Large PST file on network share <-- problems.

In my organisation a lot of users use a pst file to archive their mail.
Currently we have a lot of problem with pst files. I think te real problem
is the file server on which the pst files are stored.

Does any of you people know that there are known problems with large (500 Mb
+) pst files on a network share?

hope you can help.

0
omkoh (1)

omko h <omkoh@hotmail.com> wrote:

> Does any of you people know that there are known problems with large
> (500 Mb +) pst files on a network share?

There are known problems with any size PST on a network share.  It's simply
not supported and discouraged by Microsoft.  See
http://support.microsoft.com/?id=297019
--
Brian Tillman

0
tillman1952 (16053)
8/4/2004 2:49:57 PM
In addition, if you have Exchange, avoid PSTs. See
http://www.swinc.com/resources/exchange/faq_db.asp?status=questions&faqID=1000&faqname=Exchange%205.5&sectionID=1013&sectionName=Why%20PST%20=%20BAD

omko h wrote:
> In my organisation a lot of users use a pst file to archive their
> mail. Currently we have a lot of problem with pst files. I think te
> real problem is the file server on which the pst files are stored.
>
> Does any of you people know that there are known problems with large
> (500 Mb +) pst files on a network share?
>
> hope you can help.

0
lanwench (7567)
8/4/2004 4:40:59 PM
Lanwench [MVP - Exchange]
<lanwench@heybuddy.donotsendme.unsolicitedmail.atyahoo.com> wrote:

> In addition, if you have Exchange, avoid PSTs.

Only easily done if the Exchange administrator is reasonable in how large
mailboxes are allowed to be and you don't need to archive anything.
--
Brian Tillman

0
tillman1952 (16053)

Off-Line file question
Outlook 2003 running on XP SP2 I've enabled my pst files to be synchronised Off-line - what I can't fathom out is where I point Outlook on my laptop to, to enable it to use the Off-line pst when not connected to the network. I'm probably missing something very simple here, but can someone enlighten me? Thanks PST-files? OST-files are being used to cache the Exchange mailbox. Could you tell us a little more about your setup like account types being used and where you store all your data files? -- Robert Sparnaaij [MVP-Outlook] www.howto-outlook.com Tips of the month: -Prop...

Email large messages
Hi, I have to email large DWG & zip files attached to email messages and have been having trouble with breaking apart large mess. in outlook express. I set maximum file size to 1500KB but they never seem to get reconstituted on the receiving end. If I send a message with a 6MB attachment the receiving end gets 4 file: 1 of 4, 2 of 4.... 4 of 4 and so on and they can not do anything with it. Thanks for any help. Joe This newsgroup is for support of Outlook 97, 98, 2000, 2002 & 2003 from the Office family for Intel PCs. For Outlook Express (OE) support try posting in one of thes...

Deligating problem
Just got a new member server to act as a backup on my now two server network. Installed Backup exec and going trough the process of setting up the Exchange backup. http://support.veritas.com/docs/249456 When I try to Delgate control to my Backup Exec user, I get the following message: To fully administer an Exchange server, the deligated user or group must also be a member of the local machine Administrators group." Big question: How do a I add an AD user the "local machine Administartors group" on a DOMAIN CONTROLLER? On Fri, 13 Apr 2007 14:00:40 -0600, "Alp...

Problem creating first public folder #2
I have SBS 2003 with Exchange 2003 installed. I have problem when trying to create the first public folder. I get an error message with the ID n. ID no: 80040E19 Can anyone help me with that ? Thanks ...

How to config for exchange & local files
I have a home office setup. Due to bandwidth constraints I created a local file for my contacts, notes, & tasks, but mail & calender are on the exchange server (I need everyone to see my calender). This works fine. However, if I view Outlook Today or Calender view the tasks are empty because it's looking for the tasks on the excange server not my local file. How do I change these views to function correctly? I'm using Outlook 2002. Thanks Why not configure your Exchange account for offline use by configuring an ost-file? This way you have a local copy of your Exchange mai...

How large is a chart?
I am just asking out of curiosity. How large, in kilobytes, is a chart; say, a 1000-point x-y scatter? I had a large file whose size was halved when the charts were deleted (actually, they were lost, along with formats and scenarios, when the file got corrupted; see "story" below). In my non-expert view, it should not be so large, because the only information unique to the chart is its position, size, format, and similar details. The actual data itself is contained in the data-range cells, so should not have to be repeated in the chart itself. Not only the formulas but th...

Cannot open files into excel
I cannot open email files or shortcut files into excel. The only way I can open them is when in excel got to file and open. The error message says "cannot find file location" or form email "system cannot find file" any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks, This are the usual things to fix this Tools>Options>General uncheck "Ignore other Applications" Exit Excel and try again If this doesn't work try to re-register Excel Close Excel first and On the Windows Taskbar 1 ) Start>Run "excel.exe /unregserver"(no quotes)>...

Office 2007 Custom File Uninstall
I've created a custom Office 2007 Standard install .MSP which includes files and reg keys added to the package. And it installs perfectly. But the uninstall (from ARP or setup.exe /uninstall standard) does not remove these entries. Normally I would handle this all using Custom Actions int he MSI, but OCT precludes that option. Am I missing something in my customization? or does OCT not remove customizations (even though their site says it does)? Any and all advice welcome. ...

Need help printing labels from address file in MS Publisher
Would like printed instruction on how to print labels from an address list created in Publisher On Fri, 30 Dec 2005 13:41:02 +0000, Mary-Anne wrote (in article <E8EDABD7-208E-4875-BB5F-E862BE6AD4DC@microsoft.com>): > Would like printed instruction on how to print labels from an address list > created in Publisher Google is your friend. This topic has been addressed many times before. This article has a step-by-step for labels (Publisher 2002-03) Create a mail merge http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/assistance/HP052584251033.aspx 2000 http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/assis...

Word macro to save files as .txt
Would like to strip formatting from large group of small files and save as text files. Can a Word 2003 macro be created that will take a folder of small .docs and save all .docs as .txt files. If so, how can this be done? If not, is there some other method that can be used to automate this task. Ultimately, would like to concatenate all .txt files into one large file and use in another program - not word processing program. Thanks You could modify the macro in the article "Find & ReplaceAll on a batch of documents in the same folder” at: http://www.word.mvps.org/...

activex problem
Hi, I'm using pdf activex control, and when I insert it into MFC project I have very limitted functionality, but when I use inside VB all methods and properties works. Is there a way to have them all in VC++ project? Wrapper classes generated automatically are already limited. "Bob" <kc2ine@yahoo.com> wrote in message news:%23Ur06Bz1DHA.3436@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl... > Hi, > I'm using pdf activex control, and when I insert it into MFC project > I have very limitted functionality, but when I use inside VB all methods > and properties works. Is there a way t...

mailbox.pst handle invalid
I cannot access my inbox, I receive a message saying file mailbox.pst. The handle is invalid ...

Increasing recently opened files list
Does anyone know how to increase number of files shown in recently opened files list? Mine shows four, and I'd like eight or ten, the same as I get in all my other MS applications. Any auggestions?? Thanks. tabboo wrote: > Does anyone know how to increase number of files shown in > recently opened files list? Mine shows four, and I'd like > eight or ten, the same as I get in all my other MS > applications. Any auggestions?? Thanks. =================================== What is the name and version of the program you are referring to? -- John Inzer return e-mail disabled...

Background Color of Shared Calendar in Outlook 2007
I know how to change the color background of my own calendar. Is it possible to change the color background of a calendar I've been given access to through "Sharing." Thanks. ...

Problem Sending Email using Outlook 2000
I am attempting to send an email to a 130 person distribution list. The email is very short but has a 451 kb attachment. I am repeatedly getting the following message from System Administrator Your message did not reach some or all of the intended recipients. Subject: My Subject Sent: 5/28/2005 11:03 AM The following recipient(s) could not be reached: RecipientOne (E-mail) on 5/28/2005 11:03 AM No transport provider was available for delivery to this recipient. RecipientTwo (E-mail) on 5/28/2005 11:03 AM No transport provider was available ...

Large fonts
How can I get fonts larger than 72? Hi swirem70, In the point-size box, you can type any point size, from 1 to 1638, in 0.5pt increments. -- Cheers macropod [Microsoft MVP - Word] "swirem70" <swirem70@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:9BEC0E88-CFF7-454F-B714-15D6538BBF02@microsoft.com... > How can I get fonts larger than 72? ....and press Enter. -- Suzanne S. Barnhill Microsoft MVP (Word) Words into Type Fairhope, Alabama USA http://word.mvps.org "macropod" <macropod@invalid.invalid> wrote in message news:%236N...

problems with e-mail a) junk and b) not removing from server?
Apologies for cross-posting (wasn't sure which of the two was the best forum to post this to) I admit, much as I'd like to use Outlook for e-mail, because I use newsgroups in the past I've always used Outlook Express for all my e-mail needs. With Office 2003 I finally decided to move across to Outlook (yet again it doesn't have a built-in news viewer...sigh). I have two fairly major problems... a) I've set up rules to move messages from different accounts into separate folders. These work well, but it seems TOO well. Occasionally Outlook will tell me that it has spotted ...

SafePay txt Files
I have a client who has numerous companies that initillize SafePay. The would like to combine all the txt files into one file to upload to the bank Any suggestions Found the following at the CustomerSource Knowledgebase: No, currently this feature is not available for Safe Pay. Right now, when you upload information to the .txt file for Safe Pay, this is must be done one company at a time. Also, if you tried to use the same .txt file for all companies, this would not work either because the file is not appended with each upload, it is overwritten every time. So, if you ran the upload...

Max size of Money file?
Hi all, Is there a maximum size for Money file? I am worried because I have been using Money for many years and my file is now nearly 11MB. Thanks for any advice. There may be one, but it's MUCH larger than that. There's a limitations MSKB item, but I don't think it specifies any max file size. There are limits to the number of categories and accounts and so forth but they are all in the tens of thousands. My file is 61.7 MB this morning and has data collection from 1993 forward. I wouldn't worry and I surely wouldn't consider the File|Archive scheme. Is there a...

large email stuck in Outbox
I have an email with a large attachmment stuck in my Outbox. After trying to send it I get the error message gtom my email server that the email is too large. The problem is that outlook won't let me delete the email. I get either no message when trying to delete or Outlook tells me that it is already being send and I cannot delte while sending. Is there any way to get rid of this email? Hi, Log off from outlook. Kill Mapisp32.exe Then remove the network cable. Connect to outlook Work Offline Now u can delete the file from Outbox. Rgds, Kishore >-----Original Message----- &g...

Speed issues with large volume of serial numbers
Has anyone had issues auto assigning/posting a receipt with 100,000+ serial numbers in Dynamics GP? We were testing with the GP10 4/08 VPC (which I know isn't perfect), but it seems to take 15 or 20 minutes to assign. And 3rd party add-ons? hi Msauce What kind of Hardware are running this on? It sounds like the SQL server is having an issue and not he client. -- Fliehigh "MSauce" wrote: > Has anyone had issues auto assigning/posting a receipt with 100,000+ serial > numbers in Dynamics GP? We were testing with the GP10 4/08 VPC (which I know > isn't p...

recent file list
Under TOOLS, options, general etc. the Most recent file list entry is greyed out. Cannot change it. I don't think it has always been like this. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Windows 2000, office pro 2003, etrust antivirus, spybot, no firewall, aol dialup, dell laptop, office sp-1 many thanks Sorry - wrong group. Please ignore "chromian" wrote: > Under TOOLS, options, general etc. the Most recent file list entry is greyed > out. Cannot change it. > I don't think it has always been like this. Any suggestions would be greatly > appreciated. ...

Network logon
Hi, Some time ago, someone replied with a method to get the network logon and used createobject. It has the same functionality as Declare Function GetUserName Lib "advapi32.dll" Alias "GetUserNameA" _ (ByVal lpBuffer As String, nSize As Long) As Long Can someone refresh my mind. TIA. With kind regards, JP You are a little bit vague. I did a google search for the following and got lots of different answers VBA GetUserName advapi32.dll createobject -- joel ------------------------------------------------------------------------ joe...

Slow (or sometimes no) connection to exchange server
We have exchange server running on a Win-2K machine. There is no DNS server set up for our local network (we don't really need one) and I suspect that the lack of local name resolution for the exchange server machine is responsible for the unpredictable or erratic connectivity that we experience on our mostly Win-98 network. Will the addition of the appropriate entry in the client hosts file remedy or substitute for a functioning local DNS server? How do I formulate the correct syntax for the host entry? (I mean, how do I determine the correct machine-name.domain.TLD format? Where on ...

cell address problem
in Excel 2002, my column names have changed from letters to numbers. how do I change them back? -- solrac99 ------------------------------------------------------------------------ solrac99's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=23899 View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=375316 Tools>Options>General Uncheck R1C1 Reference style Does that help? Ro -- Ron Coderr ----------------------------------------------------------------------- Ron Coderre's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo...