? ...

cannot import contacts from 2K to 2K3
My old computer ran office 2000, my new computer runs office 2003. I wanted to import all data from my old outlook to my new outlook. I copied the .PST file to new computer and imported the data. However, the only data that is availabe is my mail. There is not contact or task data. It is not even shown in the import window. Where would I find my contact data? Is it stored in the PST file? What can I do to access my contact data? Thanks, Mike. Answered your other post. -- Russ Valentine [MVP-Outlook] "Mike" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:3...

After importing from 2004 to 2008, many e-mails are missing!
Version: 2008 Operating System: Mac OS X 10.6 (Snow Leopard) Processor: Intel Email Client: pop I just installed Office 2008 Business Edition on my Mac. When I opened Entourage, it automatically knew my account information and appears to have transferred e-mails from the former 2004 edition over. However, there were several e-mails missing. <br><br>I went to File > Import and followed the prompts to bring everything from 2004 over, but there are still weeks worth of e-mails MISSING entirely. Additionally, there are several calendar items that are missing as well. <br&...

Server could not be found in Outlook
I can receive / send e-mail messages on another program - but does not work in Outlook. Error message: Server could not be found SMTP server:freeserve Ox800ccc0d and Server could not be found Freeserve POP3 server 0x800ccc0d ...

Payee is paid using the address information
Money 2003: I believe that the notice "this payee is paid using the address information" when setting up "MSN Bill Pay - Online Billing Details" means that Checkfree/MSN Bill Pay actually prints out a check and mails it to the payee, right? It seems that, lately, my credit card companies have been changing their remit-to address more frequently. With various cards of mine, and my partner's, I end up having to double-check ALL of the payee addresses every month, and changing one of them on average every other month or so. This has become a frustration that I don...

How to get local ip address
Is there anyone know the API to get local machine ip address ? Use gethostbyname(name) can make it. "EagleChen" <xx@xx> ���g��l��s�D:eAO7ftO0DHA.548@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl... > Is there anyone know the API to get local machine ip address ? > > Look at the docs for the IP Helper interfaces. These at least make it possible to get all IP addresses on multi-homed hosts. "EagleChen" <xx@xx> wrote in message news:eAO7ftO0DHA.548@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl... > Is there anyone know the API to get local machine ip address ? > > you can use the geth...

Outlook 2003
I used to use Outlook Express and was able to modify an email message's HTML source code. I can't seem to find a way to do that using Outlook. Does anyone know how that can be done? Am I missing a setting somewhere? Thank you, Tracy Outlook doesn't have a source editor. You can edit it in another html editor and paste into OL. -- Diane Poremsky [MVP - Outlook] Author, Teach Yourself Outlook 2003 in 24 Hours Coauthor, OneNote 2003 for Windows (Visual QuickStart Guide) Outlook Tips: http://www.outlook-tips.net/ Outlook & Exchange Solutions Center: http://www.slipstic...

Is it possible to import footnotes with a Word document?
I have a large Word document with footnotes that needs to be imported into Publisher. Can the footnotes be transferred as well? I have looked in the Help and online about this, and found nothing. Thank you, Amy Publisher does support footnotes. Large documents are best done in Word. -- Mary Sauer MSFT MVP http://office.microsoft.com/ http://msauer.mvps.org/ news://msnews.microsoft.com "Amy" <Amy@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:390808F5-DD21-4001-B886-5457532B3C93@microsoft.com... >I have a large Word document with footnotes that needs to be impor...

2005 Deluxe
Upgraded from 2003. Seems like I've lost functionality. Can't find how to separate catagory entry between category and subcategory (all one entry now). Also can't find the MoneySide FollowUP Notes that I used to have on the home page. Am I not looking in the right place? Thanks. MoneySide has been gone since M04. You are, IIRC, the second person to post here having noticed. As to dual cat lists: see http://umpmfaq.info/faqdb.php?q=161. BTW, you are supposed to prefer single list. "Elliot" <Elliot@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:E9082426-5...

lost save file
I had a hard drive crash....was able to retrive everything from outlook express except my "SAVE FOLDERS"....I'm sure they are there...any ideas where I should look or what I need to do???? I really need the folders. Thanks Search for .eml files . . . . . "Tink" <Tink@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:468CD94A-33D3-45C1-8F1E-1DD5ADC164F2@microsoft.com... > I had a hard drive crash....was able to retrive everything from outlook > express except my "SAVE FOLDERS"....I'm sure they are there...any ideas > where...

Importing CRM 3.0 Workflows in CRM 4.0?
Is there anyway to do this? Thanks I believe that you should Upgrade them to the CRM 4.0 (can do on test system )and then import in your CRM 4.0 production system. ------ Aamir Blog = http://mscrmsupport.wordpress.com/ On Sep 4, 5:42 pm, Aamir Bashir <whatels...@gmail.com> wrote: > I believe that you should Upgrade them to the CRM 4.0 (can do on test > system )and then import in your CRM 4.0 production system. > > ------ > Aamir > > Blog =http://mscrmsupport.wordpress.com/ u must do only upgradation.When u upgrade the workflows from CRM 3.0 to CRM 4.0 some ch...

Outlook 2003 signature grayed out
I am trying to remove a signature but under 'mail format' signature is 'grayed out'. My message format is html. Any ideas on what is wrong? thanks in advance. which editor are you using? -- Diane Poremsky [MVP - Outlook] Author, Teach Yourself Outlook 2003 in 24 Hours Coauthor, OneNote 2003 for Windows (Visual QuickStart Guide) Need Help with Common Tasks? http://www.outlook-tips.net/beginner/ Outlook Tips: http://www.outlook-tips.net/ Outlook & Exchange Solutions Center: http://www.slipstick.com Subscribe to Exchange Messaging Outlook newsletter: EMO-NEWSLETTER-SU...

Error creating new message. May be due to incorrect email address.
Contact data imported into Contact of Outlook 2002 in *.csv format. Error goes away after the email Display As: information is deleted. Thanks, Jim ...

Lost Outlook email
----------------------------------------------------------------------- A poll associated with this post was created, to vote and see th results, please visit http://www.outlookforum.com/forums/showthread.php?threadid=5370 ----------------------------------------------------------------------- Question: Am I hosed - YE - PROBABL - MAYB - N ----------------------------------------------------------------------- I downloaded my email from the server, got a message that some of th rest of my mail couldn't be retrieved, closed outlook, re-opened it and the messages I had already retrieved ...

Outlook not opening, previous suggestions don't work
Hi I'm having problems with Outlook 2k AND Outlook 97, neither of which will open on my Windows XP system. I have run Outlook 2k for some time now with no problem until a session of installing some Hotfixes. The next day it wouldn't open. I tried '97 on the offchance that would work but got the same problem. I have a 2 PC network and I link to the .PST file on the other PC (outlook is fine on there). I have tried the suggestions to the other people on this list but to no avail. Any help would be much appreciated as I just can't get to the bottom of it. Many thanks Mark Wh...

Lost security on modified reports
It appears that access has been lost to modified reports. I checked security and access to the appropriate modified reports is selected, but I can not access them, nor can other users. We work in a Citrix environment and all users access the forms and reports from the server, not local workstations. I have unmarked and marked access and logged out and back in, but with no luck. Any suggestions? Have you tried using Advanced Security's Verify Security feature to check that all the security records are correct, valid and undamaged? It is worth a try. PS: You can also use Advan...

outlook 2003 to 2007
I have Outlook 2003 on an XP machine with large PST file - multiple accounts, many folders etc. Next to it is Outlook 2007 on a W7 machine with new, empty PST file. What's the best way to get my large PST file in the right place on my W7 machine?. I can see the location of the PST file on W7 via search but can't seem to get there via Explorer because the folder 'AppData' isn't visible on the folder list under my username app data is a hidden folder - it should open if you type %appdata% in the start search field and press enter. You can put the pst anywhere...

Import messages from Outlook Express 5 to 6
How can I import messages & folders from Version 5 to version 6? This newsgroup is for support of Outlook 97, 98, 2000 & 2002 from the Office family for Windows PCs. For Outlook Express (OE) support try posting in one of these newsgroups: microsoft.public.inetexplorer.ie4.outlookexpress for OE 4.x microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie5.outlookexpress for OE 5.x http://support.microsoft.com/newsgroups/default.aspx?ICP=GSS3&NewsGroup=microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie5.outlookexpress&SLCID=US&sd=GN&id=fh;en-us;newsgroupsmicrosoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie...

Outlook 2002 and OWA
I was just wondering if there was any way to use the outlook client to connect to OWA (bypassing the use of the web browser totally). I use Outlook to connect to my HotMail this way and find that it would be much easier for all my users to do this. Will this functionality be included in Exchange2003 by chance? thanks Robert Crooks Computer & Network Systems Administrator Ivaco Rolling Mills ...

Deleting e-mail addresses not in your address book
Dear All, I have a few address that pop up (using Outlook 2003) when I began typing in the To field that I do not want to have. For example it looks like a co-worker may have e- mailed somthing to me from a home address so when I am attempting to send him something that home address pops up first - I don't want it there. I also have a few co- workers who are not working with me but still pop up from the list. These people ARE NOT in my address book so I am not sure how to get rid of these addresses (or how they got there for that matter...) Any help would be greatley appreicated....

Sending to contacts with more than one email address
This happens when you have a contact with more than one email address. If you type their shortcut in the TO line, Outlook will not resolve the email address since it sees 2 of them. Also if try and select from the list, you will now see 2 entries. Previous versions of Outlook defaulted to the first address. Is there anyway to get back to having the "default email address" be the one that comes up. Thanx - Amine ...