Launch Oulook Express Newsreader separately

Hi

I use Outlook Express as my newsreader. My problem is that in order to
access it, I need to first launch Outlook.
Is there some way I can launch the newsreader portion of OE without
launching Outlook? A command line switch or something I imagine.

I'm using Outlook XP with OE 6 on Windows XP pro.

Thanks

0
aJax

I believe the command-line switch is /newsonly.

--
Aloha,

-Ben-
Ben M. Schorr, OneNote-MVP
http://home.hawaii.rr.com/schorr

Please post questions and replies here in the newsgroup.  Mahalo!

"aJax" <chill_out4evr"canthespam"@btopenworld.com> wrote in message
> Hi
>
> I use Outlook Express as my newsreader. My problem is that in order to
> access it, I need to first launch Outlook.
> Is there some way I can launch the newsreader portion of OE without
> launching Outlook? A command line switch or something I imagine.
>
> I'm using Outlook XP with OE 6 on Windows XP pro.
>
> Thanks

0
mvp1 (459)

imported accounts from outlook express
Hello, I recently installed outlook 2003 on a computer that already had outlook express. During the installation, Outlook asked if I wanted to import my existing e-mail accounts from Express. I said yes. Now, I have an two inboxes for each account and the generic inbox listed under "personal folders." How do I assign one of my e-mail accounts to become the generic "inbox"? The reason I want to set it up this is way is because I want to use the search folders feature available under the generic inbox. Any help is appreciated! Melanie <mapears@sph.emory.e...

slow launch
My work laptop is becoming almost unbearable lately. After logon the wallpaper appears immediately but the Taskbar and Desktop icons take fully three minutes before they even appear! Add another two or more minutes for the disk activity to slow down and it can take me at least five minutes after logon to be able to open any application. During this time the disk activity LED is essentially solid on, so something is happening in the background. After everything stops the laptop acts normally and is not slow during use. There is one application, FreeCommander, that once launched ta...

MFC to launch MsDev
I am running MsDev 7.1 I would like to from a MFC project use automation to launch MsDev then load a text file etc... The problem is that when I use the 'Add Class' and select 'MFC Class from Typelib' and then choose 'Microsoft Development Environment 7.0' type library I cannot determine what interface to generate the class for. There is no _Application interface or similar like there is for each of the Office applications. MSDN documentation regarding MsDev automation has not been updated (shame!), and I am at a loss. Ideas? - Marty ...

Outlook Express #170
Does anyone know how to keep OE from removing attachments that are sent with an email? Thanks Jim Tools->Options->Security. This newsgroup is for support of Outlook 97, 98, 2000 & 2002 from the Office family for Windows PCs. For Outlook Express (OE) support try posting in one of these newsgroups: microsoft.public.inetexplorer.ie4.outlookexpress for OE 4.x microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie5.outlookexpress for OE 5.x http://support.microsoft.com/newsgroups/default.aspx?ICP=GSS3&NewsGroup=microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie5.outlookexpress&SLCID=US&sd=GN&...

double launch at IE launch from quick launch
When I launch Internet Explorer I sometimes get a double launch. Most of the time I launch from the quick start bar. It happens also from the standard desktop icon also. ??? If you're looking for help here, the first piece of information we need is what version of Internet Explorer you are using and what version of Windows you are using (including the service pack number.) Next, keeping in mind that we are totally relying on your description, you need to explain exactly what a "double launch" means and why it happens only sometimes, along with any other detai...

how to plot an XY chart with labels specified by separate column
I want to plot a simple XY graph with data labels on the chart supplied by a column different than the data used to plot the data points. I know you can individually click on each label and change it manually, but I've got 50 points. Hi, Manually you can link data labels to cells by selecting the individual data label and then entering the cell reference via the formula bar. There is no quick way to do this without code but Rob Bovey has a free addin available that will make this chore a breeze. http://www.appspro.com/Utilities/ChartLabeler.htm Cheers Andy bioteker wrote: > I w...

Installing SQL Express and .NET from a local share
Hi, Does anyone knows how to tell the MS CRM 4.0. install program to install SQLExpress and .Net from a local share rathaer than downloading it from MS during the install? Last time we deployed on of our sites, we kept having problems because these downloads failed. We ended up downloading and installing these two items manually, but I'd expect that there is a setting that can be done in the installer to tell it to get the files locally. -- Regards Steen Schl´┐Żter Persson (DK) ...

Outlook Express #134
Suddenly I am getting script errors and cannot print e- mails. script error is res://c:WINNT\system 32 \shdoclc.dll/preview.dlg. no other problems with express. Any ideas? ...

Share address book between Outlook and Outlook Express
Hello. With Outlook 2003, there was an undocumented feature that allows the address book to be shared by adding the value "UseOutlook" in the registry. This worked. I upgraded to Outlook 2007 (Beta), but I can't share the address book. The value "UseOutlook" is still there. Any ideas. Thanks! Installing a beta isn't an upgrade. Did you create a new Outlook profile from scratch after you installed the beta? State more clearly what you did and what happened instead of what you thought should happen so someone with a clean installation can attempt a repro....

Launching report from Switchboard launches Fax Wizard?
Hello, I have a command button on the switchboard with the following code to launch a report: Private Sub CommandLastXGames_Click() DoCmd.OpenReport "rLastXGames", acViewNormal End Sub The report is based on a query that has the following code: SELECT t.gamenum, t.gamedate, O.teamname, t.atbats, t.hits, IIf(t.atbats<>0,t.hits/t.atbats,0) AS BA, t.runs, t.doubles, t.triples, t.homeruns, t.rbi, t.walks, t.strikeouts, t.LOB, t.sb, t.errors FROM tGameStats AS t LEFT JOIN tOpponentTeam AS O ON t.teamopponent = O.teamnumber WHERE (((t.gamenum)>=DMax("gamenum"...

Outlook Express and MSN messenger
Hello, I have MSN 6.0 and I also have Outlook Express. And when I load Outlook express it opens a lower version of MSN messenger as well as also me running MSN messenger version 6.0. Is there any way to either upgrade the msn messenger to msn 6.0 in Outlook express or to completely disable it from loading up when outlook express loads up or change the path for outlook express and see my msn messenger 6.0 dir. Thank you very much This newsgroup is for support of Outlook 97, 98, 2000 & 2002 from the Office family for Windows PCs. For Outlook Express (OE) support try posting in one of...

Launching IE from my application
I want to launch from ny win32 application Internet Explorer with a certain page in my website. Is it possible to that with a shell command (without using win32 api but a dos-like command)? Thanks in advance Victor I have no idea what a "dos-like command" is. What is wrong with ShellExecute? (Note: if you are trying to launch a command shell, ShellExecute is a good way to launch it, as well as CreateProcess, which is what ShellExecute uses, and is, oh dear, another Win32 API. Oh yes, ShellExecute always does the RIGHT thing, by launching the user's selected browser). Or you ...

Outlook Express #43
This one is driving me crazy. Outlook Express does not open at times. When I check the task manager it lists msimn.exe in the processes but not in the the applications window. If I try and open the application again there will be another msimn.exe, the more times I try and open the more the msimn.exe files are listed. I then need to close them all first then open Outlook and that uually works. I have reinstalled it and it still does it. This newsgroup is for support of Outlook 97, 98, 2000, 2002 & 2003 from the Office family for Intel PCs. For Outlook Express (OE) support try post...

Weblink launch from Ootlook 2003 hangs
WinXP SP3 Outlook 2003, popmail IE7 Whenever I click a weblink (launch) from within outlook mail message AND IE explorer is not already open, I get 2 windows. Window 1 is the home page -> OK. Windows 2 is the URL of the weblink. This window 2 stays blank and "in process". What can I do to fix this? If IE is already open, the windows 2 functions and opens the URL. Thx -- ***************** John Lenz JohnLenz@comcast.net Did you try resetting web settings in IE? -- Diane Poremsky [MVP - Outlook] Need Help with Common Tasks? http://www.outlook-tips.net/beginner/ Outloo...

Anyone know when Oulook 2003 Contact Form Designer will have an update ? Or a workaround?
Anyone know when Oulook 2003 Contact Form Designer will have an update ? Or a workaround? I am trying to create a custom contact form in Outlook 2003 and want to base it off of the default contact form in Outlook 2003 and just get the old XP form. I went to knowledge base and they say that it is a known problem that the design form for Outlook contacts 2003 (only the contact form apparently) was not updated from 2000 or XP. Does anyone know when that will be fixed or have another workaround? I would like the new form to have the picture option that the default Outlook 2003 contact form has. ...

How do I transfer addresses from express to outlook 2003
I have been using Outlook Express and now have Outlook 2003 Professional. Hod do I transer all my addresses rather than typing them all in contact? Thank you From the File menu in Outlook select Import/Export and follow the wizard to import the address book "troubled" <troubled@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:FCBCCB30-A854-4867-8E49-8BA72413BA63@microsoft.com... >I have been using Outlook Express and now have Outlook 2003 Professional. >Hod > do I transer all my addresses rather than typing them all in contact? > Thank > you troubled w...

Can't operate 2 separate Office 2004 programs within same network at the same time
Version: 2004 Operating System: Mac OS X 10.4 (Tiger) We have 2 macs networked. Each has its own software of 2004 Office (we just bought and downloaded the second version for the second computer to fix this problem) but the computers will not allow 2 people to work on their computers using the 2 programs. It says someone is already using the program and will not allow the other to access their own version. One computer has both versions, one computer has only the newer purchased version. How can we make this work?? Any help will be appreciated so we can get our work done! Thanks. Victoria &l...

Expression Builder on a Form
In the footer of a continuous form, I am trying to write an expression builder for the Control Source of an unbound object (text box) that will sum the number of hours (HOURS field) if the values in another field (FunctionalArea) equals a certain value. The FunctionalArea field contains several valid values (such as Development - Design, etc..) and I need to total the hours that were worked under that functional area. I tried: SUM[HOURS],IIf[FunctionalArea]= "DEV" - and Access accepted the statement, but it doesn't work. When I go to the form view the field says: #Nam...

Launch
Version: v.X Operating System: Mac OS X 10.4 (Tiger) Processor: Power PC Recently reinstalled Panther and then Tiger on my iBook. I reinstalled Office v X and now I cannot open WORD, Powerpoint or Excel from the icons in the Office folder or from the icons in the dock? Am I missing something? I believe you're going to need the Office X 10.1.9 updater: <http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?familyid=FEA9FD8A-EA16-4B3C -9381-18A389D5599A&displaylang=en> Then Repair Disk Permissions & restart. HTH |:>) Bob Jones [MVP] Office:Mac On 3/16/08 4:00 PM, in artic...

Outlook Express error message #2
Spell checker halts each time I attempt to check either a word or a document. I get the message that says: "An error occurred while the spelling was being checked." I have reinstalled Outlook Express and Internet Explorer and uploade the April 03 patch. Anybody have any suggestions? Thanks! This newsgroup is for support of Outlook 97, 98, 2000, 2002 & 2003 from the Office family for Intel PCs. For Outlook Express (OE) support try posting in one of these newsgroups: microsoft.public.inetexplorer.ie4.outlookexpress for OE 4.x microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie5.outlooke...

How can I email with outlook express 2003?
Every time I wish to email there is not a send button and I can not email, what do I need to do? "Liz" <Liz@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:9A8D7111-F99D-4B91-996B-1EFB8CB999E5@microsoft.com... > Every time I wish to email there is not a send button and I can not > email, > what do I need to do? There is no such product as Outlook Express 2003. There is Outlook 2003 and there is Outlook Express. So which one are you asking about? Have you even defined an account in whichever e-mail program you are trying to use? You obviously cannot send/re...

Hyperlinks not showing up after mail merge launched from Word
I have a Word document with a URL in it. When I do a mail merge and send thru Outlook my URL is not coming up as a hyperlink to the recipient. It is showing in my document however. Any suggestions? Thanks much! ...

How to use Hotmail with Oulook?
I have managed to check my hotmail email with outlook. I was wondering if there was any way to make hotmail the default, so that I dont have to navigate to the hotmail folder? Can I use outlook's default inbox as the place where all my hotmail will go to? "J. Peterman" <justoNOSPAM316@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:bgvbp1$d3c$1@nnrp.waia.asn.au > I have managed to check my hotmail email with outlook. > I was wondering if there was any way to make hotmail the default, so > that I dont have to navigate to the hotmail folder? Can I use > outlook's defaul...

how can i set the outlook express when receive email, the will be stored as a group (like as the newsgroup)
Thanks. Try posting this in an Outlook Express news group - this is not one of them. Outlook is a part of Microsoft Office and is what this group supports. Outlook Express is a part of Internet Explorer and has its own news groups. You can also find some good Outlook Express information here: http://insideoe.tomsterdam.com -- Milly Staples [MVP - Outlook] Post all replies to the group to keep the discussion intact. All unsolicited mail sent to my personal account will be deleted without reading. After furious head scratching, Win asked: | Thanks. ...

Outlook Express OUTBOX #3
Hello: Recently I was sending some E-MAIL'S. Altough these have been sent, I cannot DELETE them from my outbox. The system re-sends the previous ones, everytime I want to send out a new mail. The NEW mail also gets added to the files in the outbox. It just keeps growing larger. What is the problem? How can I get RID of the sent files in my outbox? I have downloaded the updates for outlook express. Thanks John This newsgroup is for support of Outlook 97, 98, 2000 & 2002 from the Office family for Windows PCs. For Outlook Express (OE) support try posting in one o...