Looking for a utility to repair pst file

Anyone out there come across a utility to repair a pst file yet? Mine was
simply copied while Outlook was open.

Scanpst wont repair it (nor will ontrack's software or pst19upg.exe unless
anyone knows how to run this utility properly)

This must be a VERY common problem with a known set of symptoms and one
which must need repairing in exactly the same way quite often?

I am using the version from Office XP on Windows XP but can transfer it to a
Mac if it helps?

news.microsoft.com <fountainpen@amexol.net> wrote:

> Anyone out there come across a utility to repair a pst file yet? Mine
> was simply copied while Outlook was open.
>
> Scanpst wont repair it (nor will ontrack's software or pst19upg.exe
> unless anyone knows how to run this utility properly)

It might not be repairable, but a third party tool may help.
http://www.google.com/search?q=%2Brepair+%2Bpst
--
Brian Tillman
0

Doesn't anyone know of a utliity which works for this problem please?

> http://www.google.com/search?q=%2Brepair+%2Bpst

Using the links that Brian supplied is the same method most of us use to
find utilities.  Get going.

--�
Milly Staples [MVP - Outlook]

After furious head scratching, news.microsoft.com asked:

| Unfortunately it gives 826,000 responses which you laboriously have
| to go through to ascertain slowly that they wont do what should be
| this simple and common job
|
| Doesn't anyone know of a utliity which works for this problem please?
|
|| http://www.google.com/search?q=%2Brepair+%2Bpst

0
MillyS (3228)
5/4/2005 6:00:42 AM
I did and when I use reasonable exclusions the results are 68 of which only
two pages show with no reference to any software which can cure this common
problem. That was why I asked the question about whether any expert in this
particular software knows of any cure for this problem which is the point of
a group such as this: I know and knew at all times that I can do a search on
google and as I mentioned did one before asking the question.

"Milly Staples [MVP - Outlook]"
<MillyS@donteventhinkaboutmailingmeatmvps.org> wrote in message
> Using the links that Brian supplied is the same method most of us use to
> find utilities.  Get going.
>
> --�
> Milly Staples [MVP - Outlook]

> After furious head scratching, news.microsoft.com asked:
>
> | Unfortunately it gives 826,000 responses which you laboriously have
> | to go through to ascertain slowly that they wont do what should be
> | this simple and common job
> |
> | Doesn't anyone know of a utliity which works for this problem please?
> |
> || http://www.google.com/search?q=%2Brepair+%2Bpst

news.microsoft.com <fountainpen@amexol.net> wrote:

> I did and when I use reasonable exclusions the results are 68 of
> which only two pages show with no reference to any software which can
> cure this common problem.

You seem to think that one fix would work in all cases.  The problem is that
any number of things can be wrong with a PST that was copied while it was
still open.  Fixing it, in many cases, is flat-out impossible, depending on
what data had still to be written at the time of the copy.  It may be a
common _class_ of problems, but it's not always the _same_ problem.
--
Brian Tillman

0
tillman1952 (16053)
5/4/2005 12:54:09 PM
No, you are right, I Hadnt realised that: Do you therefore know if there is
any documentation on the Microsoft site as to available switches with
scanpst which might be of any use? I cant beleive that any fix program
should take a 400 MB file and return a repaired 400 mb file which is
completely empty: It must be doing something wrong

> The problem is that  any number of things can be wrong with a PST that was
copied while it was
> still open.

news.microsoft.com <fountainpen@amexol.net> wrote:

> No, you are right, I Hadnt realised that: Do you therefore know if
> there is any documentation on the Microsoft site as to available
> switches with scanpst which might be of any use? I cant beleive that
> any fix program should take a 400 MB file and return a repaired 400
> mb file which is completely empty: It must be doing something wrong

As far as I can tell, SCANPST supports no command line switches.  I just
tried the usual approaches to discovering what they might be (i.e.
SCANPST.EXE /?, SCANPST.EXE -h, and SCANPST.EXE x) and it appears it ignores
anything on the command line.
--
Brian Tillman

0
tillman1952 (16053)
5/6/2005 1:56:19 PM
One of the links you suggested said that there was some way of recovering a
corrupted pst file using scanpst by running scandisk on it before scanpst:

I didn't know you could run scandisk on a file and obviously it has run lots
of times on the drive containing the file (as has NDD) and returned no
results. Do you know anything about how to repair a file using scandisk?

news.microsoft.com <fountainpen@amexol.net> wrote:

> One of the links you suggested said that there was some way of
> recovering a corrupted pst file using scanpst by running scandisk on
> it before scanpst:
>
> I didn't know you could run scandisk on a file and obviously it has
> run lots of times on the drive containing the file (as has NDD) and
> returned no results. Do you know anything about how to repair a file
> using scandisk?

I don't think the link suggests that you can run scandisk on a file.  I
believe it means to say is that you should run scandisk on the entire drive
before running scanpst on the file.

0
tillman1952 (16053)
5/9/2005 1:21:28 PM
An outlookfix program is being beta tested right now. Go to:
http://www.cimaware.com/main/products/outlookfix-free.php
for a free recovery of your damaged PST file.

"news.microsoft.com" wrote:

> Anyone out there come across a utility to repair a pst file yet? Mine was
> simply copied while Outlook was open.
>
> Scanpst wont repair it (nor will ontrack's software or pst19upg.exe unless
> anyone knows how to run this utility properly)
>
> This must be a VERY common problem with a known set of symptoms and one
> which must need repairing in exactly the same way quite often?
>
> I am using the version from Office XP on Windows XP but can transfer it to a
> Mac if it helps?

Users are sure to find in 'repair pst'
(http://www.oemailrecovery.com/pst-repair.html) and 'email repair'
(http://www.mail-repair.com/email-repair.html) tool, simple yet
versatile, to solve potential problems and stay in control of personal
data.

--
outlook

Users are sure to find in 'repair pst
(http://www.oemailrecovery.com/pst-repair.html) and 'email repair
(http://www.mail-repair.com/email-repair.html) tool, simple ye
versatile, to solve potential problems and stay in control of persona
data

--
outloo
outlook's Profile: http://helpfeeds.com/member.php?userid=122

All my icons look the same (except IE8 and the recycle bin)
i cant open any windows...when i click on them the open with window pops up and wants me to pick wat i want to open it with...i can only get on the internet in safe mode with networking. and when i try to open...for example paint it says invalid bitmap, or its format is not currently supported and other windows wont even open. got any ideas on how i can fix this?? On Sun, 30 May 2010 06:54:01 -0700, xxkoreanxx wrote in message <news:999F2CE9-8E21-47DC-8BA4-BAC1F1329F6E@microsoft.com>: > i cant open any windows...when i click on them the open with window pops up > a...

Looking for feedback
Hey everyone just started my own business doing consulting / training for Microsoft Outlook please check out my site www.outlookchallenged.com and provide any suggestions / feedback please. Any advice is good advice at this point. Thanks -- www.outlookchallenged.com Br Sense <outlookhelp@ftard.com> wrote: > Hey everyone just started my own business doing consulting / training > for Microsoft Outlook please check out my site > www.outlookchallenged.com and provide any suggestions / feedback > please. Any advice is good advice at this point. The best advice I have to offer ...

Looking for CRM Solution
Does anyone use, or has anyone encountered, a CRM based solution used for residentail, multifamily property management? On Apr 28, 12:55=A0pm, MrB <M...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: > Does anyone use, or has anyone encountered, a CRM based solution used for > residentail, multifamily property management? The beauty of Microsoft CRM is that it can be customized for any business in any industry. It's ability to be customized using front- end tools (not within code) is , as far as I know, unparalleled by any other software package. You have the ability to create new entiti...

"All files"
I currently hyperlink PDF files to records within a database. When actioning a hyperlink, a "Link to file" box appears, the bottom "Files of Type" dialog shows "Office Files". I have to change this everytime to "All Files" so that files can be associated with the PDF. Is there a solution for the PDF files to become the default? Use the API found at http://www.mvps.org/access/api/api0001.htm to call your file dialog. As you will see you can control your strFilter to control which file types to display/filter. -- Hope this helps, Daniel Pin...

MRU file crashes
In my MDI CRichEditDoc/View app, if I try to open a Most Recently Used file from the menu and it has been deleted then my program crashes! I've spent hours tonight trying to see what is going wrong and I don't seem to be able to remedy the problem. I've been stepping through CWinApp::OpenDocumentFile() and thought that overriding my OnOpenDocument() might fix it but it doesn't: BOOL CMyRichEdDoc::OnOpenDocument(LPCTSTR lpszPathName) { if(!GetFile(lpszPathName, CFile::modeRead, NULL) return FALSE; if(!CRichEditDoc::OnOpenDocument(lpszPathName)) return FALSE; ...

compare.xla utility
I found the compare utility via some archives out here. This place is the BEST in terms of answering questions. The utility is from the website...http://www.cpearson.com/excel/whatsnew.htm My question is this. Where can I put this utility, macro, so that it is available all the time within Excel??? Every time I want to use it, I have to re-open it. I'd LOVE it if the "Compare Worksheets" option existed under the Tools all the time. Let me know. Thanks! hi This is add-in and you can do this to open it each time youy open Excel Tools>Add-ins Browse to the xla Ok Mark ...

Unable to log into file
I read that I could not sign up for Experian if I updated a 2004 file. So I created a new 2005 with my current passport login/password. After I created my Experian account, I then went and removed online access to that file (2005). However when I try to log back into my original file, I enter the password and it begins to log in and then the password just goes blank with no error message. I have verified that no accounts are online, I have removed the passport login using Password Manager from my new 2005 account, but I still can not log back into my updated 2004 original money f...

SBS 2008 File Transfer
Greetings, I am running SBS2008 on an HP ML370 G6 server. I have a total of 6 Hard drives (2 SAS drives, and 4 SATA drives). The 2 SAS drives are raided together with Raid 0 and SBS2008 is running off that raid. The 4 SATA drives are are raided into 2 drives with Raid 0 as well (2 sata drives / drive). The server now has 3 seperate drives (C,D,E). My problem is that when copying large files from C to D drive or anywhere D to E drive or any drive combination, speeds are fast, no problem. When copying files to an external USB drive, it takes hours, 16 hours for 175GIG of...

File Importing
Hello I am creating a spreadsheet in which I need to import 5 data files onto separate pages. I am able to import them as text files using the following commands I found on the Excel help site. My question is: is there a way to reference a specific cell containing the entire filename, thus automating the entire process, instead of just opening the "open dialog" window and having to manually select the file to open? I am using Excel 2002 on an XP-Pro system. Thanks for any help you can offer. Dim DestBook As Workbook, SourceBook As Workbook Dim DestCell As Range ...

Can't open files received in Microsoft Outlook e-mail
When I get an attached Excel file and double click on the icon, I get the option box to either open or save. If I try to open the file, Excel opens up but the file will not. The message I get is that the system "can't find the file". If I save it to the hard drive, I can then go open it. HELP! I would much rather open the file to see whether it is worth saving. Thanks if you can help me on this. Marshall In Excel, go to Tools Options General and uncheck Ignore other applications "Marshall" <mlounsb@clemson.edu> wrote in message news:990101c4972e$c...

How to delete of archive log files! Emergency!
My Windows 2003 Exchange server went down this morning. The reason was HD space. When looking at the HD I found a total of 39 GB used by Exxxx.log files in the First Storage Group. There are log files as old as 9/28/2004. There are a total of 8153 log file and each one takes 5 MB. My question is how can I delete some, a range or all of these files? If you are able to help please advise and reply to this e-mail. Thank you in advance for your help! On Thu, 21 Jul 2005 10:21:05 -0700, DMI <DMI@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: >My Windows 2003 Exchange server went down this ...

QuickBooks Files
Is there a way to import QuickBooks Files into Money? In microsoft.public.money, Brad Eck wrote: >Is there a way to import QuickBooks Files into Money? No. NO "Brad Eck" <brad.eck@sitesdynamic.com> wrote in message news:ea9c01c3f0a5$1dbc36d0$a501280a@phx.gbl... > Is there a way to import QuickBooks Files into Money? How painful is that! So how do they expect to bring customers into this thing? >-----Original Message----- >NO > >"Brad Eck" <brad.eck@sitesdynamic.com> wrote in message >news:ea9c01c3f0a5$1dbc36d0$a501280a@phx.gbl... ...

=COUNTA() with multiple look-up
Hi All, I would like to count the number of items that have a value "AAA" in column A and an amount >0 in column B. As I am not quite sure how to incorporate two look-ups in a counta formula I was wondering if anyone can give me the formula? Many thanks! Rgds, Robert Try something like this: =SUMPRODUCT((A1:A100="AAA")*(B1:B100>0)) or....if there may be some text cells in B1:B100 interspersed with the numbers =SUMPRODUCT((A1:A100="AAA")*ISNUMBER(B1:B100)*(B1:B100>0)) Is that something you can work with? *********** Regards, Ron XL2002, WinXP &...

can I edit a picture to look faded?
I want to edit my picture to be faded so I can use it as background with text over it. "deborahm" <deborahm@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:4D93DD63-8553-447D-A0AC-44EE0E1BD9B3@microsoft.com... > I want to edit my picture to be faded so I can use it as background with > text > over it. In Publisher you can do it one of two ways. For both ways start by inserting the picture. Method 1, right click on picture and select Format Picture, click on picture tab, then click on the dropdown for Color under Image Control and select wash...

data look up and return values across a row
I have a list in one spreadsheet, we'll call it 'spreadsheet A' that I need to cross reference with another larger spreadsheet, which we'll call 'spreadsheet B'. I'd like to remove everything from B that isn't on A. Is there an easy way of doing that? Chip Pearson has lots of info about working with duplicates at: http://www.cpearson.com/excel/duplicat.htm Betsey wrote: > > I have a list in one spreadsheet, we'll call it 'spreadsheet A' that I need > to cross reference with another larger spreadsheet, which we'll call > &#...

Opening xlsx files in Excel 2000
I'm getting an error opening an xlsx file in Excel 2000. I have tried installing the 2007 Compatibility pack. I uninstalled and reinstalled Excel 2000 and the Compatibility pack. Ironically I've gotten it to work on another of my computers (same version of Excel) but can't seem to get it to work on my desktop. Should be a simple fix since this is an "old" problem but I can't seem to figure it out. Any help would be appreciated. You neglected to include the error message, exact phrasing is usually important too. MikeP wrote: > I'm gett...

Looking for basic multiplaction formula
HI ALL, I'm trying to multiply cells d5-d9 by cells a5-a9 and put the answer in cells d14 - d18 ( using caps ) I have tried =(D5*A5) in d14 and then pulling it down to d18 PLEASE HELP ME IVE BEEN AT THIS FOR AN HOUR AND A HALF!! Sounds to me like you had it right... what's not working? In cell D14 enter "=D5*A5" Copy that and paste it in cells D15 to D18. Ken Puls, CMA - Microsoft MVP (Excel) www.excelguru.ca Concarp wrote: > HI ALL, > I'm trying to multiply cells d5-d9 by cells a5-a9 and > put the answer in cells d14 - d18 ( using caps ) > ...

Looking for sheet to handle MPG, etc
HI I am looking for a sheet to handle gas mileage. things like MPG etc. It would be great to have a ready made sheet to handle this info thanks supermari -- Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com This shouldn't be too difficult unless you attended college at Texas A&M =miles driven/gallons used -- Don Guillett SalesAid Software donaldb@281.com "supermario >" <<supermario.1a3sk4@excelforum-nospam.com> wrote in message news:supermario.1a3sk4@excelforum-nospam.com... > HI > I am looking for a sheet to handle gas mileage. > things like MPG etc. &g...

My Publisher Files are Too Large
When I do a mail merge in a Publisher file and print to a .pdf the resulting file becomes way too large. Similarly, when I take a file to Kinko's to print on their computer (no .pdf involved) the file is so large that they can only print a few at a time. After managing to set up OE-QuoteFix on his new PC, Ed reads a message from Jason <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com>... > When I do a mail merge in a Publisher file and print to > a .pdf the resulting file becomes way too large. > Similarly, when I take a file to Kinko's to print on > their computer (no .p...

From Access Query to Excel and Open the File
Originally I posted this in the Access Forum and was told doing it this way will not work. Does anyone on this side know how to do this?? See Original Post below: Thanks, Hans I have imported the query into Excel and able to save it, but I have people that complained about having to find the file somewhere.... How would I run this query and NOT save to My Documents, but create a new Excel file and just open it, leaving the save option to the user? Also, can you do Excel cell formatting inside the VBA/Access code? DoCmd.OpenQuery "ISS Open Position Query", acViewNormal, acEdit ...

Excel file size limitation
I've got someone trying to work with a 400MB Excel spreadsheet using Office 2007. Excel keeps crashing when trying to modify and then save the file. Outlook goes into Not Responding mode. The file itself doesn't contain all that much data, however, it does contain many high-res images cropped to fit into a cell. The pictures have been compressed, however the file size doesn't change all that much. I was under the impression that the PC itself perhaps didn't have enough RAM memory. Tried working with the file from a PC having 4GB or RAM - same result. I...

look up who is connected
hello i would like to check if any pc connects to my xp box which it shares a lot of dirs. can powershell do the job and how? not sure in PS but "netstat" could do this for you. regards Ramazan "ryan" <ryanlihk@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:eKobVuVrKHA.4220@TK2MSFTNGP05.phx.gbl... > hello > > i would like to check if any pc connects to my xp box which it shares a > lot of dirs. > > can powershell do the job and how? thanks On 2/15/2010 2:21 AM, RCan wrote: > not sure in PS but "netstat" could do this...

Unusually large file
Hello, I have a workbook that is over 500kb but only contains about 17kb of text data. When I cut and paste out the text data the file size remains about the same. When I delete the sheet after cutting out the text data I receive the warning that there may be data on the sheet although none is visible. After deleting the sheet the file size is reduced by the ~500kb. Can data be hidden from view? There are no hidden rows or columns. Am I missing something. Any suggestions are appreciated. Hi see: http://www.contextures.com/xlfaqApp.html#Unused -- Regards Frank Kabel Frankfurt...

Look at this package from M$
--ivtelxoethnivzpa Content-Type: multipart/related; boundary="owjfpbnibkp"; type="multipart/alternative" --owjfpbnibkp Content-Type: multipart/alternative; boundary="rubabijkdwz" --rubabijkdwz Content-Type: text/plain Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable MS Partner this is the latest version of security update, the "October 2003, Cumulative Patch" update which resolves all known security vulnerabilities affecting MS Internet Explorer, MS Outlook and MS Outlook Express. Install now to help maintain the security of your computer from these vuln...

Can I change a PDF to a Publisher File to make changes?
Does anyone know if I can change a PDF file to a Publisher File to make changes? Yes, I know. No, you can't. The most you might be able to do is copy/paste text, then edit. An FYI - this question or something very similar has been asked and answered three times so far today. But don't despair, there are still three hours before the clock strikes 12, so it's likely a couple more people will ask the same thing. :-( Mike dnthmn515 wrote: > Does anyone know if I can change a PDF file to a Publisher File to make > changes? >-----Original Message----- >Does any...