LDAP Server

I have added an LDAP server as a service in Outlook. It
normally works fine, but the problem is when searching for
a name which is duplicated (common name), only the last
person is returned in Outlook.

I have captured packets and found that in one case 5
results are being returned, but only 1 is displayed in
Outlook.

I have tested this on both Outlook 2000 SP 3 and Outlook XP
SP 2.

Does anyone know why Outlook filters results and only
displays the last result from the query?

Thanks for your help

Sure I will email you with the info

Thanks, Mike

On Wed, 23 Jul 2003 09:18:23 -0400, greg mansius [MSFT]
<gregmans@online.microsoft.com> wrote:

> Mike,
>
> Is this LDAP server something I could hit from my end of things? I would
> like to see a repro to better determine what might be going on.
>
> Thanks,

I tried emailing you but your address isn't working. Here is the info:

Our ldap server name is ldap.uconn.edu, search base is dc=uconn,dc=edu
Does not require a login. Try searching for matthew smith. You can verify
the problem by visiting phonebook.uconn.edu and doing the same search, or
by adding the account to Outlook Express and using Windows find people
function. Both of these produce correct results

Thanks again for the help Let me know if you need anything else

On Wed, 23 Jul 2003 09:18:23 -0400, greg mansius [MSFT]
<gregmans@online.microsoft.com> wrote:

> Mike,
>
> Is this LDAP server something I could hit from my end of things? I would
> like to see a repro to better determine what might be going on.
>
> Thanks,

Great. I am very interested in learning what you find out

Mick

On Thu, 24 Jul 2003 09:23:33 -0400, greg mansius [MSFT]
<gregmans@online.microsoft.com> wrote:

> Mick,
>
> I have repro'd the issue with the information you provided -- thanks.
> Now, I
> need to do some research into the issue.

Mick,

What I found is not necessarily good :-)

This behavior is apparently by-design in Outlook 2002 and I have tried every
trick in the book to get this to work as you hoped (like OE). What's the
chance of changing display names for the different "Matthew Smith" users.
For example, "Matthew A Smith" or "Matthew Smith (1)". If this can be done,
then I think Outlook 2002 will return all the different users whose name is
Matthew Smith.

--
Greg Mansius [MSFT]

"Mick DiGrazia" <mick.digrazia@uconn.edu> wrote in message
> Great. I am very interested in learning what you find out
>
> Mick
>
> On Thu, 24 Jul 2003 09:23:33 -0400, greg mansius [MSFT]
> <gregmans@online.microsoft.com> wrote:
>
> > Mick,
> >
> > I have repro'd the issue with the information you provided -- thanks.
> > Now, I
> > need to do some research into the issue.

gregmans (163)
7/24/2003 4:18:04 PM
It's not likely that we can change the listings, as the server is getting a
feed from our business systems. I am surprised that this is done by design
in Outlook. Every other client I have tried works like you would expect.
Having duplicate display names in our directory does not seem to be an
issue only we would see - I would think many organizations would see this
as a problem

Mick

On Thu, 24 Jul 2003 12:18:04 -0400, greg mansius [MSFT]
<gregmans@online.microsoft.com> wrote:

> Mick,
>
> What I found is not necessarily good :-)
>
> This behavior is apparently by-design in Outlook 2002 and I have tried
> every
> trick in the book to get this to work as you hoped (like OE). What's the
> chance of changing display names for the different "Matthew Smith" users.
> For example, "Matthew A Smith" or "Matthew Smith (1)". If this can be
> done,
> then I think Outlook 2002 will return all the different users whose name
> is
> Matthew Smith.

VPN Client Outlook Cannot Connect to Exchange Server
VPN Client Outlook Cannot Connect to Exchange Server This just started recently. One day he could get his messages, and the next day he couldn't. No new software was installed. When he starts Outlook it tries to connect to the exchange server, but it can't.. Submitted using http://www.outlookforums.com ...

Server accepts mail for multiple domains, replies with wrong one?
Hi there. Our server accepts mail for 3 different domain names. My question is, if someone sends an Email to user@domaina.com when outlook replies it always sends the mail as the Primary User on the AD account. Is there anyway to have it automatically SEND replies as the address that recieved the message? Here is an example. Bob has 3 addresses: bob@domain1.com bob@domain2.com bob@domain3.com Jane sends an email to bob@domain3.com in AD bob's primary account is bob@domain2.com so whenever bob replies outlook automatically sends the email back as bob@domain2.com Is there any...

System.OutOfMemoryException in Timesheet Approval
We used to get this error when Resource Managers' or Admins' would access the "Apporvals, Timesheet", but when we installed the Infrastructure Update two years ago it seemed to disappear, but now it is occurring again. We are about to install SP2 and wondering if this is an issue in SP2 and/or does anyone know of a fix. When serarching the Web all I find this issue with .NET. Thanks, I just wanted to tell you that we use to have this problem as well and we've got SP2 + April 2009 Cumulative Update installed. I posted a question about this earlier but didn&...

Exchange server not forwarding emails
I have recently added an Exchange 2003 server to my domain that already has a Exchange 2000 server in it. The install ran fine. I am able to send email from the new server but I am not able to recieve email. The emails come in and get Queued on the exchange 2000 server and are never forwarded to my exchange 2003 server. I have verified that SMTP is running and functioning on both servers. Both exchange server are listed in the exchange manager. All is well with DNS also. Has anyone else run into a simmilar issue. Getting any NDRs? Has mail ever moved between the servers? Nue <tkoz...

Can I run Exchange 5.5 on a Windows 2003 Member server in a NT 4 domain
This is a multi-part message in MIME format. ------=_NextPart_000_0188_01C3FBD8.1E4A4F40 Content-Type: text/plain; charset="iso-8859-1" Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable I do not have active directory in place and it is a NT site with = Exchange 5.5 servers running on nt 4 machines. I do plan on upgrading to AD later. But for now this is what I need to = do. Any help on this would be appreciated. Thanks in advanced. ------=_NextPart_000_0188_01C3FBD8.1E4A4F40 Content-Type: text/html; charset="iso-8859-1" Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable <!DOCT...

Running low on storage on a Ex 5.5 bridgehead server, need help qu
Our environment is a multi Exchange server , with a mix of E2K3 and 1 Exch 5.5. The storage issue is on the 5.5 box. The 5.5 box is setup as a bridgehead server without any recipients. Any incoming external email comes through the Exchange 5.5 box 1st. I have noticed that the priv.edb is 24GB, and the pub.edb is 68MB, 326+ edb logs. Should the priv.edb be this large, especially since there are no mailboxes stored on this server? Should we be having that many edb logs? Would it be safe if I were to stop the Exchange related services, and rename both priv and pub EDBs, and then restart th...

Append query to ODBC linked table in SQL Server
Hi there,I'm fighting an issue with my department's new database that has myhead hurting.Here's the general layout: we just installed a new medical recordsdatabase with a web-based frontend, and a SQL Server backend. I'vecreated an ODBC linked Access database to SQL Server backend, and I'mtrying to update the linked tables with an append query. What I get isa key violation error for every record I'm trying to append.The query is fairly simple, it reads like this:INSERT INTO dbo_Patients_copy ( PtMRN, PtLastName, PtFirstName )SELECT People_unique_MRN.MRN, People_unique_M...

Incoming mail server problem: outlook will not save my password
Any help would be appreciated. I cannot get outlook 2000 to save my my password for the incoming mail server. Every time I start outlook, I have to manually enter my password. That has only been a slight inconvenience until I added an IMAP mail server. IMAP seems to disconnect itself on a regular basis so it is constantly asking for my password. I have tried everything I can think of to correct the problem including; reinstall the software, delete all outlook files from the C Drive and reinstall software. I know the software works. I test installed it on another computer and it...

migrate mailbox store from exchange 2000 server
Hi all. I have an exchange 2000 server running on windows 2000 server. It is also a domain controller. Recently my active directory got corrupted and my users can't access their mailboxes. As there is no backup, i cannot restore my AD. However i need to retrieve data that is still in my mailbox store. Hence i would like to know if it is possible to get back my mailbox store by backing up the mailbox store(mdb file) and transfer the mdb file to another exchange machine by selecting to mount the store? Thks in advance. On Wed, 7 Mar 2007 23:20:03 -0800, inenewbl <inenewbl@discussio...

Exchange Server 5.5 footnote
Anyone knows how to setup a footnote only for designated mailboxes only? I found the article from Microsoft's website to create a footnote for "all" outbound mail. But I want to customize it to create a separate and different footnote only for few of the users' mailboxes. http://support.microsoft.com/?id=262097 Thanks. Alex On Fri, 3 Feb 2006 16:20:07 -0800, "bonusmarch" <bonusmarch@hotmail.com> wrote: >Anyone knows how to setup a footnote only for designated mailboxes only? > >I found the article from Microsoft's website to create a f...

Remote Exchange Server Connectivity
We currently have multiple Exchange 2003 servers in our data center and are in the process of deploying remote Exchange servers & DC's to remote offices that are connected back to the main data center via a site to site VPN tunnel. The problem with this setup is a limitation on our current VPN server does not allow the remote offices to talk to each other. If one office wanted to share data with another they would have to place the data at the data center and then both offices could access it that way. This does not bode well for the default install of Exchange as mailbox use...

server side rule for autoforwarding outgoing?
Hi, I was wondering if there were a server side rule for autoforwarding all outgoing emails? We have a helpdesk shared email and we want to have a public folder as the recipient of all of these. All the rules for outgoing seem to be client side. Is there a way to do this? Thanks In news:O6Rt1t7ZGHA.4580@TK2MSFTNGP03.phx.gbl, - <-> typed: > Hi, > > I was wondering if there were a server side rule for autoforwarding > all outgoing emails? We have a helpdesk shared email and we want to > have a public folder as the recipient of all of these. All the rules >...

Renaming the exchnage server 2003
I have installed new exchange server 2003 (exchange1) , thus retiring old exchange server 2003 (exchange). How do i chnage the name of new exchnage server (exchange1) to old server name (exchange)? which will save me time to reconfigure all outlook clients. Thank you for your help in adavance. arun Outlook clients will automatically be redirected to the new server after their mailboxes are moved - there's no need to change the server name. If you can't do without reverting to the old servername, this may help: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/822945/ -- Bharat Suneja MVP - Excha...

Exchange 2007 on Server 2008 Geo-Cluster
When we fail over our cluster to our passive node, the cluster ip address is getting associated with the Heartbeat adapter, which is what I think is causing the cluster to not be able to register the dns record. I can't figure out why the failed over Exchange Clustered server won't register its dns record. If I look at the two nodes in Cluster Manager (Nodes) the failing clustered server default network connection is listed as the Heartbeat nic where as the working NIC lists the correct nic. I'm wondering if there is a configuration that some how got flipped and ...

Messages on Server for 90 days only
My newsgroup reader (Mozilla Thunderbird) gives me a message on all Microsoft Newsgroups for any message that is more 90 days old that the message has "expired". Is it a Microsoft policy to remove messages from the public server after that point? If so, why remove them so quickly; the shelf life of the messages should be at least several years. I can search for older newsgroup items on Google Groups, but the listing on that website is not as good, in my view, as the newsgroup itself. David I've never tried the website access, only Google Groups, but...

SQL Server Express 2005
Getting a "SQL Server does not exist or access denied. Connection open (Connect())" error when trying to connect to the SQL Server service whioch is installed on the local PC. Have tried to connect to (local) MACHINENAME and IP.ADD.RE.SS and still nothing. The installation completed successfully, the service is running and have tried restarting it. Still nothing. Its XPSP2, I have tried explicitly allowing the ports in the firewall to allow everything and even switched it off. Any ideas? Thanks, Matt Hi Matt Please check that you have enabled named pipes and tcp/ip remote conne...

The host 'qrente@microsoft.com' could not be found. Please verify that you have entered the server name correctly.
The host 'qrente@microsoft.com' could not be found. Please verify that you have entered the server name correctly. Account: 'qrente@microsoft.com', Server: 'qrente@microsoft.com', Protocol: POP3, Port: 110, Secure(SSL): No, Socket Error: 11003, Error Number: 0x800CCC0D Try with grente@microsoft.com or qgrente@microsoft.com instead of qrente@microsoft.com. -- Sylvain Lafontaine, ing. MVP - Windows Live Platform Blog/web site: http://coding-paparazzi.sylvainlafontaine.com Independent consultant and remote programming for Access and SQL-Server (Fre...

XP security
Hi there! Hope this is the right place for this question (concern). Couldn't find any matching concern Googling. XP SP3 & latest updates. I got my hands on a 14 day free trial "playon" media server by "MediaMall" that is supposed to transcode real time al types of media from my PC to my DLNA HD TV set. I have all my important and personal files in this PC (i.e. finances). The only way "playon" will perform is to be given full internet server access from my firewall (zonealarm). Concerned if this is safe? Can this software be written in a...

Retiring Exchange Server 5.5
Hello all, I am currently moving away from Exchange 5.5 for my client to a webmail server. One user's outlook account is archiving the pst file directly to the exchange server. But I am in the process of purchasing new desktops. How would I move the pst from the user's account to the new desktop if the pst file is being archived to the server? Also, how would I retrieve the address book from the server and store it locally to Outlook on the desktops? Thanks. ...

OWA Issues on Macs With New Server
We recently replaced our Exchange server with an upgraded, new one. We went from Windows 2000 server to Windows 2003 Server for the OS, but Exchange has always been 2003. Outlook on PCs and Entourage on Macs work fine. OWA on PCs works fine. However, when users login to OWA on Macs (And, they can login to it fine...) the following two things happen: 1.) They have to click on everything twice (not a double click but two single clicks) for it to open. If just one click, it will go about 10-15 minutes and then open, but 2 clicks makes whatever it is open right away. (For anything, ...

Joining the SQL server to SBS2008 domain.
Might be a silly question but do I run the //connect wizard in this case or is it only for workstations? yaro Join the second server manually... Configuring the second server http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/dd469602(WS.10).aspx Using SQL Server in Windows Small Business Server 2008 Premium Edition http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc794697(WS.10).aspx Why Does My SBS 2008 Premium Second Server Display as a Client Computer http://blogs.technet.com/sbs/archive/2008/09/24/why-does-my-sbs-2008-premium-second-server-display-as-a-client-computer.aspx -- Merv ...

moving the Exchange 2003 data to another server
I need to move the Exchange 2003 database off of our SAN temporarily (the mailbox stores). I know connecting the Exchange 2003 to a NAS would be hassle so I like to do it as simple as possible. Can I set up another server with a different name and restore the backup to that server? Thanks. Sure, here's a good link below. There are three methods for moving Exchange databases to different storage groups or servers: =B7 Restore an Exchange-aware online streaming backup of the database, redirecting the restore location to a different server For this method to work, the new server ...

Security certificate on server is invalid
I'm attempting to sync my Dash phone wirelessly through activesync. I'm using Form based authentication and SSL on my exchange server. I exported my certificate from my OWA site and installed it on my device - but even after doing that I'm still getting an error telling me that my certificate is invalid. This cert was created on the server. It is not from anywhere like verisign. Can anyone explain why the dash still thinks the cert is invalid even though its installed? ...

CRM 4 Installation Error
Has anyone seen the following error during a new installation: 13:33:45| Info| Executing Install action: Microsoft.Crm.Setup.Server.ProvisionBusinessAction 13:33:50| Error| Install exception.System.Exception: Action Microsoft.Crm.Setup.Server.ProvisionBusinessAction failed. ---> System.Runtime.InteropServices.COMException (0x8007202B): A referral was returned from the server. This is a pretty vanilla install: - Single box deployment, on premises configuration - Win2003 R2 x64 - Installing user is a member of domain admins group - All green checkmarks from the pre-installation diagn...

Importing XML in SQL Server 2005 in .Net 2.0
Hello All, I tried using bulkupload SQLXML, but it is very unreliable. Is there any way we can import XML file having schema into database? Neo Hello Neo, N> I tried using bulkupload SQLXML, but it is very unreliable. Is there N> any way we can import XML file having schema into database? What exactly are you trying to do? e.g., load XML into an XML typed column or load XML into one or more tables? Do you already have a schema? Note: Adding to m.p.ss.xml for easier tracking. Thanks! Kent Tegels DevelopMentor http://staff.develop.com/ktegels/ Yes, I have schema. I have also c...