Junk Mail Filters -- how to use them?

In two weeks, I've graduated from being a baby-Outlook user to a toddler.
Please continue to bear with me.

I have activated junk mail filters in Outlook 2002.  I may have added one or
two senders.
* Where do I look to see who I've added?
* I can't find where to configure the junk mail filters, except to turn them
on or off.
* How do I make sure that anybody in my contacts can go ahead and send me
junk and porn?  lol
* I gather the junk mail filter for v2003 can be updated from MS.  Does
Outlook 2002 have a way to update the junk mail filter?

Thank you.

--
Lady Dungeness
Crabby, but Great Legs!

Lady Dungeness <lady.dungeness@DavyJonesLocker.net> wrote:

> In two weeks, I've graduated from being a baby-Outlook user to a
> toddler. Please continue to bear with me.
>
> I have activated junk mail filters in Outlook 2002.  I may have added
> one or two senders.

Outlook 2002's junk mail filter is poor at best.

> * Where do I look to see who I've added?

To which list, the Junk Senders or the Adult Senders list, did you add them?
Both of those lists are simply text files that you can edit with Notepad.
They're in %AppData%\Microsoft\Outlook.

> * I can't find where to configure the junk mail filters, except to
> turn them on or off.

That's all you can do in OL2002.

> * How do I make sure that anybody in my contacts can go ahead and
> send me junk and porn?

Add them to the Rules Wizard exceptions list.

> * I gather the junk mail filter for v2003 can be updated from MS.
> Does Outlook 2002 have a way to update the junk mail filter?

No.  Outlook 2002's junk mail filter is not trainable or updateable.  See
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/286049/
--
Brian Tillman

0
tillman1952 (16052)
7/3/2007 1:30:19 AM
Thank you, Brian; your answers have saved me hours!  I'll find those text
files and do some editing -- do they accept wildcards, and if so, which
ones?

Lady D
Dungeness are Deeeeeeeeeeeeelicious!

| Lady Dungeness <lady.dungeness@DavyJonesLocker.net> wrote:
|
| > In two weeks, I've graduated from being a baby-Outlook user to a
| > toddler. Please continue to bear with me.
| >
| > I have activated junk mail filters in Outlook 2002.  I may have added
| > one or two senders.
|
| Outlook 2002's junk mail filter is poor at best.
|
| > * Where do I look to see who I've added?
|
| To which list, the Junk Senders or the Adult Senders list, did you add
them?
| Both of those lists are simply text files that you can edit with Notepad.
| They're in %AppData%\Microsoft\Outlook.
|
| > * I can't find where to configure the junk mail filters, except to
| > turn them on or off.
|
| That's all you can do in OL2002.
|
| > * How do I make sure that anybody in my contacts can go ahead and
| > send me junk and porn?
|
| Add them to the Rules Wizard exceptions list.
|
| > * I gather the junk mail filter for v2003 can be updated from MS.
| > Does Outlook 2002 have a way to update the junk mail filter?
|
| No.  Outlook 2002's junk mail filter is not trainable or updateable.  See
| http://support.microsoft.com/kb/286049/
| --
| Brian Tillman

Lady Dungeness <lady.dungeness@DavyJonesLocker.net> wrote:

> Thank you, Brian; your answers have saved me hours!  I'll find those
> text files and do some editing -- do they accept wildcards, and if
> so, which ones?

They don't accept wildcards, but the do accept substrings, so if you want to
stop mail from abc.com, abc.org, abc.net, and abc.info, just use "abc".
Likewise, if you want to stop mail from sales@abc.com, sales@xyz.com, and
sales@onetwothree.com, just use "sales".  If you want to stop mail from,
say, any Russian domain, you can use ".ru".  Keep in mind, though, that
using "jones" to stop mail from obnoxious@jonesville.com will also stop mail
from tom.jones@hipster.org and lord.dungeness@DavyJonesLocker.net.
--
Brian Tillman

0
tillman1952 (16052)
7/3/2007 12:58:00 PM
Super.  That's as good as wildcards for my purposes.

Pssssssst:  They ain't no Lord 'round here -- Lady's got all the power in
her own powerful, grasping claws.

Now -- How do I make a little Crab picture using ASCII?

Lady Dungeness
Grinning @ Brian, Deep in the Cold Dark Sea

| Lady Dungeness <lady.dungeness@DavyJonesLocker.net> wrote:
|
| > Thank you, Brian; your answers have saved me hours!  I'll find those
| > text files and do some editing -- do they accept wildcards, and if
| > so, which ones?
|
| They don't accept wildcards, but the do accept substrings, so if you want
| stop mail from abc.com, abc.org, abc.net, and abc.info, just use "abc".
| Likewise, if you want to stop mail from sales@abc.com, sales@xyz.com, and
| sales@onetwothree.com, just use "sales".  If you want to stop mail from,
| say, any Russian domain, you can use ".ru".  Keep in mind, though, that
| using "jones" to stop mail from obnoxious@jonesville.com will also stop
mail
| from tom.jones@hipster.org and lord.dungeness@DavyJonesLocker.net.
| --
| Brian Tillman

Maximum mail store size exceeded
Hello, I maintain a MS 2003 SBS. I have received the message, "Maximum mail store size exceeded,etc." on an individual user's account. The size of his mailbox is 200,000KB. I moved some of his mail to archive to temporary eleviate the issue and it's now functioning. Question is why in GOD's name is 200,000KB his limit????? The entire company has only used around 3GB of mail between them all, so the 16GB limit is not the case. I have "cache mode" enabled on this particular user, but other than that I have made NO adjustments to his settings. Can I ...

e-mails are very large for just text
When using Outlook 2000, Windows 2000, and Word as the outlook e-mail editor, the e-mails wind up very large. I have set the e-mail format to be just plain text, but still an e-mail the size of this newsgroup posting message, may be anywhere from 5Kb to 98Kb. Responses will be even larger. I like to use Word as the editor, since I use the autotext entries quite frequently when writing e-mails. How can I reduce the e-mail size? Many of the people I send e-mail to are at remote locations and on dial-up connections. Thank you, John Gregory if you're using Word as the e-mail ed...

Using Outlook client with OWA
There are occasions where I do not have access to the corporate network (VPN) but can access my mail via OWA. Is there a way to configure OutlookXP to retrieve mail from the exchange server via OWA? I know you can easily configure Outlook 2003 to check HTTP based mail services like hotmail, but can this be done for OWA? As far as I know, no "DerekVM" <yaderek@yahoo.com> wrote in message news:1140206691.857870.290530@z14g2000cwz.googlegroups.com... > There are occasions where I do not have access to the corporate network > > (VPN) but can access my mail via OWA....

using photos as screensavers
I have Vista and my photos when used as a screensaver will never turn off. Windows screensavers will, but mine won't. I have Vista. I called the tech and they couldn't get it to work either. I don't know if this is just peculiar to Vista or what. It worked on my XP. The message I posted 2 hours ago was really a test with tech, so hopefully someone will read this one and help. Thanks, <pattichati@live.com> wrote in message news:D4335420-6C2C-41FF-B120-C7E3D9BFB8DB@microsoft.com... > I have Vista and my photos when used as a screensaver will never tur...

Junk E-mail Options
I have selected the check box to: Permanently delete suspected junk e-mail instead of moving it to the Junk E- mail folder The problem is Outlook is ignoring my request and still putting it in the Junk E-mail folder, where I have to manually delete it. Doesn't this work like the Junk E- mail option in Office XP? Thanks. ...

Need help using a SPC tool
I'm using a set of calipers linked to a PC via the keyboard port. Data is recorded when you press a button on the calipers to a SPC spreadsheet I made in Excel. After inputting data in 15 columns I'd like the cell pointer to go to the first of the 15 colums on the next row automatically. Any suggestions? Thanks in advance! Mike --- Outgoing mail is certified Virus Free. Checked by AVG anti-virus system (http://www.grisoft.com). Version: 6.0.512 / Virus Database: 309 - Release Date: 8/19/03 You could try something like the code posted at http://groups.google.com/groups?selm=3F0BF...

Automated Mail
how to create a rule to send a mail which is stored in draft or inbox or folders to a certian email address on a certain date Outlook doesn't send from drafts like that - you can either set a message to send later or use task scheduler. -- Diane Poremsky [MVP - Outlook] Author, Teach Yourself Outlook 2003 in 24 Hours Coauthor, OneNote 2003 for Windows (Visual QuickStart Guide) Need Help with Common Tasks? http://www.outlook-tips.net/beginner/ Outlook 2007: http://www.slipstick.com/outlook/ol2007/ Outlook Tips: http://www.outlook-tips.net/ Outlook & Exchange Solutions Center: http...

Dead Mail
Hi all, I assume the junk email that exchange catches ends up in Dead Mail. My Question is how can I read and retrieve dead mail/old junk mail. -- Vince If you've got the IMF installed and set to archive, then junk mail ends up in the 'ucearchive' folder underneath your SMTP virtual server folders. If you're referring to the BadMail folder, then this is where Exchange stores (for want of a better description) NDRs that cannot be delivered. -- Neil Hobson Exchange MVP http://www.msexchange.org/Neil_Hobson/ "Vince" <Vince@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote...

filter a form using a seperate form.
I can creat a search field on a form to filter records based on a certain field data. I would like to be able to do this on two different forms, meaning my search button will be on a different form than the one it applys filter to. I do not know how to reference the form I need to apply filter to. Can some one give me an idea. I just need a simple example. Regards. -- Message posted via AccessMonster.com http://www.accessmonster.com/Uwe/Forums.aspx/access/200708/1 To reference another form's Filter property: Forms!FormName.Form.Filter = "?" Once you set the Filter property y...

Most Recently Used list (MRU)
My Most Recently Used list (MRU) does not always list the Most Recently Used file. Sometimes the file i just used shows up and sometimes it doesnt. I cant find a pattern to identfy why it lists. Basically, i would like it to show any time i open the file. Or, at least if i save the file. How can i understand and control this. I now have it set to 9 Most Recently Used files. Thanks, Dave The MRU will only show those files that you open using Files | Open.... If you use a macro to open a file, or double click on a file to open it, then those won't show up. You can use a macro t...

outlook classifying ALL emails as junk and moving to delete
How do i change this? ...

setting for sent mail
Hi, I am using Outlook 2003 with two e-mail accounts (1) a hotmail (HTTP) account and (2) a fastmail (IMAP) account. When I use Outlook to send an e-mail from the IMAP account, it places a copy of the sent message in the MSN Hotmail Sent folder rather than the fastmail folder. I want Outlook to file sent items in the sent folder of the account from wich I sent it. I am pretty sure that I'm missing an obvious setting but just can't find it. Any help would be really appreciated! Michael friedman_michael AT nospam.hotmail.com Hi, Apologies if my previous post was not clear. D...

reference cell from advanced filter
I'm sure this is slam dunk, but I can't figure it out :) On worksheet 1, I have executed an Advanced filter of 900 rows, to get down to one row. No problem. Now, on Worksheet 2, I want to reference an ID number from my filtered row. Obviously, simply doing a regular cell reference won't work (=Sheet1!G271), because the filtered row will NOT always be row 271. So, how the heck do I reference the filtered cell without going back and linking to it new each time? The below formula will return the 1st entry in Column G from the filtered data in Sheet1. =INDEX...

Take long time to check new mails
When I click 'Sync', the 'Checking Mail...' takes a long time (about 1 minute) to complete even when I don't have any new messages. And when I close the program while syncing, a dialog box remains for about 1 minute displaying 'Downloading all messages from..' for every IMAP folder. I usually click 'Sync' to check for new messages. And because auto syncing on start up is enabled, when i just open the program to have a quick look at an older e-mail, the program cannot be closed instantly. Every other client I have used doesn't take more...

junk emails
how do I stop receiving blank junk emails that are usually 200 a day? Dave895 wrote on Sat, 03 April 2010 00:37 > how do I stop receiving blank junk emails that are usually 200 a day? With the company that hosts my E-mail( The Message center) they use Google app PostInin and you are allowed to black list or block a sender. If you do not have this ability you can block a sender with in Outlook. Tools > Options > Junk E-mail > Block Senders. Hope this helps. Submitted using http://www.outlookforums.com "Dave895" <Dave895@discussions.microsoft.com> wr...

Junk mail not moved to Junk folder
When I first installed Outlook 2003, I could right-click on an email and inform Outlook to add this sender to the list of junk mail and then Outlook would automatically move the email to the junk folder. Recently, I had to reinstall Outlook 2003. Now, after telling Outlook 2003 to add this sender to the list of junk email senders, the message stays in my inbox and I have to delete it. I've searched all the options screens but can't figure this one out. Appreciate any help. ...

Sharepoint 2007
Hello, Been searching for 3 hours and getting no where - some what of a newbe.. What am I trying to do ? On Sharepoint 2007 Wish to access Excel files stored on a file server using UNC paths - simple or so I thought... have set up trusted file location eg file:\\fileserver1\files type UNC trust children =Yes Then I go to a PC - access the web site - edit Excel web component go to browse a workbook location type file:\\fileserver1\files in the URL press the arrow icon "Cannot find this location in the current site collection" When I try the "...

duplicate mails
i have an exh 2000 server which is sending duplicate mails to a forwarded user the amount of time that there is a copy of the mail going to the exch 2000 server list? E.G if i send a mail to user1 and user2, user2 being a forward out to an external user, then user2 get the message twice. if i repeat the message attaching user3, then user2 gets three messages. Can anybody offer any help on this as i have looked and tried everywhere else! ...

using Outlook Express for yahoo mail
Is it possible to use Outlook Express to check the email on my yahoo account? Does anyone know what to put in for the pop 3 server when using yahoo? Any setting would be appreciated.. Thanks for the help...tcoop Tom This is the wrong group. This group is for OL (Outlook) You might want to try the microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6_outlookexpress on this same server. To answer your question as far as I know yes it is possible and you will have to contact yahoo for their pop3 and smtp server ady's Peter "Tom C" <c_tom@nospam.net> wrote in message new...

E-mails don't apprear in the others users
Hello In the company we have Exchange Server 2000 and Outlook 2002 and 2003. I actived the option "Chached Mode" with Exchange. The Sales Force users to travel a lot and they work from any computer in the domain and they have access to e-mails. But when I actived the "Cached Mode" option one copy local was done in one computer and the other computers can't read the e-amils. How I can do to work with "Chached Mode" and in the same time be able to work with others computers? Or how can I restore this e-mails in the server to work with Outlook 2002 like ...

junk email #10
I know how to label junk emails and have them killed befor they come in but lately have been getting emails with nothing in the sender field. The junk email feature adds the sender to the blocked senders list and it won't accept a blank. I would like to block any emails coming in with a blank senders field. Any ideas?? Tnx Loretta Loretta Pirozzi <seattlewalks@msn.com> wrote: > I would like to block any emails coming in with a blank > senders field. Create a rule that deletes all messages _except_ if they contain some character in the sender field. -- Brian Tillman...

deploying outlook 2003 with office xp using ciw
In my company office xp is used but for performance reasons oulook 2003 needs to be installed in office xp there is a seperate msi for outlook but now i tried to use the ciw i only selected outlook but when i silently install i get every hing but outlook if i install interactively i do see the same options that i chose for the mst .. help any body?? ...

Is Windows Mail causing email from getting to my blackberry?
I have a webmail POP3 account for work. Instead of checking email on the web, I set it up in Windows Mail. On my web email I chose to leave a copy on the server. I also did this when I set up the Windows Mail account. Regularly, email stops coming to my blackberry and I have to validate my password on my blackberry constantly. Does Windows Mail have anything to do with this? No. However, some providers don't allow multiple POP downloads. Who is the mail provider for that account? --=20 Gary VanderMolen, Microsoft MVP (Mail) http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/default.as...

Mail Merge Security
When I use Word and Outlook to send form letters to the e- mail address, I have to click YES to authorize each letter being sent - even if it is 800 letters. This must be a new setting with XP since it did not work this way in 2000. Any recommendations on how to get around it? If you install the April 25, 2002, Word 2002 update, and send the messages in HTML format, you should not get the security prompt anymore. (It was actually introduced in Outlook 2000 SP2.) See http://www.slipstick.com/contacts/startletter.htm#ol2kmerge for more information (look in the Outlook 2002 section). -- J...

Relief "JUNK" sensitivity
Hi, In a 2k3 Exchange, I was configuring RPC over HTTP (I am not certain if that had anything to do with the problem I am posting here) and suddenly busniess emails: 1 - Are sometimes considered JUNK. 2 - Are being delivered to my email box (I have administrator priviliges.) How to: 1 - Reliefe sensitivity on junk mail classification? 2 - Even if considered junk, how to direct those emails to their destined box? Thanks Yba The answer to your questions depend on: What anti-spam solution(s) are you using? Are these buisness emails originating internally or comming from an external sources ...