INBOX contents displayed in Calendar, Contact and Task views - Outlook 2003

About two days ago, icons for Calendar, Contact, and Task suddenly
appeared in my email Favorite Folder window on the left side of the
overall email view.

Trying to remove these icons from the Favorites view and then running
SCANPST apparently got rid of these icons.

At the same time, the Inbox list (center panel) now displays when I
switch to Calendar, Contacts, or Tasks, using the navigation icons on
the very bottom of the left panel.

The only way that I can display the Calendar, Contacts or Tasks is to
select the Files navigation icon, select the right folder from the
files list, and then switch to the correct view in order to get the
correct left panel displayed.

What happened?  What did I do (wrong?)  How can I fix this problem?  A
Google search did not help.

-AH

Andrew Hamilton <Ahamilton90900@yahoo.com> wrote:

> At the same time, the Inbox list (center panel) now displays when I
> switch to Calendar, Contacts, or Tasks, using the navigation icons on
> the very bottom of the left panel.
>
> The only way that I can display the Calendar, Contacts or Tasks is to
> select the Files navigation icon, select the right folder from the
> files list, and then switch to the correct view in order to get the
> correct left panel displayed.

Try resetting the navigation pane.  Start Outlook once with the
/resetnavpane command switch.
--
Brian Tillman [MVP-Outlook]

0
tillman1952 (16053)
7/30/2008 7:53:42 PM
On Wed, 30 Jul 2008 15:53:42 -0400, "Brian Tillman"
<tillman1952@yahoo.com> wrote:

>Andrew Hamilton <Ahamilton90900@yahoo.com> wrote:
>
>> At the same time, the Inbox list (center panel) now displays when I
>> switch to Calendar, Contacts, or Tasks, using the navigation icons on
>> the very bottom of the left panel.
>>
>> The only way that I can display the Calendar, Contacts or Tasks is to
>> select the Files navigation icon, select the right folder from the
>> files list, and then switch to the correct view in order to get the
>> correct left panel displayed.
>
>Try resetting the navigation pane.  Start Outlook once with the
>/resetnavpane command switch.

This worked fine UNTIL I tried to remove the Follow Up or Unread
folders from the Favorite Folders part of the left email panel.
Instant crasheroo.

First time I restarted after the crash, I still had the old problems.
After that, Outlook restarted itself after each crash, and the
Calendar, Contacts, and Task windows displayed properly.

So far, so good.  I'm just not touching those two "sacred" favorites.

-AH
if removing those folders cause outlook to crash and you ran the
resetnavpane switch, the profile is toast.  you could try deleting the *.xml
that holds the navigation pane data  but I think you'll need to make a new
profile.

--
Diane Poremsky [MVP - Outlook]

Outlook Tips by email:

newsreader to msnews.microsoft.com.

"Andrew Hamilton" <Ahamilton90900@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> On Wed, 30 Jul 2008 15:53:42 -0400, "Brian Tillman"
> <tillman1952@yahoo.com> wrote:
>
>>Andrew Hamilton <Ahamilton90900@yahoo.com> wrote:
>>
>>> At the same time, the Inbox list (center panel) now displays when I
>>> switch to Calendar, Contacts, or Tasks, using the navigation icons on
>>> the very bottom of the left panel.
>>>
>>> The only way that I can display the Calendar, Contacts or Tasks is to
>>> select the Files navigation icon, select the right folder from the
>>> files list, and then switch to the correct view in order to get the
>>> correct left panel displayed.
>>
>>Try resetting the navigation pane.  Start Outlook once with the
>>/resetnavpane command switch.
>
> This worked fine UNTIL I tried to remove the Follow Up or Unread
> folders from the Favorite Folders part of the left email panel.
> Instant crasheroo.
>
> First time I restarted after the crash, I still had the old problems.
> After that, Outlook restarted itself after each crash, and the
> Calendar, Contacts, and Task windows displayed properly.
>
> So far, so good.  I'm just not touching those two "sacred" favorites.
>
> -AH

0
outlookmvp (5838)
7/31/2008 5:15:27 AM
On Thu, 31 Jul 2008 01:15:27 -0400, "Diane Poremsky [MVP]"
<outlookmvp@msn.com> wrote:

>if removing those folders cause outlook to crash and you ran the
>resetnavpane switch, the profile is toast.  you could try deleting the *.xml
>that holds the navigation pane data  but I think you'll need to make a new
>profile.

Thanks.  I'll do that.

I think the "lesson learned" here is that whenever  I have an Outlook
problem that can't be fixed by SCANPST,  I should first check all the
command line switches to see if one of them _might just_ solve my
problem.

If that doesn't work completely, then it's "new profile" time.

If that doesn't work, what do I do?  Create a whole new PST file and
copy over all my folders?  That's an ugly process, since I have to
switch the location of the active INBOX.

If Outlook 2007 were more "self-healing" that alone would be a reason
to upgrade from Office 2003 to 2007, despite all the pain with the new
"ribbon" and the reported slow performance.

-AH
it's highly unlikely that a pst is the cause of the problems.

--

> On Thu, 31 Jul 2008 01:15:27 -0400, "Diane Poremsky [MVP]"
> <outlookmvp@msn.com> wrote:
>
>>if removing those folders cause outlook to crash and you ran the
>>resetnavpane switch, the profile is toast.  you could try deleting the
>>*.xml
>>that holds the navigation pane data  but I think you'll need to make a new
>>profile.
>

> Thanks.  I'll do that.
>
> I think the "lesson learned" here is that whenever  I have an Outlook
> problem that can't be fixed by SCANPST,  I should first check all the
> command line switches to see if one of them _might just_ solve my
> problem.
>
> If that doesn't work completely, then it's "new profile" time.
>
> If that doesn't work, what do I do?  Create a whole new PST file and
> copy over all my folders?  That's an ugly process, since I have to
> switch the location of the active INBOX.
>
> If Outlook 2007 were more "self-healing" that alone would be a reason
> to upgrade from Office 2003 to 2007, despite all the pain with the new
> "ribbon" and the reported slow performance.
>
> -AH

0
outlookmvp (5838)

no inbox
I just added another email account to my outlook, but I can't find an inbox for the new email address. What version of Outlook are you using? Adding a new e-mail account doesn't create any new Inboxes - the e-mail will go into the same Inbox as the existing accounts. -- -Ben- Ben M. Schorr, MVP Roland Schorr & Tower http://www.rolandschorr.com http://www.officeforlawyers.com/outlook.htm <lisareyna@aol.com> wrote in message news:1193371832.071337.126490@57g2000hsv.googlegroups.com... >I just added another email account to my outlook, but I can't find an > in...

Sorting contacts into different folders
I've always used Outlook express and could separate contacts into different folders making it easier to find different contacts, ie personal, business, friends, etc, but now that I have changed to windows 7 and I am using outlook 2007 and for the life of me I cant figure out how to separate contacts so I don't have to go thru every contact to find what I need. Can someone give me an idea on how to manage this? Jim S File > New > Folder Rarely is creating separate Contacts Folders a preferred way to organize Contacts. Categories work better. -- Russ Valen...

Can a formula be "built" referencing text content from another cel
Hi, and thank you for your help. I have run across this need many times...is there any way to use to contents of one cell, to construct a formula in another cell? Here is my particular requirement. I have worksheets named January, February, March...etc. On a separate Summary Worksheet, I reference the same cells on each of those sheets. For example, I may have in 3 adjacent cells, =January!A1 =February!A1 =March!A1 and then in the next row: =January!A7 =February!A7 =March!A7 etc. It would, obviously, be much easier to "build a f...

Display files and subfolders in Grid
I have a GridView that is displaying all the files and in a specific directory and it works fine. However, there are now folders (subfolders) inside that directory that I would also like to display (maybe with a folder icon which I can figure out). How can I get all files and folders to display in my GridView? Below is the portion of code that I now use to display the files. Thanks. Dim dirInfo As New DirectoryInfo(strPathPhy) Dim fileInfoArray() As FileInfo = dirInfo.GetFiles() Array.Sort(fileInfoArray, New CompareFileInfoEntries(compar...

Business Contact Manager and a Palm
Hi, I just got myself a Palm Tungsten E, and when I synchronised Outlook and the Palm, the only contact that were transfered from Outlook are those in the standard contact. Now What I would like to do is to transfert my Business Contact as well as my personnal without having to move the entire list from the "Business Contact" to "Contact" -- Thank you in Advance Merci a l'Avance Martin That all depends on your sync tool. Third-party synchronization tools may be able to synchronize multiple contacts or journal folders, which is what BCM uses. Chapura has updated...

Splitting cell contents into 2 cells
If a cell contains a set of numbers separated by a hyphen (eg, 1234-5678, can the contents be splitted up into 2 cells without the hyphen (ie, 1234 in 1 cell and 5678 in another cell)? You can either do the simple: Data - Text to columns, delimited by hypen Or, you could try and do: =VALUE(LEFT(A2,FIND("-",A2)-1)) in one cells and =VALUE(MID(A2,FIND("-",A2)+1,999)) in the other. -- Best Regards, Luke M "Florence Tay" <Florence Tay@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:CAAD53DB-68CD-4B7D-A46D-805E5EEA59D4@microsoft.com... ...

IMAP Inbox empty
Outlook 2007 on Windows XP SP2, both fully updated. Opened it this morning and the IMAP Inbox is completely empty. Emails showing on Webmail and in Thunderbird, but O2007 Inbox empty! (All the other subscribed folders are OK - it's just the Inbox). How do I fix this? Remove the account then add it back again. It should grab everything in the IMAP Online Store. -- Bill R MVP "Gordon" <gbplinux@gmail.com.invalid> wrote in message news:O7PC8go%23HHA.5160@TK2MSFTNGP05.phx.gbl... > Outlook 2007 on Windows XP SP2, both fully updated. > Opened it this morning and t...

how do I combine 2 inboxes my regular inbox and an 'inbox 1 I cre
In screwing around with my mail message rules,I somehow created an "Inbox1" that has a arrow attaching it to the primary inbox. What's the proper way of either deleting 'inbox1' or whatever I need to do so that all the mail I want goes into the primary inbox ? (which the rules,somehow don't allow me to do unless I'm missing something completely) Any help would be greatly appreciated. Resolved,thanks "bbrebozo" <bbrebozo@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:8A3068D7-355A-4A92-9965-81505371AD2D@microsoft.com... > I...

How can I show my calendar and email panels at the same time?
.. Can this be done?I want to have my calendar on the left half of the monitor and my email showing on the right half of the monitor "toppingj" <toppingj@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:B997FB82-1D72-40B8-9C96-7C7F75A9DAC6@microsoft.com... >. Can this be done?I want to have my calendar on the left half of the > monitor and my email showing on the right half of the monitor What version of Outlook? toppingj <toppingj@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: > . Can this be done?I want to have my calendar on the left half of the > monitor a...

Want 2003, got NT4 domain and separate W2K Exch2000. Suggestions?
Note: I originally posted this to the "windows.server.migration" group and was advised to post it to the Exchange Admin group too. So, ... We have an NT4 domain (lets call it "DOMAIN1") that I want to upgrade to 2003. So I plan to create a new BDC, promote it to PDC, unplug from network and upgrade it to 2003. If it appears to work OK then I will plug it back into network and then upgrade the BDCs and finally the other member servers (all NT4). The clients are mainly XP Pro so I expect they will be fine. I want to keep the domain name of the NT4 domain ("DOMAIN1...

No Messages in Inbox
I can send email, but cannot receive it. The Exchange account is valid, but I am not receiving any email. Any ideas? Need more info - if you're using Exchange, are you opening up the Exchange mailbox directly? what services do you have loaded? What version of Outlook? Have you checked your view settings on the inbox? Have you asked your Exchange admins for help? Brian wrote: > I can send email, but cannot receive it. The Exchange > account is valid, but I am not receiving any email. Any > ideas? ...

Problem with services calendar
Hi, Since a few days, I am not able to get access to the services calendar with the CRM web interface. I get the message : "recording non available" as you can see in the attached picture http://i38.servimg.com/u/f38/13/08/02/00/erreur10.png When I tried to reach the calendar directly on the server, an ASP warning is generated > ID : 1309 / Source : ASP.NET 2.0.50727.0 I found a hotfix which seems (http://support.microsoft.com/kb/941386/en-us) to correct this bug, but it is impossible to install. So, I do not know any more what to do, and where to search in order to corre...

Creating and Printing a booklet from Publisher 2003
I hope someone will be able to help me soon. I am in the process of creating a booklet 8 1/2 by 11 and am having a little problem with printing. I cannot find a template like the one in publisher 2000 under the 2003 version. The booklet will be sent out for printing and the company that I use only has the 2000 version of publisher. She is unable open the document even when I save it as a lower version and is therefore unable to print it. How can I rectify this problem? Thanks Myrttle <Myrttle@discussions.microsoft.com> was very recently heard to utter: > I hope someone wil...

old inbox messages disappearing
Anyone know why old email messages left in the inbox would disappear without being deleted? Usually a filtered view. -- Russ Valentine [MVP-Outlook] "Darla" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:3d5501c42a43$a8f8ce70$a001280a@phx.gbl... > Anyone know why old email messages left in the inbox would > disappear without being deleted? Thanks, I will check my friend's outlook settings. >-----Original Message----- >Usually a filtered view. >-- >Russ Valentine >[MVP-Outlook] >"Darla" <anonymous@discussions.micros...

CRM should match incoming email to the Contact
In CRM v3.0, when the email address exists for both a Lead and a Contact, an incoming email is "not resolved to a record in the system". This would seem to be a significant problem for ALL companies using CRM because the basic CRM flow/methodology is having a Lead and then converting that Lead to a Contact for creating Opportunities, Quotes, etc. Once converted from a Lead to a Contact, by definition, you now have two "entities" with the same email address. Therefore, ANY/ALL further emails from that customer will no longer "resolve to a record in the system&quo...

Size limit on calendar appointments
Does anyone know if there is a size limit on calendar appointments when exported or imported? On our company calendar we add our tradeshows as appointments, then in the appointment's text space we add data like whos going, plane and hotel information, show schedule, etc. Sometimes the notes can be several pages printed. I export the company calendar as a comma separated value (windows) file and send it too our remote users. Then they import the file into there personal calendars. When they do this the appointments show up but the text in the box does not. And the formatting is...

Sharing Calendars! HELP!!
Hi I WILL NOT BUY A PC no matter how much my work partners hate on my mac. I need to view my co-workers calendars. I also need to archive my mail regularly. All of these things are terribly difficult. My office uses Exchange 2003, and I have web mail access. I pull it into Entourage then over to my MAC Mail. I have all kinds of problems and the Microsoft help desk is a joke. I would get more help from Applebees. Any guidance would be helpful. Thanks! Beth On 12/8/09 3:15 PM, in article C744484D.1421%beth@mobilecause.com, "Beth Eisenberg" <beth@mobilecause.com&...

Entourage calendar view preferences
Just upgraded from a G5/Panther/Office 2004 to an Intel MacPro/Leopard/Office 2008. In '04, when I opened my calendar each day it stayed in Month view. Now, it resets to Week view every morning. Is this a local preference or an Exchange server setting? Also, is there still not a way to enlarge the calendar's display font? I thought we'd been asking for that feature since ... oh ... 2004. -- Kristen ...

Task Pane #2
When I open Publisher 2007, the Task Pane automatically opens on the left side of the new document. Is there a way to permanently stop this from opening up every time rather than having to close it each time? I wish... You can tear it off and make it small. Drag it to a less intrusive area. Publisher will remember this maneuver the next time you open the program. -- Mary Sauer http://msauer.mvps.org/ "ItsAlwaysSomething" <ItsAlwaysSomething@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:BC3E06B4-1144-462D-B236-84C846C4293C@microsoft.com... > When I open Publisher ...

How do I make my inbox mails which the receiver is a specific grou
I want to my mails base on the receiver, automatic to different folders. I want to my mails which receiver is a specific group, automatic to a specific folder. How to do that? Many thanks for your replying. You can use the Rules Wizard (on the Tools menu) to move items from different senders to different folders. "vincent" <vincent@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:220B0059-3C29-41C0-BC7C-C4DFBF004E98@microsoft.com... > I want to my mails base on the receiver, automatic to different folders. I > want to my mails which receiver is a specific group, ...

Method to move Exchange 2003 data to a new server
After research the subject above, it looks like the best way for me to do this is detailed in the article at the following link: http://www.windowsitpro.com/Article/ArticleID/20294/20294.html Has anyone done this method before? If so, are there any 'gotchas' that I need to know about before starting this? Some brief details: - Our current E2K3 svr is also the forest root (not my doing!) - Due to this, I will NOT be using the same name - Major reasons for move is disk space/performance Two Questions: Will this also move OWA? Will I have to reinstall the .cer file on the new ...

>>Implementing new 2003 Exchange Server<<
Hi, I am migrating from Exchange 5.5 to 2003. As an security/fallback I am installing Exchange 2003 on a new server. My question is - Does someone know how I will be able to create a script so the clients is connecting to the new server automatically, or better does someone have a script they want to share with me? The script shall work on Outlook 97, 2000, XP and 2003. Kind regards, Kenneth Bess On Fri, 28 Jan 2005 08:22:25 +0100, "Kenneth Bess" <kenneth.bess@t-systems.dk> wrote: >Hi, > >I am migrating from Exchange 5.5 to 2003. As an security/fallback I am...

Can excel take content from another cell and add information either side??
Hi all, If you can help me out you will save me literally weeks / months of work. Basically I am creating a products reviews website and the largest wholesaler of this market area has given me an excel spreadsheet of around 6,000 products, along with html description and product code. They have also given me (seperately) a directory of images. The images are named PRODUCTCODE-FULL.jpg (the same product code as is in the spreadsheet). I will be importing the whole file into my websites database and I REALLY need to get a column into the spreadsheet for images. So, the spreadsheet curren...

Can not receive mail from a contact,
The contact is on my list and I am able too send her emails BUT I'm not getting hers at all. Do her messages show up in the inbox folder on your account's webmail page? Susy wrote: > The contact is on my list and I am able too send her emails BUT I'm not > getting hers at all. Are they going to your Spam or Junk folder? Have you mistakenly put her on your "Blocked Senders List"? "Susy" <Susy@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:A2BD89CC-C4C1-4BE0-A6CF-6FB0BB9D1AD1@microsoft.com... > The contact is on my list and ...

access 2003 query report "# error"
Hi all, I'm not sure what else to look at here. I have a rather complex query that I am using to underly a report. All the data in the query is correct when I run the query with the parameters. When I run the report using the same parameters, everything is fine except one column shows up as # Error. Not sure why it runs fine in the query, but the report column shows up as an error. I don't know if this matters, but the query does a lot of grouping and joins a separate "Totals Query" as a column (to get a total of all records) so I can calculate a percentage of the total ...