Importing Data Files

Hey all,

I have recently had to undergo a clean install of Windows XP onto a new
Computer, and am having trouble importing all my MS Outlook XP data
into XP (from 98SE).

Thanks,

--
Daniel Becroft
; =================================

"Blue sparks and white smoke, the two most expensive components of any
electrical system, and once used up will cost a fortune to replace."

What is the exact issue? You can connect to the file by File -> Open ->
Outlook Data File

--
Roady [MVP] www.sparnaaij.net

Tips of the month:
-Setting Permissions on a Mailbox

-----
"Daniel Becroft" <djcbecroft@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Hey all,
>
> I have recently had to undergo a clean install of Windows XP onto a new
> Computer, and am having trouble importing all my MS Outlook XP data
> into XP (from 98SE).
>
> Thanks,
>
> --
> Daniel Becroft
> ; =================================
> "Real computer scientists don't comment their code. The identifiers are
> so long they can't afford the disk space."
>
> "Blue sparks and white smoke, the two most expensive components of any
> electrical system, and once used up will cost a fortune to replace."

0
Roady
5/2/2004 10:23:07 PM
Roady [MVP] wrote:

> What is the exact issue? You can connect to the file by File -> Open
> -> Outlook Data File

I have been doing that, as well as using the 'import' function.
However, it does not bring in the Inbox, Calendar, Contacts, Tasks,
etc, that were previously there. It only imports an empty 'Deleted
Items' folder.

Thanks,
--
Daniel Becroft
; =================================
"Real computer scientists don't comment their code. The identifiers are
so long they can't afford the disk space."

"Blue sparks and white smoke, the two most expensive components of any
electrical system, and once used up will cost a fortune to replace."
Use File, Open to open it, then switch to Folder View (View menu) to view the contents.

Rather than import, we recommend fnding and renaming the pst (the one outlook creates for a new profile) and replacing it with your old pst, using the same name as the first pst used.

"Daniel Becroft" wrote:

> Roady [MVP] wrote:
>
> > What is the exact issue? You can connect to the file by File -> Open
> > -> Outlook Data File
>
> I have been doing that, as well as using the 'import' function.
> However, it does not bring in the Inbox, Calendar, Contacts, Tasks,
> etc, that were previously there. It only imports an empty 'Deleted
> Items' folder.
>
> Thanks,
> --
> Daniel Becroft
> ; =================================
> "Real computer scientists don't comment their code. The identifiers are
> so long they can't afford the disk space."
>
> "Blue sparks and white smoke, the two most expensive components of any
> electrical system, and once used up will cost a fortune to replace."

0
info2937 (567)
5/3/2004 12:40:01 AM
Diane Poremsky [MVP] wrote:

> Use File, Open to open it, then switch to Folder View (View menu) to
> view the contents.

I have tried that. Unfortunately, it doesn't bring in the messages,
contacts or calendar entries. It just creates a new "Personal Folders"
folder, and a "Deleted Items" subfolder. That's it.

> Rather than import, we recommend fnding and renaming the pst (the one
> outlook creates for a new profile) and replacing it with your old
> pst, using the same name as the first pst used.

Tried that, too. For some reason, it isn't bringing in the contents of
the DBX files.

--
Daniel Becroft
; =================================
"Real computer scientists don't comment their code. The identifiers are
so long they can't afford the disk space."

"Blue sparks and white smoke, the two most expensive components of any
electrical system, and once used up will cost a fortune to replace."
If they are dbx files, and it wasnt a typo, then you are trying to open
Outlook Express files. Not the same as Outlook.
If you were using OE, as appossed to OL, and assuming OE and its associated
data files on the same PC. In OE export to OL
Just seen from origonal post that the data files are on the old sys. You
will need to import/copy data files into OE on new sys, prior to exporting
to OL.
For info on OE see http://insideoe.tomsterdam.com/

> Diane Poremsky [MVP] wrote:
>
> > Use File, Open to open it, then switch to Folder View (View menu) to
> > view the contents.
>
> I have tried that. Unfortunately, it doesn't bring in the messages,
> contacts or calendar entries. It just creates a new "Personal Folders"
> folder, and a "Deleted Items" subfolder. That's it.
>
> > Rather than import, we recommend fnding and renaming the pst (the one
> > outlook creates for a new profile) and replacing it with your old
> > pst, using the same name as the first pst used.
>
> Tried that, too. For some reason, it isn't bringing in the contents of
> the DBX files.
>
> --
> Daniel Becroft
> ; =================================
> "Real computer scientists don't comment their code. The identifiers are
> so long they can't afford the disk space."
>
> "Blue sparks and white smoke, the two most expensive components of any
> electrical system, and once used up will cost a fortune to replace."

0
dl1 (180)
5/3/2004 12:17:59 PM
Diane Poremsky [MVP] wrote:

> Use File, Open to open it, then switch to Folder View (View menu) to
> view the contents.
>
> Rather than import, we recommend fnding and renaming the pst (the one
> outlook creates for a new profile) and replacing it with your old
> pst, using the same name as the first pst used.

Grr ...

[Hits head aganst brick wall]
*bag*,*bag*,*bag*,*bag*,Ow ...

Stupid!

Anyways, I figured out what the problem was. I was attempting to load
the wrong file. Duh!

Thanks for you help anyways, Guys,

--
Daniel Becroft
; =================================
"Real computer scientists don't comment their code. The identifiers are
so long they can't afford the disk space."

"Blue sparks and white smoke, the two most expensive components of any
electrical system, and once used up will cost a fortune to replace."
Ouch!

--

> Diane Poremsky [MVP] wrote:
>
> > Use File, Open to open it, then switch to Folder View (View menu) to
> > view the contents.
> >
> > Rather than import, we recommend fnding and renaming the pst (the one
> > outlook creates for a new profile) and replacing it with your old
> > pst, using the same name as the first pst used.
>
> Grr ...
>
> [Hits head aganst brick wall]
> *bag*,*bag*,*bag*,*bag*,Ow ...
>
> Stupid!
>
> Anyways, I figured out what the problem was. I was attempting to load
> the wrong file. Duh!
>
> Thanks for you help anyways, Guys,
>
> --
> Daniel Becroft
> ; =================================
> "Real computer scientists don't comment their code. The identifiers are
> so long they can't afford the disk space."
>
> "Blue sparks and white smoke, the two most expensive components of any
> electrical system, and once used up will cost a fortune to replace."

0
Roady
5/4/2004 10:07:05 PM
thats what I said, but then perhaps you didnt read the post

"Daniel Becroft" <djcbecroft@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Diane Poremsky [MVP] wrote:
>
> > Use File, Open to open it, then switch to Folder View (View menu) to
> > view the contents.
> >
> > Rather than import, we recommend fnding and renaming the pst (the one
> > outlook creates for a new profile) and replacing it with your old
> > pst, using the same name as the first pst used.
>
> Grr ...
>
> [Hits head aganst brick wall]
> *bag*,*bag*,*bag*,*bag*,Ow ...
>
> Stupid!
>
> Anyways, I figured out what the problem was. I was attempting to load
> the wrong file. Duh!
>
> Thanks for you help anyways, Guys,
>
> --
> Daniel Becroft
> ; =================================
> "Real computer scientists don't comment their code. The identifiers are
> so long they can't afford the disk space."
>
> "Blue sparks and white smoke, the two most expensive components of any
> electrical system, and once used up will cost a fortune to replace."

0
dl1 (180)
5/5/2004 12:42:00 AM
DL wrote:

> thats what I said, but then perhaps you didnt read the post

No, I read it. I was importing the wrong .PST file. The file I was
attempting to import was in the same directory as the DBX files (which
I don't use anymore), so I assumed they were needed as well.

--
Daniel Becroft
; =================================
"Real computer scientists don't comment their code. The identifiers are
so long they can't afford the disk space."

"Blue sparks and white smoke, the two most expensive components of any
electrical system, and once used up will cost a fortune to replace."

Transferring Data With XML?
I'm new at this. What would be the best way to transfer data in XML format from sql server A to remote sql server B? We would like to encrypt the data with ssl which we already have installed on our iis server. -- .. http://sf-f.org, weblog and search engine for fans and writers of speculative fiction. .. ...

Importing data

Importing messages #6

Import and export

transfer data in excel between sheets
What I am looking to do is get a function button (or similar) on sheet 1 that can recognise the data put in a column and upon a click of a button transfer data held in a certain cell elsewhere and the date onto sheet 2. If this is not possible, what the whole purpose I am trying to do is on sheet one have a=50 fields per day, where 3 figures are entered per line, 50 lines (ie 150 pieces of data per day) which calculates the average of the 3 numbers per row, and then the average of all these numbers appears in a seperate field on the spreadsheet (this I have already achieved.) Then this...

Opening Lotus *.123 files in Excel
Is there a convertion filter for opening Lotus *.123 files in Excel. I can convert *.wk? files, but I am unable to open *.123 (Lotus 1-2-3 Release 9 for Windows) files "Jim Warren" <Jim Warren@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote... >Is there a convertion filter for opening Lotus *.123 files in Excel. >I can convert *.wk? files, but I am unable to open *.123 (Lotus 1-2-3 >Release 9 for Windows) files The .wk? file formats predated Microsoft securing +90% market share, so way back then they had to compete in terms of interoperability. The .123 file format came after Mi...

Load Data Under Column Headings
My data are stock prices that I want to use with Metastock. I have as column headers: Date, Stock Name, Open, High, Low, Close, Stock Code. How do I load stock data with their fields under the respective column headings, perhaps, by just clicking on the file name, without using cut & paste. How do I protect the heading row from being overwritten? ...

excel 97 xml import

Concurrent access to private data
Hi, maybe it's a simple problem for most of you, but I can't find an easy way to quite simple problem, let me describe: Let's have this code: public ClassToChange() { ... //some other methods internal List<AnyDataClass> LockAndGetData() { Monitor.Enter(cs); return data; } internal Unlock() { Monitor.Exit(cs); } private object cs = new object(); private List<AnyDataClass> data = new List<AnyDataClass>(); } public class Editor { public Editor(ClassToChange editedObject) { this.editedObject = editedObject; } ...

New Money File Error on Windows XP
I'm using the MS Money 2002 on Windows XP Pro (I've upgraded XP from Windows 2000). But when I starting new file, Money 2002 is crashed. Working with previous files are good, but new file working is failed always. Is it error on Windows XP? Have you tried re-installing M2002? -- Regards Bob Peel, Microsoft MVP - Money Hints/Tips http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=fh;EN-GB;mny UK Wishes/Suggestions mnyukwsh@microsoft.com "Kim Heui Jung" <neospix@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:ORcUKtP0DHA.2412@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl... > I'm using...

protect borders on a data entry cell
I have an Excell 2007 spreadsheet with borders around selected cells, the spreadsheet is protected so my formulas cant get corrupted, but with some cells that are unlocked for user data entry. But when you copy and paste in these user entry cells the borders are getting copied and pasted also destroying the look of the spreadsheet. so how do you protect the borders from being changed and still allow copy and paste in the user entry cells? Thanks in advance Terry You could politely ask users to copy>paste VALUES -- Don Guillett Microsoft MVP Excel SalesAid Software dguillett1@austin....

Importing JEs through the Table Import

Importing Dynamic data

recover damaged excel file
I have a workbook creater with Excel 2000 just a few days ago but there's no way to open it. Coud anyone give me any suggestion? Hi, what message do you get?, ask your IT department usually they backup all the files, did you send the file to somebody? "Nora_Italy" wrote: > I have a workbook creater with Excel 2000 just a few days ago but there's no > way to open it. Coud anyone give me any suggestion? Thank you Eduardo. I don't get any error message, the file just doesn't open. Unfortunatately we backup files only once a month and I created...

Flipping order of data in a column
I need to flip the order of data in a column. For example: Is: 22 10 23 Need: 23 10 22 How can I do this? I need only flip the data in a column, these cell are not a part of rows of data thus no ther data must flip with thes numbers. Obviously the data I am changing is more than 3 cells long (- -- Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com Hi one way (using a helper column - if this is a one-time operation). If your data is in column A enter the following: B1: 1 B2: 2 - select B1:B2 and drag the selection down. This will populate column B with ascending numbers - Sort column A+B wit...

Importing a CSV file

SmartList for Canadian Payroll returns no data
We are running GP V10 and Canadian Payroll. When our Payroll clerk tries to run a SmartList for payroll data she gets nothing returned in her query result. She is able to see all of her data and do her Payroll work with no issues, and her security access to Payroll data is correct. Can anyone advise as to what we may have missed in her security and / or setup that would prevent her from seeing the data in her SmartList query? As POWERUSER I get no results from the SmartList query either. Appreciate any help or advice! Thanks! Hi LMG Which CPR Smartlists are you trying to run? T...

Import DB from CRM 1.2 to 3.0

File Size
Please note that this is not your typical file size question. I have a macro-enabled Excel 2007 file that varies in size from 15-100Mb depending on how much data I populate it with. Every day, in order to email this file out, I alter it by doing the following: Select all tabs (11 in all). Select all cells Copy/Paste Values Delete 5 of the tabs Save as a new Excel Workbook (not macro enabled) The new file size is now roughly 600Kb. However, all of a sudden, the changed file is about 2Mb. I made sure to delete all the excess rows/columns. I deleted the one macro that I h...

importing email

Pivot Table from data table (not data LIST)
What are some good ways to create pivot tables when your source data is in a table format, not a list format? For example, how would you create a pivot table from a calendar, which only has days' names at the top of the table, and has numerical dates in each cell (ie a Regular calendar :) The standard way would be to create a list of numerical dates, then add a column and type in "Monday" for each date that is a Monday, "Tuesday" for each Tuesday, etc. --- Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com/ As far as I know, the PT requires the data to be in a form com...