IMap and Outlook 2003 #4

I'm running Outlook 2003 under Windows XP XP3. I have several accounts,
including two IMAP accounts. This thing is just plain not working. I mean
its not working so bad that something has to be broken. On startup, the hour
glass never goes away, even after a few hours. I get assorted weird messages
like "reestablishing hierarchy" that, again hang around for hours.

I've wiped out the profile and restarted a few times, and I am getting the
impression that the program has a problem with IMAP, and a big problem with
two IMAP accounts.

Now I'm getting pretty desperate. I want to chuck my Treo in favor of a
Blackberry, and that makes Outlook mandatory.

Any and all bright ideas will be welcomed!

Thanks - Jack

0
gostl (5)

Any chance you have an AntiVirus app setup to scan your email?

Hal
--
Hal Hostetler, CPBE -- hhh@kvoa.com
KVOA Television, Tucson, AZ.   NBC   Channel 4

"Jack Gostl" <gostl@argoscomp.com> wrote in message
> I'm running Outlook 2003 under Windows XP XP3. I have several accounts,
> including two IMAP accounts. This thing is just plain not working. I mean
> its not working so bad that something has to be broken. On startup, the
> hour glass never goes away, even after a few hours. I get assorted weird
> messages like "reestablishing hierarchy" that, again hang around for
> hours.
>
> I've wiped out the profile and restarted a few times, and I am getting the
> impression that the program has a problem with IMAP, and a big problem
> with two IMAP accounts.
>
> Now I'm getting pretty desperate. I want to chuck my Treo in favor of a
> Blackberry, and that makes Outlook mandatory.
>
> Any and all bright ideas will be welcomed!
>
> Thanks - Jack

0
hhh6225 (363)
9/9/2008 11:23:33 PM
Yes I do. Do you feel that is related?

"Hal Hostetler [MVP-P/I]" <hhh@kvoa.com> wrote in message
> Any chance you have an AntiVirus app setup to scan your email?
>
> Hal
> --
> Hal Hostetler, CPBE -- hhh@kvoa.com
> Senior Engineer/MIS -- MS MVP-Print/Imaging -- WA7BGX
> KVOA Television, Tucson, AZ.   NBC   Channel 4
> Still Cadillacin' - www.badnewsbluesband.com
>
> "Jack Gostl" <gostl@argoscomp.com> wrote in message
>> I'm running Outlook 2003 under Windows XP XP3. I have several accounts,
>> including two IMAP accounts. This thing is just plain not working. I mean
>> its not working so bad that something has to be broken. On startup, the
>> hour glass never goes away, even after a few hours. I get assorted weird
>> messages like "reestablishing hierarchy" that, again hang around for
>> hours.
>>
>> I've wiped out the profile and restarted a few times, and I am getting
>> the impression that the program has a problem with IMAP, and a big
>> problem with two IMAP accounts.
>>
>> Now I'm getting pretty desperate. I want to chuck my Treo in favor of a
>> Blackberry, and that makes Outlook mandatory.
>>
>> Any and all bright ideas will be welcomed!
>>
>> Thanks - Jack

0
gostl (5)
9/15/2008 1:14:33 PM
Antivirus scanning of incoming email can cause problems. Disable all email
integration and see if it helps.

How many accounts is 'several'? Are they all on different servers?  you
might want to test a new profile starting with 1 acct - add then others back
1 at a time.

--
Diane Poremsky [MVP - Outlook]

Outlook Tips by email:

newsreader to msnews.microsoft.com.

> Yes I do. Do you feel that is related?
>
> "Hal Hostetler [MVP-P/I]" <hhh@kvoa.com> wrote in message
>> Any chance you have an AntiVirus app setup to scan your email?
>>
>> Hal
>> --
>> Hal Hostetler, CPBE -- hhh@kvoa.com
>> Senior Engineer/MIS -- MS MVP-Print/Imaging -- WA7BGX
>> http://www.kvoa.com -- "When News breaks, we fix it!"
>> KVOA Television, Tucson, AZ.   NBC   Channel 4
>> Still Cadillacin' - www.badnewsbluesband.com
>>
>> "Jack Gostl" <gostl@argoscomp.com> wrote in message
>>> I'm running Outlook 2003 under Windows XP XP3. I have several accounts,
>>> including two IMAP accounts. This thing is just plain not working. I
>>> mean its not working so bad that something has to be broken. On startup,
>>> the hour glass never goes away, even after a few hours. I get assorted
>>> weird messages like "reestablishing hierarchy" that, again hang around
>>> for hours.
>>>
>>> I've wiped out the profile and restarted a few times, and I am getting
>>> the impression that the program has a problem with IMAP, and a big
>>> problem with two IMAP accounts.
>>>
>>> Now I'm getting pretty desperate. I want to chuck my Treo in favor of a
>>> Blackberry, and that makes Outlook mandatory.
>>>
>>> Any and all bright ideas will be welcomed!
>>>
>>> Thanks - Jack

0
outlookmvp (5838)
9/15/2008 2:09:22 PM
There are two imap accounts, four hotmail and two pop. From what I can see,
the culprit is the second imap account. It works really nicesly with one
imap account. I even tried to put in the second imap account as a pop3
account, and it works fine, but put in a second imap account, and it goes
down the tubes.

> Antivirus scanning of incoming email can cause problems. Disable all email
> integration and see if it helps.
>
> How many accounts is 'several'? Are they all on different servers?  you
> might want to test a new profile starting with 1 acct - add then others
> back 1 at a time.
>
> --
> Diane Poremsky [MVP - Outlook]
>
> Outlook Tips by email:

> http://www.microsoft.com/office/community/en-us/default.mspx or point your
> newsreader to msnews.microsoft.com.
>

> "Jack Gostl" <gostl@argoscomp.com> wrote in message
>> Yes I do. Do you feel that is related?
>>
>> "Hal Hostetler [MVP-P/I]" <hhh@kvoa.com> wrote in message
>>> Any chance you have an AntiVirus app setup to scan your email?
>>>
>>> Hal
>>> --
>>> Hal Hostetler, CPBE -- hhh@kvoa.com
>>> Senior Engineer/MIS -- MS MVP-Print/Imaging -- WA7BGX
>>> http://www.kvoa.com -- "When News breaks, we fix it!"
>>> KVOA Television, Tucson, AZ.   NBC   Channel 4
>>> Still Cadillacin' - www.badnewsbluesband.com
>>>
>>> "Jack Gostl" <gostl@argoscomp.com> wrote in message

0
gostl (5)
9/15/2008 2:37:52 PM
Are the 2 imaps pointing to the same server? That will cause issues.

--

> There are two imap accounts, four hotmail and two pop. From what I can
> see, the culprit is the second imap account. It works really nicesly with
> one imap account. I even tried to put in the second imap account as a pop3
> account, and it works fine, but put in a second imap account, and it goes
> down the tubes.
>
> "Diane Poremsky [MVP]" <outlookmvp@msn.com> wrote in message
>> Antivirus scanning of incoming email can cause problems. Disable all
>> email integration and see if it helps.
>>
>> How many accounts is 'several'? Are they all on different servers?  you
>> might want to test a new profile starting with 1 acct - add then others
>> back 1 at a time.
>>
>> --
>> Diane Poremsky [MVP - Outlook]
>>
>> Outlook Tips by email:
>> dailytips-subscribe-request@lists.outlooktips.net

>> You can access this newsgroup by visiting
>> http://www.microsoft.com/office/community/en-us/default.mspx or point
>> your newsreader to msnews.microsoft.com.
>>

>> "Jack Gostl" <gostl@argoscomp.com> wrote in message
>>> Yes I do. Do you feel that is related?
>>>
>>> "Hal Hostetler [MVP-P/I]" <hhh@kvoa.com> wrote in message

0
outlookmvp (5838)

IMAP
Hi, I would like to enable IMAP to my Exch2003 server, but the service is not there. How do I install IMAP4 ? Thnaks. Matt On Sun, 21 Dec 2003 15:50:51 -0800, matt wrote: > I would like to enable IMAP to my Exch2003 server, but the > service is not there. > > How do I install IMAP4 ? Well IMAP4 is there, the service is just disabled per default. You will need to enable and start in under Services. (Microsoft Exchange IMAP). Regards -- Henrik Walther http://exchange-faq.dk ...

conversion #4
I have been using incredimail and now want to use outlook is there away I can import my messages into outlook. Was able to import contacts but not past email messages any suggestions. ...

strange imap connection problems
My imap connections seem to be flaky (only imap, pop3 is fine) the first time i load outlook and send/recieve it works fine. then every time after that my machine fails on the dns lookup of the mail server. (even nslookup in console fails) any ideas whats causing this? cheers, -ciaron ...

Question about antivirus for Exchange 2003
I currently use Mcafee groupshield for exchange 5.5 and while it does block infected attachments, it still sends the email message to the user which generates alot of complaints. I am ugrading to Exchange 2003 and this time I want to get something that is a little more flexible and can block not only the attachment, but the message too. I will look into the latest Mcafee solution, but wanted to hear about the experiences of others on this NG. Thanks NH Hi Ned, I'm using McAfee GroupShield for Exchange 2003. For your information, the software still behave exactly as you mentioned in...

Why don't I have a 'Send' button on my outlook express email page
I have downloaded Microsoft Office 2003. When I go into my Outlook Express email page I can write an email but I have no 'send' button showing on the page so that I can get the email sent off. Where is it....or how can I find it??? "rednil" <rednil@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:DCFFAA00-0E21-4704-B603-DC033EA95A78@microsoft.com... > I have downloaded Microsoft Office 2003. When I go into my Outlook > Express > email page I can write an email but I have no 'send' button showing on the > page so that I can get the...

Outlook without Exchange Server
I am new to outlook. I am trying to find out if Outlook 2003 can be used with pier-to-pier sertup in a small office with leass than 5 employees. The functionality desired would be to be able to forward and recieve messages, tasks, appointments, share and view calendar etc. I was wondering if outlook can be used within a workgroup in a LAN setup without having exchange server. Thanks, Athiff In news:1ad6001c423e0$2a80b120$a601280a@phx.gbl, Athiff <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: || I am new to outlook. I am trying to find out if Outlook || 2003 can be used with pier-...

Customize Outlook Today #11
On the outlook today page, when I click on Customize Outlook today it will not open the customize page. The following MSKB article provides the fix for this issue. OL2000: You Cannot Customize Outlook Today After You Install Critical Update 813489 for Internet Explorer: http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;820575 -- Jocelyn Fiorello MVP - Outlook *** Replies sent to my e-mail address will probably not be answered -- please reply only to the newsgroup to preserve the message thread. *** "Tom" <tombasenji@yahoo.com> wrote in message news:007801c35926$...

Hyperlinks in 2003 version #3
My workplace just upgraded to Microsoft Office 2003. Can you insert a hyperlink to a pdf file, or does it just work for office files. I linked to a pdf file and it opens adobe for a split second then closes. Any ideas on what I am doing wrong? Thanks, Mike -- Cbravo212 ------------------------------------------------------------------------ Cbravo212's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=25615 View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=390311 Try downloading some updates from Adobe's web site. I use 7.0 and experie...

tasks in outlook today
how do you get tasks that are checked of as complete, not to appear on the outlook today screen. I have tried everything with no luck i'm using outlook 2002 please help Mike .. ...

in Outlook 2007 how do I change the emails default margins?
for emails were using Memo Style The default margins are 1.30cm However when users print and holepunch, theres not enough room and it hole punches over the text. I know how to change manually, through the menu File, select PageSetup, select Memo Style. The Page Setup:Memo Style dialog displays. select tab Paper and enter Margins Top, Bottom, Left, Right 2.54cm, click OK. Its been mentioned the settings are stored in the file C:\Documents and Settings\<UserName>\Application Data\Microsoft\Outlook\OutlPrnt The issue is we have roaming profiles. If a users pr...

Outlook freezes when Opening Yahoo or AOL emails
I have many users that use Outlook 2000 with SP3. Word is set as their email editor and anytime they open an email from a Yahoo or AOL account, the system freezes. If I disable Word as the email editor these emails open just fine. I have searched many times for the cause and the only thing I can think of is that Word is trying to convert the HTML that these emails are written in into the Word Format. Does anyone know of a fix for this as my users are very dependent on Word as their email editor? ...

Outlook Contacts
We installed the SFO client on one of our user's laptops and synched, using the default options. This caused all of this person's CRM contacts to be copied over to his Outlook contacts. So, in addition to the contacts this person entered, and wanted in there, we have (not one, but strangely enough) two copies of most contacts. A few questions before attempting to fix this: 1) If we delete contacts out of the outlook contacts folder, will it delete those contacts out of CRM as well? 2) Does anybody know if we can take a backup of this user's .PST file, and delete all the...

OWA & Outlook Disagree
When viewing "All Day" events added to my calendar via Outlook from OWA, the events "spill over" into the day following the end of the event. The only way to correct this in OWA is to change the event from an "All Day" event to an appointment that starts at 12AM and ends and 11:59PM. Also, after viewing an email folder in OWA, Outlook will show this folder with the "Show In Groups" setting turned on. If I turn it off in Outlook and then view the folder again in OWA, the "Show In Groups" setting is back on in Outlook. How can I get Out...

cannot move mail to PST in outlook 2007
after upgrading to outlook 2007 from outlook 2003 i can no longer move any mail to my PST folders. i get message "Cannot move the items. The item cannot be moved. It was already moved or deleted or access was denied.". i can create a new PST folder but still cannot move any messages to it. Any help is appreciated. EggHeadCafe - Software Developer Portal of Choice Custom Self-Expanding Multiselect Winforms ListBox http://www.eggheadcafe.com/tutorials/aspnet/d501d49c-f9fa-4156-9858-8c7b8a74319a/custom-selfexpanding-mul.aspx You can't upgrade Outlook without corrupting your pro...

Setting Gmail IMAP
I previously used Gmail as POP but I have just changed it to IMAP so that I can keep my PC (WLM), my iPhone and my webmail all in sync. Now I need some advice. 1. In addition to my inbox,sent etc folders I also have a folder called All Mail that indeed contains all messages I have ever sent or received. It is therefore very big. How can I stop that folder showing up in WLM? 2. When I delete items in WLM the are not going to the Bin (deleted folder) They just vanish. The deleted folder is a useful facility as at times I may accidently click to delete the wrong message. How c...

imap
Hello All, I have win2k SBS server providing email for about 20 users. Their internet connection, to the office where the exchange server lives, is 512k guaranteed up and down I believe. The clients that have desktops are set up as exchnage clients via Outlook 2k and XP. The laptop users are set up as imap clients via outlook because they will be using a dial up connection most of the time on the road or away from the office. My problem starts when an imap client's mail box gets over 100mb and then they start to get time out issues even if they have a high speed connection at the time...

Outlooks hangs when opening message...
I have Outlook 2002 for XP. I have a problem that just started happening. Lately when I send messages via Outlook I get some that come back as undeliverable. After the message is downloaded and the focus is put on that undeliverable email, the system locks up and the only thing I can do it reboot the computer. I don't know what is causing this. Please help. ...

Outlook RPC Troubleshooting Exchange 2003
- If this is not the correct area to post this question, please let me know and I will head elsewhere - I have a client with SBS2003, and several client notebooks happily running Outlook 2003 via RPC over HTTP. One particular machine which was also working happily with User A has been handed to User B, and no matter what I try I can't get Outlook over the Internet to work. As others are working OK, I believe the server side is set up correctly. I have deleted and reinstalled the Security Certificate, added the RPC registry keys under HK Local User because they did not exist ...

Outlook 2002 #134
Outlook 2002 worked well on my XP pro machine - then MS sent us the new software pack and I installed Outlook 2003 - I can't remember why, but I couldn't make any sense of 2003, uninstalled it, re-installed 2002 and since then I can't do a 'send and recieve all' - I am reduced to doing a send and recieve on each account individually and have been for a few months. This also means i can't do an automatic send and recieve. When i do 'send and recieve all' i get the error message "operation failed". HELP! ...

Why is Outlook switching email addresses when I send an email?
Sometimes when I send an email message through Outlook, I type in one address, press send and later realize that Outlook sent the message to a completely different email address. There is no rhyme or reason as to why it changes the address, but it does it consistently for particular addresses. The addresses that Outlook changes to are not similar to the original address or on the same distribution list. I've even changed anti-virus software and run two complete scans. Help! "WynneWages" <WynneWages@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:5813BB4...

Outlook Calendar
Simplistic question but I don't want my outlook calendar to show times from 9pm to 7am. But I can't seem to find out how to elimiate this from view. I have been able to start my workday at 7am but it still hows other times in different shade. Can you help? Submitted via EggHeadCafe - Software Developer Portal of Choice A Framework to Animate WPF and Silverlight Pages Similar to the PowerPoint Slides http://www.eggheadcafe.com/tutorials/aspnet/7390a840-dd39-4c35-9940-c7354940d878/a-framework-to-animate-wp.aspx <andrew margolius> wrote in message news:20104161502an...

IMAP #3
Exchange 2003 SP1 Front-end : OWA server with SSL Need some mobile users to connect to IMAP server with SSL Can this server (FE OWA Server) proxy SSL IMAP request to the backend server ? If yes can I use the same SSL that’s for OWA or I need to get another? Is there any documents talking FE-BE IMAP or Exchange IMAP ? Thanks.. -- Nawar Aljanabi MCSE NT/2000/2003,MCSA 2003 +M,CCNA Yes, that will work. Just make sure you are pointing your IMAP clients at the OWA public certificate name, otherwise you'll get an error. If I remember correctly Exchange will set this up correctly on...

access 2003 and multiple mailing lists
I want to create multiple Mailing lists for different Items that I send out from my marketing department. I want to create lists for four different items which are sent out every month, some of the recipients receive more than one of the items and others do not. I want to enter the information through one location and just have check boxes for the different items. like newsletter, SEC Invite, Follow Up Letter and so on. I also want this to be as simple as possible.If I need to, I also want to be able to print the entire list, not just for each Item. What would be the easiest way to make ...

Outlook Settings #9
Does anyone know of a freeware version of the Save My Settings Wizard for Office 2007? I know that Microsoft has dropped the utility for XP users with 2007, and I would like to find something that we can use in my company. Through 2003, we were able to teach introductory courses in Office and have the things they had set up available when they got back to their desk. Thanks! ...