Long URLs truncated on Outlook 2002?

Hello,

We have an internal application which produces very long URLs. It send
them via SMTP to users' mailboxes. Some users have Exchange 2003
mailboxes with Outlook 2002 client, others use a third-party server
with its own client.

A message sent to an Outlook 2002 user gives a truncated URL that is
no longer valid; the same message sent to one of the other
mailserver's users is not truncated and opens correctly.

How can we stop Outlook from truncating URLs please? It seems to be at
char 80.

Thanks,

- Alan.
0
bruguy (167)

is it truncated or wrapped to the next line?  Are you removing extra line
breaks?  (http://support.microsoft.com/kb/287816)

--
Diane Poremsky [MVP - Outlook]

Outlook Tips by email:

"Alan" <bruguy@gmail.com> wrote in message
> Hello,
>
> We have an internal application which produces very long URLs. It send
> them via SMTP to users' mailboxes. Some users have Exchange 2003
> mailboxes with Outlook 2002 client, others use a third-party server
> with its own client.
>
> A message sent to an Outlook 2002 user gives a truncated URL that is
> no longer valid; the same message sent to one of the other
> mailserver's users is not truncated and opens correctly.
>
> How can we stop Outlook from truncating URLs please? It seems to be at
> char 80.
>
> Thanks,
>
> - Alan.

0
outlookmvp (5838)
9/8/2009 2:55:23 AM
The URL appears as a "square" of text in the message. The square is
shorter compared to the window's width. We can click on the banner to
put back line breaks but it makes no difference, the URL is really
mangled.

Thanks.

On Sep 8, 4:55=A0am, "Diane Poremsky [MVP]" <outlook...@msn.com> wrote:
> is it truncated or wrapped to the next line? =A0Are you removing extra li=
ne
> breaks? =A0(http://support.microsoft.com/kb/287816)
>
> --
> Diane Poremsky [MVP - Outlook]
> Outlook Tips:http://www.outlook-tips.net/
> Outlook & Exchange Solutions Center:http://www.slipstick.com
>
> Outlook Tips by email:
> mailto:dailytips-subscribe-requ...@lists.outlooktips.net

> mailto:EMO-NEWSLETTER-SUBSCRIBE-REQU...@PEACH.EASE.LSOFT.COM
>
> "Alan" <bru...@gmail.com> wrote in message

> > Hello,
>
> > We have an internal application which produces very long URLs. It send
> > them via SMTP to users' mailboxes. Some users have Exchange 2003
> > mailboxes with Outlook 2002 client, others use a third-party server
> > with its own client.
>
> > A message sent to an Outlook 2002 user gives a truncated URL that is
> > no longer valid; the same message sent to one of the other
> > mailserver's users is not truncated and opens correctly.
>
> > How can we stop Outlook from truncating URLs please? It seems to be at
> > char 80.
>
> > Thanks,
>
> > - Alan.

0
bruguy (167)
9/8/2009 10:29:24 AM
"Alan" <bruguy@gmail.com> wrote in message

> A message sent to an Outlook 2002 user gives a truncated URL that is
> no longer valid; the same message sent to one of the other
> mailserver's users is not truncated and opens correctly.
>
> How can we stop Outlook from truncating URLs please? It seems to be at
> char 80.

I've never seen a single instance of Outlook truncating a URL.  I've been
wrapping before, but never truncating.  On the sending side, enclose the URL
in <...> to see if that helps.
--
Brian Tillman [MVP-Outlook]

0
tillman1952 (16052)
9/8/2009 11:57:19 AM
Is the full URL present or is it shortened? Outlook doesn't chop off text -
it may break the URL at 76 or so characters if you use plain text (this
length is usually controlled by the sender's mail client) but the balance
wraps to the next line.  Hitting forward or reply and backspacing to remove
the end-of-line will fix it.

To prevent it, the sender needs to use Quotable-printable or HTML
formatting.

--

> The URL appears as a "square" of text in the message. The square is
> shorter compared to the window's width. We can click on the banner to
> put back line breaks but it makes no difference, the URL is really
> mangled.
>
> Thanks.
>

> On Sep 8, 4:55 am, "Diane Poremsky [MVP]" <outlook...@msn.com> wrote:
>> is it truncated or wrapped to the next line?  Are you removing extra line
>> breaks?  (http://support.microsoft.com/kb/287816)
>>
>> --
>> Diane Poremsky [MVP - Outlook]
>> Outlook Tips:http://www.outlook-tips.net/
>> Outlook & Exchange Solutions Center:http://www.slipstick.com
>>
>> Outlook Tips by email:
>> mailto:dailytips-subscribe-requ...@lists.outlooktips.net

>> mailto:EMO-NEWSLETTER-SUBSCRIBE-REQU...@PEACH.EASE.LSOFT.COM
>>
>> "Alan" <bru...@gmail.com> wrote in message

>> > Hello,
>>
>> > We have an internal application which produces very long URLs. It send
>> > them via SMTP to users' mailboxes. Some users have Exchange 2003
>> > mailboxes with Outlook 2002 client, others use a third-party server
>> > with its own client.
>>
>> > A message sent to an Outlook 2002 user gives a truncated URL that is
>> > no longer valid; the same message sent to one of the other
>> > mailserver's users is not truncated and opens correctly.
>>
>> > How can we stop Outlook from truncating URLs please? It seems to be at
>> > char 80.
>>
>> > Thanks,
>>
>> > - Alan.

0
outlookmvp (5838)

Outlook 2000 after XP SP2 update
I have had unstable use of OUtlook 2000 after the SP2 update and gone back to SP1. ANy tips? Jack Storlie <JStorlie@charter.net> wrote: > I have had unstable use of OUtlook 2000 after the SP2 > update and gone back to SP1. ANy tips? Describe the instability. Did you read the SP2-related articles on Microsoft's web site prior to installing it? -- Brian Tillman ...

Synchronizing Outlook
Greetings all, We have networked (Wi- Fi) 3 PC's and all is working OK. The problem we have, is how do we synchronize the emails, that are sent and received, so that all three PC's have the same information. Two of the PC's are Desk Tops and 1 is a note book. All are using Windows XP Pro. Email program is Outlook 2000. Can somebody please help? Thanks in advance Aubrey Without Exchange server, this isn't so easy. However, see http://www.slipstick.com/outlook/sync.htm Aubrey wrote: > Greetings all, > > We have networked (Wi- Fi) 3 PC's and all is workin...

error LNK2001: unresolved external symbol "long __cdecl _com_dispatch_method(struct IDispatch *,long,unsigned short,unsigned short,void *,wchar_t const *,...)" (?_com_dispatch_method@@YAJPAUIDispatch@
Hi, I have installed Visual Studio Express 2005, and the platform SDK. I'm trying to compile, but get this linker error. The only reference I found on the web was a post of this person describing the possible cause: http://www.eggheadcafe.com/ng/microsoft.public.platformsdk.sdk_install/post20679802.asp Any clues, hints.. ? Leo Well, since you didn't bother to put the error message in the body of the text, it is a bit hard to read. Please do not put content in the headers. I only see the first segment of the header in my reader. A header that contains interesting informatio...

unable to open .doc attachments in outlook 7
outlook 7 tries to open .doc attachments as a spreadsheet and fails "Bizzi" <Bizzi@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:7F420D6C-852C-4C79-994C-34892D4ADB63@microsoft.com... > outlook 7 tries to open .doc attachments as a spreadsheet and fails There is no program named "Outlook 7". Perhaps you mean Outlook 2007. Fix your file type associations. This is a WIndows issue, not an Outlook issue. Outlook obeys the Windows settings. -- Brian Tillman [MVP-Outlook] On 3/20/2010 11:27 AM, Bizzi wrote: > outlook 7 tries to open .doc a...

Outlook Views #6
Dear All, If I am viewing email in all messages view. I selected one in which I was interested and then changed to conversation view in the hope that the selected email and associated emails would be highlighted. Alas no. Is there a way of doing this or of searching the conversations? I know I can search using find or advanced find but this does not group the results by conversation. Thanks, Danny ...

outlook express to outlook mail default
i recently changed to outlook from express, and now i still get messages in express but not outlook You have to stop useing express, or remove the accounts, or set it not to check for mail. Presumably you set up outlook and ran test accounts? "kncltd" <kncltd@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:3B08EB50-4C9D-4BEC-8668-5DE7527D85C2@microsoft.com... >i recently changed to outlook from express, and now i still get messages in > express but not outlook ...

CRM Truncating Data Issue
I have a problem with our CRM system displaying the following error message; "The data you have entered for one or more fields is too long. The record will be saved in CRM with truncated data" I have read the KB article that refers to this message http://support.microsoft.com/kb/923071 and would be interested to know 1 - if anyone is having the same problem with the Desktop client and not just the Laptop client? 2 - Is it possible that this issue will occur when the Exchange server is experiencing periods of intense activity. The result being that Outlook has problems contac...

URL links under Calendar are not seen as HTML links
Dear, Any way to make all the URL links under the calendar to be directly accessible? They all appear as regular TEXT section (so no way to clik directly on the links, I have to make a cut&past onto the web browser). Thanks, yves Hi Yves, there's a trick that works anywhere in Entourage; if a URL is not displayed as an active hyperlink, simply hold down the Cmd key and click on the URL. Doing so will tell Entourage that the text you have just clicked on is a URL, and it will pass it on to your default browser. On 06/12/09 20:55, in article C741CAAD.E8B%yves-lou...

How secure are IRM emails in Outlook 2007
A MS TechNet article named "Use Outlook 2007 to help protect messages" states that: "The reasons to use IRM have little to do with whether an unauthorized person outside the organization-for example, a hacker on the Internet-will intercept the communication. Instead, IRM is used most efficiently when the sender is concerned that the intended recipient will share the information inappropriately." I was under the impression that applying IRM to an outgoing email also encrypted the message. If so, why would microsoft make the above statement? Will Fleenor I believe...

outlook & outlook express filters
I previously used Outlook Express, and used the filters option to download my work email at work and my home email at home. I made a filter in OE something like, "mail sent to "HOME ADDRESS", do not download from server", and the corresponding filter at home. But now that I have upgraded to Outlook, I can not find how to perform the same task. I know you can set up rules in the Rules Wizard, but I don't see anything about "Do not download from server." Thanks for any help you may provide. bcohea Outlook rules dont operate at the server level, the ite...

Outlook 2007 Rule Creation
Is there a way to create a rule that only works when a certain person's name is the only one in the "To" Box. I want to delay any email sent to him by 60 minutes. I don't wish to save it as a draft. When his name is in the CC box, the rule is preventing the email from immediately going out. If he is the cc box and not in the TO box the email can be sent immediately. I can't find anything in the rules list to do this. No, the rule isn't that refined. How about also using the importance or sensitivity fields? Specific words or categories are other option...

Outlook 2007 - delete an email folder shortcut
Everytime I delete a shortcut, it asks "are you sure", I click yes or Ok, but the shortcut never goes away. ...

Outlook /office 2003
"image001.gif (127 bytes" attachment appairing with every email I send. regarless od email account. I have a machine that sends out .gif attachments with every email. NA comes back clean....also running adaware, and behind firewall. All Emai off this particular machine comes with several .gif files that are jus pictures of buttons. I've looked everywhere, so anyone that has any idea please forwar ...

Enter Network Password Outlook xp
It seems that every few minutes, outlook forgets my authenication. It displays a message asking me to enter my network password. Does anyone have a solution to this? its quite annoying. NB Outlook doesnt ask for network passwords. Sounds like the network card is going to sleep and you need to reconnect to the network after a long pause or inactivity. NETWORK PLACES / VIEW CONNECTION /PROPERTIES / CONFIGURE / POWER. Uncheck allow card to sleep. Thom Apply Service Pack 1 and Service Pack 2 for Outlook 2002....this eliminated the problem for me ...

IE6 Truncates My CRM Letters (ntext) to 2000 chars.
Our users are finding that they cannot create letters (activities) in CRM which are longer than 2,000 characters. Having copy/pasted text into the description field, IE6 (SP1) throws an error saying no more than 2000 chars are permitted in the field. We are sure IE6 is the problem, because the error is thrown before the form is posted. SQL Server (via the CRM Deployment Mngr) reports that the description field on a letter is ntext, ie 1Gb limit, not 2000 chars limit. We are using attachments to notes as a workaround for string long letters/emails, but this is a pain. Any ideas any...

Outlook 2003 remains open.
I have installed Office 2003 Pro and I am having a problem with Outlook closing. When I close, it appears to do so. When I look in the right side of the Windows XP Pro Taskbar I see it still there. When I attempt to open Outlook again it will not. I then looked in the Task Manager/Processes and see two Outlook.exe's running. When I close them the Icons will go away. I can then open Outlook but the same thing happens when I close it. For some reason Outlook remains running. Please Help Thanks,Ray When you run a Microsoft Office XP program, the file Ctfmon.exe (Ctfmon) runs in th...

Hidden E-mail Accounts in Outlook
Even though I do not see my husbands e-mail address under accounts on my computer, I get his e-mails. I think this is from when I set up my Vista machine and had his name enter by mistake. I did delete it but still get his mail. He does not use this machine and we do not have a network in the house. How do I stop this from happening. If you really mean "Outlook" you are in the wrong newsgroup. The newsgroup to which you posted is for the Windows Mail program. You are more likely to find Outlook experts in the Outlook newsgroup: microsoft.public.outlook.general (...

Outlook Express Outbox #5
I have a large mail in my outbox and the program freezes when I attempt to delete it. Any suggestions on how to purge this particular mail from the outbox? Dennis <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: > I have a large mail in my outbox and the program freezes > when I attempt to delete it. Any suggestions on how to > purge this particular mail from the outbox? Ask in an Outlook Express newsgroup. -- Brian Tillman ...

Milo: What is microsoft.windowslive.translator.btn? Name too long
In "C:\Documents and Settings\[myname]\Application Data\Microsoft\Windows Live\Toolbar\Custom Buttons", there is a folder called microsoft.windowslive.translator.btn that is causing me to have trouble backing up my computer. I'm being told that that path or folder name is too long. At first I thought it was the path, but trying to copy microsoft.windowslive.translator.btn DIRECTLY into the MyDocuments folder caused the same error, so now I'm pretty sure that it’s the 36 characters in that folder name that is the problem. Sure enough, when I renamed a copy...

Outlook 2000
How do I setup Out of Office Assistant? ...

Debugging errors in Outlook
Please Help...When I first click on the Outlook icon I get an error message "Microsoft Visual C ++ Debug Library Program C:\Progra~1\Micros~4\Office 10\Outlook.exe Abnormal Program Termination" then when I click ok it shuts off and when I click the icon again it starts right up. This happens everytime I use Outlook. I am not a programmer and am shutting down properly..any help would be greatly appreciated. Using Win XP and Outlook 2002 Corky Didn't I answer this one a few days ago? 1) do you have VB or a programming program installed? That's why you get the offer...

Importing To Outlook from Outlook Express Problem
I have been using Outlook Express and there are a lot of folders and emails in my Outlook Express. I tried Import the Outlook Express into my Outlook and not all of the e-mails were copied over. There are many folder names that are empty. It looks like there isn't enought space in Outlook to store my Outlook Express? Can someone help me in suggestions to move my Outlook Express folders and address over into Outlook. I am using Outlook Express 6.0 and my Outlook is 2003 Sp3 Thank You, G ...

Outlook XP Mail Check Interval
I just obtained MS Outlook and I need to set the time for checking mail every xx minutes, like in Eudora. I have looked all over and can't find anything to define this. TIA, J On Sat, 12 Feb 2005 16:05:52 -0800, Justin <justint2004@gmail.com> wrote: >I just obtained MS Outlook and I need to set the time for checking >mail every xx minutes, like in Eudora. I have looked all over and >can't find anything to define this. > >TIA, >J > > Never mind I found it. Tools > Options > Mail Setup > Send and Receive section. "Justin" <j...

Upgrading Outlook to 2003
I would like to update the Outlook client to 2003 version but was wondering since CRM is installed, can I just upgrade leaving CRM intact or do I need to uninstall CRM first, upgrade Outlook and reinstall CRM? ...

Outlook 2003
I have a third party html broadcast editor. I am able to send an html email out to hotmail, yahoo, etc. and the html is shown correctly and display in the body of the email. However, when I send it to myself at work (Outlook 2003), it doesn't show up in the body of the email, it shows up as an attachment (untitled attachment), which i then have to double-click to open and then in that email body, the html is displayed properly... yahoo and hotmail display everything fine but not our internal network... running exch 5.5 btw. any ideas or suggestions? ...