I'm getting a protocol error when I send emails through outlook.

I set my outlook to retrieve messages from my webmail account through Cox.
Yesterday my virusscanner, McAfee, started reporting protocol errors.  When I
click the error is reads: "response received is 552: the message exceeds the
system limit of 200 and was not sent.  consult the online help for your email
program for more information on the error.  Contact your email provider if
the problem persists".

I have contacted cox and they say there is nothing wrong with either the
SMTP or the POP.  I guess I'm turning to you all for answers as to how I can
fix this.

Additional information:  I've disabled my virusscanner and it still reports
the error; even while disabled.  Please advise. (apinto@cox.net)

A.J. <A.J. @discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

> I set my outlook to retrieve messages from my webmail account through
> Cox. Yesterday my virusscanner, McAfee, started reporting protocol
> errors.  When I click the error is reads: "response received is 552:
> the message exceeds the system limit of 200 and was not sent.
> consult the online help for your email program for more information
> on the error.  Contact your email provider if the problem persists".
>
> I have contacted cox and they say there is nothing wrong with either
> the SMTP or the POP.  I guess I'm turning to you all for answers as
> to how I can fix this.

The 552 error is a server-side error that means it has run out of room.  The
server producing the error can be either yours or the receipient's, although
if it happens with all the messages you try to send, I'd say it's your SMTP
server with the problem, although that's not a very typical condition.  At
any rate, it's not Outlook's problem.
--
Brian Tillman

> Additional information:  I've disabled my virusscanner and it still
> reports the error; even while disabled.  Please advise.
> (apinto@cox.net)

0
tillman1952 (16053)
6/7/2006 12:02:39 AM
Bill,

Thanks for the reply.  I'm slowly starting to get down to the root problem.
I guess my next step is to talk to my email provider for the solution.  Do
you have any recommendations on how I can ask the right question?  Last time
I asked them it didn't get resolved.

"Brian Tillman" wrote:

> A.J. <A.J. @discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
>
> > I set my outlook to retrieve messages from my webmail account through
> > Cox. Yesterday my virusscanner, McAfee, started reporting protocol
> > errors.  When I click the error is reads: "response received is 552:
> > the message exceeds the system limit of 200 and was not sent.
> > consult the online help for your email program for more information
> > on the error.  Contact your email provider if the problem persists".
> >
> > I have contacted cox and they say there is nothing wrong with either
> > the SMTP or the POP.  I guess I'm turning to you all for answers as
> > to how I can fix this.
>
> The 552 error is a server-side error that means it has run out of room.  The
> server producing the error can be either yours or the receipient's, although
> if it happens with all the messages you try to send, I'd say it's your SMTP
> server with the problem, although that's not a very typical condition.  At
> any rate, it's not Outlook's problem.
> --
> Brian Tillman
> >
> > Additional information:  I've disabled my virusscanner and it still
> > reports the error; even while disabled.  Please advise.
> > (apinto@cox.net)

0
AJ (77)
6/7/2006 12:15:01 AM
A.J. <AJ@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

> Bill,

Who's Bill?

> Thanks for the reply.  I'm slowly starting to get down to the root
> problem. I guess my next step is to talk to my email provider for the
> solution.  Do you have any recommendations on how I can ask the right
> question?  Last time I asked them it didn't get resolved.

It would help if you could see if the error indicates which server is
complaining, but pointing out that the error is definitely a server error
(there's no sane way they can deny that) is your first task.
--
Brian Tillman

0
tillman1952 (16053)

Outlook 2003 and junkmail and rules
the outlook 2003 junkmail filter worked well until i added a simple rule to move all incoming messages for my 2nd email account to a folder. the spam addressed to that email account remains in the folder i specified. i could not find any way to configure the junkmail filter to make it function properly. it appears that all my new messages must remain in the inbox folder for the junk mail filter to be effective. ...

MSCOMCTL.OCX runtime error
I am trying to use an older program (developed probably around 2003/4). When I attempt to run it I get the following message: > > Run-time error '339': > > Component 'MSCOMCTL.OCX' or one of its dependencies not correctly > registered: a file is missing or invalid > I found this website from google, this specific thread: http://forums.techarena.in/vista-help/845481.htm so I decided to try doing what was suggested in that thread. None of the things that were suggested helped, then it mentioned something about dependency walker. I opened the ...

Using Outlook Custom Forms through OWA
Hi all, Is there any way to implement this? We have an Exchange 2003 server with Sp2. Users out of office hope to use outlook custom forms through OWA. Can this be done? ...

CRM 4 bulk email
I am trying to send bulk email from the quick campaigns, everything looks good - but when I go to System settings it gives me a 'send pending' message, as if I need to 'do' something else. I've checked the box to auto send on completion. Anyone else having this problem? -- Jen This is ok for a short time. emails are not send directly - this is a task of the asynchronous service of crm. and: sometimes the email-router is a bit ... slow. there is a patch around to speed it up: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/952019/en-us ...

Email accounts not recognized in Send/Receive
running outlook 2002 under winxp prof on new IBM Thinkpad T40. last night when i hit send/receive nothing happened. it had been working. now when i if i write an email and clicks accounts to select the email account to send from, a fatal error notice appears. so it appears that somehow the pop email section of outlook 2002 is just not funstioning. any help apprciated. tried the knowledge base and the repair functions - nothing sems to address this issue. opa Have you run "Detect and Repair"? "opa" <mace@marriagealive.com> wrote in message news:07a601c357e2$2d...

Outlook 2003 error #16
My PC crashed last night, and when I restarted it, Outlook 2003 gave an error message that the personal folders had been improperly terminated, and it was trying to recover. That message disappeared after a few seconds, and a normal-looking Outlook window came up. But now, when I try to send/recieve email, I get the error message: Task 'Verizon Main - Receiving' reported error (0x80040600) : 'Unknown Error 0x80040600' Is there a way to recover Outlook without losing the inbox, which contains numerous unread emails? Running Vista Home Premium edition. In the first in...

Problems Launching Outlook (2002)
When I launch Outlook...it seems to freeze up on me. Takes several minutes to load....once loaded I can send & receive e-mails w/ out problem. However, the launching is driving me nuts...my in/out server settings are correct.....Any suggestions? Thanks for any assistance... Steve Close Outlook. Find and rename outcmd.dat to .old. (If using Windows 2000 or XP, you will need to enable searching hidden and system folders.) Once you have done so, reopen Outlook and it should open fine. You will need to rebuild any custom toolbars or customizations as the file outcmd.dat controls...

Unhandled Exception error on few accounts
Hello, On just a few accounts, if I go to History or Activities, I get the following unhandled exception: [SoapException: Server was unable to process request.] System.Web.Services.Protocols.SoapHttpClientProtocol.ReadResponse(SoapClientMessage message, WebResponse response, Stream responseStream, Boolean asyncCall) +1496 System.Web.Services.Protocols.SoapHttpClientProtocol.Invoke(String methodName, Object[] parameters) +218 Microsoft.Crm.Platform.Proxy.ActivityPointerWebService.RollupByObject(Guid rollupById, String rollupByName, RollupType rollupType, QueryBase queryExpress...

A Crystal Beginner

GP 10 new install (trial)
Hello, I installed a trial version of GP 10 on a standalone PC to evaluate it. Install seems to complete without problem (includes SQL 2005 install) but when I first want to run Utilities I get an error message " an error occurred while using the bcp utility - data was not correctly copied to the server..." It says it's either a BCP install or ODBC issue. Re-installed everything, same result. Would anybody have a clue? This problem occurs if the User Account Control (UAC) feature is enabled in Windows Vista. However, you must disable the UAC feature if you want to run M...

Outlook Activation/PDA outlook version
Microsoft will not fully activate a OUTLOOK program that came with my Toshiba PDA, they say "cannot activate due to already activated on another machine", I deleated the program on the machine they mention however still dosent activate. Trying to work through Microsoft they wont help cause Toshiba sold me that version. if so how can microsoft limit my outlook and not answer my qustion. ...

Update a note on a meeting but not send updates out to all attende
After a meeting request was created and sent to all our attendees, I want to add note to that meeting on my calendar but I don't want other attendees to get the note I am saving. If you are only adding to the note, no update should be sent. What version of Outlook? What addins do you have installed? -- Diane Poremsky [MVP - Outlook] Outlook Tips: http://www.outlook-tips.net/ Outlook & Exchange Solutions Center: http://www.slipstick.com/ Outlook Tips by email: mailto:dailytips-subscribe-request@lists.outlooktips.net EMO - a weekly newsletter about Outlook and Excha...

Outlook won't close
I'm running Outlook2000 under WinXP and when I close Outlook it either hangs in memoey and continues to run or the mail icon stays up in the taskbar. I then have to open the task manager and kill it there. I've installed the latest Office service packs and searched the knowlege base but cannot find a similar problem posted. I believe I've had this problem as far back as the Win98 days. Anyone have an idea how i can fix this? I'm betting it's just taking so long you're assuming it's locked when it's simply taking a long time. I assume when you close it i...

"Compile error in hidden module: GlobalCodeModule"
Hi, we have 3 versions of office installed 2003, 2007, 2010. We have had no problems with that until a week ago or so. In Word 2003 we have code in a global template which uses a treeview control from mscomctl.ocx. I'm not sure that this is the problem though. I have tried to uncheck the reference to theat control and save the template, but then I get another error message "The disk is full. etc etc". I can't save the template after removing the reference or doing any other editing in that template. This not only occurring on my computer. I suspect a rec...

sale for outlook
crating a task in sales for outlook client using the CRM task button only makes a task in outlook folder, and does not make a crm task. but in the oulook folder its classified as a crm task. Any help would be Appriciated . outlook 2002. arggg ...

Why isn't Outlook downloading all messages
I'm running Outlook 2007 on a Windows Vista 64bit machine with 8GBs of Ram. I've been noticing that Outlook doesn't always download all messages from my ISP. It will download 95% of them, but then it leaves some messages on the server. I can see them if I log into my webmail, but OUtlook doesn't download them. If I restart Outlook, it will see them and download. Is this a common problem? Do I need to reinstall? Jason, Once again, your ISP may have a limit that you are exceeding. "Jason Klein" <JasonKlein@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in mess...

Combo Box Yes/No error
Hello. I have a form that I want to add a function in the footer that will allow me to sort the records based on whether they are active or inactive. The field in my table is a yes/no check box that is check for yes and unchecked for no. I have tried to use a combo box with 2 columns, Active and Inactive with corresponding fields yes/no check boxes. I set it up as a 2 column count combo box and hid the yes/no column so active/inactive would appear. I get an error that the expression is too complex.... The information is passed to my query to the Active Yes/No column by using: [Forms]![E...

Get paid while you get online!!

Converting Outlook files #2
Hi, In a magazine article that I read, it said that when moving from Outlook 2002 or earlier to Outlook 2003, you should convert the file to the new format that is found in 2003, but how can I do that BTW. I don't want to loose all of the documents and setting that are already associated with the current file -- Thank you in Advance Merci a l'Avance Martin In Outlook 2003, File->New->Outlook Data File->Type->Personal Folders File. Do not select the 97-2002 format. Then drag and drop your folders from the old to the new. --� Milly Staples [MVP - Outlook] Post...

IMF Appending to the Subject of email message
It seems as though IMF is appending the word [SPAM] to email messages deemed as spam. My Spam server doesn't do this and also emails messages being sent internally are being appended. Does IMF actually have this option or maybe is it something else causing this action? I really need to know how to disable if its IMF. Thanks IMF does not alter subject or content of messages - it simply stamps SCL (Spam Confidence Level) property that is than used to either drop the mail at the gateway or move it to either your Junk Mail or Inbox folders depending on your threshold settings. C...