LDAP

Dear All,

Having recently updated an ICQ program .. I now find this message popping up
every time I open Outlook :

" Can't contact LDAP Directory Server ( 81 ) "  On clicking OK it disappears
and Outlook runs as normal.

I have looked up info about this LDAP Directory Server on Microsoft's Site
and in my Outlook Help files .. but although I am fairly computer literate
... I must admit to not understanding it.

Can anyone tell me what exactly it is, in layman's language please .. plus
if it is necessary to be able to have this contact ..  if so .. how to
program my system to contact this LDAP Directory Server .. and what will it
give me if I do ?

Or alternatively, how to disable Outlook from looking for this connection,
if it is not necessary or possible.

Thank you in advance

David

You can remove the LDAP address book provider via Tools | E-mail accounts |
view/change address books.  More or less the import routine brought in a
definition from the Windows Address Book to query Active Directory and will
be of no use to you.

"david.nevill" <david.nevill@ntlworld.com> wrote in message
> Dear All,
>
> Having recently updated an ICQ program .. I now find this message popping
up
> every time I open Outlook :
>
> " Can't contact LDAP Directory Server ( 81 ) "  On clicking OK it
disappears
> and Outlook runs as normal.
>
> I have looked up info about this LDAP Directory Server on Microsoft's Site
> and in my Outlook Help files .. but although I am fairly computer literate
> .. I must admit to not understanding it.
>
> Can anyone tell me what exactly it is, in layman's language please .. plus
> if it is necessary to be able to have this contact ..  if so .. how to
> program my system to contact this LDAP Directory Server .. and what will
it
> give me if I do ?
>
> Or alternatively, how to disable Outlook from looking for this connection,
> if it is not necessary or possible.
>
> Thank you in advance
>
> David

0
neo5748 (288)
8/12/2003 12:58:07 AM
My thanks to you Neo,

I have removed it as per your instructions and all is working fine ..

Cheers  :-))

David

"neo [mvp outlook]" <neo@mvps.org> wrote in message
> You can remove the LDAP address book provider via Tools | E-mail accounts
|
> view/change address books.  More or less the import routine brought in a
> definition from the Windows Address Book to query Active Directory and
will
> be of no use to you.
>
> "david.nevill" <david.nevill@ntlworld.com> wrote in message
> > Dear All,
> >
> > Having recently updated an ICQ program .. I now find this message
popping
> up
> > every time I open Outlook :
> >
> > " Can't contact LDAP Directory Server ( 81 ) "  On clicking OK it
> disappears
> > and Outlook runs as normal.
> >
> > I have looked up info about this LDAP Directory Server on Microsoft's
Site
> > and in my Outlook Help files .. but although I am fairly computer
literate
> > .. I must admit to not understanding it.
> >
> > Can anyone tell me what exactly it is, in layman's language please ..
plus
> > if it is necessary to be able to have this contact ..  if so .. how to
> > program my system to contact this LDAP Directory Server .. and what will
> it
> > give me if I do ?
> >
> > Or alternatively, how to disable Outlook from looking for this
connection,
> > if it is not necessary or possible.
> >
> > Thank you in advance
> >
> > David

LDAP #6
When ever i start up outlook 2002 - a window pops up labled Microsoft LDAP Directories. With in the window is a tab labled Connection Details. Under the tab server name : NULL port: 3268 username: NULL password: - The server name and port number are unchangeable! What is this window and what does it apply too? - This window also appears when i'm using Intellisync for MSN!! You should remove the LDAP (might read Active Directory) address book. See Tools | Email Accounts | View/Change address books (3rd or 4th radio button). -- Neo [MVP Outlook] Due to the Swen virus, all e...

using a spreadsheet to search multiple contacts at once through an LDAP server
I have a large spreadsheet of contacts that I would like to use to search through an LDAP address book. Is there a way to search mutliple entries at once through Outlook 2003 or do I have to go one-by-one through the list? Thank you! ...

since i'm using LDAP i dont have "edit in ..." option anymore in sharepoint
hello, i have two collection site on WSS. one uses regular authentication, and the other one uses openLDAP. the one using regular auth is working perfectly, i can upload, open, check-out, edit files etc. on the second one however, although i can log in, manage users, upload documents, etc. I can only have the documents in "read only" and i don't have the option "edit in..." (microsoft word for instance) anymore... this is killing me as I've spent quite a long time trying to get this LDAP connection working and it looks like i(ve done it for nothing. has anyone h...

ldap
Hi, We are going to using ldap for authentications. How do I get the ldap account once it is authenticated? I want to know the account's email address. ...

LDAP Query Builder?
Are there interface tools to help build LDAP queries? Google is not forthcoming with them. -- jbfields@msn.com www.jbfields3.com "Dogs may have kept us company on the hunt, but it was the cats who insisted we invent houses and discover fire." -- Khiem Tran ...

Outlook and external LDAP server
I am running and IBM Directory LDAP server and some of my clients have configured their Outlook client to point to this LDAP server. When there are multipule names in the TO: feild the Outlook client loops through the whole list of names. Once it has looped through the list it returns the first name and then loops through again to find the second. It repeats this unitl if reaches the last name. Is there any fix so that it only searchs one name at a time? Thanks Mark ...

The LDAP server is unavailable Message
Hi! I authenticate users from Active Directory using System.Directory.Protocols (C#). I can authenticate multiple users with the same connection without problems. The only problem I have is strange. If I reset a user's password and I try to authenticate this user using the previous password, instead of getting a message telling me that my credentials are invalid, I get the "The LDAP server is unavailable." message. After that, I get the same error message for each user I try to authenticate. The only solution to get passed that problem is to open a new connect...

PowerShell [v1] LDAP query against iPlanet

LDAP #3
Hello, I have a windows 2003 DC running exchange 2003. I know LDAP is a part of AD. On the server, I cannot find it in the services. On the exchange manager, I got to my server and there is a protocol folder there and it has smtp, imap4, etc but no LDAP. I have done "telnet IP ADDRESS 389" from the command prompt on another computer and I believe it works (it doesn't say connection failed just goes to an empty window). I just want to know if LDAP is running and how to install it again, if it wasn't before or if it got deleted. I am trying to connect my Xerox mach...

LDAP help needed #2
We are running a Windows 2003 domain and Exchange 2003. I am trying to create a "Saved Query" in AD Users and Computers. I have the following LDAP query that will tell me all users that have NEVER logged in before. Can someone show me how to modify the query to return all users that have not logged into their mailbox in the last 30 days? (&(objectCategory=person)(objectClass=user))(|(lastLogon=0)(!(lastLogon=*))) TIA, Clayton Logging into AD doesn't mean someone has opened an Exchange mailbox, exchange maintains its own info about when a mailbox was last opened an...

LDAP error
I'm using Road Runner account as provider. I'm getting following message on Outlook 2002: "Can't find LDAP directory server". Can't send email, only receive, even though I set the account up per RR's instructions. I get the above message. Related? When launching outlook, I get a window "Connection Details" with the following: Server name - NULL, Port - 3268, User Name NULL, Password - 'empty'. ...

LDAP in Outlook 2K2
How can I view an LDAP server's information if I am required to use "Secure Password Authentication" to authenticate for that given LDAP server, in Outlook 2002? Thanks ...

"Microsoft LDAP Directory" box in Outlook 2003
I have recently upgraded to Office 2003 and since then, everytime I open "Microsoft Outlook", I get a "Microsoft LDAP Directory" box that asks me for my "connection details" i.e.. server name:, port: etc. I click on "OK" or "Cancel" and everything works fine. Can you tell me please, how to get rid of the box. Thanks Brian Brian Stevenson <bvstevensonNO@SPAMntlworld.com> wrote: > I have recently upgraded to Office 2003 and since then, everytime I > open "Microsoft Outlook", I get a "Microsoft LDAP Directory&qu...

Secure LDAP
I'm testing Outlook 2000 and 2003 and I'm having problems using secure ldap connections with an error that reads "Can't connect to ldap server (81). The configuration is the same as my working netscape configuration which works. A packet sniff comparison revealed that netscape successfully connected using SSLv3.0 while Outlook tries to initiate a connection using SSLv2.0 and fails. I can connect flawlessly to ldap as long as I turn Outlooks LDAP SSL feature off. Does anyone know of a fix or patch for this problem. Or maybe a way to force Outlook to use SSLv3.0? Ok. Furt...

Netdiag hangs when testing ldap servers?
All, I'm in the process of setting up my Exchange 2003 server and doing the pre steps of running Netdiag. When I run it using "netdiag /v /l" the test would run and pass until it start to test ldap servers. There it would just hang and sit there. Any ideas why its getting hung up? I'm running AD in my environment already with an Exchange server, and my users are able to log in and I'm able to browse AD, add/remove users fine. Any input would be appreciated. Thanks! Yo, Fireup LDP.exe from the run command, Can you successfully connect to all DC/GC's ...

Where in LDAP can i find?...
Similar to an earlier query below, does anyone know where in AD i can find the IP addresses blocked under "connection control" (Admin Group -> Server -> Protocols -> SMTP -> Default SMTP Virtual Server -> Properties -> Access tab -> Connection Control)? I'm having trouble finding these IP addresses in ADSIEdit. Thanks! Andy David - Exchange MVP wrote: Via ADSIEdit: msExchTurfListNames located: CN=Default Message Filter,CN=Message Delivery,CN=Global Settings,CN=Organization_Name,CN=Microsoft Exchange,CN=Services,CN=Configuration,DC=Domain_Name,DC=com ...

LDAP Directory dialog box at startup
I am new to Outlook 2003. When I start Outlook, a dialog box comes up to log into an LDAP Directory. Is there an option in Outlook somewhere to turn this off so they won't be popping up everytime I start Outlook? Thanks for any help! Keith ...

LDAP Query #3
I am having trouble with my Exchange 5.5 server. I am attempting to do an LDAP query using a number of tools, outlook/Mailsweeper/LDAP Browser, and when I try using Anonymous, it connects, but gives me a LDAP Search request failed with error 11. If I attempt to Login with an account which has service account admin privileges It has an error that states "LDAP Bind failed. Client didn't provide a properly formatted username or the server doesn't allow anonymous access" (Event ID: 1348 MSExchangeDS). As far as I am aware I am formatting it correctly Any help would be app...

LDAP error
Hello all On my exchagne 2003 sp1 server running on 2003 (no sp) i am getting this annoying error in the application log about every hour. LDAP Modify on directory nwpcascdc01.nwt.com for entry '<GUID=607F86B5-7FBD-4CFF-A946-4D3518E45061>' was unsuccessful with error:[0x35] Unwilling To Perform. DC=nwt,DC=com I have searched event id.net and have found simialr issues, but I thik i am not understanding the resolution to this problem. Any assistance on this is greatly appreciated. Thanks ...

Outlook 2003
I just upgraded from Outlook 2000 to 2003. When I type in a name (ex. "Erin") I get an error meesage "Can't contact LDAP Directory server (81)" What do I need to do to my address book so I don't need to type in the whole e-mail address everytime I send a message? Thank you Tim TIM <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: > I just upgraded from Outlook 2000 to 2003. When I type > in a name (ex. "Erin") I get an error meesage > > "Can't contact LDAP Directory server (81)" If you don't use an LDAP server, d...

LDAP and trusted domains
I am trying to allow a user in a trusted domain to create an LDAP address book that uses my LDAP server. They get "denied access" errors when they try to connect. I am certain that they have the right permissions to the directory. But I'm wondering if they need other permissions to the machine itself or if there is a certain way to enter the username and password with the domain. I found an article on MS's KB (245830) that suggests the username be entered as cn=username,cn=domainname. But that doesn't seem to work either. Any suggestions would be greatly a...

csvde ldap query
What is cmd to query user group with email address fields only with created user account? Thx Mike Can you clarify? Do you want to get a list of all mailbox-enabled users? csvde -f users.txt -d "dc=yourdomain,dc=com" -r "(&(objectClass=user)(mailni ckname=*)(homeMDB=*))" Replace yourdomain and com with your AD domain name and extension. mail-enabled groups: csvde -f groups.txt -d "dc=yourdomain,dc=com" -r "(&(objectClass=group)(mailNickname=*))" To include any dynamic distribution groups: csvde -f groups.txt -d "dc=yourdomain,dc=com...

LDAP connection to Exchange 5.5
Hello, I am trying to establish an LDAP connection to my exchange server using LDP.EXE. I can connect to the server on 389, and when I then bind, I get the following: res = ldap_bind_s(ld, NULL, &NtAuthIdentity, 1158); // v.3 {NtAuthIdentity: User='$me'; Pwd= <unavailable>; domain = 'london'.} Authenticated as dn:'$me'. If I then go to Browse, choose search, leave the base DN as blank, set (objectclass=*) as the filter, and set the Scope to Subtree, I would expect to get a list of items returned. Instead, I get this: ***Searching... ldap_search_s(ld, &...

what is LDAP, this pops up when I start Outlook
What is it and how do I stop it from poping up on startup of outlook If you have just upgraded from Outlook 98/2000 IMO to a newer version, = the LDAP service is installed in lieu of the Outlook Address Book = service. Go to Control Panel->Mail Icon->Accounts->select your Address = Book Directories and then Change. Remove the LDAP service and add the = Outlook Address Book Service. --=81 Milly Staples [MVP - Outlook] Post all replies to the group to keep the discussion intact. All unsolicited mail sent to my personal account will be deleted without reading. =20 After furious he...

Outlook Address book and LDAP lookup of Exchange
I have seen several articles to set up the Outlook 2002 address book to lookup Active Directory information. I can not get any of them to work. Can anyone provide a detailed method of letting me look up my exchange email addresses via ldap ...