import contacts from another computer failing

I'm running Outlook 2003 on both machines.  Trying to copy the contacts from
one machine to the other by saving the pst with only the contacts (tried
with/without compression and all the other options).  Then going to the new
machine and opening up the pst file.  It keeps saying "file name.pst is not
a personal folders file."

any ideas?  This used to work for me, but not any more.  Any other ideas?
I'd also like to add all the other computer's contacts into the new
computer's outlook file.  Can't seem to do that either.

thank you

"Mix Head" <audiogear.no.spam@gmail.com> wrote in message
> I'm running Outlook 2003 on both machines.  Trying to copy the contacts
> from one machine to the other by saving the pst with only the contacts
> (tried with/without compression and all the other options).  Then going to
> the new machine and opening up the pst file.  It keeps saying "file
> name.pst is not a personal folders file."
>

> any ideas?  This used to work for me, but not any more.  Any other ideas?
> I'd also like to add all the other computer's contacts into the new
> computer's outlook file.  Can't seem to do that either.
>
> thank you

Are you using several Outlook versions in this scenario? Please note that
OL2003 uses a new format for new *.pst files, and they are not compatible
with older versions of Outlook.

You could also test do it visa versa, to test if it works in this way, just
for testing. OL2003 should deal with older *.pst versions without problems.

Regards,
Robert

0
none89 (807)
7/1/2005 10:05:31 PM
How did you transport the PST file?
If you copied it to a storage medium, move it to your hard drive and remove
the read only attribute it acquired.
--
Russ Valentine
[MVP-Outlook]
"Mix Head" <audiogear.no.spam@gmail.com> wrote in message
> I'm running Outlook 2003 on both machines.  Trying to copy the contacts
> from one machine to the other by saving the pst with only the contacts
> (tried with/without compression and all the other options).  Then going to
> the new machine and opening up the pst file.  It keeps saying "file
> name.pst is not a personal folders file."
>

> any ideas?  This used to work for me, but not any more.  Any other ideas?
> I'd also like to add all the other computer's contacts into the new
> computer's outlook file.  Can't seem to do that either.
>
> thank you

0
russval1 (2100)
7/1/2005 10:22:41 PM
Mix Head <audiogear.no.spam@gmail.com> wrote:

> I'm running Outlook 2003 on both machines.  Trying to copy the
> contacts from one machine to the other by saving the pst with only
> the contacts (tried with/without compression and all the other
> options).  Then going to the new machine and opening up the pst file.
> It keeps saying "file name.pst is not a personal folders file."

This is indicative of the file having been corrupted in the copy process.
One thing that can do this is typing to copy the PST while Outlook is still
open.  I've also seen a couple of reports that seem to indicate that some CD
burning software doesnt' handle PSTs well.
--
Brian Tillman

0
tillman1952 (16052)

Import and export

Importing messages #6

Importing data

Landed Cost Computation
Currently, the application computes the landed cost in such a way that if a remaining amount can’t be distributed across items due to rounding, it will be distributed to the last line item. This will cause a huge discrepancy in the cost of the last line item in case you have hundreds of line items in one document. The landed cost should be distributed evenly based on apportionment across all the line items in the Receivings Document. It should not adjust the cost of the last line item due to rounding difference. It will cause a big difference if you are receiving hundreds of PO's in...

excel 97 xml import

Importing JEs through the Table Import

Restore Exchange5.5 to other server failing
This is to do with a Disaster Recovery Plan I am putting together. I need to get the mail restored to another server but having some problems. I have created another server - not on the network - with the same details as our mail server; Win2k SP4 Domain Controller BrightStor V11 Exchange5.5 SP3 (however, the 'real' one had SP4) Same Server name Same Domain name Same Organisation Same Site I merged the tape, restore by tree, restore to same location, Agent Options for Directory and Information Store were; 'erase all data before restoring' and 'start services after re...

Importing Dynamic data

Importing a CSV file

Import DB from CRM 1.2 to 3.0

importing email

Updating a cell with data validation when another cell is changed.
In my sheet I have cell Y2, which when it contains "y", I want it to update the validation list =IF(Y2="y",DogList,NAList) That works, but if i delete the "y" from cell Y2, the validation drop- down list doesn't change until I click onto the cell I wrote some code to try and work around this: Private Sub WorkSheet_Change(ByVal Target As Range) Application.Calculation = xlCalculationManual If Target.Address = "Y2" Then Range("AJ2").Value = "" Application.Calculate End Sub But still doesn't do that I want, when I change t...

import pdf table

2 Computers - 1 Network Drive
I have 2 computers - each with its own Outlook 2007 (yes, I bought two separate copies). I also have a network drive. Can I have one set of outlook data on my network drive so each computer may access it? What files do I need to copy to my network drive? How do I "point" Outlook on the computers to the network drive? Steve wrote: > I have 2 computers - each with its own Outlook 2007 (yes, I bought two > separate copies). I also have a network drive. > > Can I have one set of outlook data on my network drive so each computer may > access it? ...

Field missing upon XML import

Excel 2003

Import / date questions
Hi I have imported a lot of email (15,000) from Thunderbird > converted from mbox > .eml - dragged the email into Outlook express and then imported into Outlook2003. All has worked fine ish- but a lot of messages have the "received" field set as todays date / time. If I select the "sent" field that is correct. Is there anyway to reset the date on an email message in outlook (ideally on mass) - what is the difference between the Sent field and the received field ? Thanks Hi Just did a check, and the data in outlook express is correct. Its when I did the impor...

how to contact site manager
something odd happens when i sign in to this page...does anyone know the contact info for the site manager. thx LF What "site" are you viewing this from? "LF" <LF@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:86FBA0B1-DF54-42F3-9540-8392308FFAB6@microsoft.com... > something odd happens when i sign in to this page...does anyone know the > contact info for the site manager. thx http://www.microsoft.com/communities/newsgroups/en-us/default.aspx?dg=microsoft.public.money&cat=en_US_fda0f23c-f299-4019-86c6-e1998434d20d&lang=en&cr=US "Dick ...

How do I save an Excel workbook so that cells referencing another.
I know we can copy and paste special so that cells referencing other workbooks are changed to values-only but wonder if there's a way to simply save a multi-sheet, complex workbook that references many other workbooks as values. This would be ideal for sending out up-to-date reports so that my recipients aren't bothered with the "workbook contains values linked to another workbook" pop-up. Any suggestions? You could run a little macro to convert to values. But don't forget to save this as a new name--it might bring tears if you save over your workbook that contain...

importing a cell value
I need to import a cell values from an un-opened .xls using a variable address ie cell A34 = the location of the .xls on our server (j:\121213\Drafting\Quants\) "105 White Ant" = the name of the .xls B3 = the cell I need to import C6 = value(A34+"105 White Ant"+B3) Any help or advice would be hugely appriciated Sorry I should also have specified that I want to avoid the use of macros. "Kristian G" wrote: > I need to import a cell values from an un-opened .xls using a variable address > ie > cell A34 = the location of the .xls on our ...

Need a utility to import mail to Outlook via print dialog... or some other way to import proprietary messages into Outlook.
Hello, We need to migrate 100s of proprietary PSTs from a little-known mail system to Outlook/Exchange but the file format of the PSTs is binary, proprietary and undocumented. One option is to leave the PSTs and let the users consult them in offline mode forever. The problem there is that they wouldn't be able to reply to or forward the messages, only read or print them. Not very user-friendly, they have GBs of mail in them. Has anyone seen an application which lets you print a message into an Outlook mail message, much like you print to a PDF file? Any other suggestions for workarounds...