I get a message that says "restart Outlook". How do I do that?

I am unable to read attachments. Whenever I try to read them, the message I
receive is, " the messaging interface has returned an unknown error. If the
problems persists, restart "Outlook".

Also, when I look under "Programs", I have 3 Microsoft Outlooks loaded. I'm
not sure how this happened, or if I need to delete any of them, or if by
deleting any of them, I'll lose some information. I'm not sure if these 2
problems are related.
0
sunluver (1)

"sunluver" <sunluver@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I am unable to read attachments. Whenever I try to read them, the
>message I
> receive is, " the messaging interface has returned an unknown error.
> If the
> problems persists, restart "Outlook".
>
> Also, when I look under "Programs", I have 3 Microsoft Outlooks
> loaded. I'm
> not sure how this happened, or if I need to delete any of them, or if
> by
> deleting any of them, I'll lose some information. I'm not sure if
> these 2
> problems are related.

Outlook and Word have had a bug for a long time that they may not close
correctly when exited.  You'll see outlook.exe and/or winword.exe listed
in Task Manager under the Processes tab although you have exited and
supposedly unloaded those applications.  The excuse is that it must be
something, like an add-on, that doesn't let Outlook or Word to close,
but I've seen it happen in a pristine install of Windows followed only
with an install of MS Office.  It happens.  When it does happen, any
subsequent instance of Outlook or Word may not behave correctly and can
even affect use of the operating system.  I've even seen the remnant
instance of outlook.exe keep trying to load a second instance of it, the
second instance dies in a couple seconds, and this continues
indefinitely while making the mouse cursor blink.

After exiting Outlook or Word, and when you experience problems with
them later (or in other applications or in Windows), check in Task
Manager and kill these remnant outlook.exe and winword.exe processes.
If you have an add-in that executes when Outlook closes, like the
Personal Folders Backup, you need to give it enough time to complete its
function before it can close which then will let Outlook close, so wait
a minute after closing Outlook before killing its process if it gets
stuck.

Post your replies to the newsgroup.  Share with others.
E-mail:  vanguard_help AT yahoo.com  (append "#NEWS#" to Subject)

Vanguard

Outlook 2003 error "The messaging interface has returned an unknown error if the problem persists restart outlook" #3
Hi, I am not able to perform actions like ReplyAll, Updating a task item.. on my outlook 2003, am getting the following error - The messaging interface has returned an unknown error if the problem persists restart outlook. Prior to this installtion i had outlook 2007 beta installed on my machine but I uninstalled it, actually during the uninstall process i had accidentally clicked the cancel button, later on i did the uninstallation from Control Panel. Then i tried installing outlook 2003 though the installation got executed smoothly but am not able to perform the above mentioned actions. Als...

Outlook 2003 error "The messaging interface has returned an unknown error if the problem persists restart outlook"
Hi, I am not able to perform actions like ReplyAll, Updating a task item.. on my outlook 2003, am getting the following error - The messaging interface has returned an unknown error if the problem persists restart outlook. Prior to this installtion i had outlook 2007 beta installed on my machine but I uninstalled it, actually during the uninstall process i had accidentally clicked the cancel button, later on i did the uninstallation from Control Panel. Then i tried installing outlook 2003 though the installation got executed smoothly but am not able to perform the above mentioned actions. Als...

I get a message that says "restart Outlook". How do I do that?
I am unable to read attachments. Whenever I try to read them, the message I receive is, " the messaging interface has returned an unknown error. If the problems persists, restart "Outlook". Also, when I look under "Programs", I have 3 Microsoft Outlooks loaded. I'm not sure how this happened, or if I need to delete any of them, or if by deleting any of them, I'll lose some information. I'm not sure if these 2 problems are related. "sunluver" <sunluver@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:C73F593F-A5B1-4A03-BC0A-FB3091C6...

Outlook 2003 error "The messaging interface has returned an unknown error if the problem persists restart outlook" #2
Hi, I am not able to perform actions like ReplyAll, Updating a task item.. on my outlook 2003, am getting the following error - The messaging interface has returned an unknown error if the problem persists restart outlook. Prior to this installtion i had outlook 2007 beta installed on my machine but I uninstalled it, actually during the uninstall process i had accidentally clicked the cancel button, later on i did the uninstallation from Control Panel. Then i tried installing outlook 2003 though the installation got executed smoothly but am not able to perform the above mentioned actions. Als...

intermittent error having to restart Outlook (long question)
Help please! History and Info: Running Win XP Pro / Office XP with Frontpage. Everything fine until I bought a new Maxtor 160 GB Hard Drive. transfered all files to new HD with utility that came with drive. Seemed to work fine. Using old drive as slave to new one. No problem so far. Also using Norton Antivirus and Norton Utilities, ZoneAlarm Pro. Problem(s): Beside the occasional program losing their icons but still working correctly (a non-issue) and some other minor problems that come with using a computer; when sending/receiving I would get an error "Service provider re...

Can't Restart Outlook
I recently upgraded to Office 2003, When I use Microsoft Outlook I open up Program and get my e-mail. Close it and the Outlook icon is still in the taskbar. When I want to check my e-mail again without rebooting, it does not open. I need to reboot to check it again. What can I do to fix this.? ...

Outlook 2003 error "The messaging interface has returned an unknown error if the problem persists restart outlook" <1171052160.017239.244810@j27g2000cwj.googlegroups.com>
I have seen some posts in and around which points some issues with Add-Ins. Remove all non native Outlook Add-Ins, restart OL and see if it solves your problem. Goto Tools > Options > Other tab > Advanced Options > AddIn Manager and remove all non native AddIns. See if it can help you. Thanks! dgoyani http://dgoyani.blogspot.com/ EggHeadCafe - .NET Developer Portal of Choice http://www.eggheadcafe.com ...

Office 2007. The messaging interface has returned an unknown error. If the problem persists, restart Outlook
I am getting the following error. Does anyone know how to correct this error? Thanks in advance. Hi Bill, >the "messaging interface" for Outlook is the called "MAPI". So your "MAPI" >could be corrupted or the "connector" to this interface (your Outlook >profile) could be damaged. - Try the "repair" function of Office 2007 If this wouldn�t work you can try "fixmapi.exe" (Start/Run: fixmapi.exe => OK) You would not get any response after you start the fixmapi tool. Try to start Outlook. If this wouldn�t work: ...

"The default signature is reset when you restart Outlook 2003"
Hi, We have the problem listed in http://support.microsoft.com/kb/918561 It is only happening with 1 user, everyone else is fine. There is no registry key under HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Office\11.0\User Settings\{77BC8EAD-D6F6-4BBD-8B11-2CDD56ACB9F0}\Create\Software\Microsoft\Office\11.0\Outlook\Setup Everytime the user logs into terminal server or his PC, he gets the firstrun type scenario where it appears to be setting outlook up for first time (blue bar) then his profile opens up. His signature is there, just not selected. I have tried renaming his profile folder and a...

The messaging interface has returned an unknown error. If the problem persists, restart Outlook.
I am using Outlook 2007. Our IT department just migrated us to a new Exchange server. Everything was working until they did this. Now, when I attempt to create a new meeting, and click on Scheduling to add people and find a an open time slot, I get this error. Everything else seems I have tried deleting the OST file, disabling Cached Exchange Mode, etc. based on other posts/solutions, but none of these have worked. If I attempt to look at a meeting that I previously created, I get "Item could not be found" in some cases, in other cases, I get the original error, and then it take...

The messaging interface has returned an unknown error-if the problem persists, restart Outlook
Hi - I am running Outlook 2002, SP-2, under Windows XP Home edition, SP-1. I use MS Word as my message editor. For the past few months, I get the following error message in a dialog from Outlook: 'The messaging interface has returned an unknown error-if the problem persists, restart Outlook' This occurs when I either create a new message or note or edit an existing message or note and then leave it open for more than just a minute or two, rather than closing or saving and closing it. I have run the "Detect and Repair" menu option in Outlook several times, but that has n...

'The messaging interface has returned an unknown error-if the problem persists, restart Outlook'
Hi - I am running Outlook 2002, SP-2, under Windows XP Home edition, SP-1. I use MS Word as my message editor. For the past few months, I get the following error message in a dialog from Outlook: 'The messaging interface has returned an unknown error-if the problem persists, restart Outlook' This occurs when I either create a new message or note or edit an existing message or note and then leave it open for more than just a minute or two, rather than closing or saving and closing it. I have run the "Detect and Repair" menu option in Outlook several times, but that has n...

"The messaging interface has returned an unknown error. If the problem persists, please restart Outlook"
Hi, I have had a problem with Outlook for the last few days. If I try to reply, forward or start a new message an error pops up saying "The messaging interface has returned an unknown error. If the problem persists, please restart Outlook". I have obviously restarted Outlook many times and restarted the computer repeatedly too. I've run Windows Update and found nothing new that needs to be downloaded and the rest of my computer appears to be working fine. I'm running Microsoft Office Outlook 2007 on Windows Vista Home Premium. Any help would be very greatly appreciated...

Shortcuts lost every time I restart Outlook 2003
I would like to set up some shortcuts to various Exchange 2000 folders. This would seem straight forward enough. However, if I add a PF to 'Outlook Shortcuts', when I shutdown and restart OL2003, the shortcuts are lost, as are all of my own mailbox shortcuts (Inbox, Contacts, Calendar etc). If I create another shortcut group, although my mailbox shortcuts are retained, any PF shortcuts added to the new group are lost when I restart OL2003. Any ideas? Neil ...